Search for content in message boards

Dutch Jewish Cigar Makers

Dutch Jewish Cigar Makers

Posted: 6 Nov 2008 12:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bickstein
My great-great grandfather, Isaac Bickstein, from what I have been able to find out was a cigar maker in New York City, immigrated from Spitalfields, England in 1870 (where he was also a cigar maker) and was born in Holland/Amsterdam (abt 1829). From a general perspective I am interested in learning more about the history of Dutch Jewish Cigar Makers, but also could use some help in tracking down Holland/Amsterdam birth records. Bickstein has, as you can imagine, been spelled a multitude of ways - from Bekstean to Bickostein. Thank you for any information, direction and encouragement! I am fairly new at this research, but am have fun and am hooked! Tamara

Re: Dutch Jewish Cigar Makers

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 1:54AM GMT
I most likely can't help you, but agree that it is fun and easy to get hooked. I'm new at this also. Your message caught my eye because my ancestors (paternal) also came from Spitalfields (1851) and were cigar makers. They settled in the Brooklyn, NY area.

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 2:12AM GMT
Go to Genlias, a wonderful dutch database where you will no doubt find many of you Dutch ancestors

Mark Shofron
shofron@yahoo.com

Posted: 11 Nov 2008 9:27AM GMT
Surnames: Bickstein
Thanks! Mine settled in Manhattan area. Though my g-g grandmother did die in the Bronx. She is buried at Woodlawn. Finding records in Holland is my current hurdle. Take care and happy hunting!

Posted: 11 Nov 2008 9:28AM GMT
Thanks! I will give them a try!

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 1:39AM GMT
Hi,

I, too, have ancestors who were Dutch cigarmakers. I will check through my materials to see if I can find anything quickly for you. However, a few comments: (a) your ancestor's last name in the Netherlands may have begun with "beek" or beeck" and ended with "stijn or "styn," not "stein"; (b) the Dutch kept excellent vital records and you can order them through a Family History Center (Mormon); (c) the Dutch government sponsors the Genlias project on the web, though I have not had much luck with Amsterdam residents; and (d) most importantly, visit the Dutch Jewish Genealogical Database (http://www.dutchjewry.org). Good luck.

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 12:25PM GMT
Thank you so much for my next clues! Wonderful hints and a direction to go in - especially about the last name something I have really been struggling with. I feel like I am on a scavenger hunt. Take care, Tamara

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 12:48PM GMT
Just a quick update - I did find a Ezechiel Biksteen at the Dutch Jewish Genealogical site - Amsterdam resident between 1851 - 1853 - occupation Cigarmaker! Thanks again for the great tip.

Posted: 22 Nov 2008 6:33PM GMT
Check out the other databases on the site. There is a lot of information there. There are other Biksteens (and Biksteins), but the ones I saw looked like they came from a generation earlier. However, they could be your relatives. Dutch Jewish naming practices help quite a bit. For example, Simon Isaac Biksteen (born 5 Jan 1814) was the son of Isaac Levie Biksteen (born 9 Oct 1788), who, in turn, was the son of Levie Simon Bikstein (born ± 1750), who was the son of Simon Levie Bikstein. See http://shum.huji.ac.il/~dutchjew/genealog/ashkenazi/index.ht.... A person's middle name (male or female) is the father's first name. You will also see other naming patterns. In the case of Isaac Levie Biksteen it is possible that he was named after his material grandfather: his mother was Lea Isaac Hoenderman. You will need to locate your Isaac in the Amsterdam birth registers to go back another generation. If you are near a LDS Family History Center you can order the necessary microfilms. In case you are not familiar with that process I will send post another message shortly.

Posted: 22 Nov 2008 6:40PM GMT
You should track down a book called "The Forerunners: Dutch Jewry in the North American Diaspora" by Prof. Robert Swierenga. Very interesting book about the experiences of Dutch Jews in America (focusing on particular communities). I bought a copy, but you can probably order it through your local library.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic