Edited: 28 Jun 2009 12:53PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Cherry, Robertson
Searching for ancestors of Hunter name. Oldest
I have found is Francis Hunter b~ 1806 and Eliza Cherry B~1810
Their children were Jonas b 1834, Jonathan b 1836 , George b1832
and Frances b 1844. All were born and christened in
Girvan, Ayr, Scotland. Jonas is next found in
Glasgow married to Elizabeth Robertson.
Children born Elizabeth b 1858, Margaret b 1862, Robert b 1860.
It is suggested that they came to Canada 1866 and settled in Ontario.Any or all info accepted gratefully thanks, Susan

HUNTERS IN SCOTLAND (John Kelso Hunter)

Margie (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2000 8:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jun 2009 12:54PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter
I am a descendant of John Kelso Hunter, born December 15, 1802 in the parish of Symington, and died on February 3, 1873 in Glasgow.
He was an artist and author of "The Retrospect of An Artist's Life, published in 1912 in Kilmarnock.
My father was born in Greenock on July 27, 1921 and moved to the US in 1923. His mother's name was Marion Barr.
I am very much interested in learning more about my ancestry. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

HUNTERS IN SCOTLAND (Francis Hunter)

Michael Hunter (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2000 3:03PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2009 12:55PM GMT
Francis hunter was acommon name in our family I do not know the dates but there were two francis hunter's which were master mariner's ( I think about the 1800,s). we also have a ancestor who emigratedto canada, if any of this sounds like it could be of any help , I would be happy to find out the correct dates and names, places.

Yours sincerely

Mike Hunter

HUNTERS IN SCOTLAND (John Kelso Hunter)

Posted: 29 Jul 2000 7:11PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2009 12:54PM GMT
Hi! I,m afraid that we might not be on the
same trail. My ggggrandparents were born,
married and had children in Girvan. They were
Francis Hunter~ 1806 and Eliza Cherry~ 1810.
They were married in 1831. Their children
were George, Jonathan, Jonas and Margaret. He
married Margaret or Elizabeth Robinson, and
then they moved to Glasgow. Eventually they
left Scotland and immigrated to Canada about
1866. Anything even remotly related to mine?
Susan in Canada

HUNTERS IN SCOTLAND (Elizabeth Hunter Fraser)

Shelley (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2000 10:06AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2009 12:57PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Fraser, Spear, McKenzie, McKenzie, Albert
I may not be on the right path, but I'm looking for Elizabeth Hunter who m. James Fraser. I don't have any dates yet, but I know they had at least one child, Harry Arhibald m. to Grace Mc or MacKenzie Spear who had several children including my grandmother Minnie Albert m. to George Mannon Spear. The family originated in Scotland and ended up in Canada - Nova Scotia and New Brunswick I believe, but I'm not sure where Elizabeth was originally from. I know this is vague, but any information that might help me further would be appreciated.

HUNTERS IN SCOTLAND - James Hunter

Posted: 6 Aug 2000 6:14AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2009 12:57PM GMT
My gr grandfather was born approx 1847 in Scotland, married Catherine Chalmers, emigrated to Canada about 1869, lived in Ontario until approx 1920 when they moved to Saskatchewan, died in 1924 (Catherine died in 1926). James had two brothers who came to Canada with him, Peter and David. David was also married and had two children when they came to Canada, but don't know about Peter. Are we related?

HUNTERS IN SCOTLAND

Posted: 11 Nov 2000 4:37AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2009 12:58PM GMT
This was, and is, a very common name in Ayrshire and Glasgow (whence they followed the shipping routes to the new worlds of America, Australia etc). There are several listed in "Jones Directory of Glasgow 1789" and anyone wanting to research their ancestors from there should make a pilgrimage to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, reputedly the largest reference library in Europe.

HUNTERS IN SCOTLAND

Posted: 11 Nov 2000 10:16AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2009 12:59PM GMT
Thanks to Alex for the info on my topic. Just recently I have found where and my gggrandparents were married.It sure restarts the fire to search again. I'm a bit confused because of course I didn't keep records of where I have already searched. Learning lessons all the time. Thanks again ! Susan

Re: John Kelso Hunter

Ian Kelso Hunter (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2002 10:48AM GMT
Hi Margie

I am related to John Kelso Hunter and have a copies of his book "Life Studies", I also have other information that may be of use to you. I believe that John Kelso would be my GGUncle.

If you would like to explore this more could you give me an address to post details to.

Regards

Ian

Re: John Kelso Hunter

Posted: 7 Aug 2004 2:50AM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2004 1:10AM GMT
Just wanted to say thank you for posting the information on John Kelso Hunter. I am a direct descendant of him and I had no idea he was an artist nor author of a book about art. His daughter Anne Hunter married my (maternal) ggg grandfather John Laidley Duncan.

Regards
Sarah
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions