Search for content in message boards

William Smith Young in NY/NJ

William Smith Young in NY/NJ

Ken Francis (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2000 1:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jan 2012 4:39PM GMT
Surnames: YOUNG
My great great grandfather was William Smith Young, a sea captain for the Fall River Lines in Long Island. He was born 3/13/1829 in Port Jefferson L.I. and died 6/8/1888.

I have information that his parents were Daniel B. Young (4/6/1787 - 10/11/1867) and Catherine Gates (6/15/1796-?) but I have been unable to verify this information.

Does anyone recognize these names and dates? I have been told that this lineage goes back to the 1600's in Long Island, but I haven't been able to make a connection to the books I have read so far.

William Smith Young

Gail Young Soprano (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2000 3:46PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2012 4:40PM GMT
This message is for Ken Francis. Ken I am Billy Young's daughter. I spoke with you quite a while ago. You send me information which I thank you so much for. Just to let you know I am still trying to locate our ancestors just as you are. I am planning to go to Port Jefferson Long Island to see if I can get a birth certificate for William Smith Young. Did you ever find out how E.F.C Young is related to us? I researched him back to England. Much of his family came from Long Island. Your Aunt Madeline is very sure he is related. I cannot find out how. Can I have your e-mail address so I can update you on anything I find?

William Smith Young

Ken Francis (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2000 11:28AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2012 4:40PM GMT
Sorry it took so long to respond. I am not on line. I still have no new info. It could be that the Captain's mother was Shinnecock Indian and therefore were no written records of her real name. The info I got from Aunt M was that she was Catherine Gates but I dont know where that info came from. If you find out anything you cant email my brother in JC at pomix16@aol.net

Re: William Smith Young in NY/NJ

Posted: 9 Jan 2012 4:01PM GMT
Surnames: Young, Tice,
Ken,
Your message was posted several years ago - I hope you are still reachable. William Smith Young was my great grandfather. Yesterday as I was doing research on ancestry.com for the first time I found some information regarding W.S. Young that may be erroneous. Possibly it does not affect your lineage. First - is there any "family lore" about W.S. Young - any specific oral stories passed down about him in your family? The error that I found was not in the census reports or vital records - it was in the "Bulger family tree." If you go to this link you can piece together the picture.

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/25076885/person/1603675321

It says that WS Young was married to Sarah Elizabeth Allen. But that was not her complete name - apparently it was truncated and they left out her last name "Tice." Allen was a family name that was given to some family members as a first name for boys and middle name for girls (including my mother, Sarah's grand-daughter). So if you take Sarah's ancestry back any further you will get two different results if you choose "Allen" or "Tice." And the Bulger family tree makes it look like WS Smith had two simultaneous families. The 1880 census sheds light on the issue. You can also click on a link on the same page and see it. At 51 years of age WS Young was listed as a widower with with 4 children - my grandmother, Viola was 3. Then there is a 5th person listed as a 20 y/o daughter, "Katie Tice." Katie is the evidence that Sarah's maiden name was Tice. Apparently, Katie was a niece who was helping out with the kids after Sarah died in 1877.

I can tell you a few things about WS Young if you are interested (maybe you know more about him than I do).

Hope you get this message.

Thanks, Janine Jagger

Posted: 2 Feb 2012 2:15AM GMT
Hello
William Smith Young was my great great grandfather. I believe I have heard your name from Madeline Francis.Her mom
and my grandfather were brother and sister. Are you from the Carolinas and did you get a fellowship at a hospital? UI am told that William Smith Young was married twice .Sarah was his second wife. She had Katie Tice and Ben Taylor from her first marriage. Did you find any info on William Smiths parents? The story goes that his family put his mother in a mental home and he refused to ever talk about his family after that. My father and Madeline (we call her Toodles) were cousins and Madeline was the person who gave me so much information.I have a copy of a letter written by the author to a Jane Jagger.The book was written about Captain William Smith Young and the book was given to her by the author.It was called Salts of the Sound.
I would love to hear from you.

Gail Young Soprano

Posted: 2 Feb 2012 4:25AM GMT
Surnames: Young Tice
Hi Gail! Thanks for responding. I guess we're cousins. I'd like to get in direct touch asap - you already told me some things I'm looking for. My e-mail is jcj@virginia.edu My day tel # is 434-924-5995. I'm in Virginia, not the Carolinas. You can google me to get an idea of what I do.

I've got some interesting things to tell you. I don't recall what message I sent you - what details I gave you but I am the daughter of Jane Stewart Jagger (daughter of Viola Fancher Young, daughter of Wm S. Young) so I am the great granddaughter of Wm Smith Young. I have a serious interest in pursuing his lineage for reasons I will explain. No one in my family had looked into the geneology of that branch so even the details you just gave me are new. My mother talked about Toodles but I did not get any details of family history - my mother was not curious about these things. I saw Katie Tice listed as a daughter of WSY in the 1880 census - is that the evidence of a second marriage? Whose marriage - Sarah's or his? Tice was Sarah's maiden name. Why would a child of her first marriage bear her maiden name? Did they both have two marriages? Daniel Young was a little older than Katie Tice so Sarah could not have been his mother - implying that they both had children by previous marriages. Things don't quite add up. Do you know what Sarah died of? She died so young - 39 or 40. Do you know what he died of? But I'll be very interested to hear everthing you know. Yes, I have the book Salts of the Sound. But I have a lot more than that now. Looking forward to talking to you!
Janine

Posted: 4 Feb 2012 11:11PM GMT
Gail - Trying to find you. I'm not very knowledgeable at making my way around ancestry.com Would you e-mail me at jcj@virginia.edu also home # 434-985-2706. I've got some interesting things to tell you.
Janine Jagger

Posted: 5 Feb 2012 4:33AM GMT
Hello Janine
I am so excited to find you on the boards. Not on here very often. Work lots of hours during the week. I am so excited to find you on the boards. William Smith Young was my gr gr grandfather. Sarah Elizabeth Allen was married twice. First to David Tice and they had two children Katie
and Ben Taylor Tice.Sarah Elizabeth was born 5/11/1839 died
8/8/1879. William Smith Young was married to Harriet Hallock (first wife)they were married 1/20/1853. He had 4 children with her and 5 children with Sarah Elizabeth Allen Tice Young. 3 died young and 1 lived to 27. His name was Daniel Brown Young. He married Sarah Anderson on 7/20/1881. He died in 1887. Had 2 children Lida Viola and Alice B Young.Lida had 3 children.
William Smith Young had 5 children with Sarah(my gr gr grandmother. I believe from my records that your mother Jane Allen Young got her middle name from Sarah's maiden name.
I have always been told by Madeline that EFC Young from Jersey City is related to us. He was considered the founder of Jersey City. All of these people are buried in the cemetery about a mile from my house. I have a picture of Wm Smith Young taken in 1866. He looks just like my brother. (very spooky) lol. St Peters College just had a historian speaking about him and the Youngs of Jersey
City. There are pictures of his mansions in Jersey City on one of the boards under Hbaker. I am terrible with the computer but I can copy everything I have and send it to you.I can give you my ancestry password and you can go on and fill in anything you know. You can also see what I have posted. We are not sure of Wm Smith Young's parents because we were told he hid all of his relatives and wanted nothing to do with them because they put his mother in a home in Atlantic City. I have been searching for 20 years. I have also been serching how EFC is related to us, because I have traced his line back to the 1500's.
I will try to call you tomorrow. My phone number is 201-455-5780. my e-mail is sopranog@optonline.net

I also have a salts of the sound book. Madeline sent me a copy of the letter Mcadams wrote to your mom. I put it in the book.

I am under gsoprano03 on ancestry. Young line

Hope to speak with you soon.

Gail Young Soprano

I also have the write up of your fellowship. Madeline sent it to me. What a wonderful wonderful accomplishment Janine.

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 2:54PM GMT
Frpm Port jefferson historical society, NY
Mr. Francis, I've been working on your line for a couple of years. Will you tell me the source for the info you have, such as a bible record, for example?
Kathleen Cash
Director of Research
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions