Search for content in message boards

Mcavenia or McAvinia

Mcavenia or McAvinia

McAvenia (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McAvenia, Greenan, Donnelly
Looking for any info on Bermard McAvenia and Cornelius McAvenia families living in the Ballinamore area about 1830's.Also a Hugh Mc about the same time.

Correction - I meant Greenan posts

Posted: 24 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 5:38PM GMT
Please check the Greenan posts at the Co. Leitrim Queries website. Jean

Your surnames

Posted: 24 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 5:38PM GMT
Did you click on Surname List at the top of the website, (Grennan posts); there was a family living in Ballinamore I think might be connected to your family. Jean

McAvinia-McAvenia from Ballinamore

Posted: 17 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Sep 2002 1:16AM GMT
Surnames: McAvinia, McAvenia, Donnelly, Green
My Grandfather Francis Joseph McAvinia, born 1875, in Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim; the son of James McAvenia and Ann Green (hold birth certificate); wife Bridgid Donnelly.
Lived on Terraces. Have been in Ballinamore to visit uncle Phelim and Aunt Bridie (Bridgid), both now deceased. Interested in exchanging info. Have research. My father was John Colm McAvinia, born in Ballinamore in 1909 (siblings: James Francis, Bernard, Patrick, Phelim, Marie,Rose, Johanilla,Ita and Bridgid. My Middle name is Francis.
I'm located in NJ by Philadelphia.

Re: Mcavenia or McAvinia

Posted: 25 Jun 2004 9:34PM GMT
Surnames: McAvinue, McAvenia, McAvinne
I, too, am looking for a Cornelius McAvenia, as he is listed in several places. Actual name was Cornelius McAvinue. He was born in Cavan, I believe, married in 1836-37 in Ballyconnell, County Cavan, Ireland, moved to the Blackpool area of England, had four children, moved to US, served in the Civil War, lived in New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. He was my great, great grandfather.
If this info connects in any way with your McAvinia, please contact me. Thanks, Pat Young

Jim Carroll (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 2004 10:19PM GMT
Surnames: McAvania, McAvaney,McAvinue
I have a GGGrandfather by the name of Cornelius McAvinue, he served in the U.S.Navy during the Civil War. His wife's name was Susan McKiernan, although some documents have it spelled McKernan and some have it McCarron. Cornelius was born in County Cavan about 1810 and had four children, Thomas, Peter, Mary and Bridget. Bridget was my GGrandmother, she was born in 1834. I hope that this information is of some help.

Posted: 13 Sep 2008 5:51AM GMT
Surnames: Devanny McAvaney
i was just searching through rootsweb archives of mailing lists and i saw yours and in regards to your gggrandfather cornelius dob 1810 could you please tell me if he had a brother johnathon [john] james or a cousin some rellie by that name please born 1809 from the county cavan my gggrandfather came to australia under some derivative of that name most common from family stories is devanny but after his marriage changed to mcavaney he migrated to australia [south australia actually] in 1840 could go on for hours telling stories but the long and short of it is i cant go back any further than 1809 because his father was not on birth registration and mother could only sign with an x and no records officially kept before the 1860's its hard unless you wish to pay a fortune and may not get anywhere i cant afford that so i just keep searching the net hope you can help out
Chris Read [nee McAvaney]

Posted: 20 Oct 2008 4:45PM GMT
Surnames: McAvinue, McElvaney, McAvinne
I am researching this surname and its variations. My Bartholomew McAvinue (McAvinne, McEvinne, McElvaney, McAvaney) was born in County Cavan, Ireland about 1804. He migrated to Albany NY in 1837.

Children = Patrick, John, Catherine, and Mary. Had a grandson named Owen McAvinue which seems to be common name among this line.

He had a brother Cornelius, mentioned in Bartholomew's 1868 will. At that time, Cornelius was of Watervliet, NY.

Posted: 20 Oct 2008 9:04PM GMT
Surnames: McAvinue, McElvaney, McAvinne
i am a direct descendant of a johnathon james devanny [as the family story goes of the name used when he migrated to south australia, australia in 1840] and shortly after marriage it was changed to mcavaney he was born in 1809 but on reading the message board posts and i have come across cornelius before and on the message board posts but the gentleman would not agree that we had the same family because of the many derivatives of the surname and nothing could be verified but to me there were too many coincidences same birth place/years same names throughout the family line its the same here on this message that i am answering and i know for a fact that the family migrated to america as well as australia i learnt from the gentleman that had cornelius joining the navy and fought in the civil war i am an australian pensioner and cant afford the exhorbitant fees to go further back than 1809 as if you read my earlier message thread how records were kept then in ireland and father was not regitered plus his mother could only sign with an x so please if you can help me out i will do the best to help you in any way my johnathon migrated out to australia in 1840 and went to work as a laborer on sir arthur kidman [famous south australian pioneering days] property as a general laborer if you ever reply to this would you please answer by using my personal email myblossom@bigpond.com another thing i know of all the derivatives of the surname but the most common one that anyone uses here is devanny but that is only heresay the other day searching the net came across an article in a newspaper [seemed to be a school paper i think] and it had an article of a mark [michael] mcavaney and the coloring of hair shape of face oh everything about him he is a true mcavaney from the point of us mcavaney's here in australia even his build it was a school call ILON HIGH SCHOOL in new york i sent an email to the paper and explained my position and asked if they could help me in comtacting him so will wait and see what happens i would love very much to hear from you and maybe you can help me fill in gaps in history i do have a family tree on ancestry but i am not a paid member it is a public tree i keep updating it but i do have everything on computer here and i could send a gedcom file to you if you wish hoping to hear from you soon chris read [nee mcavaney]

Posted: 20 Oct 2008 9:14PM GMT
Surnames: McAvenia McAvinia
please could you send me all the information you have on your family as i am from australia cant visit you but i am very interested in what you have and it may assist me with finding my gggrandfather's roots as well i will send you what info i have via gedcom file if you are able to open it and maybe we can help each other out in our research i do know that the family migrated to america as well as here in south australia, australia if you answer this please use my private email myblossom@bigpond.com thanking you chris read [nee mcavaney]
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions