Search for content in message boards

"Old" John Woods

"Old" John Woods

Posted: 28 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Mar 2003 2:23PM GMT
Surnames: Woods, Dorton, Robinson, Hoskins, Fugate, Lewis
Trying to find info on "Old" John Woods. He built the Woods Blockhouse in the 1790's in Laurel (then Knox Co), and he was suppose to own 3000 acres in Woods Creek section of Laurel County. Trying to find proof of his son Reuben Woods.
Posted: 30 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Woods
Thank you, looking forward to hearing anything. Rhonda

John Woods

Ken Cromer (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Cromer Renner French Storm McQueen
I have some information on John Woods that I got from Jan Sparkman's book "Our Fathers Before Us" it is mostly about the Cromers but one of John Cromer's daughters married a Woods, and it has a chapter on them. I will re-read it and see if it mentions your ancestor.

John Woods

Ken Cromer (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Cromer French Renner
I went back and reread Jan's book on the Cromers and John Wood is mentioned only as being the father of the John Wood who married Ann Cromer on Oct 11,1829. John was the son of John and Margaret Wood who owned more than three thousand acres of land in the Woods fork area of Laurel county and who built the Woods blockhouse at Hazel Patch in the early 1790s. Old John Wood was the first permanent resident of Laurel county. The Wood family was of German descent. They ran a sawmill in the Woods fork area in the 1820s near land that was granted to John, David, and Joseph Cromer(my gggrandfather). After the death of their first child John and Ann Cromer Wood moved to Indiana where their next eight children were born. In 1846 John Wood purchased land from his brother August G Wood and moved back to Laurel county. During the 1850s and 1860s John Wood held the position of County Surveyor of Laurel County. Their children were Thomas 1830 James 1832 Margaret 1833 Sophia 1836 Mary Ann 1838 Stephen 1840 Joanna 1842 Sharod 1844 Emeliza 1846 Paulina 1848 and David 1850. This was taken from Jan Sparkman's book "Our Fathers Before us" she lists scources Census reports of Laurel county, Centennial edition of Sentinel Echo, county records on file at the courthouse and Ky. Historical Society Archives. I hope this helps Ken Cromer
Posted: 3 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Woods
Thank you very much for the info.

Sophia Woods

Posted: 20 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2001 11:59PM GMT
Surnames: Woods, Warren
In response to the information provided by Ken Cromer on John Woods, can you tell me anything about Sophia, bn 1836? Did she marry a Robert Warren? Where in Indiana did this family live before coming back to Laurel County? Sophia may be my ggrandmother. Thanks

Cromer Warren connection

Ken Cromer (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Cromer Renner French Storm
I do know that there were some other Cromer Warren connections but I am not sure of the connections other than Wellington Warren.

Warren /Cromer

Ken Cromer (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Ann Cromer and John Wood had 2 daughters who married Warrens, Sophia born in 1836 married Robert Warren in 1854 and Mary Ann Wood born in 1838 married James H Warren in 1868. I can only specualate but Sophia was probably named for her grandmother Cromer (Sophia Whisman who married John Cromer) Since Mary Ann was 30 years old when she married James Warren it may have been a second marriage.

Laurel & Pulaski Cos. Warren & Whitaker

Jim Drew-Whitaker (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Warren, Whitaker

Hi Ken

Seems we are cousins a number of times over.

Have you been able to link the Laurel & Pulaski Warrens? Do you know who the Patriarch & Matriarch Warren are?

My great-grandmother Clementine Warren Whitaker was born (10 mar. 1868, LCK) out of wedlock but a very reliable source, cousin Zella Hash Speaks, who knew my g-grandmother very well says that g-grnadmother knew that her father was a Warren. My grandfather, James Whitaker, as a young man worked at a sawmill for a Warren. There was a close link between the Pulaski & Laurel Cos. Whitakers & Warrens. The following proves the Pulaski link:
28th Aprile 1849
James HarveyWhiteaker 's Will
Attest
Alfred Warren
Tillman Duncan
Giles Whiteaker
Charles Warren

State of Kentucky
Pulaski County Sct

Any information would be "greatfully" appreciated. Thanks. Jim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions