Search for content in message boards

JOHN HICKS AND MARGARET BURTON HICKS

JOHN HICKS AND MARGARET BURTON HICKS

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 4:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HICKS / BURTON
Searching for information on a John Hicks b. around 1869, in Kentucky and married to a Margaret Burton b. around 1874. They were the parents of my grandfather, Homer Orris Hicks, b. in Carter Co.. KY in 1896. Family lore has it that Homer was an orphan as a young boy, so I'm guessing both John and Margaret died in the late 1800s/early 1900s.

John Hicks was the son of William J. Hicks, b.1864 in Russell, VA and d. 1900.....and....Martha Jane (Buckner) Hicks, b. 1845 in Carter, KY, and d. 1918. John Hicks' sister is Mary Ellen (Hicks) Jacobs, b. 1864 and d. 1964.

Margaret Burton is believed to be tbe daughter of Caleb Paul Burton, b. 1828, in Russell, VA, and d. 1902......and.....Susannah (Harper) Burton, b. 1834 and d. 1867. Margaret Burton's aunt is Hilda Horne (Burton) Jacobs, b. 1832 in Russell, VA, d. 1914, in Carter, VA.

Any detail information on either John Hicks and/or Margaret (Burton) Hicks would be very much appreciated.

Re: JOHN HICKS AND MARGARET BURTON HICKS

Posted: 1 Aug 2013 6:46PM GMT
I'm having problems verifying Margaret Burton's origins. I have seen dates of her birth around 1864. By your dated listed of 1874, she couldn't be the daughter of Susannah (Harper)Burton as she had passed by that time.

Margaret does not appear in the 1870 census with Caleb Burton's family but does appear in the 1880 census with an age of 16 and listed as a daughter. Is there any chance that Margaret is the daughter of Caleb's second wife, Elizabeth Burchett from a prior marriage? Information is murky.

Posted: 7 Aug 2014 7:00AM GMT
Surnames: Burton, Burchett
It doesn't appear Margaret would have been from a prior marriage of Elizabeth Burchett as her death certificate lists that as her maiden name, meaning no prior marriage. But I, too, am stumped at her sudden appearance and that she's listed under Grant, who is younger than her by two years. Could just be a mistake in the census though.

Posted: 10 Aug 2014 1:00AM GMT
Hi....
Margaret Burton was identified on my grandfather's (Homer O. Hicks, Sr.) as his mother on his (Delayed) birth certificate and marriage license. It was noted on his (1942) birth certificate that Margaret was 22 years old when he was born in 1896......making her birth abt 1874. His birth certificate states that he was born in Wolf, KY. However, my grandfather (deceased in 1946) stated that he was orphaned. In the 1910 census he is, in fact, living in Huntington, WV with only his grandmother, Martha Jane (Buckner) Hicks. So who was Margaret Burton, his mother? The only Margaret Burton I could find in the area was the daughter of Caleb Burton and Susanna (Harper) Burton (1834-1868). This Margaret was born in 1864, however. This Margaret also married Jacob William Gilkerson in 1885. They moved from Carter Cty, KY sometime between 1900 and 1910 to Michigan, where she died in 1922. My great-grandfather, identified on my grandfather's birth certificate, was John Hicks. He is also an enigma, and although I know his mother (Martha Jane Buckner Hicks), and his aunt (Mary E. Jacobs) who provided an affidavit for the 1942 birth certificate, I cannot find a John Hicks. Some members of my family speculate that my grandfather was born out of wedlock. It is interesting to note that Margaret (Burton) Gilkerson, although married, had no children between 1894 and 1900 while she lived in Carter Cty, KY. As noted, my grandfather was born in 1896. Margaret's next child was born in 1901, and she named him Homer. My grandfather's name was Homer............ huuummmm?

Posted: 10 Aug 2014 7:14AM GMT
Here is something else to consider in regards to Margaret Burton: The information I have indicates she was born in 1864. Caleb served in the Civil War in the 22nd Kentucky. All muster rolls shows him present for duty and I've seen his pension file. Nothing indicates he was granted a furlough and I've seen documentation that his brigade commander refused all furloughs when the 22nd was in Kentucky.

Also, Caleb's first wife did not die until 1868, four years before Margaret was supposedly born. So a lot of this is not matching up.

The only thing I can think of is she is the daughter of Elizabeth Burchett, perhaps out of wedlock? I can not find birth records for that corresponding time either, nor a death record for her.

She's one a few I am having a hard time pinning down.

Posted: 11 Aug 2014 3:33AM GMT
Thanks for sharing that information........... By any chance, are you included in Ancestry's DNA database?

Thanks,
RO Hicks

Posted: 11 Aug 2014 4:10AM GMT
I am not part of the Ancestry DNA database. Hopefully one day.

And a follow-up....It does appear that Margaret Burton is indeed the daughter of Caleb Burton and Elizabeth Burton, as per her death certificate information I finally found on FamilySearch. I cannot pull up the original document. I added the screenshot as a attachment.

But she still really leaves me baffled as to how she suddenly appears and is born prior to the end of Caleb's first marriage and his subsequent marriage to her mother. Hopefully a copy of her obit will come up somewhere.

BTW...her name comes up a number of times in the Charlevoix County Herald on Chronicling America site as Mrs. Maggie Gilkerson. Please let me know if you find any more out on her.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic