Search for content in message boards

Alexander, Hall connection

Alexander, Hall connection

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 2:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hall, Alexander
The 1900 Carter County census lists Frank Alexander (no birth year given) married to Elizabeth b. Oct 1848. In the household was also Lucy Hall as mother in law b 1815. Does anyone have info as to who Elizabeths father was?

Re: Alexander, Hall connection

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 7:17PM GMT
Not a family member but took some time to see what I could locate.
The marriage of ELIZABETH HALL (no age given in the marriage record and her 2nd marriage) to FRANKLIN P. ALEXANDER Age 24 occurred on 10 June 1876 at Grayson, Carter Co. KY. The marriage record does not identify parents of either party.
I kept looking for a LUCY HALL. I believe the one that fits the approximate age of your ELIZABETH is locatd inj the 1860 Census of Carter Co KY with the following family:
#800 ISAAC HALL Age 40 B Va
LUCY 40
LISHA (male) 17
MARTIN 16
HIRAM 13(5)
POWELL 7
BUTLER 7
JAMES 6
ELIJAH 4
*** MARY 13 (1847)
REBECCA 11
If you go back to the 1850 census she is identified as ELIZABETH M. (MARY?)as follows and note the discrepancies in the other children as well.
423-423 ISAAC HALL 30
LUCY 31
ELIZABETH M. 9 (1841)
ELISHA P. 8
MARTIN McC 7
HIRAM 5
EMELY J. 3
REBECCA 1
In another listing the names of the children do come in close proximity to the ages. One in particular was ELIJAH T. HALL born 13 May 1857 and died 12 November 1939. A message on one of the boards indicated that his obituary names his mother as LUCY PORTER and his father as ISAAC HALL. Perhaps his obituary which the researcher indicated she had found would not ELIZABETH as a ALEXANDER.
I know the Boyd County Library has the Carter Co KY newspapers on microfilm and perhaps they could look it up for you

Re: Alexander, Hall connection

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 7:46PM GMT
Thanks so much for taking the time to look. Discrepencies seem to be a family trait lol. I descend from Isaac and Lucy, via Elijah, Virgil, Billy Joe. Many of our family members I have found at points in their lives went by middle names sometimes, first names others. Isaacs marriage bond was to Lucy Cole. We suspect that her mother was Susannah Porter married to a William Cole but perhaps it was Susannahs 2nd marriage or Lucy was born out of wedlock prior to the marriage to Cole. Lots of mystery surrounding the Halls. They were transient and finding records for them has been most difficult. I keep plugging away though.
I know that Isaac died in 1880, he was married at the time but I cannot find Lucy after that date. I suspect she went to live with one of her children, most likely a daughter. I believe she died between 1880 and 1911..tough time to find death records for Carter County. Elijahs obituary only mentions his wife and children, no mention of any of his siblings. He may well have been the last of his siblings alive.
If this was easy, probably would not be as interesting huh?
Thanks again for your time. Much appreciated!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions