Search for content in message boards

King/Clark

Posted: 31 Aug 2003 7:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Sep 2003 2:52PM GMT
Surnames: King/Clark
I am trying to locate my Clark and King families in Shelby Co., TX. I have been told that the King family were Church of Christ preachers. I do know that Thomas P King married my grand parents Andrew Jackson Clark to Lydia Francis King around 1902 or 1904. Could you please tell me about any King men that were preachers? Also have been told that the Clark family went to the Baptist Church. So any information on any of these families I sure would appreciate it. My Mother is 91 years young and she sure would like to know more about her family. She was born in Timpson in 1912. Please let me hear from you soon.
Colleen in OK.

Re: King/Clark

Catherine (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2003 3:54AM GMT
Colleen -
I found the following information on your family in the various Shelby Co., TX census records:

It appears Andrew Jackson Clark's parents were James & Elizabeth Clark. They lived in the Rainsville area of Shelby Co. in 1900. Here is the 1900 census record for them:

CLARK, James head b. Mar 1856 married 23 years b. LA, father born in GA, mother born in GA, Farmer
", Elizabeth, wife, b. Nov 1857, 11 children - 9 still living, b. LA, father b. AL, mother b. AL
", Louvenia, daughter, b. Feb 1879 in LA
", Andrew Jackson, son, b. Jul 1882 in LA
", James W., son, b. Apr 1884 in LA
", Martha, daughter, b. Jun 1888 in LA
", Margaret A., daughter, b. Mar 1892 in LA
", Katie, daughter, b. Jan 1894 in LA
", Emma L., daughter, b. Dec 1897 in TX
", George S., son, b. Aug 1895 in LA
", Robbert E., son, b. Apr. 1899 in TX

I also found the following but aren't sure if it's Lydia's family or not. If you know the year of birth for her it would help. This family lived in the Rainsville area. I'm guessing Fannie L. might be your Lydia Frances.

KING, Albert head b. Jul 1856, married 15 years, b. GA, father b. GA, mother b. GA, farmer
", Mary E., wife, b. Feb 1865, 8 children - 8 living, b. AR, father b. AL, mother b. AL
", James S., son, b. Dec 1879 in LA
", Martha A., daughter, b. Apr 1882 in AR
", Fannie L., daughter, b. May 1887 in AR
", Aner D., daughter, b. Oct 1889 AR
", Loular J., daughter, b. May 1891 AR
", Thomas J., son, b. Oct 1893 AR
", John A., son, b. Sep 1895 AR
", Floid F., son, b. Sep 1896 AR
", Young, son, b. Apr 1898 TX

I can't seem to find these families in 1910 in Shelby Co. census records. They could be living with someone else or the name was transcribed wrong. If you have any additional information I could try to look again. Let me know if I can help further.
Catherine

Catherine (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2003 4:07AM GMT
I also found the following marriage on the Shelby Co. website:

Fannie King married A.J. Clark on 25 Sep 1901
Vol 5, Pg 136

Catherine

Posted: 2 Sep 2003 9:28PM GMT
Edited: 11 Sep 2003 2:52PM GMT
Surnames: King/Clark
I sure want to thank you for the infromation that you sent. This is both of my great grandparents. I don't know when they went to Shelby Co., TX. I know that the Clarks were in Bienville Parish, LA and the Kings were in Clairborne Parish, LA. I also know from Mother that the Kings were Church of Christ Preachers and the Clarks went to the Bapisit Church. Do you think that you might help me out on any of this? Sure hope so, Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon.
Colleen

Catherine (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2003 1:26AM GMT
If they were ministers, it wasn't their primary profession according to the census records. At least I wasn't able to find anything. It appears they were all primarily farmers. Sorry I wasn't able to help. You might check with the Shelby Co. historical society - they might know where to search.

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 9:37PM GMT
Edited: 17 Sep 2004 11:15PM GMT
I have James F Clark b1856 m Elizabeth S Bird b1857 children Louvenia b 1879 Andrew Jackson b1872 James W b1884 Martha b1888 Margaret A b1892 Katie b1894 Emma b1897 George S b1895 Robert E b1899 Elizabeth S Bird and LoDoskie Lee Bird are sisters their father John W. Bird killed in cival war LoDoskie is my grandmother m Charles Edward Stillwell they are in Woods Cem. Panola co TX. i have been looking for the Clarke,s a long time with no luck Edd Stillwell Panola co. Tx.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions