Search for content in message boards

Adding source citation to multiple people

Adding source citation to multiple people

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 3:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've created a source citation (an obituary) and would like to attach it as a source citation to events for multiple people, however I can't figure out how to do that without recreating the entire citation. It is currently attached to a single person (and cites multiple events for that one person), but I can't figure out how to add it as a supporting citation to another person.

Help?

Re: Adding source citation to multiple people

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 4:55PM GMT
I'ld like that also, but so far as I can see, can't do it.

I just recreate the source in the other people and copy and paste the citation, text, comments etc by having each person open in a different tab.

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 5:37PM GMT
You may want to check out the Source & Citation Tips board which has several threads that touch on this. There are suggestions for how people have chosen to handle this but to my knowledge there isn't any easy way to do this.

If you want to make sure that the citation is applied to ancestry than you will need to edit the citation using the methods explained on the threads.

If this is just for you and you don't care about providing ancestry any feedback through their citation set up, then you can try putting the source in a story. The story can be added to multiple people and multiple events in a timeline without having to be retyped.

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 7:55PM GMT
scwbcm wrote "If you want to make sure that the citation is applied to ancestry than you will need to edit the citation using the methods explained on the threads.

"If this is just for you and you don't care about providing ancestry any feedback through their citation set up, then you can try putting the source in a story."

A manually entered source citation for an outside source can be entered in a MemberTree individual profile page.

This does not add anything to the Ancestry.com databases. Users cannot add anything "to Ancestry" except to trees and alternates in index/extract entries.

Citations to non-Ancestry.com databases, once added to trees, go no further unless someone copies that individual to another tree. They may be ~counted~ as sources tallied in tree-search results, but they are not indexed in any other way.

For example, the many thousands of trees that give some gedcom file as a cited source do not result in any searchable index of source-gedcoms.

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 8:19PM GMT
I am curious. I realized that editing the citation page didn't change the database but I had thought that it might change either the search, hints or the indexing pages (record page as opposed to the scanned image) . When we edit on that page is it strictly for our benefit? It sounds like you are saying ancestry receives no benefit from the editing? It is nice to list the citation but there are several ways to do that without using their citation pages. Do you see any benefit to editing their citation pages other than to working something into a timeline?

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 8:31PM GMT
I should have clarified. There are two types of items for the citation pages-an outside source that you are trying to make a citation for and an ancestry provided source which needs editing. My questions bounced around the two. For the ancestry provided item, what benefits if any is there in editing their citation pages?

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 8:40PM GMT
I edit them to apply them to additional or different facts that Ancestry assigns to them. Transportation sources are particularly bad about being assigned to the wrong type of fact or event.

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 9:37PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2011 9:57PM GMT
That is primarily why I edit them also, but I have often wondered if there was any other benefit in them for a user or for ancestry.

If the obit is not an ancestry provided obit, here is another possible option. You may be able to scan the obit and then add the information into the information portion for the photo. This can also be applied to numerous people and different places in your timeline. Good luck.

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 11:44PM GMT
I have a number of manually added sources, which I use in order to preserve an internet link if it's something available on the internet. I then can use the same source for other profiles on the same tree (but I have discovered that I have to do it again even if I want to use the same source on another tree).

For example, I have some ancestors who had birth/death information in the Illinois State Archives for McLean County. I created a "custom source" by clicking on an event (e.g., "birth" for my grandmother, who was born there). At the bottom where it says "add new source citation" I clicked, and in the first box (to the right) I clicked the link for "create a new source." I gave it a name (Illinois State Archives), and a repository (which you can make up if needed, just click the link to the right "create new repository" - I called the repository "Illinois State Archives" also). Don't put an internet address into this step, e.g., for the repository, because it can confuse things when you then add a web address for the specific page you are citing.

When you have done that step, click "save source" (orange box at the bottom) and it will go back to the page where you clicked to create a new source. Now, the source you just created will be in the drop-down box, so click on it.

Below that, it will ask "details" (i.e., does this show dates, names, locations, whatever - just make it up).

I skip most of the rest, except for the web address of whatever it is. I use this most often for some marriage data bases, for CaGenWeb cites, and for Find A Grave. Once I select the source (previously created) and add the "detail," I also put in the internet address of the particular pages I am citing.

The last step is particularly helpful - it will give you a dropdown checklist for everything in the time line on the profile page, and you can click any/all that your new citation supports (e.g., the Find A Grave cite often goes to both birth and death dates, location, sometimes a woman's maiden name, and sometimes a spouse/parent/child name).

Once you have done all that, you can then, from the profile, click on an event for which you entered that cite, click on the citation, and see the web link, which will take you directly to the page you cited.

I also use this for materials that are not on the internet (books, etc.), adding as much of the repository, publisher, etc. information as I have (and I include the page number there, so I can find it again).

Hope this makes it less confusing - it sounds a bit complicated, but once you have done it a couple of times, it's pretty easy and it makes it very simple to get back to anything you found on the internet (including other genealogical sites, etc.) What I don't know, because I have not really tried it, is whether the web address link comes over intact if you download your tree to FTM - if someone else knows, I would love to hear your experience.

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 11:56PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2011 1:30AM GMT
scwbcm wrote "For the ancestry provided item, what benefits if any is there in editing their citation pages?"

One benefit is to have a more complete citation. For example, for some census enumerations the National Archives micropublication, roll number, enumeration district and page numbers are not included by Ancestry.com. Another case is where you find a newspaper item; you can attach an Ancestry citation to the publication and date, but the citation will not include article title, page number and column.

And in some instances the Ancestry.com source citation is at least partially wrong. There may be an incorrect title of a publication (Ancestry has totally changed some publication names, and the citation is to what they call the database), wrong location for a Census enumeration (including nonexistent locations: Eagle District, Harrison Co. WV is extracted and indexed for 1890 as "Cogle"), wrong County for a WWI Draft Registration card (all for Cabell Co., WV are extracted and indexed as Wayne Co.), etc.

For wrong book titles you cannot correct that part of the source-citation in the tree, but you can add it in "detail" and correct it if you download your tree as gedcom to desktop program. It is always worthwhile to check what the actual citation says and amend it where needed.

While the citations to Ancestry.com databases do not uniformly download well to home genealogy programs, at least you have a 'head start' on them.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic