Search for content in message boards

Mendocino State Hospital for the Insane

Mendocino State Hospital for the Insane

Posted: 9 Apr 2003 10:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Apr 2003 7:25PM GMT
Surnames: Maas
Where would the hospital have buried patients who died there if they had no family? Would there have been an obituary ?
Looking for information on Louis Maas who died in Mendocino, Ca. on Aug. 14, 1940. Also a Louis Maas who would have died late in 1910 or in 1911.
Any help is very welcome. These are very old and stubborn brick walls. ( 95 to110 years and no solution so far.)
Thanks in advance for your interest.

Re: Mendocino State Hospital for the Insane

georgia page (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2003 1:37AM GMT
sorry I don't have answers, just a question. I have never heard of a State Hospitol in the town of Mendocino, CA. But there was a State Hospitol for the insane in Talmadge, CA in Mendocino County. Talmadge is adjacent to Ukiah and was open until the 70's or 80's. As far as I know there is no cemetary out there, only in Ukiah.
georgia

Posted: 14 Apr 2003 3:27AM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2003 7:25PM GMT
Hi, Georgia, Thanks very much for the information. The information I found in the 1930 census had it listed as the Mendocino State Hospital for the Insane.
Maybe we're talking about the same place and they just changed the name at some point. I'll look into the possibility as soon as I can. Thank you again. C. Branhagen

Willard (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2003 4:05PM GMT
I was raised in Ukiah and both my parents worked at Mendocino State Hospital until it closed. I do believe there was a grave site on the grounds or close by. I wished either of my folks were still alive they could confirm this. I know in the hospitals hayday they ran a full farm as well.

Willard (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2003 4:15PM GMT
I found this after posting my first email.

Updated Facts 4/1/02

Agnews Developmental Center:

According to the information from DDS there are 607 documented burials here from 1889-1906. We counted 386 markers. This means that there are 221 missing Gravesites. This is quite troubling as this cemetery is in the middle of a construction site for Micro Sun.

Camarillo State Hospital:

Camarillo is now closed. It is now a California State University Campus. We have been unable to determine whether or not there was a cemetery on the grounds, as we have gotten conflicting stories from former Camarillo employees.

Mendocino State Hospital:

Mendocino Closed in the early 1970’s. At that time, approximately 282 people’s bodies were exhumed and moved to the Ukiah Cemetery. 1,660 people’s cremated remains and the cremated remains of 7 people’s limbs (arm or leg) were also moved to this cemetery and placed in a community grave.

http://www.cnmhc.org/main/current%20news/updated_fact_-4_01_...

Posted: 10 Aug 2003 10:13PM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2004 12:24AM GMT
Hi Willard,
It's pretty bad when you can't even hit the right buttons, but that's something that happens fairly often lately.
Again, I thank you for your help. Now all I need to do is find out if there is a list of the names of the people whose remains were moved.
Hopefully, there will be. Maybe the newspaper carried a story about the happenings.

Phil Carnahan (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2003 2:14AM GMT
There are a few burials on the grounds that used to be the Mendocino State Hospital (MSH). There is a map with names and locations of them at the Mendocino County Historical Society, Held-Poage Research Library in Ukiah, CA. There used to be small numbered cement markers on them, but they have long since disappeared.

As for those who were moved to the Ukiah cemetery, a full list of their names is posted on my web site.
http://www.pacificsites.com/~pcarna/
Scroll down to the section on cemeteries and click on the letter of the surname for which you're searching.

Now some news...all those who were moved to Ukiah cemetery died between 1930 & 1953. I have compiled a list of 812 people who died at the MSH between 1905 & 1918, of which 434 state they were buried there. As far as I know nodoby has ever found these burials and nobody can vouch for where they were actually interred. The state hospital records are not accessable because they contain private medical information, the folks at the Ukiah cemetery only have the records of those who were moved later, the county says they only know what is listed on the death certificate.

There was a bill passed to start a project to find where all those who died in the various state hospitals were buried. I have no idea how it is progressing. Nobody has made contact with me or the Mendocino County Historical Society about this project and their web site has no information on it that is of much help. (At least I can't find it if it's there.) See the following URL for more on the project.
http://www.cnmhc.org/main/current%20news/ca_memprojdescripti...

Posted: 31 Aug 2003 7:02PM GMT
Hi Connie,

Would you let me know if you find a list of the list of the names of the people whose remains were moved from the Mendocino State Hospital for the Insane. My grandmother spent most of her life there and died there in 1970. Shame being what it is I didn't know about her until 1982 and still know almost nothing.

Thanks,
Anna

Lewis (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2003 2:11AM GMT
Is it possible to get information about a former patient at Mendocino State Hospital and if so where would one go? The hospital is no longer in operation. My mother-in-law was there from 1945 to 1970. I just recently found out this information. My husband was told his mother died when he was very young.

Geoff Malling (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2003 9:45PM GMT
The CaliforniaState Archives has all the relevant records. I would contact them regarding the restricted ones.

http://findaid.oac.cdlib.org/cgi/f/findaid/findaid-idx?type=...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions