Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth Jane Keith, b abt 1841

Elizabeth Jane Keith, b abt 1841

Posted: 7 May 2001 5:55PM GMT
Edited: 26 Mar 2004 4:33AM GMT
I am the great-great granddaughter of Elizabeth Jane Keith, born about 1841, buried Fairview Cemetery in Thrifty, Brown County, Texas; married Lewis Turner Field, born about 1837, a Methodist preacher. They had the following children: Katherine (Kate) (married name was Wilson), Mary Ann (married Samuel Harrision Martin), Jim (married Flora Holloman), William Henry (born September 14 1863, Alexander, Erath Co. Married Florence Gaines), Ell (Married Jane Lancaster), Elizabeth Jane (born December 1, 1870, Alexander, Erath Co., married Jud Smith), Turner (died young), Nellie (died as infant), Ada (died as infant).

Is my Elizabeth Jane Keith the daughter of John Jackson Keith, born May 4, 1823 Alabama, died April 14 1907, buried Sabanno Cemetery, Eastland, Texas, and Isabelle W. Ely, born June 21, 1824 in Richmond, Virginia, died May 12, 1904 in probably Eastland Co., Texas?

I have found a few items that infer this relationship, but I cannot substantiate it. I live in Hawaii and do not have access to sources other than the internet. This makes actual research completely impossible.

Does anyone know of my Elizabeth? Can you please steer me in the right direction to find her parents? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

My email is saundrabusto@hotmail.com.

Aloha,
Saundra

John Jackson KEITH and daughter, Elizabeth

Posted: 8 May 2001 11:57AM GMT
Edited: 18 Dec 2005 8:03PM GMT
Susan,
John Jackson KEITH's daughter, Elizabeth Jane, was b. 16 Nov 1864 and m. 1st 1863 to William N. ARTHUR, 2nd in 1879 to Steve PRESLEY.

Re: Elizabeth Jane Keith, b abt 1841

april moore (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2004 5:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Field, Low, Patrick
Hello-I am the gggrandaughter of David Crockett Field, b: 1842 at Claiborne Parish, La. He is the brother to your Lewis Turner Field. Another Keith researcher said that John J. Keith and Isabella were the parents to your Eliabeth. I would have to check my files to get the email address. Always nice to meet another Field researcher. Would appreciate any information about this family. Lewis and David lived by each other in Erath County around the 1870's. Lewis went on to Brown Co, and my David went down to Concho Co, etc. If you are interested in the Field family, let me know and I'll be glad to share information.
April

Saundra Busto (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2004 9:28PM GMT
April, it’s good to hear from another Field researcher. I love meeting new cousins.

As to my Elizabeth Jane, I’ve recently had information that she is the daughter of Nicholas Keith and Elizabeth Thornton. The documentation seems to be pretty solid for this. I also got information from a very good Keith researcher that Elizabeth daughter of John J and Isabella married first William N. Arthur and second Steve Presley, not Lewis Turner Field. Does your Keith researcher have documentation that shows the daughter of John J and Isabella is really my Elizabeth? I’d sure like to check this out further.

I’ve got some other information about Elizabeth that came from a Field cousin whose mother has the original notes taken during an interview with Alva Field, daughter of Ell Field and Elizabeth Jane's granddaughter. Alva knew and remembered her grandparents well. The note taker was not indicated, but the family believes it was most likely Modena's sister Vada Riggs - based on the handwriting and the fact that Vada was generally the family historian of that generation. Here’s what it says about Elizabeth:

“Grand Mother [sic] Field was a Keith before marriage. Her full name was Elizabeth Jane. Her father was a doctor and a protestant preacher. Grandfather Field was a Methodist preacher and he served several churches in Brown County [TX]. Nine children were born to these parents. Grandfather Field’s father was named David and [his mother] was [named] Winnie and she was a Love before marriage. These were James Harrison's and my [Alva] great grand parents [sic]. Grand Mother [sic] Field’s mother died when she was very small. She was raised by a Negro woman. She said she loved that old Negro like she was her mother. She died in Brown County on the old Henry Fry place just across the road from Uncle Henry Field's old place, this side of the bridge near Thrifty. She and Grandfather are both buried in Fairview Cemetery. Dad [Ell Field] was born in Hunt County [and] moved to Erath when a small baby. He was raised there and married and came to Brown County in 1894.”

I descend from Lewis Turner Field like this:

1. Lewis Turner Field married Elizabeth Jane Keith
2. Mary Anna Field married Samuel Harrison Martin
3. Mary Samuel Martin married Zack Thomas
4. Zack Thomas, Jr. married Lora B. Welmaker
5. Saundra Kay Thomas Busto [that would be me]

I don’t have much on the Field family . . . just what I’ve found in census records or the forums with a little dab thrown in by other cousins. I’m just recovering from a computer crash so I don’t have all my data available, but I know it isn’t much. I’d love to have whatever you’re willing to share. And I will happily share with you whatever I have or come across in the future.

Thanks for writing, cousin.

Aloha,
Saundra

april moore (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2004 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: Field, Lowe, Patrick, Hammond
Hello again cousin!! Lots of information at one time, but wanted to answer quickly. Right now we are living in two residences and my files are at the house I go to on weekends, so I'll have some time tomorrow to check my files and get back to you on Monday. I know for sure that Lewis Turner Fields father was David L. Field (we believe the L. stands for Lewis) and his mother was Winnie Lowe. My gggrandfather David Crockett Field (Lewis's brother) had an Indian Pension with this information, plus another descendant has the D.C. Field bible with that information in it. I can see the Love and Lowe being very close for a handwritten paper.
Interesting about Elizabeth Janes mother being a Thornton, because another brother of Lewis Turner Field was Green Cotton Field (apparently they had a sense of humor, but there are alot of other Green Fields out there) and he was married to an Elizabeth Thornton. Green Cotton and Elizabeth are buried together at Coke Co, Texas outside of a town called Robert Lee.(been there and have the pictures) He also was the first Methodist preacher at Robert Lee. I have a Confederate pension by Elizabeth who states she was from Claiborne Parish like our Fields. I believe her parents were Isiah Thorton and Tabitha. Elizabeth Thornton wrote that she was born 7 June 1842 at Claiborne Parish and their first son was named David Isiah Field.
I have the death certificate for Lewis Turner Field and it states that his father was David Turner Field, but all the land deeds, taxes and mason records say D.L.Field. I contacted the Masons in Erath county and they found handwritten notes stating that our David L. Field died on 1 March 1863.
Who is Ell Field? Could you clear that up for me? I have met a couple of people from the Lewis Turner Field line. One we met early on in our research and she has passed away and another was through the Elizabeth Jane Field who married Nathaniel Judd Smith. My line is through David Crockett Field and his son was Thomas Greene Field (my great grandfather) and his daughter Martha Susan Field (my grandmother) and my dad Preston Marvin Hammond. My grandmother was very proud of her Field family and I enjoy finding out information about this family in particular.
I live in the Panhandle of Texas outside of Amarillo at a place called "Cal Farleys Boys Ranch". This is a home for At-Risk children (boys and girls) and my husband and I have been teachers out here for 22 years plus we are retiring in May. It is 11 degrees out right now with snow on the ground and I am jealous that you are in Hawaii!!! Keep in touch and will be glad to share pictures, etc. over our families. I will email back as to what my folder has concerning the Keiths. I do know there a many of them in Erath, Eastland, etc. Some Keiths were living by my Fields in the 1860 Census at Erath County. Will be glad to copy this information for you.
Later cousin!!!

april moore (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2004 3:36PM GMT
Surnames: Field, Lowe, Thornton, Keith
I looked in my files and could not find who sent me that information. Sorry! A Robert Miller sent me information about my Elizabeth Thornton who married Green Cotton Fields. He states that Elizabeths parents were Isaac Thornton and Tabitha Silas who had the following children: L. R. Thornton b: 1828; David Thornton b: 1830(next to David Field in the 1860 Earth County Census); Silas b: 1832; Philip b: 1835; Martha b: 1837; Wiley b: 1841; Elizabeth b: 1842; Eliza Jane b: 1845; Napoleon b: 1848.
Sorry that is all I have on the Keiths and Thorntons.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions