Search for content in message boards

Cholera, Brail

Cholera, Brail

Posted: 11 Aug 2008 6:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Aug 2008 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Brail, Lemen, Blake, Dorr, Driesbach, Stutson, Stone
Looking for information on the short lived Cholera epidemic in the Sandy Hill region of Dansville (Steuben County), New York in 1834. Also any information on a John Brail who was involved in bringing German settlers to the region. Others involved in caring for the sick, Samuel Lemen, Zara Blake, Samuel Dorr, Michael Driesbach, Thomas Stutson, and Rufus Stone. Especailly interested in photos of any of these men or their wives.

Re: Cholera, Brail

Posted: 14 Aug 2008 1:32AM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2008 3:22PM GMT
Surnames: Karcher, brail
my ggg grandfather was John Brail know was born in 1771 in PA but went to NY in the early 1800's He his wife catherine Karcher and many of his children are buried in green lawn cemetery in steuben county. His wife and 2 children died in the choler epidemic of 1834. John Brail's father was Ludwig Brail from Germany and that is all i know....might have more info later

Posted: 19 Aug 2008 4:57PM GMT
Surnames: Brail
Hi, Thanks for your reply..much appreciated. I wonder if I could prevail on you for the names of those who died in the Cholera epidemic? Most of the gravestones in the cemetery were made from a slate and set on end, resulting in the faces of the stones cracking off with the passage of time. Thanks! Les

Posted: 5 Sep 2008 11:01PM GMT
Hello,

the dead from the cholera epidemic at Sandy Hill in 1834 were:

George Brail, son of John und Margaret, + 1. September 1834, 28 years old
Margaret Brail, wife of John Brail, + 28. August 1834, 56 years old
N. Brail, daughter of John und Margaret,
two emigrants, most probably Mr. Rider and Mr. Kersh
an emigrant called Mr. Bolinger
a daughter of Mr. Rider
Simeon Becker, son ofn Samuel and Rebecker Decker, + 04.09.1834
Rebecca Decker, wife of Samuel, + 9. September 1834, 56
Joseph Acomb, + 11.09.1834, 67
Darius Decker, + 21.09.1834

You mentioned that Brail's wife was Catharina not Margaret. Do you know where she came from?

Yours

Roland Geiger, St. Wendel, Germany

Posted: 6 Sep 2008 3:12AM GMT
John Brail Jr. was married to catherine Karcher, she was born in Steuben county. the other John Brail is his Dad and he was married to Margaret.

Posted: 6 Sep 2008 2:13PM GMT
Surnames: Brail, Acomb, Rider, Decker
Hi Roland, MANY thanks for that reply, much appreciated!! I did notice some numbers I don't understand and perhaps you could help me with that. In the information you sent there are some numbers, for example +28 after John Brail. Can you tell me what these number mean?

Also is it Simon Becker or Simon Decker?

Thanks Les reply to: lesjaneb@aol.com

the dead from the cholera epidemic at Sandy Hill in 1834 were:

George Brail, son of John und Margaret, + 1. September 1834, 28 years old
Margaret Brail, wife of John Brail, + 28. August 1834, 56 years old
N. Brail, daughter of John und Margaret,
two emigrants, most probably Mr. Rider and Mr. Kersh
an emigrant called Mr. Bolinger
a daughter of Mr. Rider
Simeon Becker, son ofn Samuel and Rebecker Decker, + 04.09.1834
Rebecca Decker, wife of Samuel, + 9. September 1834, 56
Joseph Acomb, + 11.09.1834, 67
Darius Decker, + 21.09.1834

You mentioned that Brail's wife was Catharina not Margaret. Do you know where she came from?

Posted: 7 Sep 2008 5:00PM GMT
Roland - I am very interested in your response to the Brails in the cholera epidemic. John Brail, Sr. is my 3rd great grandfather and I have done a lot of research on this line. What is your connection? Also, the Catherine who married John Brail, Jr., was Catherine Karcher, the daughter of William & Magdalena Welch Karcher. Catherine was born in Steuben County - 4 October 1816. John Brail, Sr.'s wife was Magaret Mowery but there is no further information on her.

Posted: 15 Oct 2009 5:33AM GMT
Edited: 16 Oct 2009 4:30PM GMT
Surnames: Karcher, Brail, Welch
Hi, I saw your various posts. John Brail Jr. married Catherine Karcher. She was born in Wayland, most llkely, in 1816. Wayland was formed from S. Dansville and Cohocton, I believe. Catherine was the 4th daughter of the 12 children of WIlliam Karcher and Magdalena Welch. The Karchers settled shortly before 1810. William and Magdalena had their first child, Elizabeth, in 1809. William's siblings and parents also came up their. His older brother George lived in Cohocton but died early 1820's. William was born 1782, in Berks County, PA and died in Wayland in 1852. Magdalena was one of the 7 children of Jacob Welch, who settled in 1798 in Dansville, children were Catherine, 1784, Magdalena 1786, Jacob, Conrad, Henry, Mary, and Elizabeth? Jacob Welch died in Dansville in 1831 or so, wife Catherine Martz born around 1762 in PA and died in early 1850's, very old. Her brother Conrad and father Jacob also came up in 1798. They came from Sunbury, Northumberland Co. PA, although oldest Welch dau. Catherine, 1784, baptized in Berks Co. PA George Karcher, brother of Wm, born 1770's in Berks Co. PA, married Catherine, 10 or more children, Solomon, 1798 or so, Martin, 1800, George, Sophia, 1806 or so married John Hamsher, Christianne, born 1805 or so, wife of WM Hottenstein, I believe, Catherine, Sally, and a few more. Sarah, sister of Wm Karcher, born 1792, married Peter Kuhn of Sparta, Livingston Co, and settled in Livinston Co, Michigan where she died in 1870''s. Parents of William, George, Sarah, and a few more sisters, were Martin Karcher, born 1751 in Berks Co. and died probably Sparta after 1820, and wife, Anna Elizabeth Bader, born 1755 in Berks. Co. and died after 1820, probably in Sparta. 1810 census lists William, George and Martin as Karker, one of many misspellings. Children of WIlliam and Magdelana were Elizabeth, 1809, married James Hallett, settled in Indiana, Mary, 1812, wife of Humphrey Teasdale, she died in Dansville in 1895? and is buried with her husband, some children and parents Wm and Magdalena in Dansville, Greenmount Cemetery. Lydia, 1814, married Artemus Mann, later went to Michigan, Catherine, 1816, wife of John Brail Jr. buried in Greenlawn Cemetery in South Dansville. Susan, 1818, wife of Henry Opp, died 1902? in Dansville, William B. 1820-1880's. married Lydia Shutt, Samuel M, 1822-1906, died in Pavilion, Genessee County, where he, mother Magdalena and younger sister Sophia settled after 1855, Rebecca, 1824, married Jarvis Robinson and settled in Missouri, Eliza Ann, married Frederick Ashbaugh, settled south of Rochester, died very old, and Sophia, born 1833/34 and died in Pavilion NY, never married. 2 other children died young. Magdelana died in 1869, probably in Pavilion. If any of this doesn't make sense, feel free to drop me a line. Also, there is some confusion surrounding the Martz family, but Conrad Welch gave a family history in 1852 which mentioned his grandfather Jacob Martz's farm near Sunbury Northumberland PA. and the 1800 census of Dansville would indicate this Jacob Martz had many grown children. He might have gone back to Sunbury. Finally, Martin Karcher 1751-1820's was the son of Martin Karcher Senior, born 1718 Dobel, near Stuttgart Germany, came to US with many sisters, brother Gottfried who went to Tennessee as Gottfried Carriger. Parents were Michael Karcher (Kaercher) 1692, died near Longswamp TWP. in Berks County PA.

Posted: 24 Oct 2009 2:24PM GMT
Surnames: Choloera, Brail
wow nice to hear from you, please email at my regular email it is grandmameister@msn.com I am a decendent of John Brail Jr. Elizabeth Brail is my g grandmother..Pat Cole Popielski

Posted: 24 Oct 2009 2:44PM GMT
Wow, somehow I missed this when it came in. I am very interested in John Brail who lived in the town of Dansville, STEUBEN County. His home is just a few hundred yards from his burial site. Apparently John assisted other German settlers arriving in the area and thereby, inadvertantly, his family suffered from Cholera with several deaths in the family. I would be VERY interested in obtaining a copy/copies of any photos of John Brail's family...though many of them died prior to the arrival of the camera. John Brail's death date would indicate that he lived well into the era of the photograph. I would be more than happy to pay for copies and all copying costs for anyone willing to share information. Les Buell lesjaneb@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions