Search for content in message boards

Steamship "James Laughlin"

Steamship "James Laughlin"

Posted: 20 Jul 2005 11:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Caverly
I'm trying to find information, picture, etc.of the Steamer James Laughlin, which was part of the Interstate Steamship fleet. I have my grandfathers Lake Carriers Association card from 1909. It's stamped Aug 2, 1909 .shipping office Duluth, and it was lying at the Allony ? Ore Dock. Shipping Master J H Currin.
His seaman's card is dated Sept 4, 1909, issued at Ashtabula, Ohio office., shipping master Eli Collister.

I understand that the ship and company are long gone., but hoping someone has information.

Marie

Re: Steamship "James Laughlin"

Russ (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2005 11:16PM GMT
The James Laughlin was built in 1906. She operated for various U.S. Companies until 1965-1966. At that time she was sold Canadian and was operated until 1979-1980. She was sold for scrap and towed to Columbia. The Captain of the James Laughlin in 1909 was T. G. Simmons. If you go to a site hosted by Bowling Green University, http://digin.bgsu.edu/lakes.htm, and enter "James Laughlin" as a search term, you will get some basic information, a brief history, and a picture of the Laughlin.

Lake Carriers Association was a trade group operated by the shipping companies. When a boat came in and needed a new crew man, they would call the Lake Carriers shipping halls for a replacement. The card was sort of an ID card that permitted access to the docks and also served as an insurance policy in case the individual was hurt or killed while working on the boats.

The term Allo?? most likely refers to Allouez. Allouez is one of the major ore loading docks in Superior, Wisconsin.

Posted: 24 Jul 2005 5:12PM GMT
Russ,
Thank you so much for the information. It was very helpful.
Marie

Posted: 23 Dec 2007 11:57PM GMT
I decked on The Laughlin in the late 1940's and have several pictures of her, if you haven't found what you want drop me an e mail.

Verne Robinson
vernrobinson@wowway.com

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 5:47PM GMT
1906. "Great Lakes Engineering Works, Ecorse, Michigan. Steamer James Laughlin at left.

http://www.junipergallery.com/galleryview.php?targetnode=487...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic