Search for content in message boards

Guinn families and cemeteries of Avery CO

Guinn families and cemeteries of Avery CO

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 5:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Guinn, Roberts
I am looking for any information on the Henry D Gwyn or DH Guinn(guinn) family. He is listed in the Mitchell Co Census Cranberry Township in 1910. Born in 1874 according to the census. I have no definite birth or death dates. Some rumors even say he was adopted into a family and was originally a Holly.
wife Merry Roberts or Swift was a Cherokee Indian b.Sept 18, 1877 and died 7/19/1920 according to Death Records.
Children
Orra
Zora
Stella
Andy
Alice M
Edgar
Etta
(I have children's death dates and birth dates if that would help.)
I have visited alot iof the cemeteries here and can not find a lot of Gwynn's except for the cemetery next to the Mt Pleasant Church on Elk River. If any one knows of a Guinn cemetary located in the Heaton or Elk Park area please let me know according to death records he buried almost all his family in Elk Park. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. tnfarmer5@aol.com

Re: Guinn families and cemeteries of Avery CO

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 11:32PM GMT
Classification: Death
In Martha Pyatte's Avery County Cemetery Book there is a David Henry Gwynn listed in the Oaks Cemetery at Elk Park. The location given for the cemetery in the book is; 1/2 mile northeast of Elk Park.

The inscription is;
David Henry Gwyn; died 19 Jan 1942, age 74 yrs.

The age and name of this person fits a male listed in the household of Pheobe Gwyn, Mitchell County, 1880.

I am trying to determine the father of the children in this household.

Can you help?

Dawn Peters

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 11:51PM GMT
Do you have any better directions to the cemetery? I am not sure I will look ans see what I can find and let you know. Are there any other Guinn's buried in this cemetery?

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 2:17AM GMT
Sorry, that is all the directions the book gives.

There are a couple of Cemeteries near the center of Elk Park. One on the left as you come into town from the Tennessee end of town. It is behind a church on a hil. There is also one on the right on a hill as you go through town towards Cranberry. This one can be seen from the road.

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 1:02PM GMT
Thanks for replying. I have been to both of those and also the Mt. Plesant one, the Cook, and the Winters, and the High Rock Community, and also the one the community is currently using but have been unable to find the Guinns that I am looking for. Any other suggestions?

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 2:03PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
There are several other family names in the Oaks Cemetery. Perhaps if I copied the entire cemetery you posted it someone from these other families would know the location of the cemetery. I will try and scan it for you.

Oaks Cemetery.

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: Winters, Marlow, Lee, Saler, Hicks, Gwyn, Oaks, Gallion, Bare
Here is the transcription of the Oaks Cemetery at Elk Park.
Can anyone give more detailed directions to this cemetery?

OAKS CEMETERY, 1/2 mile northeast of Elk Park

Winters, Milton John, l4 Sept 1855; 6 Sept 1883; son of Steve Winters and Lottie Oaks
Gillon, Millard, 20 Feb 1858; 8 Oct 1899
Marlow, Ed, 6 Feb 1956; (d) age 56 yrs 3 mos 12 days
Lee, Sam T., 14 Mar I878; 18 July 1917
Saler, Jesse E., Sgt 1 Gas Regt; 28 Nov 1931
H Bare, Jesse E., d 26 Jan 1923; age 39 yrs
W Bare, Ethel T. Turbyfill, d 19 Aug ______; age 45 yrs
H Oaks, Milton, 1891; 1958
W Oaks, Nannie Whittington, 11 Mar 1891; 30 July 1911
Greer, Charlie, 1 June 1906; 26 Sept 1906; son of Roby and Hattie
Hicks, Mary Gwyn, 26 Mar I871; 14 Feb 1915; wife of Jack Hicks;
dau of Henry Gwyn and Deliah Oaks Gwyn
Gwyn, David Henry; d 19 Jan 1942; age 74. yrs
Oaks, James; b and d 6 Nov 1945
H Oaks, Neheniah P., b 28 Dec 1828 Hump Back Mtn in McDowell County.
veteran of Mexican War and Sgt Co C 13th Tenn Cav in
Civil War
W Oaks, Luraney Gwyn, 1835; 1921
Oaks, Geo S., 13 May 1865 (b); married to Bettie Kite 23 Nov 1885; d 9 Oct 1894
Oaks, (1) Hester; (2) Pearlie); (3) Joseph; all children of N. A. and Margaret Oaks

The above George S. Oaks was the son of Nehemiah Oaks and LuRaniey Gwyn. His widow married James Hagey. Nettie Kite was the daughter of Hamilton Kite and Ann Ingraham

Re: Oaks Cemetery.

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 4:38PM GMT
I have ask some people and I am waiting for a reply will get back with you as soon as possible.

Posted: 17 Mar 2007 8:01PM GMT
Surnames: Buchanan, Houston, Oakes, Lee, Burleson, Wiseman, Gwyn, Cole. Cooper
I am decended from Nehamiah Patterson Oakes and Lurrany Susanna Gwyn. Lookin for info on Lurrany's siblings and parents and any decendents for my records. I have George Gwyn born 1810 as her father (a full blooded Cherokee Indian who survived the Trail of Tears). He married a woman named Mary,maiden name unknown.
I have George and Mary's children as follows:
Eliza b.1827 m.Willis Hicks
Issac b. 1829 m. Rebecca Estep
Annie b. 1830 m. ? Holtsclaw
Louise Nancy b.1833 m. Samuel Hicks
Lurrany Susanna b.07 Dec 1835 m. Nehamiah Patterson Oakes

Pheriba A. b. 1844
James "Jim" b.1848 m. #1 Mattie Byrd #2 Nancy Clark
William H. b.1848 m. Sarah ?
Henry D. b.1851 m. Martha ?
Samuel b.1853
Between 1835 and 1844 George may have remarried since there is a nine yeare between the births of Lurrany and Pheriba.

Posted: 21 Apr 2007 6:15PM GMT
This is also my line. My line begins with Samuel. He married Rebecca Deliah Oaks before he died and had Mary Guinn and David Henry Guinn. Mary and David Henry Guinn are found in the Charles Curtis Turbyfill and Rebecca Oaks Guinn Turbyfill household in the 1880 Census. I would appreciate any information that you have on this line. Do you have any idea where the Oaks Cemetery in Elk Park is located all the information I have is 1/2 mile Northeast of Elk Park? The Henry David Guinn that you mentioned, his death certificate is at the Avery Co courthouse and list David Holley as his father and Polly Guinn as his mother do you have any idea where this came from?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic