Search for content in message boards

Norridgewock Birth Records

Norridgewock Birth Records

Posted: 14 Aug 2012 2:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Folsom
Does anyone have an idea of when the birth records for Norridgewock or Somerset County begin? My ancestor Charles T Folsom was born in 1808 and I'm not sure if it's worth it to ask someone to look for his birth record or if 1808 is too early for such a thing to exist.

Thanks!

Re: Norridgewock Birth Records

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 9:24PM GMT
Classification: Birth
My ggg-grandmother was born in Norridgewock on 7 August 1803 so I would think that your ancestor would be noted if he indeed was born there. If you live in Maine I can tell that the Maine State Library, in Augusta, has a copy of the Vital Records of Norridgewock.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 12:20AM GMT
Thanks for letting me know. I live in Wisconsin, but perhaps I can talk a researcher at the library into taking a peek for me. :)

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 5:25AM GMT
town office phone # is 207-634-2252.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 11:38AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: folsom
MAY help

groom's name: Charles T. Folsom
groom's birth date:
groom's birthplace: Of Norridgewock, Somerset, Maine
groom's age:
bride's name: Elizabeth Judkins
bride's birth date:
bride's birthplace: Of Fayette, Kennebec, Maine
bride's age:
marriage date: 05 Mar 1829
marriage place: Norridgewock, Somerset, Maine
groom's father's name:
groom's mother's name:
bride's father's name:
bride's mother's name:
groom's race:
groom's marital status:
groom's previous wife's name:
bride's race:
bride's marital status:
bride's previous husband's name:
indexing project (batch) number: M52268-1
system origin: Maine-EASy
source film number: 11577
reference number:

don't know if this is one of the same (transcription error ???)

name: Charles B Folsom
baptism/christening date:
baptism/christening place:
birth date: 18 Mar 1806
birthplace: Gorham, Cumberland, Maine
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: Dr Dudley Folsom
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Lucretia Swasey
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: I00600-4
system origin: Maine-EASy
source film number: 10930
reference number: p 93

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 2:25PM GMT
Yes. The first one is his marriage to my gggg-grandmother. I have the original of that. The second is not him. Do you have access to those records, or did you happen to find it somewhere?

Charles T. Folsom and Elizabeth Judkins had the following children that I know of:

Florilla D. Folsom (14 Jun 1829-25 Oct 1884)
Samuel P. Folsom (1831 - 22 Dec 1861) Killed in Civil War
Charles E Folsom (1 Aug 1833 - 10 May 1919)
Lucy Gilman Folsom (27 Apr 1835 - 18 Jun 1916)
Mary Elizabeth Folsom ( b 1837) Don't know who married or death date.
Lorenzo Judkins "Lew" Folsom (19 Mar 1840 - 17 Dec 1918)
Ann M Folsom (27 Nov 1842 - 19 Aug 1899)

All were born in Somerset County, but so far I have no birth records for any of them.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 10:47PM GMT
Charles T. Folsom was married in Norridgewock, but me may not have been born there, and none of his children seem to have been born there.

I have the book "Vital records of Norridgewock, Maine", printed in 2008. The only entries of any kind for Charles is a transcription of a marriage intention, and a marriage record, below. The names of his children are not listed in this book at all. So my guess it that he moved away from Norridgewock before having children.
Attachments:

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 11:09PM GMT
Thanks, Larry.

I have discovered in the mean time that Charles Taylor Folsom was born in nearby Leeds, Androscoggin, Maine on 1 Aug 1808, the son of Gordon Folsom (1788-1813) and Nancy Taylor, who was born in London, England. I don't have a birth or death date for her.

I realize this probably isn't of interest to you, but I'm putting it here in case someone else is following the same trail I did.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 8:47PM GMT
Surnames: Pease, Washburn
Larry,

Thanks so much for this generous offer!

I am looking for Hosea W. Pease. I believe he was born in Norridgewock around 1815. He was the son of Shubael and Betsey Washburn Pease. Some of his siblings names were Ambrose, Sybil, Sarah, and Edward. I would also be interested if your book offers divorce records. I have heard that Shubael and Betsey divorced late in their marriage (unsure of the date). It is also believed that both of them died and are buried in Norridgewock.

I would appreciate any information that you could offer me on this family.

Thanks again for your help!

Lynn Wells

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 10:47PM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2013 4:36PM GMT
Hosea is not listed in the book.

Shubael is listed three times. One regarding his wife's death, and two regarding the deaths of Ambrose and Edward. Betsey was listed just that one time, the same listing as Schubael.

There is one notice about about a marriage intention (but there are no actual marriage intentions in the book) for a name transcribed as Ambrose I. Pease in 1849, and, for some unknown reason, two widely seperated marriage intentions more than a decade later, to another woman, but with a transcribed different middle initial for Ambrose: Ambrose J. Pease. And those last two were regarding getting married to an apparent widow, as indicated by the "Mrs." before her name.

My guess is that considering the likely sloppy handwriting and the likely faded ink, and maybe a misunderstanding, that all three Ambroses are referring to the same person, whose first wife probably died.

I have no explanation for the 14 or 15 months between the two later marriage intention notices to the same woman. That's your job :)

There is also a notice of a marriage intention for Edward.

There is one death mention for Ambrose, and two for Edward.

Sybil and Sarah were not in this book.

There are no divorce records in this book.

For some unknown reason, this message board is refusing to accept the photo I am trying to attach, so I posted it online, where you can copy it:

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/5071/pease.jpg
per page

Find a board about a specific topic