Search for content in message boards

Lewis DNA Project

Lewis DNA Project

Posted: 12 Sep 2007 6:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lewis
Is there a chance that John Lewis of Westerly (1660-1690) and Edmund Lewis of MA could be related?

Re: Lewis DNA Project

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 11:22PM GMT
If you're referring to Edmond Lewis of Lynn, Massachusetts, the answer is probably no.

John Lewis Lewis of Westerly was descended from George Lewis of Kent, England. Although we don't know the parents of Edmond Lewis of Lynn, we do know that he came to America on the Elizabeth in 1634, in company with many passengers from within 25 miles of Ipswich, Suffolk, England.

It is therefore unlikely that Edmond of Lynn and John of Westerly were related.

Posted: 10 Aug 2008 2:57PM GMT
The Lewis DNA Project puts Edmund Lewis and John Lewis into different lines. Also, George Lewis of Kent, Eng. who settled in Barnstable, MA, is NOT related in any way to John Lewis of Westerly. The birthplace, parents, and wife of John Lewis of Westerly are unknown, though most agree he was from Wales.

Posted: 10 Aug 2008 5:28PM GMT
Surnames: LEWIS
Thanks for this information.

However, I'm confused. The Lewis Surname DNA Project web site shows two DNA lines for John Lewis of Westerly, RI, and no DNA line for Edmond Lewis of Lynn, Massachusetts, nor for William Lewis of Roxbury, Massachusetts.

In fact, we have no definitive information on John Lewis's origin,

So I don't see how we can say with any authority that John Lewis of Westerly was not related to any other Lewis Line of the 17th Century. There is no information by which "most" can agree that he was from Wales, or anywhere else, for that matter.

Posted: 10 Aug 2008 9:06PM GMT
Which are the two John Lewis lines? I am aware of Group 13 but which is the other?

Posted: 10 Aug 2008 11:14PM GMT
Participant number 170, at this web page, gives his lineage as leading to John Lewis of Westerly. However his DNA results do not tie to that lineage. If his paper trail is accurate, then it may mean there was a non-paternity event in his families past. That is, someone cheated.

http://lewissurnamednaproject.com/test_results.htm

Group 13 all tie together DNA-wise, but clearly some participants do not know in what way they are related to John of Westerly.

George of Barnstable is in Group 8, so unrelated within several hundred years at least.

You're right, I couldn't find Edmund Lewis's name in anyone's lineage, so I guess none of his known descendants has participated. As far as John Lewis of Westerly's ancestry, the only evidence is family tales, that is, all the various families I have spoken with, widely separated and unknown to each other, all replied that they believed that they were Welsh. Not proof of anything, but I put some stock in circumstantial evidence. That's the first place I would look for more evidence. Until it is shown that he was related to another colonist family named Lewis, I prefer not to speculate.

Posted: 11 Aug 2008 1:15PM GMT
Does anyone know who 170 is? Could these be mutated results? It appears the majority of the numbers are comparable to Group 13.

Posted: 11 Aug 2008 1:31PM GMT
Janet Crain is the administrator for the Lewis DNA Project. She would be the one to ask about group placements. Her email is ljcrain@pgrb.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions