Search for content in message boards

Wood and Williams families in Marion Co., AL

Wood and Williams families in Marion Co., AL

Debbie Miller (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2004 7:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wood, Woods, Williams
I would like to connect with anyone researching these families:
Moses and Alisy Wood or Woods from SC- moved to Marion Co. before 1840 and were still alive there in 1860. I don't know all of their children, but they had Aaron Wood b c. 1810 SC and married to Nancy b. 1815 in TN. I think they had about 13 children, all born in AL between abt 1825 and 1850: William, Lucy, Lewis, Moses Daniel, Melisa/Mary C., Disa, Rebecca Elisabeth, Louisa, Hiram James, Nancy Ann, Salisa "Alsy", Joseph M., and Martha E. "Patsy" Wood.

Rebecca Elisabeth Wood was born abt 1840 and married William Pinkney Williams b 1840. He was a neighbor in Marion Co (Pikeville), the son of John T. Williams and wife Nancy. John and Nancy were both born abt 1815 in GA. John died of typhoid fever in Sept 1869 in Marion Co. They had 6 children: Thomas, William Pinkney, James M., Franklin, Nathan R. (Robert?), and Martha C. (Mary?) Williams. The first 4 children were born in GA and the last 2 were born in Marion Co.

William Pinkney Williams may have died in the War- Rebecca E. is a widow with a 7 year old son, John W. Williams, in 1870 (Pikeville, Marion, AL). By 1872 she married a widowed neighbor, Benjamin D. Haney and moved to Franklin Co., AL.

I am still trying to locate gravesites for all of these ancestors.

If you recognize any of these people, please contact me. I have many gaps that need to be filled in.
Thanks, Deb

Willliam Wood (b. 1828) married Sarah Peoples in Marion Co in the 1850s

Richard Dugan (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2004 1:32AM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2004 5:25PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, Peoples, Dugan
Deb,
A Willliam Wood (b. 1828) married Sarah Peoples in Marion Co in the 1850s. I don't know if it is the same William Wood you are looking for but it might be. Sarah Peoples (b. 1836) was the dau. of James Peoples and Rachel McBride Peoples. The Peoples and the Dugans lived in the Pikeville area of Marion Co. from 1850 to 1863. They had come from Monroe and McMinn Counties in E. TN. The rest of the Peoples family fled with the Dugans to the north during the Civil War because of their northern sympathies. But Sarah stayed in Alabama with her husband (William Wood) and family. I think they may have moved back to TN later on. Hope this helps. Richard

William Wood b 1828, youngest son of Moses and Alisa Wood

Posted: 13 Jul 2004 3:55AM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2004 5:27PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, Peoples, Dugan
Richard, The William Wood b 1828 and married to Sarah was, I believe, the youngest son of Moses and Alisa Wood. He was born in TN and is living with his parents in 1850 in Marion Co. In 1860, they are living with William, Sarah and their first 2 children: Martha J. and Aaron F. By 1870, they have 2 more children: William R. and John A. Thanks for the information about where the Peoples and Dugans came from in TN- it may give me a starting place to trace my Woods back into TN and then to SC.

interested in your Purser connection

Kent Pusser (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2004 5:31PM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2004 5:27PM GMT
Surnames: Purser
Debbie I am much interested in your Purser connection. Purser is an ancesterial name in my lineage.

I don't have a Purser connection

Posted: 13 Jul 2004 7:28PM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2004 5:29PM GMT
Surnames: Woods, Williams, Purser
Kent,
I don't have a Purser connection-perhaps you replied to the wrong message. I am looking for Woods and Williams in Marion Co, AL. Sorry, Deb

William Wood family is in McNairy Co. TN in the 1880 census

Richard Dugan (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2004 12:54PM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2004 5:30PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, Peoples
Deb,
The William Wood family is in McNairy Co. TN in the 1880 census. You might also check there. The Woods may have had family connections there. I'm fairly certain that the Peoples did not. Good luck in the search.
Richard

which line James Peoples and his daughter Sally Peoples Woods is from

M.Peeples (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2004 8:34PM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2004 12:54AM GMT
Surnames: Peoples, Peeples, McBride, Woods, Garner
In McNairy Co. Tn. in 1830's & 40's There were definitely a lot of Peoples- Peeples { all related }

Seth Peoples & 8 children, most of them moved to Johnson Co. Ar. by 1850
- his brother
Charles Wesley Peeples and 11 kids, they stayed in McNairy Co. for Years, { my line }

How ever I can't find a James Peoples who married a Rachel McBride.
Now there was another Peoples line that were from Carter Co. Tn. that came from Ireland I believe,abt.1750

I would like to know which line James Peoples and his daughter Sally Peoples Woods is from.

I show;
-1- William Wood
------m/ Sally Peoples
--2- Arron W. Francis Woods b.Mar.24,1858 Marion Co.Al.
-------------------------------------------d.Nov 26,1899 Green Co. Ar.
-------m/ Mar.4,1874 McNairy Co. Tn
------Laura Queen Victoria L.P. Garner b.Dec.5,1861 McNairy
-----------------------Co.Tn. d.Dec.1,1945 Green Co. Ar.

Thanks for Your time and consideration
M.Peeples

Re: Wood and Williams families in Marion Co., AL

Posted: 24 Nov 2008 5:34PM GMT
where do i start? i am a grandson of b d haney. i was excited when i seen this. i know where he is buried and where you can find this on the internet. go to algenweb.com. then go to franklin co.. then find cemetaries. type b d haney(just like this) and you will come to a big list. scroll down to the h section and you will see the names on the list. i think there is about 6 or 7 haneys there. i have a some more info not much but a little. this is my first time to do this so overlook me. i would love to talk to you if you have any info. my email address is thehaneys@dlis.net.

Re: Wood and Williams families in Marion Co., AL

Posted: 24 Nov 2008 6:52PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, Williams, Haney, Sudduth
I found them- thanks. I've replied to you directly as well as I'd like to discuss the Haney's. I show Benj D Haney sr with 8 ch by his first wife Margaret Susan Sudduth and 2 by his second wife Rebecca Elizabeth Wood (widow of William Pinkney Williams). I may not have them all...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic