Search for content in message boards

Russell D. Holtsclaw, Rufus Holtsclaw

Russell D. Holtsclaw, Rufus Holtsclaw

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 3:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holtsclaw, Guinn/Gwinn/Gwyn, McCleard
Looking for information on Russell D. Holtsclaw born 14 Feb 1864, Watauga or Mitchell County, NC.

He married 1886 Tempie.

Tempie and Russell are listed in the 1900 census of Mitchell County, NC. They have one son William T. Holtsclaw born Nov 1889. Tempie was born 22 Feb 1865, died 9 April 1906.

Russell married 2nd Sallie Furgerson born 1 Aug 1891, died 2 July 1966, Carter County, TN. Russell died 30 April 1947, Carter County, TN.

I believe Russell was a son of Rufus Holtsclaw born 1832. Was his mother a Gwinn?

Who was Ann Gwinn? Who were the children she had by Rufus Holtsclaw? Does Peobe Gwinn fit into this picture someplace?

Was Russell D. Holtsclaw and William R. Holtsclaw son of Rufus and Louisa McCleard one and the same person?

What was Tempie Holtsclaw's maiden name. In 1900 census records it is recorded that she has been married 14 years and is the mother of 8 children only one of her children is alive in 1900.

Has anyone been able to prove a marriage for Rufus Holtsclaw and eithe of these women, Louisa McCleard, Ann Guinn/Gwyn/Gwinn or Pheobe Gwyn/Guinn/Gwinn?

Re: Russell D. Holtsclaw, Rufus Holtsclaw

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 3:45PM GMT
Yes, the mother of Rufus was Fanny Callaway. Do you know who the mother of his sone Russell D. Holtsclaw waa?

Posted: 31 Jan 2007 5:20PM GMT
Surnames: holtsclaw,mcclurg,guinn
Hello, Rufus Holtsclaw is my ggggrandfather he was married fist to Lavisa McClurg they had 9 children I come through ther daugter Martha(2/18/1866 8/18/1893) I'm not sure when Lavisa died Rufus died in 1887 He did marry Anna Guinn I guess they had a son named Daneil but the only Anna Guinn I have ever ran across was married to an Oakes.

Posted: 1 Feb 2007 2:13AM GMT
Surnames: Holtsclaw, Gwyn
I am just beginning to research this family. My nephew married Larissa Holtsclaw in September. Larissa is a great-great granddaughter of Russell D. Holtsclaw. Russell is one of the children that Rufus Holtsclaw had with Pheobe "Anna" Gwyn.

According to Larissa's family they always ran into a dead end when they tried to trace Russell D. Holtsclaw. After a bit of research I can understand why. It took me a while to come to the conclusion that Rufus Holtsclaw was rearing two families at the same time. One with Levisa, his wife, and one with "Anna" Gwyn.

I am attaching a census record for Rufus Holtsclaw from the 1900 Mitchell County census. Rufus Holtsclaw did not die in 1887. This census record will prove that he is alive in 1900. In 1990 the census records states that Rufus and "Anna" have been married for 8 years, this would be 1892. She states that she is the mother of 8 children, 7 of her children are living at this time. I have compiled the names of 6 of her 7 living children.

I can't find Pheobe "Anna" Gwyn or Rufus in 1870. If I can ever locate them in 1870 this might give me the name of her other child. They are living next door to each other in 1880 in Mitchell County.

I know that Rufus and Daniel, listed as Gwyn in 1880 later took the name Holtsclaw. I'm not sure yet about the other children of Pheobe Ann Gwyn.

This is proving to be an interesting family to research.

Do you have a list of who the children of Levica and Rufus married? I would like to get as much information as I can for my new niece and her family.

I will share any information I fine with you, if you want it.

If the census record attachment does not come through, contact me at; jzpeters@comcast.net and I will send it to you personally.

Dawn Peters
Attachments:

Posted: 1 Feb 2007 2:20AM GMT
Surnames: Holtsclaw, Gwyn
Ruth,

I am just beginning to research this family. My nephew married Larissa Holtsclaw in September. Larissa is a great-great granddaughter of Russell D. Holtsclaw. Russell is one of the children that Rufus Holtsclaw had with Pheobe "Anna" Gwyn.

According to Larissa's family they always ran into a dead end when they tried to trace Russell D. Holtsclaw. After a bit of research I can understand why. It took me a while to come to the conclusion that Rufus Holtsclaw was rearing two families at the same time. One with Levisa, his wife, and one with "Anna" Gwyn.

I tried attaching a census record for Rufus Holtsclaw from the 1900 Mitchell County census. For so reason the message would not go out with the attachment. Contact me personally at; jzpeters@comcast.net so I can send this cenus record to you.

This record shows that Rufus Holtsclaw did not die in 1887. He is alive in 1900. The 1900 census records states that Rufus and "Anna" have been married for 8 years, this would be 1892. She states that she is the mother of 8 children, 7 of her children are living at this time. I have compiled the names of 6 of her 7 living children.

I can't find Pheobe "Anna" Gwyn or Rufus in census reocrds in 1870. If I can ever locate them in 1870 this might give me the name of her other child.

They are living next door to each other in the census of 1880 in Mitchell County.

I know that Rufus and Daniel, listed as Gwyn in 1880 later took the name Holtsclaw. I'm not sure yet about the other children of Pheobe Ann Gwyn.

This is proving to be an interesting family to research.

Dawn Peters

Posted: 1 Feb 2007 8:42PM GMT
Surnames: holtsclaw mcclurg hicks
Rufus Holtsclaw is my ggggrandfather he was married first to Lavisa McMlurg they had 9 children their daughter Martha Holtsclaw Hicks is my line.Rufus did have 1 son with Anna Guinn his name was Daneil Rufus must have divorced Lavisa I have that he died in 1887 but Lavisa died after he did.

Posted: 1 Feb 2007 9:11PM GMT
Surnames: holtsclaw hicks
Hi Dawn, here's some of what I have on RUFUS AND Lavisa's children : John Elbert born 4/23/1852 married Eliza Winters died in a fire in a hunting cabin out west in 1906 David A.10/10/1854 Died 1/00/1886 married Amy Jones Sarah Lorraine 8/13/1856 died 6/00/1941 married Stephen Anderson Hicks her first cousin.They left Elk Park,NC with several other families after a Mormon Church revival in 1886 they ended up in Manassa, Colorado.William R. 8/28/1858 this is Russell he may have went to Colorado also.James married Polly ? born 12/29/1860.Francis 1/1/1862.Isaac1/15/1864 married Lilly Sliger he to went to colorado but returned after his divorce.Martha C. married Joseph Hicks Jr. in 1886/1887 my gggrandfather was born in 1887 in tn. so says his application for social security. Martha was born 8/18/1866 and died 2/18/1893 she was 27 Sherman was 7 I have nothing on Joe Hicks.I don't know who raised Sherman after his mothers death.The Hick's and Holtsclaw's are intertwined alot from what i;ve seen.

Posted: 2 Feb 2007 2:18PM GMT
Surnames: Holtsclaw, Gwyn, Ferguson, Lewis
The Russell Holtsclaw I am researching is the son of Rufus and Pheobe Anna Gwyn. He is listed in the household of Pheobe Gwyn in the 1880 Mitchell County census. He first married a lady whose given name was Tempy. According to the 1900 census Rufus and Tempie had been married 14 years. She was the mother of 8 children, only one child was living. This child was William T. Holtsclaw, born Nov. 1899. Tempie died about 1906. Rufus then married Sallie Fergurson. They moved to the Siam Valley of Carter County, TN. Rufus and Sallie became the parents of nine children.

Russell Holtsclaw died, 30 April 1947. He is buried in a Holtsclaw Cemetery near Banner Elk. Sallie died, 02 July 1966, she is buried beside Russell. Their son-in-law, Tyler C. Lewis who died in 1938 is also buried there. A couple whom I believe are the parents of Sallie Fergurson Holtsclaw are also buried there. They are James Fergurson born 1852, died 1939 and Fannie Fergurson born 1861, died 1934.

Do you think that the William R. Holtsclaw, a son of Levica and Rufus was also called Russell? I have not been able to locate any other Russell except the son of Rufus and Phobe Anna Gwyn.

I am still just beginning to scratch the surface of this family. As I continue I will try to sort out all of the children of both women.

I think Audrey is correct about Rufus living with both Levica and Pheobe Anna at the same time. If you look at the ages of the children of the two women, it appears Rufus was having children with both womem at almost the same time.

I would like to see the DNA results of the sons of these two women. Maybe some of the male descendatns of Pheobe and Levica would be interested in having DNA tests to see if they are all descendants of the same man.

Posted: 14 Jul 2007 1:39AM GMT
Surnames: Holtsclaw, Clawson, Mann, Guy, Cooper
in reference to the Holtsclaw name, there is an Emily Holtsclaw that is in one of my family trees, The Mann Family from Butler County, Johnson City, Tenn. I do not know when she was born or passed away. She was married to a David Hicks and he died in 1893, they had a daughter named Charlotta (lottie) Hicks, she was born in 1851 and died on July the 16th, 1925. My grandmother was a Mann and she married Troy Guy they lived on the road to nowhere in Stoney Holler, in Poga County, Tenn.

Debbie Guy Cooper

Posted: 4 Oct 2007 12:41AM GMT
My great great grandmother (Sophina Guinn) was the daughter of Anna Guinn and Nehaniah Oakes. I am told that Anna and Nehamiah were not married. Anna was the sister of Nehamiah's wife, Luranny Guinn. As far as I know Anna was the wife Rufus Holtsclaw. She was the daughter of George Gwinn and wife, Mary (maiden name unknown.) I hope this helps. My info on the Guinn's is not proven or complete.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions