Search for content in message boards

Gillespie - Ramelton, Co. Donegal, Ireland

Gillespie - Ramelton, Co. Donegal, Ireland

Posted: 20 Nov 1999 6:18PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2003 1:11AM GMT
Isabella Nesbitt married a Mr. Gillespie, abt. 1820, known children were Alexander Nesbitt Gillespie and Elizabeth Gillespie. of Ramelton, Co. Donegal, Ireland. - Any information appreciated.

Irish Gillespie's-Co.Donegal

Barbara Binks(nee Gillespie) (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 2000 4:33AM GMT
Dear Mr Lyman,this info may or may not be of use to you...I'm wondering if the Gillespie you mention i:e-Isabella Nesbitt- her children Alexander Elizabeth are related to a Sarah Nesbitt and a Jas Gillespie who married before 1847 ...they had one son that 'm aware of from I.G.I. RECORDS...William.Gordon Gillespie ...christened on the 5th September 1847 in Carmoney Co. Antrim...I know it is a generation down the line but there may be a connection rather than a coincidence??...my great grandfather Robert Gillespie was from Ballymena Co. Antrim...but prior to that from ?Donegal or Doagh....are you aware of the legend which suggests that the Gillespie's are descended from the Black-a-Moors....slaves from the Barbary coast...shipwrecked off the west coast of Ireland during the Spanish Armada????? fascinating stuff eh????.... BE INTERESTED TO HEAR YOUR VIEWS!!!!!! gOOD LUCK...Barbara.

Irish Gillespie's-Co.Donegal

Barbara Binks(nee Gillespie) (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 2000 4:54AM GMT
Dear Mr Lyman,this info may or may not be of use to you...I'm wondering if the Gillespie you mention i:e-Isabella Nesbitt- her children Alexander Elizabeth are related to a Sarah Nesbitt and a Jas Gillespie who married before 1847 ...they had one son that I'm aware of from I.G.I. RECORDS...William.Gordon Gillespie ...christened on the 5th September 1847 in Carmoney Co. Antrim...I know it is a generation down the line but there may be a connection rather than a coincidence??...my.Grandfather was William Alexander Gillespie and my great grandfather Robert Gillespie was from Ballymena Co. Antrim...there are connections with a Catherine,an Elizabeth and a David Gillespie...around the late 1870's when some farewells were said...some of the family either ELIzABETH(Lizzie)or Catherine(Kittie)and David(Davie)??? Catherines' husband..possibly ..son...left Ireland for pastures new....family say ..America ??Pennsylvania... prior to that.....pre..1850's from ?Donegal/ Doagh....are you aware of the legend which suggests that the Gillespies' are descended from the Black-a-Moors....slaves from the Barbary coast...shipwrecked off the west coast of Ireland during the Spanish Armada????? fascinating stuff eh????.... BE INTERESTED TO HEAR YOUR VIEWS!!!!!! gOOD LUCK...Barbara.

Gillespie - Nesbitt

Posted: 6 Jul 2000 11:38PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2003 1:11AM GMT
Dear Barbara - Thank you for your message - But I do not have enough information in my research to make a connection. Hopefully some day we shall find that big information that we help us all. Regards - Richard.

Gillespies of Donegal, NIR: 1700's

Posted: 8 Jan 2001 9:41AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2001 3:27AM GMT
Dear Barbara,
Can you tell us more about the legend of the Donegal Gillespies connection to slaves from the Spanish Armada? What is your source for this legend?
I am seeking information on Neal/ Cornelius Gillespie who was born circa 1740. His place of birth has been given as Argyll, Scotland and in another source as Co. Tyrone, NIR. A local historian in Donegal told me that there were Gillespies in Clonmany Parish in the mid 1700's and that Donegal people often traveled back and forth by sea to Argyll, Scotland. Argyll translates to "East Irish"
in Gaelic.
My family tradition places Neal Gillspie in Clonmany Parish, Donegal in 1760's working on the estate of a wealthy Doherty family. He eloped with the daughter of the landowner circa 1765 and went with her(Eleanor Doherty) first to New Castle, DE and later to Fayette Co., PA where they raised a large family of eight children. A recent letter from a Gillesie researcher gives his father's name as David and his brother's as John. The source of the information is given as a bible record of a descendant but I have not yet seen it. Any information on these Gillespies?

Gillespies of Donegal, NIR: 1700's

Posted: 8 Jan 2001 9:42AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2001 3:27AM GMT
Dear Barbara,
Can you tell us more about the legend of the Donegal Gillespies connection to slaves from the Spanish Armada? What is your source for this legend?
I am seeking information on Neal/ Cornelius Gillespie who was born circa 1740. His place of birth has been given as Argyll, Scotland and in another source as Co. Tyrone, NIR. A local historian in Donegal told me that there were Gillespies in Clonmany Parish in the mid 1700's and that Donegal people often traveled back and forth by sea to Argyll, Scotland. Argyll translates to "East Irish"
in Gaelic.
My family tradition places Neal Gillspie in Clonmany Parish, Donegal in 1760's working on the estate of a wealthy Doherty family. He eloped with the daughter of the landowner circa 1765 and went with her(Eleanor Doherty) first to New Castle, DE and later to Fayette Co., PA where they raised a large family of eight children. A recent letter from a Gillesie researcher gives his father's name as David and his brother's as John. The source of the information is given as a bible record of a descendant but I have not yet seen it. Any information on these Gillespies?

Spanish Armada-Gillespies

Posted: 10 Feb 2001 5:44AM GMT
Edited: 18 Oct 2001 10:31PM GMT
Dear Nicole,apologies for the delay in responding to your e-mail on 8/1/01....your information is fascinating...like you ..I am as interested in the background to the family tree.... if not more so ....than the tree itself end up getting "SIDE-TRACKED" FREQUENTLY!!!!!!....I also couldn't find your response on the message board...as a "recent"...so couldn't figure out where I had read it....until I stumbled across reply's to Richard Lymans E-mail... there you were!!!....I find this message board quite frustrating at times...I guess perhaps a lot of "professional" researchers use it.. as a mere amateur I find that a little
intimidating..as some of my queeries must appear very uninformed!!!!! IT FRUSTRATES ME WHEN I READ OF A POSSIBLE LINK WHICH IS NOT SPECIFICALLY TO ME THE SENDER SAYS "CALL ME"" ON THIS NUMBER OR WRITE ME AT THIS ADDRESS...AND PROCEED TO WITH-HOLD ANY FURTHER INFO!!!!!!.....Perhaps some people somewhere are paying for this info perhaps that's the reason.ANYWAY...back to the point.....I sent a message to the Gillespie message board yesterday...8/2/01...titled ..."gillespie Twins".....toward the end of which I again mention the Armada connection.....so please viewn this for the full message...basically...this "STORY" HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THROUGH "ORAL TRADITION"...DOWN THE GENERATIONS TO ME.....via my fathers'(Thomas.P.Gillespie)....brother(Pat(rick)William Gillespie)....through their Father(William Alexander Gillespie-1880-1962) his father(Robert Gillespie-born ? died around 1888-leaving my g.father an orphan-hence his passage to England...to the industrialised N.east...dock areas and railway areas...where no doubt Uncles had previously come to for employment...anyway after pondering for years on this "STORY" of the Armada....I found an old book at a dealers on The Spanish Armada.....with a section specifically related to the possibility of a few of the slaves having survived integrated into the local community....whilst the general opinion was that most of them would have been captured 7 killed....because it was a remote area of Ireland the possibility exists that a few of them were "taken in" DID survive...their appearance was also discussed again suggesting that this would have easily "identified"...but again this was countered by the isolation of the area...SO....WHO KNOWS!!!!!!.....I found/find this quite fascinating... I can't believe that a story such as this would have survived down the generations without there being some truth to it...and then to "find" a book ..which adds some substance to the possibility...just gives me more of an appetite to pursue it!!!!...only problem being....HOW!!!!I can't somehow imagine...barbary coast/black-a moor...slaves on the Armada being named "Gillespie"...this is where I start to annoy the "proffessional " researchers...show my ignorance in all it's glory... totally lose the plot!!!!.....so maybe I'll stay "stuck"...or maybe someone else out there in cyber-space has also had this "STORY" PASSED ON ... MAYBE....WE'LL MAKE A CONNECTION.....although I've looked at many Ships' passengers lists....... these don't seem too easy to come by on the internet.. do they?????!!!!!!So any one out there with any suggestions.....all gratefully accepted!!!!!! again anyone with any ideas on my "pie-in-the-sky"-"TWIN THEORY"-all ideas /info gratefully accepted!!!!! Finally-Nicole...many thanks for your wonderful E-mail...I'll see if I can come up with anything on the muster rolls for the era area... get back to you.I'm currently reading "The Great Shame" by Thomas Keneally.(author of "Schindlers' List")on the "social" history of Ireland between 1833 the early 1900s'a truly fascinating if not tragic account of these dark days I recommend it to anyone with an interest in their ancestry in Ireland.Well.. Nicole... I don't feel that anything I've shared will be of specific relevance to you...but you never know!!!!!!! Do you live in the U.S. ...U.K...or elsewhere!!! HOPE TO BE ABLE TO SHARE SOMETHING OF "USE" TO YOU SOON!!!!! regards...Barbara Binks (nee Gillespie)

Re: Gillespies of Donegal, NIR: 1700's

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 1:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Regarding Gillespies from Donegal and the Armada. There was a ship wrecked at Donegal called the La Trinidad Valencera.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions