Search for content in message boards

David Jess / Jesse, Robert McCroskrie Jess

David Jess / Jesse, Robert McCroskrie Jess

Posted: 22 Sep 2010 2:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: JESS, JESSE, MCCROSKRIE
Robert McCroskrie Jess was born about 1901 to David and Agnes Jess (Jesse) nee McCroskrie. I'm not sure of the location but possibly around Ayrshire in Scotland. He died in Western Australia in 1967.

Other children to David and Agnes were Samuel, Margaret and Agnes - I'm not sure if there are any others.

According to Census records, David Jess (Jesse) was born in Co Down Ireland in about 1864. Unfortunately I have not been able to find out any more information than that.

There seems to have been some confusion in our family tree done many years ago with a David Jess who married Mary Wason Brown who also had a child called Robert very similar in age and also around the Ayshire region. I have since discovered their son Robert died around 1917, and has been linked to our tree incorrectly.

If anyone has any info that could help me progress I would really appreciate it.

Angela Jess (grandaughter of Robert McCroskie Jess)

Re: David Jess / Jesse, Robert McCroskrie Jess

Posted: 23 Sep 2010 3:25PM GMT
Please contact me at darkwing@shaw.ca
I think I have something that will help you with your McCroskrie line.

Gail

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 8:50PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Cooke
This post was deleted by the author on 2 Jul 2013 11:00PM GMT

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 9:03PM GMT
Hi Thelma ... Am interested in your post as your grandmother and my grandfather were brother and sister. Robert being their brother. His photo was on the wall of our living room in Allans Hill until my grandmother, Jessie (Anderson) Jess died in 1961, my grandfather, James Hazel Jess, died in Ballochmyle Hospital in 1959.

Craigfin farm was about 3 miles from Maybole, I spent a lot of time at Craigfin, Loch Spouts and Craigdow in my youth as my grandmother was the contact for all the farmers around the town, and the tenants of all three farms were related to us.

Lochdoon monument I presume you mean Kildoon monument, about a mile from Allans Hill.

Were the ruins of the farm you mention at the side of Kildoon Hill? I was told an old cottage there was once gthe family home, but I cant remember if it was of my grandmother or grandfather.

I would love to see the picture of Robert in uniform as ours has disappeared and none of the family will own up to having taken it. My email address is ... gornalscot@hotmail.co.uk.

Kind regards,
Jim Williamson

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 3:07PM GMT

Hello Jim You do know me since we were at school in Carrick Academy together. My surname is Rodgers from Whitefaulds Avenue.. Need I go on!
I was a nurse who done my RGN training at Ballochmyle Hospital in 1965 I moved to England with my first husband and young family in 1972 to give us a better future,(lived in Catrine!)
I lived in Stevenage Hertfordshire until 1984 when after divorcing my husband I moved to Welwyn Garden City Hertfordshire with my two sons for 8 years as a single parent (unsupported).I was a sister at the hospital half a mile from my house and progressed to Nursing Oficer,General Manager,then assistant Director of Nursing in 1992.
I remarried The hospitals Area Estates Manager,Edward (Ted) Cooke whos wife had died three years previous (Ted was 42)
I retired in 1964,Ted in 1966 and we are in good health.
I would like to invite you onto our tree, The username is Tedachio and password Garlico. Please feel free to edit,add and change as you so wish.
On the subject of ancestry ,I often climed Kildoon Hill to visit the cottage at Craigfinn which was very exciting whilst I was growing up.Trying to imagine my ancesters lives since I heard so much about them.
My brother Jimmy remembers going ther as a child
I also took my present husband there early in our courtship
(We couldnt climb the hill now!)
I remember visiting Auntie Jessie at Allans Hill (my mother was fond of her.I loved to listen to Uncle Jimmy Jess,I remember he developed Cancer on his ear,he always flicked his cap on that ear and Mother decided that this was the causation.(Who needed Doctors in those days!)
I will ask my husband to scan the print of Robert Jess.
Robert didnt die in Theatre of war but of "Pharos curse" in Egypt.Mother told us all that grannny Lindsay (Maggie Brown Jess )was distraught for a long time after his death,her long hair was forever soaked in tears and she never got over his passing.
Thank-you so much for contacting me Jim , I am delighted.My school group photo is on the Carrick Academy website,sitting between Pat Miller (my schoolgirl best friend, and Helen Mc Cormack).
Please continue to correspond Best wishes to you and yours!
Thelma.

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 12:57PM GMT
Hi James Williamson,

Although it is not our family some of us get enjoyment from reading your exchanges and we even get pleasure for you when you find a live rellie.
So by doing it off the list we miss all that..

Who knows some of us may connect to another name you throw in there. You will never know if you do it off list.

Irene in New Zealand

Hi Irene,

Point taken, but via email I can send personal information I don't wish to share with everyone, and also I can send a GEDCOM version of my family research. No offence meant.

Jim in Dudley (UK)

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 2:57PM GMT
Hi Thelma, I know the name but can't put a face to you, so if you have a photo from those days to jog my memory it would be much appreciated.

I was m8's with Wullie Waugh via the Army Cadets, he lived in Whitefaulds Avenue if I remember rightly.

I joined the Royal Air Force in 1962 on a nine year engagement, plus 3 in reserve. Did my basic training at RAF Bridgnorth and met my wife in Wolverhampton on the first day we were allowed off camp. Had been in 6 weeks and it was the first day of the 1962/63 football season so a crowd of us went to see Wolverhampton Wanderers. It was fantastic for me as Wolves had always been my favourite English team. They beat Manchester City 8-1 that day, 18th August 1962. After the match we went in to Wolverhampton town centre where we saw three lovely young girls .. and the rest is history. We are in our 49th year of marriage.

I'm a bit confused about you climbing Kildoon Hill to visit the cottage at Craigfin Thelma .... as Craigfin farm is about a couple of miles past Kildoon Hill, and Craigfin Cottages are about three miles outside the town on the Dailly Road??? There is the ruin of an old cottage on the Allans Hill side of Kildoon Hill where I was told a a wee boy that some of our relatives used to live, but I can't remember now which ones. I'll need to phone my cousin, Bert Jess, for a refresher, and also to ask him about you. We loved climbing Kildoon Hill as kids, not for us the easy route, nope, we had to climb the landslide part to see who could do it fastest. Also went to Kilhenzie wood to get our wood to make bows and arrows. But one thing we never did was cause any vandalism. We took what we wanted and left it as though we had never been there. We also jumped or vaulted the Black Burn. I remember once, on a wide part of hte burn, I jumped, landed right on the edge at the other side, and prompty fell back in to the burn. Soaked from head to foot I was and had to run home like that. Taught me a lesson though as I never fell in again.

Thanks for the invitation to view your tree, I had a quick look last night, but will have a better look soon. I used to have a website with all my information but when I left Talktalk they took it down, the rotters, I tried to get it back with no luck.

My Grampa was affectionately know as "auld Jimmy" and my Granny as "auld Jess", they would welcome anyone in as it was open house. Even when they were out the front door was invariably open .. and most people had the door key on a string so you just had to put your hand through the letterbox to open the door. Can you imagine doing that today eh? You would come back to an empty house!!!

Grampa had one leg a lot shorter than the other, so when he sat in his chair he would always have one leg under the other, usually smoking his pipe. I remember the growth on his ear vividly as it went right through his ear. He went in to Ballochmyle Hospital and they removed his ear. When he first saw the results he was really upset, but they told him they would provide him with a new ear. Sadly it wasn't to be as they later found his insides were riddled with cancer and he died soon after, that was in 1959, when I was 14. Grampa was the quiet one, Granny was definitely the boss, but they both had a heart of gold and I have fond memories of both of them.

Although Rober's picture in uniform was on the wall of our living room in Allans Hill I can never remember hearing anyone talking about him. It was only when we foudn out about him dying in WW1 that the penny dropped. Sadly that was many years later and nobody seems to know where that picture went. We thought Robert was killed in action, an assumption I admit, what was the "Pharos curse" Thelma???
I can well imagine the grief it caused losing a child in the war, especially as he was buried over there so you couldn't even have a funeral to lay them to rest. Must have been purgatory.

Can you identify your school photo for me please? I've had a look through all of htem but can't see which one you are on. Are you still in contact with Pat Miller? She was a lovely lass. She worked with my Auntie Betty in Hendersons, in the old coffee shop and Carrick cinema at the top of the Kildoup (Welltrees Street).

Jim Williamson xx

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 3:12PM GMT
Hi Thelma,

Forgit to ask, but you mentioned the Lindsay name ..... do you remember "Maggie Lindsay" who live in School Vennel? I don't have my research in front of me but I think she was my Granny's sister ... just wondered if there was any other connection to hte Jess family???

Jim xx

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 10:58PM GMT
Hello again Jim,to learn about the family history is like sipping a glass of good wine! Please continue this journey.
Granny Lindsay was my mothers mother who lived at the school vennel with brother James,sister Peggy,Nellie,Gracie
and Joyce.
My mother is 101 years old this June and is in a private nursing home in 3 Cargill Fairknowe Nursing Home.Mother no longer knows what time of day it is,memory almost gone.
A lot of my family knowledge base I got from Mother since I always loved to hear about the history of the families,Jess/Lindsay/Rodgers striving to make our lives easier.
I understand Aunt Joyce lived in Kirkmichael Road Maybole,before that she lived next door to Granny Lindsay in a new block of flats next to the football field and moved when she died (99years of age I think).She tripped and fell and was admitted to hospital with a broken ankle and died two days later.The family have longlivety.
Aunty Joyce had a son called Richard,good looking lad but alas we never seen much of him since I left home and went into Nurse training at 17years of at Ballochmyle.
Aunty Joyce married Richard Milne from Stirling who had just left the Army and settled in Maybole,He mainly did Building work.There wasnt much choice of work around to bring in the BIG money.
Aunty Grace (Smith) lived in Whitefaulds when rearing her children,Grace her daughter (my age)died in her early forties in London.
Grace lived in Glasgow ,left her husband and children and went to London in search for a better life.Grace had "film star" looks ,natural biege blonde hair with a model figure.Life in Glasgow living near her parents would not be ideal.Father Richard was a very cruel man and the children and Aunt Grace lived in fear of him.I feel that he may have suffered from effects of the war when he was in the Black Watch.He was a very gallant soldier removing a countries flag from a famous building in Naples and brought it home along with propoganda leaflets fom Muscellini.
Aunt Gracie left Glasgow when he died of a heart condition and moved to a nice flat by the riverside in Ayr (behind M@S)to be near her son Richard since she was registered blind. Richard lives in Alloway.Aunt Gracie is now deceased.
Richard was an IT Consultant with Dell.Yet again I never had much contact with him...nice lad.
The other children were Gordon,Kenneth and Irene who lives in America, one child died in infancy.
I dont want to run out of characters Jim .I will continue this story on another page
Trust this is helpful Thelma x

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 10:58PM GMT
Hello again Jim,to learn about the family history is like sipping a glass of good wine! Please continue this journey.
Granny Lindsay was my mothers mother who lived at the school vennel with brother James,sister Peggy,Nellie,Gracie
and Joyce.
My mother is 101 years old this June and is in a private nursing home in 3 Cargill Fairknowe Nursing Home.Mother no longer knows what time of day it is,memory almost gone.
A lot of my family knowledge base I got from Mother since I always loved to hear about the history of the families,Jess/Lindsay/Rodgers striving to make our lives easier.
I understand Aunt Joyce lived in Kirkmichael Road Maybole,before that she lived next door to Granny Lindsay in a new block of flats next to the football field and moved when she died (99years of age I think).She tripped and fell and was admitted to hospital with a broken ankle and died two days later.The family have longlivety.
Aunty Joyce had a son called Richard,good looking lad but alas we never seen much of him since I left home and went into Nurse training at 17years of at Ballochmyle.
Aunty Joyce married Richard Milne from Stirling who had just left the Army and settled in Maybole,He mainly did Building work.There wasnt much choice of work around to bring in the BIG money.
Aunty Grace (Smith) lived in Whitefaulds when rearing her children,Grace her daughter (my age)died in her early forties in London.
Grace lived in Glasgow ,left her husband and children and went to London in search for a better life.Grace had "film star" looks ,natural biege blonde hair with a model figure.Life in Glasgow living near her parents would not be ideal.Father Richard was a very cruel man and the children and Aunt Grace lived in fear of him.I feel that he may have suffered from effects of the war when he was in the Black Watch.He was a very gallant soldier removing a countries flag from a famous building in Naples and brought it home along with propoganda leaflets fom Muscellini.
Aunt Gracie left Glasgow when he died of a heart condition and moved to a nice flat by the riverside in Ayr (behind M@S)to be near her son Richard since she was registered blind. Richard lives in Alloway.Aunt Gracie is now deceased.
Richard was an IT Consultant with Dell.Yet again I never had much contact with him...nice lad.
The other children were Gordon,Kenneth and Irene who lives in America, one child died in infancy.
I dont want to run out of characters Jim .I will continue this story on another page
Trust this is helpful Thelma x
per page

Find a board about a specific topic