Search for content in message boards

Which military branch and time period?

Which military branch and time period?

Posted: 13 May 2013 10:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 May 2013 12:12PM GMT
I'm trying to identify the military branch and time period of the soldiers in this picture. There are a few clues like the infantry insignia on their hats and the bayonets.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments:

Re: Which military branch and time period?

Posted: 16 May 2013 8:14PM GMT
First clue is the rifle- a Springfield Model 1903. So it's after 1903 and before the First World War in 1917. They're wearing the army blue dress uniform which wasn't really issued during the war. The cap insignia badges actually look like the crossed cannon of artillery. No overseas stripes or medal ribbons, the man in the upper left appears to have a Spanish American War medal. So you're looking at roughly 1904- 1916, I'd say closer to the lower end of those dates.

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 5:03AM GMT
Classification: Military
Edited: 10 Jun 2013 12:11PM GMT
They are US Army. The Marines of that time worn a different uniform and cover (hat).

I enlarged the insignia and it is not Infantry, but the crossed cannons for the Artillery. The rifles are not 1903 Springfield, but Springfield Model 1982-99.
“The Springfield Model 1892-99 Krag-Jørgensen rifle is a Norwegian-design bolt action rifle that was adopted in 1892 as the standard United States Army military longarm, chambered in U.S. caliber .30-40 Krag. All versions and variants were manufactured under license by the Springfield Armory between 1892 and 1903. The U.S. Krag was replaced beginning in 1903 with the introduction of the M1903 Springfield rifle. - The Blue Wool Army Uniform Coat was worn Post Civil War through 1898. Until the Spanish American War the US Army blue wool uniform was the issue for all seasons. As part of the redesign effort spawned by our military campaigns in tropical areas a complete redesign effort was mounted. Although the traditional army blue uniform was slated to be slowly phased out, they were still in issue in many areas through 1910. The legacy of Army Blue lives on, in the current day dress uniform worn by officers and enlisted.
Five bright raised shield US eagle buttons were used to close the coat.. It had a rolled falling open collar. and no external pockets. The jacket had a standard cuff fixed with three small bright eagle buttons that had no purpose other than decorative. It also had a and a band of stitching nearly three inches above the cuff. The jacket was fully lined with a black cotton liner and included a single interior breast pocket. There were no shoulder tabs and seams were single sewn. The jacket was constructed of blue wool and most surviving specimens seem to be of a standard color. “

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 8:41PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me!!!

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 8:42PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I was keeping my fingers crossed that there was some clues hidden in there somewhere. Now I have to figure out which family member this could be. I appreciate your time.

Posted: 12 Jun 2013 11:50PM GMT
The rifles are not Krag's- Krag's have a very easily identifiable magazine that extends from the right side of the receiver. Also they have the straight stock of the early 1903 model Springfield's. The later models had the pistol grip stock.

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 12:04AM GMT
And the 1902 pattern uniform the troops are wearing-
Attachments:

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 5:35AM GMT
Isn't that what was said....

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 3:02PM GMT
In a word- no. Just posting correct identification of rifle and uniform, it's not a Krag or the pre-1902 blue uniform.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions