Search for content in message boards

Irish Catholics in London and surronding areas

Irish Catholics in London and surronding areas

Posted: 18 Sep 2005 6:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
C'mon folks, I know there were gads of them in Middlsex county so lets do sort of a roll call here on the message boards.

I am convinced I have some connection to most of the Irish Catholic community, especially in London, so I'd love it if someone out there could prove me right - or wrong! ;-)

Sincerely,
Sue O'Meara

Looking at these different families with connection to my own:

McCarthy, Hogan, Morkin, Toohey, O'Meara, Donohue, Collisson, Quinn, Whelihan, Cooney, O'Neil, O'Brien, Barry, Whalen, Cain, Darcey/Darcy/Dorsy/Dorsey, Croke, Smith, Davis, Dewan, Dwyer, Kennedy, Gleeson....the list goes on and on!

Re: Irish Catholics in London and surronding areas

Posted: 19 Sep 2005 2:52AM GMT
Surnames: Sweeney
My Sweeneys, Patrick and Francis, both lived in Middlesex County until they moved to Michigan in the 1880s. They also had a brother named Thomas and possibly one named Peter. They were definitely Irish Catholics. Why are you looking for Middlesex Irish Catholics? These Sweeneys lived in Strathroy.

Sue O'Meara (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2005 10:06PM GMT
Edited: 20 Sep 2005 12:32PM GMT
Surnames: Sweeney, Whalen, Cooney, Morkin, Kennedy, Ryan
Why am I looking for Irish Catholics in Middlesex county? Because that's what a good portion of my tree consists of and I was hoping to stimulate some conversation on the Irish Catholics in the county. It seems that I don't have many folks I've connected with that were Irish and Catholic. The history books often seem to skim over many of them as well.

So I was interested in connecting with more folks doing research on the families of the area to see if there are other connections etc.

As an example, I have an Anne Sweeney in my family tree that married a Daniel Whalen. Could Daniel Whalen be related to Patrick Whalen who married Anne Cooney? As the Cooney's of London seem to be connected to my family through the Morkin's and Kennedy's. Also, Patrick Whalen's son married a Ryan girl and I've run into many Ryan's who seem to be connected to the Toohey/Davis/O'Meara families.

These are the types of connections I was hoping to explore further. I seem to have many obscure connections that I'd love to try and piece together a bit more. It's just hard to do on your own.

Sincerely,
Sue O'Meara
Michigan, USA

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 12:13AM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2005 1:36AM GMT
Surnames: Sweeney, Fox, Kennedy, McNulty, Cooney, Fanning, Murphy, McCarthy, Judge
Sue, I am actually on the same hunt and for the same reasons. It is hard to find Irish Catholic history. My Sweeneys came to Peterboro in York County and then moved to Middlesex and later to Isabella County in Michigan. We do have Kennedys in the family so there is a common name. Francis Sweeney married Maria McNulty in Strathroy and Patrick W. Sweeney married Dorothy Judge in Michigan. There were four Sweeneys living in Middlesex in the 1870s-1880s named Thomas, Peter, Francis, and Patrick. Peter stayed in Canada so if you spot him anywhere, let me know. I will dig out the Kennedy history to see if any of your names appear. I do have Kathleen Sweeney 1898-1958 married to Frank Cooney. Their children are Robert, Michael, Joseph, Richard, and Mary Jane. Other names are Tighe, McCarthy, Murphy, Fanning, and Fox.

Ann (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2005 2:36PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2005 8:05PM GMT
Surnames: Sweeney, Reardon, Callaghan, Walsh, Maher
Hi Sue:
You can count me in! I have lots of Irish R.C. in my ever expanding family file.
From Middlesex Co. - London Twp., Adelaide Twp., Caradoc Twp and even stretching into Lambton County.
To name a few: Callaghan, Walsh, Maher, Johnson/Johnston, Dowling/Doolen, Healy, Collins, Feeney, O'Leary, and of course Morkin, Toohey, O'Meara, Donohue & O'Dwyer.

Re: Sweeney, I do have a Patrick Sweeney, Mary Reardon family (John, Hannora & James) Caradoc Twp., Middlesex Co. if that is any help.
Ann

Re: Caroline Donohue Taylor

sm (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2005 2:27AM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2005 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: Donohue, Taylor
Sue: I am interested in the family name: Donohue. Have a Caroline Donohue that married a John Taylor. Cannot find any information on Caroline,but was listed as the mother of John Taylor Jr.,on his marriage certificate,dated Nov. 9,1916 She could have been his step-mother?? John Jr.,was my grandfather. I also have very limited information on John Jr. and his siblings. Any information on your Donohue connection would be appreciated.

Joseph O'Neil (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2005 7:25PM GMT
Hi;
What O'Neils looking for?
anytime
joe

O'Neil - Re: Irish Catholics in London and surronding areas

Sue O'Meara (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2005 1:52AM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2005 12:24PM GMT
Surnames: O'Neil, Cooney
Well, I have a Patrick O'Neil b. abt. 1835 in Ireland to Henry O'Neil and Margaret Welsh/Walsh. He married a Mary Morkin in London in 1861 and then I seem to loose track of them shortly after that. Patrick did have a sister named Martha O'Neil b. abt. 1829 and married a John Cooney and eventually moved to Michigan.

Then there is a Mary O'Neil who was born around 1822 who was married to a Michael Cooney b. abt. 1822. They lived out in Biddulph and I wonder if they might be related to the family above?

Do you know anything of these O'Neil's?

Sue

Posted: 16 Feb 2006 3:11AM GMT
Ann,

Just digging into more Irish Catholic families to see if there are any obscure relations. Ran into a Catherine Callahan born 1863 daughter of Patrick & Catherine Unknown.

Any connection to any of the Callaghans your researching?

Ann (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2006 4:01AM GMT
No, I'm afraid not!
Thanks for getting in touch with me.
Ann
per page

Find a board about a specific topic