Search for content in message boards

Littleberry Carter

Littleberry Carter

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 1:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am confused as to how Littleberry could have married his second wife Eliza Parker in 1848, having Charles Liburn Carter born April 1850---but he was on the 1850 census with first wife Nancy Stinnet and Charles 1 month old (born Sept 1850). Anyone have idea?

Pat Ellis vtmoogie@comcast.net

Re: Littleberry Carter

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 4:55PM GMT
I have found through out the years, that census takers would get information from a neighbor if the family wasn't available to give the info. that is why wills,deeds and court records are so important along with the family Bible.

Re: Littleberry Carter

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 7:38PM GMT
Nancy died in January according to census mortality schedule. Census day was June 1 so she shouldn't have been included. There are a couple of reasons this error could have happened, either respondent or enumerator error. Thinking census day was January 1 would be one example. Another might be that a neighbor was the respondent and forgot when exactly Nancy died.

Have you actually seen the marriage record for Littleberry and Eliza Parker? I haven't; I've only seen a transcription. I trust the records I can see over someone else's transcription. If you can physically look at the marriage record that might clear it up.

As I'm sure you are aware, Charles was born in the fall. Nancy died in January. That left LB plenty of time to marry Eliza and for her to get pregnant. Charles actually shouldn't have been included on the 1850 census either since he wasn't alive June 1. This shows that all it takes to screw up the census is for one person to misunderstand or mis-ask a question.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions