Search for content in message boards

Maynooth Seminary records 1850-60

Maynooth Seminary records 1850-60

Posted: 13 Aug 2006 4:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Aug 2006 5:04PM GMT
Surnames: Connelly, Ward
Can anyone please help?

I am trying to establish if records for the seminarians at Maynooth during the period 1850 to 1860 still exist; and if so, where are they currently located in Ireland and are they available for inspection.

I understand that either the NLI or the National Archive holds an index of ordinations over the lifetime of the Seminary, but I am, primarily, interested in those students who - for whatever reason - failed to complete their studies.

My reason for asking is that I have recently learnt that my GGF, John Connelly, studied for a period at Maynooth during the 1850s; but, either on his part or that of the college authorities, it was decided that he did not have a vocation and he returned home to Co. Galway. He was born circa 1840 and married my GGM, Mary Ward, in Beagh Parish Church, Gort in 1861.

Many thanks

Chris

Re: Maynooth Seminary records 1850-60

Posted: 15 Aug 2006 8:56PM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2006 9:46PM GMT
You should contact the Russell library at the NUI Maynooth- they hold extensive collections about the history of the college, but they do not have an archive index online. perhaps they might be able to tell you if such records exist. in 1995 for the 200 year anniversary of the college Rev P Corish wrote a book (nearly 500 pages long) about the college and the priest that studied there, but as far as i'm aware it only deals with those that are actually became priests. The contact name is available on the NUI Maynooth website- they are a friendly and courteous staff. If you are from Ireland a visit there would be worth your while.

Re: Maynooth Seminary records 1850-60

Chris Connolly (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2006 10:54PM GMT
Edited: 18 Aug 2006 7:54PM GMT
Dear Ciaran

Many thanks for your informative reply. I fully intend to do as you recommend and write to the Russell Library at the NUI at Maynooth. I sense from your reply that this search - if possible - will involve good old-fashioned research, trawling through dusty tomes. Unfortunately, I do not live in Ireland, but do visit fairly often; we intend to come across to Galway next spring and could include a visit to the NUI then.

Thanks again

Chris
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions