Hi: Here is some of what I have; have separate writeup on Richard Poston Jr., s/o Richard Sr. & Anne Campbell. Richard Sr. married (2) Isabella Whitley; they also had a set of children. Eager to hear from you. Jack Hockett: Tlas101@aol.com
Descendants of John Poston
1. John Poston #22659, b. 1686 in near London, England,1 d. bef May 24,1744 in Charles County, Maryland. John Poston: #22659
23 Apr 1703: To America on the ship "Loyalty" , arriving this date. Manifest states age 17 "Off Shrewsberrey".["Passengers To America: a Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists from the New England Historical and Genealogical Register"; Genealogical Publishing (1977)
"He was listed as age 17, bound 5 years as a servant to Henry Brown, master of the vessel "Loyalty." Presumably, Brown sold the indenture to a resident of Maryland to cover the cost of passage." [Ref: John Poston (1703); His Family To Four Generations"; J. Michael Poston, 29 Orchard Way South, Rockville, Maryland 20854: Ph: (301)424-4064]
__ ___ 1703: Leonard Towne Maryland: bound over to Henry Brown, gent. of Leonard Towne, Maryland[Ref:"The Poston Family of Charles County, Maryland"; Mrs. Nettie Leitch Major][Maryland Warrants]
18 Nov 1729: Charles County, Maryland: Indenture between Edward Davis Sr. and John Poston Sr. (both of Charles County) (Poston paid 3 pounds for 50 acres) ..."being the half of a tract of land called Good Will" Wit: Jno. Briscoe, Charles Somt. Smith [Charles Co. Land Records; T.L.C. Genealogy (1994), p109[Liber M., No. 2] The tract called Good Will, on the east side of Piles Fresh Main Swamp, was sold along with another tract called "William Inlarged" ..."bounded by the line of John Poston Sr. ...87 acres on 03 Mar 1737/8[Recorded 07 Aug 1738] by James Davis of Prince Georges Co. to Benjamin Wood for 5 lbs. [CCMD, Land Records, 1773-1743; T.L.C. Gen. 1993, p65[Book O, #2, CC Circuit Court, Land Records, p338]
12 Nov 1740: Charles County, Maryland: John Poston Sr. sells land to Philip Key of St. Mary's Co for 3000 lbs of tobacco, "which is part of 20,616 lbs. tobacco that sd. John Poston Sr. and his son, John Poston Jr. owe said Philip ... "all the plantation and tract of land whereon sd John Poston Sr. now lives, being the half of a tract of land called Goodwill ...John Poston Sr. or Jr. to pay Key by 10 Nov 1744[to void deed]; Wit: James Dickson, Benjamin Gale Sig: John Poston (his mark) [ibid., p101[p490] [Information from "Some Early Poston Notes; Charles County, MD; Thomas Jack Hockett, (draft of 20 Feb 1996]
24 May 1744: Charles County, Maryland: Will dated 1739; probated 24 May 1744, Charles County, Maryland; names wife, Susannah; six sons: John, Thomas, Francis, William, Edward, Jeremiah; four daughters: Mary, Susannah, Rebecca, Charity.
He married (1) Jeanette Holmes #22661, married in Ireland.2
He married (2) Susannah ???? (Poston) #22660.
+ 2. i John Poston #31499 b. cir 1715.
3. ii Thomas Poston #31500, b. cir 1717.3 Thomas Poston: #31500
13 Aug 1746: Charles County, Maryland: Thomas Poston of Charles Co. sold to Edward Davis (carpenter), for 5000 lbs of tobacco, land, "commonly called Poverty", bounded by Piles Creek(St. Thomas Creek), 82 acres. Sig: Thomas(his mark) Poston; Wit: John Winter & Robert Yates. This deed acknowledged by Thomas Poston & Mabel, his wife. [Information from "Some Early Poston Notes; Charles County, MD; Thomas Jack Hockett, (draft of 20 Feb 1996].
He married Mable ???? (Poston) #41667, married bef Aug 29,1750 in Charles County, Maryland(?).4
+ 4. iii Francis Poston #31501 b. cir 1719.
+ 5. iv William Poston #22657 b. cir 1721.
+ 6. v Edward Poston #31502 b. aft 1721-30.
7. vi Jeremiah Poston #31503.
8. vii Mary Poston #31504.
9. viii Susannah Poston #31505.
10. ix Rebecca Poston #31506.
11. x Charity Poston #31507.
She married3 Thomas Slanton #41897.
2. John Poston #31499, b. cir 1715.3 (See father's will) John moved to Virginia bef 1735; moved to North Carolina.
He married3 Priscilla ???? (Poston) #41898.
+ 12. i John Poston #41899 b. cir 1761.
13. ii James Poston #41901.
+ 14. iii Samuel Poston #41904 b. cir 1769.
15. iv Jeremiah Poston #41902, b. cir 1774.5
He married Hannah Strump #41903, married 1795.3
4. Francis Poston #31501, b. cir 1719,3 d. 1777 in Loudoun County, Virginia.1 Francis Poston: #31501
14 Nov 1750: Charles County, Maryland: William Poston requested that an indenture from Francis Poston of Prince Georges Co., to Wm. Poston, for 2000 lbs of tobacco, land ...called Poverty ..containing .823 part of an acre "which was devised to said Francis Poston by his father, John Poston, as by his will dated 12 Dec 1730; Sig: Francis(his mark)Poston; Wit: Will Eilbeck & Jno. Winter. Sarah, wife of Francis Poston, released her dower. Deed recorded 21 Nov 1750. [Information from "Some Early Poston Notes; Charles County, MD; Thomas Jack Hockett, (draft of 20 Feb 1996]
Francis Poston is stated to have moved to Loudoun County, Virginia and died there in 1777.
He married3 (1) Unknown ???? (Poston) #41906.
Unknown: (The name of Francis Poston's first wife is unknown at present).
+ 16. i Samuel Poston #41907 b. cir 1745.
+ 17. ii Francis Poston #41908 b. cir 1745.
+ 18. iii Elijah Poston #41909 b. 1749.
He married (2) Sarah ???? (Poston) #41668, married bef Nov 14,1750,4 d. 1777.3
5. William Poston #22657, b. cir 1721 in Maryland,6 County of: farmer & vestry in Trinity Parish, Charles County, Maryland, County of: Charles,6 d. Mar 9,1777 in Charles County, Maryland.1 William Poston: #22657
15 Feb 1744/5: Charles County, Maryland; William Poston requested that a lease br recorded wherein Philip Key acknowledge that he had received "full satisfaction" ..all tobacco ever due him from John Poston Sr, late of Charles County and "therefore release to the person he has left that land to, which he had before mortgaged to me, all my right to the land"; Sig: Philip Keys Wit: Ja: Wood, Dent Suit, Andrew [his mark] Hilton Jr.[CCMD, Land Records, 1743-1752; T.L.C. Genealogy, 1993, p37: CCMD Land Record Book Z, No. 2, p10]
"The implication seems to be that Wm. Poston is the person he(Key) has left that land to..." Priscilla, "the wife of John Poston", released her dower on 12 Mar 1745 in an indenture from John Poston to Priscilla Briscoe.[beginning of deed missing]; Sig: John[his mark]Poston Wit: Robt. Yates, Wm. Middleton & Philip Briscoe[Ibid, p39; CC Land Record Book Z, No. 2, p81][Information from "Some Early Poston Notes; Charles County, MD; Thomas Jack Hockett, (draft of 20 Feb 1996] (Note: Re: Priscilla, "the wife of John Poston"; She is stated to be a daughter-in-law of the immigrant and not wife)[Ref: J. Michael Poston, 29 Orchard Way South, Rockville, MD 20854]
08 Jan 1774: Charles County, Maryland: William Poston signed his will (this date) "William (his mark) Poston with John Sothoron, James Waters and W. Waters, his witnesses who gave Oath 29 May 1777. Therein he mentiones his wife Priscilla(above), son, Jeremiah "living in North Carolina could but have notice to be present", children, Elias, Alexander, Richard, Judith, Anne, and William Poston, each of them 1/8th part... sister-in-law, Rachel Noe, ..."she is to be taken care of by my wife and children" ...Priscilla Poston appeared 29 May 1777 ...claims her dower ...[CCMD, Wills, Admin Accounts Inventories & Orphan Cort Proceedings 1777-1780, T.L.C. Gen. 1995, p 7] Letters of administration granted for estate of William Poston, deceased, to Priscilla Poston, widow, with James Waters & Philip Davis her securities, bond 3000 lbs. Inventory received, 979:14:2 lbs., 13 Sep 1777 including 17 slaves.
[Information from "Some Early Poston Notes; Charles County, MD; Thomas Jack Hockett, (draft of 20 Feb 1996]
"William Poston served as a member of the vestry/church warden of Trinity Parish. He is thought to be buried by the Dent Memorial Chapel on the grounds of Charlotte Hall Academy..." (but is not found)[Ref: Poston Research of: J. Michael Poston, Rockville, MD).
He married Priscilla Noe #22658, married bef 1745,6 d. 1797 in Charles County, Maryland.1
Priscilla: (Priscilla's maiden name from William Poston's will;... identifying Priscilla's sister as Rachel Noe.) (Note: 09 Nov 1725: Charles County (MD) Court: Leah Noe, daughter of John Noe Senr was presented for "having two bastard Children at one birth information of Wm Compton Constable & Charles Musgrave." She confessed and named Thomas Burch as the father. Burch paid her fine (30 shillings). Later she & Thomas were fined 20 lbs each & Thomas an additional 600 lbs tobacco & 30 "Swites" [Ref: J. Michael Poston].
+ 19. i Jeremiah Poston #24186 b. Aug 26,1745.
+ 20. ii Elias Poston #31508 b. Nov 14,1747.
21. iii Alexander Poston #31509, b. Mar 21,1750, d. cir 1775 in Trinity Parish, Charles County, Maryland.3
+ 22. iv Richard Poston #22656 b. Sep 24,1752.
+ 23. v Catherine Poston #31510 b. Jun 23,1755.
+ 24. vi Judith Poston #31511 b. Jan 15,1758.
+ 25. vii Anne/Anna Poston #31512 b. Oct 6,1760.
+ 26. viii William Poston #22665 b. Oct 6,1760.
6. Edward Poston #31502, b. aft 1721-30 in Virginia,3 County of: Charles. Edward Poston: #31502
22 Sep 1790: Charles County, Maryland: Will of an Edward Poston dated; proved 30 Jul 1791; names daughters: Tabitha, Mary Anne, Susanna; Sons: Soloman, Benjamin, Bartholomew; Grandsons, Soloman & Edward. [WB 11:39].
He married3 Mary ???? (Poston) #41910.
27. i Tabitha Poston #41911.
28. ii Mary Anne Poston #41912.
29. iii Susann Poston #41913.
+ 30. iv Solomon Poston #41914.
+ 31. v Benjamin Poston #41915.
32. vi Bartholomew Poston #41916.
12. John Poston #41899, b. cir 1761,5 d. 1819 in Lincoln County, North Carolina.3 John Poston was a veteran of the Revolutionary War.
He married Rebecca Baldridge #41900, married 1782.3
33. i Peggy Poston #41917, b. 1782.3
34. ii Rebecca Poston #41918, b. 1783.3
35. iii Jenny Poston #41919, b. 1785.3
36. iv Elizabeth Poston #41920, b. 1787.3
37. v Sally Poston #41921, b. 1788.3
38. vi Robert Poston #41922, b. 1789.3
39. vii Polly Poston #41923, b. 1789.3
40. viii John A.B. Poston #41924, b. 1794.3
41. ix Nancy Poston #41925, b. 1797.3
42. x Cindy Poston #41926, b. 1807.3
43. xi William Poston #41927, b. 1809.3
14. Samuel Poston #41904, b. cir 1769,5 d. 1847.3
He married Rachel King #41905, married Jan 12,1790 in Lincoln County, North Carolina.3
44. i William Poston #41928.
45. ii John Poston #41929.
16. Samuel Poston #41907, b. cir 1745 in Maryland,3 County of: Charles.
He married3 Jane ???? (Poston) #41930.
46. i Christian Gibbons Poston #41931, b. in Maryland, County of: Prince George's.
She married Michael Lovejoy #41938, married Oct 1,1788 in Prince George's County, Maryland.3
47. ii William Poston #41932, b. 1772 in Maryland, County of: Prince George's.
He married Elizabeth Gardiner #41939, married Dec 25,1797 in Prince George's County, Maryland.3
48. iii John Stone Poston #41933, b. in Maryland, County of: Prince George's.
He married Susanah Mayhew #41940, married Dec 24,1787 in Prince George's County, Maryland.3
49. iv Francis Poston #41934.
50. v Samuel Rencher Poston #41935.
51. vi Sarah Poston #41936.
She married Michael Garner #41941, married Dec 19,1787 in Prince George's County, Maryland.3
52. vii Thomas Sasser Poston #41937.
17. Francis Poston #41908, b. cir 1745 in Maryland,3 County of: Charles.
+ 53. i James W. Poston #41942 b. 1762.
54. ii Leonard Poston #41943, b. cir 1764,3 d. 1802 in Loudoun County, Virginia.3
He married Ann Waters #41944, married 1786.3
55. iii Francis Poston #41945, b. cir 1766.3
56. iv John Poston #41946, b. cir 1769.3
57. v Joseph Poston #41947, b. cir 1773.3
He married Elizabeth France #41948, married Jun 9,1800 in Loudoun County, Virginia.3
58. vi Wesley Poston #41949, b. cir 1776.3
59. vii William Poston #41950, b. cir 1779.3
18. Elijah Poston #41909, b. 1749 in Maryland,3 County of: Prince George's,3 d. 1811 in Bourbon County, Kentucky.3 moved to Bourbon County, Kentucky where he lived in a dwelling formerly occupied by Daniel Boone. [J. Michael Poston].
He married Susannah Barker #41951, married abt 1769 in Prince George's County, Maryland,3 b. cir 1751.3
60. i John Poston #41952, b. Nov 29,1770,3 d. Sep 9,1833.3
He married Nancy ???? (Poston) #41953, married bef 1793 in Bourbon County, Kentucky.3
61. ii Samuel Poston #41954, b. 1773,3 d. 1822 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.3
He married Jemimah Hunter #41955, married 1805 in Bourbon County, Kentucky.3
62. iii Nancy Poston #41956, b. 1778.3
She married Enoch Smith Jr. #41957, married 1797.3
63. iv William Poston #41958, b. Apr 25,1778,3 d. Nov 14,1833 in Winchester, Clark County, Kentucky.3
He married Pamela Gaskil #41959, married Mar 19,1809 in Clark County, Kentucky.3
64. v Sally Poston #41960, b. 1782,3 d. 1831.3
She married Patrick Scott #41961, married in Middletown, Bourbon County, Kentucky.3
65. vi Elias B. Poston #41962, b. Sep 18,1786 in Boone Station, Kentucky.3 [Descendants of Elias B. Poston are presented in the published works of: "Elias B. Poston"; Olan James & Glenna James Musgrove (c1942) and "Those Who Have Gone Before, Legends from a family tree, John M. Logan (1830-1907) Mary (Poston) Logan (1832-1883) their ancestors and descendants"; Mirian Halbert Bales, Mincie Indiana, (1976). Elias moved to Ruch County, Indiana where he served as a lawyer, judge, doctor and Primitive Baptist preacher.
He married (1) Nancy Norton #41963, married Apr 2,1807.3
66. vii Temple Poston #41965, b. 1788,3 d. 1864.3 (Grandfather of Charles Debrille Poston, first Territorial Delegate to Congress from Arizona. [J. Michael Poston]).
He married3 Judith Dubril #41966.
67. viii James B. Poston #41967, b. 1790.3
He married3 Elizabeth ???? (Poston) #41974.
68. ix Jonathan Poston #41968, b. 1794,3 d. 1833 in Jefferson County, Indiana.3
He married Kitty Warren #41973, married Jul 15,1815 in Clark County, Kentucky.3
69. x Levi Poston #41969.
He married3 Nancy Hicklin #41972.
70. xi Sanford Poston #41970.
He married Martha Ann Reynolds #41971, married 1836.3
19. Jeremiah Poston #24186, b. Aug 26,1745 in Trinity Parish, Maryland, County of: Charles, d. cir 1795 in Caswell County, North Carolina. Jeremiah Poston: #24186
08 Jan 1774: Charles County, Maryland: William Poston signed his will (this date) "William (his mark) Poston with John Sothoron, James Waters and W. Waters, his witnesses who gave Oath 29 May 1777. Therein he mentiones his wife Priscilla, son, Jeremiah, "living in North Carolina could not have notice to be present..." [Information from "Some Early Poston Notes; Charles County, MD; Thomas Jack Hockett, (draft of 20 Feb 1996]
16 Aug 1778 - Caswell County, Virginia - Jere Poston was witness to will of John Johnston. (Johnston's) will names; wife, Mary; son, Daniel; daughters, Isabella w/o James Walker, Rachel, w/o Joseph Walker, Jane w/o James Christie; sons, William & James. Exec: son James and friend, John Robertson Wit: Jere Poston, John Walker, John Herron [WB A/140][Ref: Caswell County, North Carolina Will Books 1777-1814; Kendall and Donaldson, p7]
09 Sep 1779 - Caswell County, North Carolina - Jere Poston, Henry Cobb, Has. Taylor are witness to will of Mathwew Jouette of Sy. David's Dist.; wife, Sarah; children, John, Susannah, Nancy, Mathew, Polly, Thomas, Betsy, Washington. Exec: wife and Thomas Brooks, Absalom Tatom, Richard Moore. [WB A/80][Ref: Caswell County, North Carolina Will Books,1777-1814; Kendall & Donaldson, p4]
18 Aug 1787 - Caswell County, North Carolina - Grants from State of North Carolina: to Jere Poston 73 acres on County Line & Hogan's Creek adj. Poston's old line, Thomas Rice, crossing the Great Road, George Foote, the Guilford Co. line. [DB D/342][Ref: Caswell County, North Carolina Deed Books 1777-1817; Kendall, p85].
01 Sep 1790 - Caswell County, North Carolina - Jere Poston, John Williams and D. Williams are witness to deed of John Jouette of Orange County, North Carolina to John Lenox of Caswell Co., for ïƒ‰25... 25 a. on Horseley's Creek of County Line Creek, beginning at Hart's old store, Brown's field, being part of a legacy allotted him of his father's estate [DB G/90][Ref: Caswell County, North Carolina Deed Books, 1777-1817; Katherine Kerr Kendall, p122]
25 Sep 1790 - Caswell County, North Carolina - Jere. Poston, Armisted Rogers, Joshua Boyd are witnesses to a deed from Matthew Jouette of Caswell County to John Lenox for ïƒ‰100... 267 a. on Horseley's Cr., a branch of County Line Creek, adj. the Chappel Tract, Cobbs's old line, being land alloted to Matthew Jouett by commrs. appointed to divide estate of Matthew Jouett, deceased, agreeable to his will. [DB G/95][Ref: Caswell County, North Carolina Deed Books, 1777-1817; Katherine Kerr Kendall, p123]
15/16 Nov 1793 - Caswell County, North Carolina - Jerre Poston appears as a buyer at the estate sale of Waddy Tate.[WB C/64] [Ref: Caswell County, North Carolina Will Books 1777-1814; Kendall and Donaldson, p44]
__ Apr 1794: Caswell County, North Carolina: Joseph Dameron, in account with the estate of Robert Burton: Payments to; William Dix, John Douglass, Spil Coleman, B. Ridley, Jerre Poston, Jesse Carter, C. Dixon for taxes, John Graves, Robert King, George Davis. [WB C/80][Ref: Caswell County, North Carolina Will Books 1777-1814; Kendall and Donaldson, p44].
01 Feb 1795 - Caswell County, North Carolina - Will of Jeremiah Poston dated and names: Wife, Elizabeth; land in Caswell & Rockingham Counties, adjacent Nath. Williams; rest of estate in North Carolina and in the State of Maryland to children: Priscilla Dickens; William; Katy; Besty; Henry; Polly; Anna; Richard; Francis; and an Unborn child. Executors: wife: son, William when he arrives of age; friend, John Coates Cox. Wit: Jno. C. Cox, Wm. H. Rice [WB C/114][Ref: Caswell County NC Will Books 1777-1814; Kendall & Donaldson, p48].
__ ___ 1807 - Caswell County, North Carolina - Estate of Jeremiah Poston in account with John C. Cox, exec,; Sale of land on Stoney Creek to John Windsor, also in Rockingham. [WB E/304][Ref: Caswell County NC Will Books 1777-1814; Kendall & Donaldson, p105].
He married Elizabeth Warson #24187, married May 3,1779 in Caswell County, North Carolina,7 d. 1803 in Caswell County, North Carolina.
Elizabeth: Elizabeth Warson: #24187
01 Jun 1803 - Caswell County, North Carolina - Will of Elizabeth Poston dated and states: Land to be divided between all children; household goods to children as they come of age as follows: William Poston, Caty Poston, Elizabeth Smith, Henry Poston, Polly Poston, Anny Poston, Richard Poston, Franky Poston, Jeremiah Poston. Executors: son, William Poston and son in law, William Smith. Wit: Simon Carlie, Wm. H. Rice. [WB E/26][Ref: Caswell County, NC Will Books 1777-1819; Kendall & Donaldson, p89].
71. i Priscilla Poston #24188, b. in North Carolina, County of: Caswell.
She married William Dickins #24198, married May 6,1794 in Caswell County, North Carolina.
72. ii William Poston #24189, b. Oct 3,1779 in North Carolina,3 County of: Caswell, d. May 16,1852.3 William Poston: #24189
__ Jan 1801(?) - Caswell County, North Carolina - Estate sale of Thomas Hornbuckle, dec'd: purchases by; ...Ann Simpson, Archibald Hart, Samuel Boman, John Goodlow, John Royall, ...William Poston, ...James Simpson, ..Jere Jackson, (et al.) [WB D/141] [Ref: Caswell County, North Carolina Will Books 1777-1814; Kendall and Donaldson, p83].
He married Eda (Edy) Tate #24199, married Jan 29,1803 in Caswell County, North Carolina.
73. iii Catherine (Kathy) Poston #24190.
74. iv Elizabeth (Betsy) Poston #24191, b. Jan 17,1782 in North Carolina,3 County of: Caswell, d. May 9,1857.3
She married William Wesley Smith #24200, married Jun 20/28,1800 in Caswell County, North Carolina.
75. v Henry Poston #24192, b. 1786,3 d. 1840.3
He married3 Nancy Johnson #41975.
76. vi Polly Poston #24193.
77. vii Anna Poston #24194.
She married Isaac Baker #41976.
78. viii Richard Cavonet Poston #24195.
He married Martha A. Hill #41977, married Jan 22,1835 in Maryland.3
79. ix Francis (Franky) Poston #24196.
80. x Jeremiah Poston Jr. #24197.
He married3 Elizabeth Baker #41978.
20. Elias Poston #31508, b. Nov 14,1747 in Trinity Parish, Maryland,1 Occupation: surveyor in Hampshire County, Virginia (now WV), d. Aug/Sep 1802 in Hampshire County, Virginia (now WV).3 (a.k.a.: Col. Elias Poston); elected to Virginia legislature in 1780s; census enumerator for 1782, 1784 & 1790; Sheriff of Hampshire County.
He married8 Rebecca Cheshire #41896, (daughter of Samuel Cheshire #43754 and Ann Robins #43755) d. 1832 in Athens County, Ohio.3
+ 81. i Samuel Poston #41979 b. Jun 5,1775.
82. ii Catherine Poston #41980, b. Jan 14,1777 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire, d. Mar 16,1845 in Rosefield Twp., Peoria County, Illinois.3
She married George Nixon #41984, married Jan 17,1795 in Frederick County, Virginia.3
83. iii Delilah Poston #41981, b. 1783 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire, d. Mar 31,1850 in Peoria County, Illinois.3
She married Benjamin Slane #41985, married Nov 8,1801 in Hampshire County, Virginia3
84. iv William Poston #41982, b. 1784 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire.
He married3 Mary (Polly) ???? (Poston) #41986.
85. v Alexander Poston #41987, b. 1785 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire, d. Feb 18,1852 in Chillocothe, Wapello County, Iowa.3 (Alexander Poston is stated to be father of 20 children. [J. Michael Poston].
He married3 (1) Martha Green #41988.
He married3 (2) Nancy Green Stephenson #41989.
He married3 (3) Malinda Poston #41990, b. 1801-03 in Virginia,3 (daughter of Samuel Poston #41979 and Jane (Jenny) Slane #41983) County of: Hampshire.
86. vi Elias Poston #41992, b. May 7,1787 in Virginia,3 County of: Veteran/Capt in War of 1812, County of: Hampshire, d. Sep 30,1866 in Moline, Illinois.3
He married3 Harriett ???? (Poston) #43757.
87. vii Richard Poston #41993, b. 1790 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire, d. 1863 in Canaan Twp., Athens County, Ohio.3
He married (1) Elizabeth Thompson #42006, married 1812 in Hampshire County, Virginia3
He married (2) Mary Cool #42007, married cir 1830 in Hampshire County, Virginia3
He married (3) Melinda Bramel Murphy #42008, married cir 1839 in Athens County, Ohio.3
88. viii Nancy Poston #41991, b. 1794,3 d. Jun 13,1840 in Delaware County, Ohio.3
She married3 Elias Slane #42009, (son of John Slane #43758 and Phoebe Hiett #43759).
89. ix Mary (Polly) Poston #41994.
She married3 (1) James Pugh #42004.
She married3 (2) John Tyson #42005.
90. x Rebecca Poston #41995, b. 1796,3 d. 1869.3
She married3 Hiram Rogers #42003.
Hiram: of Bloomery, Hampshire County, Virginia; moved to Ohio.
91. xi John Poston #41996, b. 1800.3
He married (1) Isabella McVicker #41999, married Jan 31,1825 in Athens County, Ohio.3
He married (2) Polly Herrold #42000, married Mar 9,1837 in Athens County, Ohio.3
He married (3) Sarah Dew #42001, married Apr 1,1842 in Athens County, Ohio.3
He married (4) Elizabeth Noyce #42002, married Nov 18,1852 in Athens County, Ohio.3
92. xii Ashford Poston #41997, b. 1802 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire, d. May 18,1879 in Adrian County, Missouri.3
He married Mary McVicker #41998, married Nov 19,1827 in Hampshire County, Virginia3
22. Richard Poston #22656, b. Sep 24,1752 in Trinity Parish, Charles County, Maryland,6 Buried: Trinity Parish, Charles County, Maryland, d. 1809 in Washington County, Virginia.8 Richard Poston: #22656
(The following applies to a Richard Poston of Washington County, Virginia and is thought to be the subject):
13 Jan 1774: Charles County, Maryland: "John Stewart sold to a Richard Poston for 106:2:4 lbs. "all that parcel of land where his dwelling plantation is, being part of a tract of land in Charles Co, & called Poverty, ..82.33 acres; Sig: John (his mark) Briscoe; Wit: Philip Briscoe & Samuel Briscoe; Recorded 19 Nov 1774. It was likely about that time that Richard Poston became a land agent for the Craik family of Alexandria, VA and made his first forays into SW VA."["Some Early Poston Notes"; Thomas Jack Hockett, draft of 20 Feb 1996]
21 Apr 1785 - Washington County, Virginia - Recommended Captain in Washington County Militia.
19 Feb 1793 - Washington County, Virginia - Recommended Captain 1st Batt., 70th Reg.
20 Jun 1793 - Washington County, Virginia - Recommended Captain, 3rd Company, 1st Batt., 70th Regiment.
19 Jun 1794 - Washington County, Virginia - Resigned and replaced as Captain by John Campbell. [Ref: (all) The Militia of Washington County]
__ Sep 1795: : Washington County, Virginia: Richard Poston & Anne, his wife to William Poston, 150 pounds ...135 acres on north side of North Fork of Holston River. [DB 1:430]
Richard Poston was stated to have been employed to settle land disputes along the Kanawha River by a "land holders of Alexandria, Virginia". ["The Poston Family of Charles County, Maryland"; Mrs. Nettie Leitch Major].
"Richard (Poston) Sr., had worked in western Virginia along the Kanawha River managing land for investors from Alexandria, Virginia, but Indian raids and disruptions caused the project to be abandoned. Later Richard moved to southern Virginia and settled in Washington County (in that part now Smyth County). Richard Sr, died 1809." [J. Michael Poston].
He married (1) Anne Campbell #22662, (daughter of Charles Campbell #22663 and Margaret Buchanan #22664).
+ 93. i Richard Poston #22709 b. bef 1784.
94. ii Ann M. (Annie) Poston #19159. Washington County Virginia Marriages, Ministers' Returns 1776-1855; Hiatt & Scott, (Iberian Publishing) 1994, p91; incorrectly lists Annie "Caston" & "Nocholas Reagan"; m. 09 Jul 1807 by William Brundige.
p. 104: MATTHIAS SMITH & MARY, wife reserve for themselves during both their natural lives & at decease of eitherâ€¦ sd. TRENBARGER to have possession of all above exception, except their bed room in the houseâ€¦ MATTHIAS & MARY are not at liberty to keep any person or persons in the house except one (who) may be required to nurse. â€¦/s/ MATTHIAS SMITH. /w/ SAML. GOODSON; HENRY (his mark) MUMPOWER; JOHN GOODSON; JOSEPH GRAY. At court held, 16 Apr 1823, indenture proved in court by oath of JOHN GOODSON & SAMUEL E. GOODSONâ€¦ & at court, 17 Jun 1823, further proved by oath of JOSEPH GRAYâ€¦ & ordered to be recordedâ€¦/// Indenture, 26 May 1823: NICHOLAS REAGAN & ANN, wife, Fayett Co. Indianna (IN) to H. D. POSTON, WCV, $300, sell, all right, title & interest & claim they the sd. NICHOLAS REAGAN & ANN, wife, here the sd. ANN REAGAN being the daughter & heir of RICHARD POSTON Senr. decd., 1/8th part of land in WCV on both sides of NFHR, 300 acres, being land convey(ed) by CHARLES CAMPBELLâ€™s will to his daughter, ANN POSTON & land formerly occupied by RICHARD POSTON decd. & bounded as pr. copy of patent now lodged in clerkâ€™s office of WCVâ€¦
p. 105: â€¦/s/ NICHOLAS REAGAN; ANN M. REAGAN. /w/ MOSES FAY; FIELDING HAZLERIGG. Fayette Co., State of Indianna (IN). Personal appearance for deed acknowledgement before MOSES FAY & FIELDING HAZLERIGG, justices for Fayette Co. IN, 26 May 1823â€¦ acknowledgement to be certified to clerk of WCV for recordingâ€¦ Fayett Co. IN: Privy examination of ANN REAGAN, wife of NICHOLAS REAGAN before MOSES FAY & FIELDING HAZLERIGG, justices for Fayette Co. INâ€¦ she had willingly signedâ€¦ State of IN, Fayette Co. Certification of JOHNATHAN McCARTY, clerk of Fayette Circuit Court, that MOSES FAY & FIELDING HAZLERIGG who received acknowledgement of NICHOLAS REAGAN & wifeâ€¦ still are acting justices of peace for Fayette Co., duly commissioned & swornâ€¦ credit are dueâ€¦ to all their official actsâ€¦ 25 Jay A.D. 1823. State of IN, Fayette Co. We EDWARD WEBB & WILLIAM HELIN, 2 associate
p. 106: Judges of Fayette Circuit Courtâ€¦ certify JOHNATHAN McCARTY Esq. is acting Clerk of Fayette Circuit Courtâ€¦ his certificate & attestation is made in due formâ€¦ 29 May 1823â€¦ At court for WCV, 17 Jun 1823, indenture & certificates of acknowledgement & authentication thereof ordered to be recordedâ€¦/// [WCV DB 10].
She married Nicholas Reagan Jr. #19158, married Jul 9,1807 in Washington County, Virginia,9 (son of Nicholas Reagan #13282).
Nicholas: Nicholas Reagan Jr.: #19158
14 Sep 1829 - Washington County, Virginia - Indenture between Nicholas Regan of Fayette Co., Indiana and Wilson Buch*, his interest in estate of father, Nicholas Reagan, Washington County, waters North Fork of Holston River adj. land formerly owned and occupied by Robert Worsham on the west, William Willson on the east and Walker's Mountain on the south, Chestnut Ridge on the north.. Sig: Nicholas Reagan, Ann M. Reagan Recorded: 15 Dec 1829
[DB 10:182-183,164] [Ref: Hockett abstract].
*: possibly Wilson Buch(anan).
+ 95. iii Catherine (Kitty) Poston #22755.
96. iv Alexander B. Poston #22756, b. cir 1780.6 Recommended Lieut. in 70th. Regiment of Washington County Militia on 16 May 1820.[Index of Militia Officers, 1777-1835].
+ 97. v Hatch Dent Poston #22757 b. cir 1796.
98. vi Mary (Polly) Poston #22783, b. cir 1782-85.6 Polly Poston and Benjamin Cawood were married by min. Nicholas Reagan.
She married Benjamin Caywood/Cawood #20770, married Aug 31,1801 in Washington County, Virginia,9 (son of Stephen Caywood/Cawood #14564 and Esther Berry #14569).
99. vii Lucy Poston #22784.
100. viii Elizabeth Poston #22785.
She married John M. Tate #22786, married cir 1794.6
John: John Tate: #22786
24 Sep 1836 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between John M. Tate and Jane his wife of Smyth County and Iezreel Grossclose of Wythe County ...$800 ...land in Smyth County ...waters of north fork of Holston ...80 acres m/l ...adjoining Thomas Leonidus and John B. Tate being the same that was conveyed by Charles Tate to the said John M. Tate ...bounded ...river edge by the waggon ford ...sugartree near the wagon road ...side of a ridge in sight of the long hollow ...eastern edge of the old waggon road and above the mill ...orchard fence... Recorded: 20 Jun 1837 [DB 2/101-2].
He married (2) Isabella Whitley/Whiteley #22710, married Apr 18,1805 in Washington County, Virginia,9 b. 1765/75,6 (daughter of Robert Whitley/Whiteley #44596 and Catherine ???? (Whitley/Whiteley) #44597).
Isabella: Isabella Whitley: #22710
18 Apr 1805: Washington County, Virginia: Isabella Whiteley and Richard Poston were married by min. William Wilson.
__ ___ 1810 - Washington County, Virginia - Census: Isabella Poston head of household: 2 males under 10; 1 male 10-16; 1 male 16-26; 1 female 26-45.
__ ___ 1820 - Washington County, Virginia - Census: Isabella Poston head of household: 2 males 10-16; 1 female 45+.
+ 101. ix Isaac Poston #22711 b. 1795.
+ 102. x Elias Poston #22740 b. cir 1809.
23. Catherine Poston #31510, b. Jun 23,1755 in Trinity Parish, Maryland,1 County of: Charles, d. Apr 6,1772-3 in Trinity Parish, Charles County, Maryland.3
She married Hezekial Dent #31515, married Nov 19,1769 in Charles County, Maryland,10 b. cir 1747,3 (son of Hatch Dent #42011 and Ann ???? (Dent) #42012).
103. i Alexander Poston Dent #42010, b. Mar 22,1772-3 in Trinity Parish, Maryland,3 County of: Charles, d. aft 1777.3 died young.
24. Judith Poston #31511, b. Jan 15,1758,1 d. 1815 in Trinity Parish, Charles County, Maryland.3
She married Hatch Dent #31513, married Dec 17,1778,1 (son of Hatch Dent #42011 and Ann ???? (Dent) #42012), d. cir 1800 in Trinity Parish, Charles County, Maryland.3
Hatch: Purchased "Goodwill Enlarged" in 1797. This land belonged to wife, Judith's, parents through various land transactions in Charles County, Maryland. Originally "Goodwill", with additional adjacent land added by father-in-law, William Poston in his lifetime and additional land added after his death by Judith's mother, Priscilla (Noe) Poston. (This land, at present is stated to be a housing development near Hughesville, Maryland)[Ref: J. Michael Poston].
104. i Lucinda Dent #42013, b. Jan 22,1780 in Trinity Parish, Maryland,3 County of: Charles.
105. ii Priscilla Anne Dent #42014, b. 1781 in Trinity Parish, Maryland,3 County of: Charles.
She married3 William Good #42021.
106. iii Mary Dent #42015, b. 1782,3 d. 1811.3
107. iv William Hatch Dent #42016, b. in Trinity Parish, Maryland, County of: Charles.
He married3 Katharine Brawner #42020.
108. v Catherine Amelia Judith Dent #42017, b. in Trinity Parish, Maryland, County of: Charles.
109. vi Julianna Chapman Dent #42018, b. in Trinity Parish, Maryland, County of: Charles.
She married3 Nathan Smoot Dent #42019.
25. Anne/Anna Poston #31512, b. Oct 6,1760 in Trinity Parish, Maryland,1 County of: Charles, d. bef Jun 1825 in Charles County, Maryland. Anne/Anna Poston: #31512
18 Dec 1824 - Charles County, Maryland - Will of Ann Poston Matthews dated: to daughters; Catherine Hebb and Elizabeth Matthews,... negroes. To sons, Elias Poston Matthews and Henry C. Matthews, ...negroes. $1000 each to sons; John Matthews, Elias Poston Matthews, Henry C. Matthews, Henry C. Matthews; daughters; Catherine Hebb, and Elizabeth Matthews. items of personal property to grandsons, John Matthews and Thomas Henry Matthews and granddaughter, Emily Matthews. She had previously given negroes to son, William Matthews. Executors; sons, William and Alexander Matthews. ["The Poston Family of Charles County, Maryland"; Mrs. Nettie Leitch Major].
She married Thomas Matthews #31514, married Dec 24,1780 in Trinity Parish, Charles County, Maryland,1 d. Dec 25 1796 in Charles County, Maryland.3
110. i William (Billy) Matthews #42022, b. Dec 2,1781 in Trinity Parish, Maryland,3 County of: Charles.
111. ii John Matthews #42023, b. Dec 14,1783 in Trinity Parish, Maryland,3 County of: Charles.
112. iii Catherine Matthews #42024, b. Nov 19,1785 in Trinity Parish, Maryland,3 County of: Charles.
113. iv Alexander Matthews #42025, b. Apr 25,1788 in Trinity Parish, Maryland,3 County of: Charles.
114. v Elizabeth Matthews #42026, b. 1790 in Trinity Parish, Maryland,3 County of: Charles.
115. vi Thomas Matthews #42027, b. Nov 1,1792 in Trinity Parish, Maryland,3 County of: Charles.
116. vii Elias Poston Matthews #42028, b. Feb 3,1795 in Trinity Parish, Maryland,3 County of: Charles.
26. William Poston #22665, b. Oct 6,1760 in Maryland,1 County of: Charles,6 d. Apr 1823 in Brown's Creek, Smyth County, Virginia,3 buried in Poston Cemetery. A twin. Removed from Maryland to area of Washington County, Virginia in 1794. [Ref: History of Smyth County]. (Descendants of William & Sarah (Hamill) Poston are recorded in: "John Hamill Poston, a Poston Genealogy; Joseph Colin James, privately published 1959 with and update due 1996) [See also the indenture of Sep 1795 from Richard & Anne Poston for 135 acres on North Fork of Holston River. [Washington Co DB 1:430].
He married Sarah Hamill #22666, married bef Aug 27,1783 in Charles County, Maryland,1 b. 1767,6 (daughter of Stephen Hamill #29891 and Asenath ???? (Wilder ?) #31516) d. Apr 11,1841,11 buried in Poston Cemetery.
Sarah: Sarah Hamill Poston: #22666
11 Mar 1833 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between Harrold Smyth, Marshall late Wythe Chancery District for the District of Wythe County the one part and Thomas Tate of Smyth County, other part ...said Harold Smith, Marshall for ...$3 ...and further consideration that as there was a suit apending in the said superior Court of Chancery held at Wythe County Courthouse ...wherein Sarah Poston, the widow and heirs of William Poston, deceased, were plaintiffs and the heirs* of John Lammie, deceased were defendants and wherein deciasea and orders were made on the 28 May 1829 and 28 May 182?, wherein it was directed that the Marshall sell the land included within the limits and boundaries of the patent (A) let out in the complainants bill on the premesis which sale as directed was made on the 13 Mar 1830 on a credit of twelve months when the aforesaid Thomas Tate become the purchaser for the sum of four hundred and sixty dollars & executed his bond & whereas the said sale was at a subsequent term to wit on the 28 Oct 1830 affirmed and the Marshall appointed a commissioner for the purpose ordered to collect the money when due and upon collecting the money he was directed to convey to the purchaser, Thomas Tate, all right, title ...of the complainants, the widow & heirs of Wm. Poston & of defendants, the heirs of John Lemmie in the said lands ...299 acres ...in Washington, now Smyth County on the North side of the North Fork Holston River.... Recorded: 18 Jul 1833 [DB 1:111-112]
(*Note: Heirs of a John Lamie were: Eleanor Lamie; William Cox and Hannah, wife; Alexander Buchanan and Jane, his wife; George Buchanan and Agnes, his wife; all of Smyth County, Virginia in 02 Sep 1834. [Ref: DB 1:229-230 Smyth Co., Virginia]
10 Mar 1834 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between Sarah Poston of the county of Smyth ...and Theodore G. Pearsons ...of the same county ...$50 ...sells to said Theadore G. Pearsons all the interest which she has in and to ...land in Smyth County ...on the north fork of Holston River at the mouth of Browns Creek containing 133 acres ...being tract on which William Poston lived at the time of his decease. The said interest of the said Sarah Poston consisting of the one tenth part of said tract conveyed to her from John Poston by deed of gift bearing date the 31 Jul 1833 duly recorded in the Clerk's office of the County Court of Smyth the said John Poston being one of the heirs & destributes of the said William Poston, deceased ...Sig: Sarah Poston.
10 Mar 1834 Sarah Poston examined by Isaac Spratt & A.M. Bowen Recorded: 24 Apr 1834 [DB 1/168-9]
(Note: Sarah Hamill and William Poston lived at "Hilltop" until 1794. "Hilltop" was the farm she inherited from her father, Steven Hamill, and was located in St.Mary's County, Maryland)["The Poston Family of Charles County, Maryland"; Mrs. Nettie Leitch Major].
+ 117. i Rachel Noe Poston #22667.
118. ii John Hammill Poston #22668, b. Apr 15,1786 in Maryland,6 County of: Charles,6 d. Oct 2,1848 in Clarksville, Tennessee.3 John Hamil Poston: #22668
31 Jul 1833 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between John H. Poston of Clarksville, Tennessee and Sarah Poston of Smyth County late of Washington County... Witness that I John H. Poston for and in consideration of the Natural love and affection I bear to my mother, the said Sarah Poston... $1 ...sells all interest in the Estate of my father William Preston(sic) of said county of Smyth late of county of Washington, aforesaid either as one of the heirs at law or legatee under the will of my said Father, wheather real, personal or mixed... Sig: John H. Poston (Andrew Vance, Clerk of County Court of Pleas, Montgomery Co., Tennessee verified the above and states; "I am personaly acquainted with John H. Poston") Recorded: 24 Oct 1833 [DB1/105].
He married Nancy Lowthing Nelson #22679, married Mar 13,1808.3
119. iii Richard Poston #22670. Richard Poston: #22670
01 Jul 1834 - Smyth County, Virginia - (Power of Attorney) ...we Richard Poston and Malinda W. Poston do hereby nominate and approve Sarah H. Poston our lawful attorney to sign a Deed in our name to convey to Theoador G. Pearson all our right, title and interest in ...tract of land ...on which William Poston formerly lived bounded by H.D. Poston, Peter Scott and the heirs of William Crabtree... between one & two hundred acres - lying on the waters North Fork Holston River in Smyth County, Virginia ...given under our hands and seals in Cudy Trigg County Kentucky this 1st Day of Jul.. 1834 Sig: Richard Poston, Malinda Poston Wit: William Scott, A.M. Bowen Recorded: 19 Jul 1836 [DB 1/507-8]
He married Malinda W. ???? (Poston) #22897.
+ 120. iv Sarah Chandler (Sally) Poston #22671 b. May 7,1792.
+ 121. v Asenath Wilder Poston #22672 b. Mar 14,1794.
122. vi Priscilla Calvinet Poston #22673, b. Mar 14,1794 in Maryland,6 County of: Charles,12 d. Feb 23,1876 in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Virginia,12 buried in Poston Cemetery. Priscilla Poston: #22673
Priscilla was a Twin. (See Deed of Trust between Isaac Gannaway and Mitchell Scott, guardian of Pricilla).
26 Aug 1837 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between Priscilla C. Gannaway of the first part, Robert Thurman of the second part and Mitchell Scott of the third part all of Smyth County... Whereas a marriage is shortly intended to be had and solemnized between the said Robert Thurman and Priscilla C. Gannaway... Priscilla ...is ...entitled to real and personal property of considerable value, consisting of two tracts of land in County of Breckenridge in State of Kentucky, one containing 216 acres and ...other 100 acres; also following slaves, viz; Jim, Flora, Daphna, Betsey, Anthony, Washington and Stephen also a number of debts, legacies and unsettled interest in her father's estate and money also stock of various kinds; and a variety of household and kitchen furniture and plantation utensils; and whereas the increase of female slaves and the increase of all stock, including all the property of every description which the said Priscilla C. Gannaway now owns... or may in any way hereafter accrue...by purchase, gifts, descent or otherwise shall be vested in a trustee to be held by him for purpose hereinafter mentioned ...now this indenture... said Priscilla for $5 in hand... to said Mitchell Scott ...with the consent ...of said Robert Thurman ....conveyes to said Mitchell Scott ...(all above named property) ...in trust ...for said Priscilla ...until the soleminization of the said intended marriage then upon futher trust... trustee to hold all of said rest & the increase and proceeds and profits thereof... from any and all libility to or for any debts... of the said Robert Thurman ...trustees ...will premit said Priscilla ...during the joint lives of herself and said Thurman ...to take all proceeds ...of said property... to be enjoyed by Priscilla.. at her discretion, entirely free from any and all martial rights of... Robert Thurman and free from any and all debts of said Robert Thurman ...if Robert ..survives ...Priscilla... trustees ...pay (to Robert) so much as shall be sufficient for the support of the said Thurman and for support and education of the issue of the said marriage... if Priscilla survives Robert ...(all above null and void)... Recorded: 26 Aug 1837 [DB 2/12-14].
Marriage register states: Priscilla C. Ganaway married Robert Thurman on 06
Sep 1837 on a bond of same date. Priscilla and Robert Thurman were married by David Fleming. [Smyth Marriage Register; p 8a].
Death register states: P.C. Thurman died at age 83 of "Old Age" in Rich
Valley; d/o Wm. & Sarah Poston; born Charles County, Md.; consort of Robert
Thurman; reported by W.P.M. Scott, relation. [Ref: Smyth County, Virginia: Register of Deaths; Book 1; p46; Ln32].
She married (1) Isaac Gannaway #22689, married bef Oct 22,1833,6 d. aft Oct 22,1833.
She married (2) Robert Thurman #22690, married Sep 6,1837 in Smyth County, Virginia,13 County of: Doctor in Marion, Smyth County, Virginia.
Robert: Re: Robert Thurman: #22690
09 May 1834 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between James L. Schoolfield
of Smyth County and Henry Schoolfield of the Town of Lynchburg
and Robert Thurman of Smyth County... parties heretoforesaid to
wit on 10 Feb 1834 .... entered into copartnership to rend
goods, wares and merchandise and to purchase and sell such stock
..... said parties did also .... agree and enter into a
copartnership for the practise of medicine... both
(partnerships) to constitute one firm .. Style of James L.
Schoolfield & Co......... The said Robert Thurman being a
practiceing physician at Smyth Courthouse...... said Robert
Thurman is justly indebeted to the said James L. and Henry
Schoolfield acting executors of John Schoolfield, deceased, and
John Thurman and Nathanial B. Therman for sum $800 with interest
from 10 Aug 1819... said Robert Thurman being desirous to secure
the payment of said debt hereby agrees that his part of the
profits .... shall be applied to the discharge .... said firm is
to continue ... for ten years from this date.....
Sig: James L. Schoolfield, Robert Thurman.
Recorded: 09 May 1834.
123. vii Judith A. Poston #22669, b. 1796 in North Carolina.14
She married (1) John McHenry #22680.
John: John McHenry: #22680
21 May 1778: Washington County, Virginia: Suit: "John McHenry Vs George Clark T.C.N.G." ["Annals of Southwest Virginia"; Vol II; Summers, p994].
24 Nov 1780: Washington County, Virginia: John McHenry, David Watson, Samuel Evans and Thomas Scott or any three of them being first duly Sworn Appraise the Estate of Thomas McCullock Deceased and makk return to next Court. ["Annals of Southwest Virginia"; Vol II; Summers, p1065].
01 Sep 1781: Washington County, Virginia: John McHenry is grantee of 400 acres on Eleven Mile Creek with actual settlement in 1770.["Annals of Southwest Virginia"; Vol II; Summers, p1231]
23 Aug 1782: Washington County, Virginia: John McHenry served on jury.[ibid., p1112]
06 Jun 1783: Washington County, Virginia: John McHenry is grantee of (another) 400 acres on Eleven Mile Creek.["Annals of Southwest Virginia"; Vol II; Summers, p1231]
16 Dec 1783: Washington County, Virginia: John McHenry, Jas. Glenn, James Logan, George Finley or any three of these being first sworn appraise the estate of William Grier so deceased and make return to the Court. [Minutes of County Court; ibid., p1168] (Note: William & Thomas Grier were executors of the Estate of William Grier; they acknowledged their bond (500 pounds) with David & Gilbert Watson as securities. [ibid., p1168])
28 Apr 1785: Washington County, Virginia: John McHenry is grantee of 190 acres on North Fork of Holston River in Rich Valley.[ibid., p1232]
08 Sep 1789: Washington County, Virginia: Henry Coleman and Mary his wife to John McHenry. 200 pounds acreage not given. [DB 1:131][ibid., p1285]
08 Sep 1789: Washington County, Virginia: John McHenry and Hannah his wife to Charles Thurman. 40 pounds 113 acres on the North Fork of the Holston River. [DB 1:134][ibid., p1285]
12 Sep 1789: Washington County, Virginia: Marriage of John McHenry to Hannah Crabtree is recorded by minister Thomas Woolsey.[Washington County, Virginia Marriages, Minister's Returns 1776-1855; Hiatt & Scott, p78](Note: The previous indenture indicates the marriage bef 08 Sep 1789.]
24 Mar 1793: Washington County, Virginia: John & Hannah McHenry deed to Anna McHenry. $300 acrage not stated on Eleven Mile Creek. [DB 1:289]["Annals..."; Vol II; Summers, p1297]
19 Nov 1794: Washington County, Virginia: a John McHenry appears as co-executor with Margaret McDonald for estate of Charles McDonald probated this date. [WB 2:46]["Annals..."; Vol II; Summers, p1350]
06 Nov 1799: Montgomery County, Virginia: a John McHenry, William Ingram & James Currin qualified as Deputy Sheriffs.["Annals of Southwest Virginia"; Vol I; Summers, p873]
06 Nov 1799: Montgomery County, Virginia: a John McHenry, James Currin and Abram Dyerly appointed Deputies with James Barnett appointed Sheriff.["Annals of Southwest Virginia"; Vol I; Summers, p876]
21 Nov 1806: Washington County, Virginia: Indenture between Jonathan & David McHenry of the one part and William McHenry, other part ...236 acres ...willed to us by our father John McHenry ...78 acres 15.5 poles on waters of North Fork of Holston River east side of Mill Creek.... Wit: John Athey, Samuel Crockett, David B. Alexander Proved: 22 Feb 1809 [DB 4:151].
She married (2) Thomas Strong #22681, married Nov 11,1838 in Scott County, Virginia,15 b. 1778 in North Carolina, (son of James Strong #42029 and Mary ???? (Strong) #42030) County of: Rockingham, d. Jul 10,1858.14
Thomas: Thomas Strong: #22681
__ ___ 1805: moved to Scott County, Virginia [Ref: "Strongs of Virginia Newsletter", Vol. 1 No. 3 Dec 1980; James Rolff
08 Jul 1808 - Russell County, Virginia - Indenture between John McClellan and Ann, wife of Russell County and Thomas Strong and Anne, wife of county and State aforesaid ...$370 ...land in Russell County on North Side of Copper creek and bounded... bank of creek a corner to the tract said McClellan bought of Robert Preston ...dogwood the end of a conditional line made between said McClellan & Strong ...supposed to be 80 acres ...part of Preston's 150 acre tract and part of a 100 acre tract granted to said McClellan as the assignee of Robert Casteel by patent bearing date 12 Dec 1801... Sig: John McClellan, Ann her(+)mark McClellan Wit: Samuel Strong, William (X) Fields, Samuel Casteel Recorded: 08 Sep 1808 [DB 4:200-201]
02 Dec 1808 - Russell County, Virginia - Thomas Strong, William Fields and Isaac Richmond are witness to the Indenture between John McClelland and Abraham Richmond for land adjacent to the conditional line between Thomas Strong and said McClelland... on top of a clift of Obey's creek... Recorded: 07 Jun 1809 [DB 4/248-9]
18 Nov 1812 - Russell County, Virginia - Indenture between John McClelland of Overton County, Tennessee and Thomas Strong of Russell County ...$40 ...26 acres in Russell County on the waters of Copper creek and on both sides of the big spring branch including a mill seat... Wit: Teague Quillen, Eley Murphy, Samuel (X) Casteel Recorded: 06 Apr 1813 - presented to court and recorded on 01 Jun 1813 [DB 4/599-600]
11 Nov 1838: Scott County, Virginia: Identified by marriage register as Thomas Strong Sr. m. (this date) Judith McHenry. (She was Judith A. Poston, d/o of William & Sarah (Hamill) Poston of Washington County, Virginia had m. (1)John McHenry)
+ 124. viii Catherine Dent Poston #22674.
125. ix Louisa D.A. Poston #22675.
She married George B. Nelson #22805, married bef Jul 12,1834.
126. x Matilda Golden Poston #22676, b. cir 1801.6
She married6 Theodore G. Pearson #22692, b. cir 1796 in Virginia,6 County of: Bath,6 Buried: Poston Cemetery.
Theodore: Theodore Pearson: #22692
12 Jul 1824 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between George B. Nelson and Louisa D.A. Nelson his wife of Montgomery County and State of Tennessee and Theadore Pearson of Smyth County ...$50 ...all right title and interest of the said Louisa to the tract of land in Smyth County ...which was owned by William Poston and on which he resided at the time of his death adjoining lands of Hatch D. Poston, Peter Scott and heirs of William Crabtree to an undivided interest in which land the said Louisa is entitled by the Will of her Father the said William Poston... Wit: John H. Poston Sig: George B. Nelson, Louisa D.A. Nelson.
12 Jul 1834: ..."59th year of Independence of the United States"...Louisa examined by Andrew Vance, Clerk & Chas. Bailey, Deputy Clerk, Montgomery Co. Tennessee. Recorded: 09 Aug 1834 [DB 1/219-20](Date of indenture as written = 1824).
12 Aug 1835 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between John Preston and Margaret, his wife of Washington County and Theodore G. Piercen of Smyth County ...$75 ...100 acres in Smyth County on Poston's Still house Creek and the north side of of the piney mountain and bounded... creek at the foot of said mountain... woods in the poor valley... crossing Trardway's Gap ...100 acres granted Robert Presten by pattent bearing date 30 May 1797... Sig: Jno. Preston Recorded: 21 Jul 1835 [DB 1/387-8].
127. xi Narcissa T. Poston #22677, b. 1806,6 d. Apr 11,1811,6 buried in Poston Cemetery.
30. Solomon Poston #41914, d. bef 1790.3 Solomon is stated to have served in the Revolutionary War.
128. i Bartholomew Poston #42036.
129. ii Edward Poston #42037.
31. Benjamin Poston #41915, b. in Virginia, County of: Charles, d. 1802 in Rowan County, North Carolina.3
130. i John Jordan Poston #42038, b. 1780 in Bryantown, Maryland,3 County of: Charles, Buried: Mt. Ulla, North Carolina, d. Dec 17,1830 in Rowan County, North Carolina.3
He married (1) Polly Warner #42048, married Jan 17,1812.3
He married (2) Susannah Rice #42049, married Aug 11,1817.3
131. ii Edward Poston #42039, b. 1788 in Bryantown, Maryland,3 County of: Charles.
He married3 (1) Amanda King #42046.
He married (2) Mary Ann Christy #42047, married Oct 24,1848.3
132. iii Mary Poston #42040, d. Jul 28,1839.3
She married David Foster #42045, married Jan 15,1805.3
133. iv Benjamin Poston #42041, b. 1794-97 in North Carolina,3 County of: Rowan, d. Oct 3,1859 in Statesville, Iredell Co., North Carolina.3
He married3 Rachel C. Knox #42044.
134. v Sophia Poston #42042, b. Mar 6,1794 in North Carolina,3 County of: Rowan, d. JUl 18,1867.3
She married George M. Shuford #42043, married Nov 23,1826.3
53. James W. Poston #41942, b. 1762.3
+ 135. i Leonard Poston #43748.
136. ii James Poston #43749, b. 1804.3
137. iii Wilsey Poston #43750, b. 1809.3
138. iv Nancy Poston #43751.
She married3 William MacCammack #43752.
81. Samuel Poston #41979, b. Jun 5,1775 in Virginia, Buried: Fort Gower, Ohio, d. Aug 13,1823 in near Hockingport, Ohio.3
He married Jane (Jenny) Slane #41983, married Jan 30,1796 in Frederick County, Virginia,3 b. in Ireland, (daughter of Daniel Slane #43782 and Nancy ???? (Slane) #43783).
139. i Rebecca Poston #43785, b. bef 1800 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire.3
She married John B. Miller #43786, married Jan 2,1823 in Athens County, Ohio.3
140. ii Nancy Poston #43787, b. Aug 7,1800 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire,3 d. 1866 in Kansas.3
She married3 William Stephenson #43793, d. 1865 in Kansas.3
141. iii Malinda Poston #41990, b. 1801-03 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire.
She married3 Alexander Poston #41987, b. 1785 in Virginia,3 (son of Elias Poston #31508 and Rebecca Cheshire #41896) County of: Hampshire, d. Feb 18,1852 in Chillocothe, Wapello County, Iowa.3
Alexander: (Alexander Poston is stated to be father of 20 children. [J. Michael Poston].
142. iv Elias Poston #43788, b. Dec 21,1804 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire.3
143. v William Wesley Poston #43789, b. Feb 6,1808 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire,3 d. Mar 1864.3
144. vi Hugh Alexander Poston #43790, b. Sep 24,1809 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire.3
145. vii John Poston #43791, b. Mar 28,1813 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire.3
146. viii Elizabeth Poston #43792, b. Jun 5,1815 in Virginia,3 County of: Hampshire.3
93. Richard Poston #22709, b. bef 1784,3 d. Jan 30,1843 in Pulaski County, Missouri. Richard Poston was born in Virginia and was believed to be the son of
Richard Poston and Ann Campbell. Richard, according to the story handed
down in Overton Cty., TN was the son of a prominent Virginia Plantation
owner. When his mother died and his father remarried and Richard and his
stepmother did not get along. One Sunday when his father and stepmother
were at church, Richard took a flintlock rifle, $10.00 of his fathers money
and a horse and left home. He followed the Indian Trail into Kentucky and
stayed there for about a year. He then walked south on an Indian Trail and
ended up in Windle, TN in Overton Cty., TN. He stopped at the home of Col.
Stephen Copeland in the Windle community on roaring River. Col. Copeland
was the first settler of Overton County. Richard later married the daughter
of Col. Copeland. Her name was Elizabeth.
Richard Poston was in the War of 1812 in Capt. David Williams Copeland's 3rd
Tennessee Militia commanded by Colonel Steven Copeland. He served from
January 28 to May 1814 in the war against the hostile Creek Indians After
his honorable discharge, we believe Richard went to Pulaski County, MO with
a number of other families in the early 1840's. He died there on January
30, 1843. His wife Amelia and children never did move over there, probably
waiting for Richard to get settled. Apparently later generations didn't
know what happened to Richard Poston, they just knew that he left Overton
Cty., TN but Amelia's pension application reveals he died in Pulaski Cty.
MO. [Ref: Carole Lannom (email@example.com
He married Amelia Elizabeth Copeland #65108, married December 24, 1811, b. c 1790, d. Aft 1860 in Overton County, Tennessee.
+ 147. i Campbell Poston #65109 b. Sep-15-1815.
+ 148. ii Agnes Poston #65116 b. 1810.
+ 149. iii Hiram Poston #65121 b. Jun 15,1812.
+ 150. iv Elysibeth Poston #65142 b. 1818.
151. v Decauter Poston #65145.
152. vi Richard Poston #65146, b. Jul 17, 1812.
153. vii Solomon "Babe" Poston #65147, b. 1817, d. c 1890.
154. viii Frances "Frankie" Poston #65148, b. c 1827.
155. ix Lucinda "Lucy" Poston #65149, b. c 1828.
156. x Rhoda Poston #65150, b. c 1828.
157. xi Isaac Newton Poston #65151.
158. xii Denton Poston #65152.
159. xiii Alexander "Buck" Buchanan Poston #65153.
95. Catherine (Kitty) Poston #22755. Kitty Poston and John Craig were married by Nicholas Reagan. [Min. Returns].
She married John Craig #22774, married Mar 31,1796 in Washington County, Virginia.9
John: John Craig: #22774
(Speculative identity as to being same John Craig):
05 May 1773 - Fincastle County, Virginia - In Court: Walter Crockett, executor of Joseph Crockett, deceased, plaintiff against John Craig, defendant ... defendant is Indebted to the plantiff for ïƒ‰2:10 plus costs: 362 lbs. tobacco..[OB 1/45]
05 May 1773 - Fincastle County, Virginia - James Craig, plantiff Vs. John Craig, defendant... [OB 1/45]
(Note: 03 Apr 1811 - Washington County, Virginia - a John A. Craig married Juliet Montgomery; by Stephen Bovell. [Fleet]).
+ 160. i Mary (Polly) Craig #33465 b. May 06 1802.
97. Hatch Dent Poston #22757, b. cir 1796. Hatch Dent Poston: #22757
15 May 1821 - Washington County, Virginia - Hatch D. Poston recommended as Lieut., 2nd Batt., 70th Regiment, in room of (Robert) Hayton. [Index of Militia Officers, 1777-1835]
20 Jun 1832 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between John Campbell and H.D. Poston ...$46 ...land John Campbell bought of Col James White and Francis Smith said to be 155 acres now in Smyth County near the Broad ford of Holston River ...on south bank of the river a corner of said Poston's old survey thence with the river crossing same.... Sig: John Campbell Recorded: 21 Jun 1832 [DB 1:14-15]
17 Dec 1835 - Smyth County, Virginia - Hatch D. Poston appointed Sheriff of Smyth County, Virginia... [DB 1/459-60]
20 Aug 1838 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between Oswald C. Roberts and Elizabeth, his wife and Hatch D. Poston... all of Smyth County ...$316... land in Smyth County... adjoining the land of said H.D. Poston containing 19 acres m/l being that part of the land of William Crabtree Senr., dec'd., ... was alloted to Bazil Roberts & between his wife late Rebecca Crabtree and conveyed to said Oswald C. Roberts by deed from said "Bazwel" Roberts & wife dated 18 Dec 1837 and recorded in Smyth County.... Recorded: 22 Apr 1839 [DB 2:329-330].
He married Ann Eliza Campbell #22760, married cir 1819,6 b. cir 1800,6 (daughter of John Campbell #22758 and Dorcus Tate #22759).
+ 161. i Louisa Dorcas Poston #22765 b. cir 1822.
162. ii Emily M. Poston #22766, b. Jun 20,1823.6
She married6 John W. Stallard #22782, d. Dec 14,???? in Fort Worth, Texas.
+ 163. iii Maria C. Poston #22767 b. Apr 1826.
+ 164. iv Elizabeth (Bettie) Poston #22768 b. 1827.
165. v John C. Poston #22769, b. 1829 in Virginia,12 County of: Smyth,12 d. Oct 31,1893 in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Virginia.12
101. Isaac Poston #22711, b. 1795 in Virginia,6 County of: Washington,6 d. 1868 in Smyth County, Virginia.6
He married Jane Miller #22712, married Apr 28,1836 in Smyth County, Virginia,6 b. 1800,6 d. Apr 13,1860 in Smyth County, Virginia.6
+ 166. i Pauline Miller (Polly Ann) Poston #22713 b. cir 1823.
167. ii Eveline (Emeline) Poston #22714, b. cir 1828.6
+ 168. iii Isabella Poston #24971 b. c 1830.
+ 169. iv William M. Poston #22716 b. May 10,1831.
+ 170. v Richard Poston #22717 b. 1833.
171. vi Jeremiah Poston #25640, b. cir 1836.6
172. vii Rachel Poston #22718, b. cir 1838.6
+ 173. viii Martha Poston #22719 b. cir 1839.
174. ix Isaac Harrison Poston #22720, b. cir 1841.6
+ 175. x Hamilton Scott (Hamil) Poston #22721 b. Apr 7,1848.
102. Elias Poston #22740, b. cir 1809,6 d. bef 1880.6
He married Sarah H. Billiter/Billetor #22741, married cir 1832,6 b. 1806,5 (daughter of Caleb Billiter #57545 and Rachel ???? (Billiter) #57546) d. May 7,1892 in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Virginia.12
Sarah: Death register states: Sarah H. Poston died at age 86 of "old age; d/o "Ben & Susan Biliter"; consort of Elias Poston; reported by Mary Poston, daughter-in- law.[Ref: Smyth County, Virginia: Register of Deaths; Book 1; p98; Ln39].
+ 176. i William H. Poston #22744 b. cir 1832.
+ 177. ii Thompson Poston #22742 b. cir 1833.
+ 178. iii John M. Poston #22743 b. c 1842.
179. iv Rachel Poston #22745, b. cir 1842.6
+ 180. v Emily B. (Emma) Poston #22746 b. cir 1843*.
181. vi Edwin (Edward) Poston #22747, b. cir 1846.6 Identified by 1860 census as Edward Poston, age 12.
+ 182. vii Llewellyn Poston #22749 b. cir 1851.
+ 183. viii Susan C. Poston #29555 b. Aug 7,1851.
117. Rachel Noe Poston #22667, b. in Maryland,16 d. 1848 in Smyth County, Virginia.16 Rachel Poston & Peter Scott were married by Nicholas Reagan Sr.
She married Peter Scott #22678, married Sep 17,1803 in Washington County, Virginia,9 b. cir 1775 in Virginia,16 (son of William Scott #13027 and Lucretia (Lucy) James #13028) County of: Bedford,6 d. 1836 in Smyth County, Virginia.16
Peter: Peter Scott: #22678
Indenture, 23 Nov 1802 bet. JAMES CRABTREE, one & PETER SCOTT, other both of WCVâ€¦350 pounds, sold, land, 156 acres, it being part of a larger tract of 289 acres, # 10,9035, date 12 Feb 1782, in WCV, South side of Holstein riverâ€¦ cor. to THOMAS BYRDs surveyâ€¦ the cor. of a part of the aforesaid tract sold to WILLIAM POSTON thence with said POSTONs lineâ€¦ /s/ JAMES CRABTREE; RHODA (her x mark) CRABTREE. /w/ WILLIAM TATE; WILLIAM POSTON; JOHN TATE. Comm. of VA to ENOCH McCARTY and CHARLES TATE, Gent. Justicesâ€¦ whereas RHODA CRABTREE wife of the said JAMES CRABTREE cannot conveniently attend our County Courtâ€¦ to make acknowledgementâ€¦ power to receive the acknowledgment granted.
p. 31: Indenture, 23 Nov 1802 bet. JAMES CRABTREE, one & PETER SCOTT, other, both of WCVâ€¦ for $150 pounds, sold, land , 150 acres, part of larger tract of 280 acres, no. 109035, date 12 Feb 1782, in WCV on South side of Holstein riverâ€¦ cor. to THOMAS BYRDs surveyâ€¦ cor. to a part of the aforesaid tract sold to WILLIAM POSTON thence with said POSTONs lineâ€¦ on a high bank of the river the beginning of the tract of the tractâ€¦ sold to WILLIAM POSTONâ€¦ day and year first above written. /s/ JAMES CRABTREE; RHODA (her x mark) CRABTREE. /w/ WILLIAM TATE; WILLIAM POSTON; JOHN TATE. Comm. of VA to ENOCH McCARTY and CHARLES TATE, Gent. Justicesâ€¦ whereas RHODA CRABTREE wife of the said JAMES CRABTREE cannot attend our county courtâ€¦ give unto youâ€¦ power to receive the acknowledgementâ€¦ personally go to the said RHODA CRABTREE and receive her acknowledgementâ€¦
p. 32: â€¦Witness JOHN CAMPBELL Clerkâ€¦ this 16 Jan 1803â€¦ /s/ D. CAMPBELL. WC(V) to wit. Pursuant to a commissionâ€¦ proceeded to examine RHODA CRABTREE and do hereby certifyâ€¦ she willingly signedâ€¦ Given under our hands this 19th day of Feb 1803. /s/ ENOCH McCARTY; CHARLES TATE. Recorded at court 18 Jan 1803 on oath of WILLIAM TATE, WILLIAM POSTON & JOHN TATEâ€¦ [WCVDB3]
Indenture, 18 Oct 1803 bet. WILLIAM POSTON, one & PETER SCOTT, other, both of WCVâ€¦ for $30, sell, land, 85 acres, one rood, seven purches (perches)â€¦ part of larger survey of 192 acres surveyed for the loyal companyâ€¦ on the south side of the north forkâ€¦ /s/ WILLIAM POSTON. Indenture recorded at court held 18 Oct 1803â€¦
__ ___ 1810 - Washington County, Virginia - Census: Peter Scott head of household: 1 male under 10; 1 male 26-45; 2 females under 10; 1 female 16-26; 1 female 45+; 5 slaves.
23 Nov 1833 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between Peter Scott and Rachael, wife and John Roberts and Oswald Roberts all of Smyth County... $200 .. 55 acres 1 rod 20 poles land ...in Smyth Co. on south side North Fork Holston River and bounded... stake on northwest side of the mill canal a corner of the land of Genl. William Tate, dec'd,... Sig: Peter Scott, Rachael Scott. Rachael Scott examined by James Taylor & H.D. Poston, J.P.s Recorded: 22 May 1834 [DB 1:197-198].
184. i Lucretia J. Scott #29505, b. 1815 in Virginia,12 County of: Smyth,12 d. Jan 18,1862 in Smyth County, Virginia.12 Death register states: Lucretia J. Talbert died at age 47 of Consumption in Smyth County; d/o Peter & Rachel Scott; born, Smyth Co.; consort of Basil Talbert; reported by neighbor, W.C. Sexton.[p11; Ln141].
She married12 Bazil Talbert #17815, b. Aug 24,1795,17 (son of Bazil Talbert/Talbot #3164 and Mary Logan #11033) Buried: Roberts Cemetery,18 d. Jun 11,1861.17
Bazil: Basil Talbert: #17815
01 Dec 1824 - Washington County, Virginia - Indenture between Bazil Talbert and Lucretia, wife and William Byars, 7/8 of tract in Washington County, Virginia, waters of middle Fork of Holston River adj. Robert Stewart, Absolom Beattie, Robert B. Edmiston, about 190 a., formerly conveyed by Thomas Stewart to Bazil Talbert now deceased and from Bazil Talbert to his 8 heirs: Bazil, Sally, Barbara, Bethia, Thomas, Eliza, Margaret, Mary. Admitted to record: 26 Feb 1835 [DB 12/118,9][Ref: Hockett abstract]
02 May 1831 - Washington County, Virginia - Indenture: Joseph Meek Jr. & Sally, wife; Isaac Horn & Eliza, wife; Samuel Logan & Bethia, wife; Thomas Talbert Jr., Margaret Talbert and Mary Talbert, one part: & Basil Talbert, other part... all their interest as heirs at law of Bazil Talbert, dec'd., interest being 1/8th land on waters north fork Holston River, adj. lands of Robert Stewart, Absolom Beatie, Robert B. Edminston & others, about 190 acres.. Acknowledged 06 Aug 1832 [DB 11/48,49][DB 11/120-1][Ref: Hockett abstract]
28 Apr 1845 - Washington County, Virginia - Indenture between Basil Talbert and Lucretia, wife, Isaac Horne and Eliza, wife; and William Byars, $8, to their ancestor Basil Talbert, dec'd., in his lifetime paid to said Byars... right, title and interest that descended to them from said father Basil Talbert, dec'd., land, 2 acres and 89 poles 1.5 miles below his residence....
Recorded: 23 Feb 1846 [DB 17/365-6][Ref: Hockett abstract]
Identified by headstone as Basil Talbert; consort of Lucretia J. Talbert.
[Ref: Smyth County Virginia Cemeteries; Vol.I; Sturgill].
+ 185. ii Stephen Hamil Scott #22693 b. Feb 7,1820.
120. Sarah Chandler (Sally) Poston #22671, b. May 7,1792 in Maryland,19 d. Mar 4,1853,19 buried in Tazewell County, Virginia.
She married Samuel Cecil #22685, married Feb 3,1814,20 b. Nov 30,1788 in Maryland,19 (son of William Cecil #39050 and Ann Witten #39052) d. Nov 26,1868,19 buried in Tazewll County, Virginia.
Samuel: Samuel Cecil: #22685
Samuel and wife, Sally Poston lived on the north side of Clinch River opposite the mouth of Plumb Creek.
(A Querie in "The Virginia Genealogist", Vol.5, No.2, Apr-Jun 1961, p96,
married Kezia Bryn (Bryan), born 1795 Va. .."
[Miss Cleo A. Barry, 1706 N. Barton, Fresno 3, Calif.]
+ 186. i Narcissa Tarpaul P. Cecil #45492 b. Jun 15,1815.
187. ii Dorinda Witten Cecil #45493, b. Feb 14,1817,19 d. Dec 26,1895.19
188. iii Sarah Ann Hamill Cecil #45494, b. Jun 6,1818,19 d. Dec 20,1898.19
+ 189. iv William Poston Cecil #39047 b. Apr 9,1820.
190. v A. Priscilla Cecil #45497, b. Mar 3,1822,19 d. May 1843.19
191. vi John H. Cecil #45498, b. Sep 25,1824,19 d. May 2,1826.19
192. vii Rachel Cecil #45499, b. Oct 5,1827 in Virginia,19 County of: Tazewell, d. Aug 15,1889 in Wythe County, Virginia.19
193. viii Samuel A. Cecil #45500, b. Nov 25,1828,19 d. Jul 22,1836.19
194. ix Edward Cecil #45501, b. Apr 23,1831,19 d. Aug 2,1833.19
195. x Catherine Matilda Cecil #45502, b. Jan 28,1834,19 d. May 8,1919.19
121. Asenath Wilder Poston #22672, b. Mar 14,1794 in Virginia,6 County of: Washington, Buried: Poston Cemetery, d. Sep 17,1846 in Smyth County, Virginia.6
She married Mitchell Scott #22686, married Mar 10,1814,6 b. Feb 25,1790 in Virginia,5 (son of Charles Scott #22687 and Elizabeth Talbert #22688) County of: Farmer,12 County of: Washington,12 d. Sep 8,1858 in Smyth County, Virginia.12
Mitchell: Mitchell Scott: #22686
22 Oct 1833 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between Isaac Ganaway of Smyth County ...one part and Mitchell Scott, Trustee of Priscilla Gannaway wife of the said Isaac of the same county other part ...that wherefore by a deed bearing date 13 Dec 1823 the said Isaac Gannaway conveyed to the said Micheal Scott (as written;tc) certain slaves and other property in trust for the said Pricilla, his wife and whereas doubts have arisen(?) as to the proper construction of the said Deed for the selling and doing away of said doubts this indenture therefore witnesseth that the said Isaac being still desirious to make for his wife, Priscilla, a provision that will renew(?) her indepdant and safe from the consequences of his inequalities therefore the said Gannaway for the sum of $1... sells to Mitchell Scott, one negro woman slave Mimia Flora and her children Fanny, Bett, Anthony and Washington together with the future increase of the females and one gelding to have and to hold the said slaves and horse to the said Mitchell Scott and his heirs executers and administrators according to the course of the common law upon trust then that the said Prescilla shall have the use, service or hire of said Slaves and gelding in such manner and form as she the said Priscilla shall appoint by writing under her hand notwithstanding the coverture to the interest that the said slaves and horse shall not be subjected to the control or liable to the future debts or engagements of him the said Isaac Gannaway and the receipt of the said Pricilla under her hand from time to time shall notwithstanding the coverture be good to the said Mitchell Scott or any other person who shall be indebted for the hire or services of the said slaves provided nevertheless there is due for the purchase of a slave named Hiram to the Executors of William Poston, deceased, a sum upwards of five hundred Dollars for which they hold the obligation of the said Isaac Gannaway and the said Mitchell Scott his security and it is not certain wheather the same must be paid or will be part of the dividena of the said Priscilla of the estate of the said William Poston, her father, therefore it is agreed that the said Priscilla and Mitchell, out of her seperate estate aforesaid including the dividend coming from the estate of her father shall indemnify and save harmless the said Isaac from obligations aforesaid for the price of the slave aforesaid yet upon this further trust should the said Priscilla die before the said Isaac, he is to have and enjoy the use of the said slaves and property during his natural life provided the land aforesaid shall be paid but if the said land be not paid or should the said Scott be compelled to pay the same or any part thereof he may sell a part of the said slaves to make the payment aforesaid at the death of the said Isaac should he survive the Priscilla, the said slaves are to go to her legal representatives or distributees or to such person or persons as she may appoint in writing under her hand and seal notwithstanding the coverture should the said Priscilla survive the said Isaac, she is to have the absolute control and dispose of the said slaves during her life and at her death they shall go to her legal representatives... as she shall bequeath... Sig: Isaac Gannaway, Mitchell Scott Recorded: 22 Oct 1833 [DB 1/118-9].
25 Oct 1833 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between John H. Fulton of the County of Washington and Michaell Scott of the County of Smyth... $780... land in Smyth County on both sides of the main stage road about one and ahalf miles west of Smyth County Courthouse being one of the old tracts of land of which Isaac Anderson died seized and the same Moyety which was devised by the said Isaac Anderson to his son William Anderson... the same being subject to dower of Nancy Anderson the widow of said William Anderson... Recorded: 23 Jan 1834 [DB 1/41-2].
__ ___ 1850 - Smyth County, Virginia - Census: Mitchell Scott, 59; Aninath A., 17; Edward A., 27; Mary I., 23; Virginia C., 1. [Hockett abstract](Note: an Edward A. Scott m. Mary J. Davis, 18 May 1843; Virginia C., grandaughter(?) of Mitchell Scott)
08 Sep 1858 - Smyth County, Virginia - Death register states: died of flux at age 68y 6m 14d; s/o Chas & Elizabeth Scott; b. Washington County; Farmer; married; reported by son, E.A. Scott.[p3;Ln2].
+ 196. i Priscilla C. Scott #29538 b. Jun 7,1820.
+ 197. ii Edward A. Scott #29493 b. 1821.
+ 198. iii Asenath Ann Scott #29879 b. cir 1830.
+ 199. iv Sarah Elizabeth Scott #52983 b. 1828.
124. Catherine Dent Poston #22674. (*Note: Children listed for Catherine and Arthur Bowen from Annals of Tazewell County VA From 1800-1922; Harmon (1911).
She married Arthur McMurray Bowen #22691, (son of John Bowen #25597 and Lilly McIlhaney #25598).
Arthur: Arthur Bowen: #22691
27 Jan 1833 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between Arthur M. Bowen & Jacob Blessing, administrators with the will annexed of Jacob Blessing Senr., deceased of one part & Henry B. Thompson ..other part... $200 ...land in Smyth County ...one of the tracts directed ...to be sold by the will ...200 acres ...patent dated 02 Jul 1790 in favor of said Jacob Blessing and Bounded... white oak near a lick... Recorded: 21 Feb 1833 [DB 1/112-3]
17 Aug 1833 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between Arthur M. Bowen & Jacob Blessing ...administrators (see above) one part and Joseph Brown, other part... $535... 100 acres... in Smyth Co ...Bounded ...John Hutton's line... Soloman Blessing's corner... Recorded: 13 Aug 1833 [DB 1/113-4]
23 Jan 1833 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between Arthur M. Bowen and Jacob Blessing, administrators (see previous)...and Henry Neff* of same county... $141... 45 acres in Smyth County, Virginia... patent of ...01 Oct 1818 and issued in name of Jacob Blessing ...Bounded... Michael Naves* line and with Nave's line... corner to said Naves... corner to Henry Cullops land on a line of Peter Feses land and with his line... corner of Jacob Blessing's land bought of Henry Baugh and with a line of the same... then with a line of aforesaid Jacob Blessing... to Michael Barry's land... Recorded: 17 Aug 1833 [DB 1/136-137]
12 Oct 1836 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between Andrew Johnston and Catherine, his wife and Arthur M. Bowen (all of Smyth Co.) ...$70 ...all their right, title and interest to the real estate of Henry Nair*, deceased, which interest consists of one third of said real estate... Catherine ...having formerly been the wife of Henry Nair(Nave ?)... 14 acres ...also 24 acres designated... as the lot of Polly Hawks which was sold to Henry Nair, deceased... also the said Catherine Nairs interest in that part of Michael Nairs estate assigned by said Commissioners to Catherine Smyth formerly Catherine Nair, relict of said Michael... also her unassigned dowery interest in a tract of land conveyed by Jacob Blessing's admrs. with the will to Henry Nair... 40 acres... Sig: Andrew (his (+) mark) Johnson, Catherine (her (+) mark). Johnson (Note: Body of indenture says Johnston). Recorded: 12 Oct 1836. [DB 2/31-2].
(*Note: M/film partially illegible.. "Nair" possibly Nave/Neff (See also: Neff: Indenture of 23 Jan 1833)
01 Sep 1838 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between Arthur Bowen and Catherine, his wife and James W. Sheffey... all of Smyth County ...$4000 ... land in Smyth County... on both sides of the main road and on the south side of the Middle fork of Holston River being the same on which said Bowen now lives... 455 acres.. bounded...corner to the land purchased by Henry B. Thompson of Jacob Blessing thence on a division line between said Thompson McMurry tract ...to a cherry tree (so also just leave the old house of Arthur Bowen Sr. on the side of the said Thompson) ...near George Byars' line... Recorded: 09 Oct 1838.[DB 2/263-4].
12 Oct 1836 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between Andrew Johnston and Catherine, his wife and Arthur M. Bowen... $70... sell to Bowen all interest title and claim in the real estate of Henry Nave, dec'd., which consists of 1/3 of said estate during Catherine's life she having formerly been the wife of Henry Nave, dec'd, consisting of her unassigned dower... 14 acres ...also 24 acres designated in said plat as the lot of Polly Hawks which was sold to Henry Nave, dec'd., ...also the said Catherine's interest in... Michael Nave estate assigned... to Catherine Smyth formerly Catherine Nave relict of said Michael also her unassigned dowery interest in a tract of land conveyed by Jacob Blessing, administrator, of the will annexed to said Henry Nave by deed of record... 45 acres... Recorded: 12 Oct 1836 [DB 2/380-381].
200. i Sarah Bowen #25600.
201. ii Texie Bowen #25601.
202. iii Mary Bowen #25602.
203. iv Hamill Bowen #25603.
204. v Richard Bowen #25604.
205. vi Robert Bowen #25605.
206. vii Virginia Bowen #25606.
207. viii William Bowen #25607.
208. ix Jerome Bowen #25608.
209. x Reese Bowen #25609.
135. Leonard Poston #43748.
He married3 Margaret ???? (Poston) #43747.
210. i John H. Poston #43753, b. 1825.3
147. Campbell Poston #65109, b. Sep-15-1815 in Overton County, Tennessee, d. Jan-07-1865.
He married Jane Harriet Maxwell #65110, b. Dec 04,1820 in Overton County, Tennessee.
211. i David Crockett Poston #65111, b. May-12-1837.
212. ii Delilah Poston #65112, b. Jan-08-1850 in Overton County, Tennessee.
213. iii William A. Poston #65113, b. Jan-07-1839 in Overton County, Tennessee.
148. Agnes Poston #65116, b. 1810.
She married Lawrence Mathews #65117.
+ 214. i John Sims Mathews #65118.
149. Hiram Poston #65121, b. Jun 15,1812 in Tennessee, d. Sep 25,1902 in Overton County, Tennessee.
He married Mahalia Lea #65122, b. Aug 18,1813 in Tennessee, d. Jan 20,1898 in Overton County, Tennessee.
215. i Zaddoc Poston #65123, b. May 20,1835 in Overton County, Tennessee, d. Mar 26,1916.
He married Mary J. Lankford #65124, married Jun 24, 1856.
216. ii Alzoa Poston #65125, b. May 1836 in Overton County, Tennessee, d. Apr 22,1923.
217. iii Matilda Poston #65126, b. Apr 20, 1839 in Overton County, Tennessee.
She married (1) Amos Carmack #65127, b. Oct 15, 1849, d. Jul 28, 1911.
She married (2) Wilburn Stewart #65128.
218. iv Mary Polly Poston #65129, b. Sep 09, 1840 in Overton County, Tennessee.
She married William Jackson Stewart #65130, married Jan 29,1859.
219. v Louis H. Poston #65131, b. Jun 28, 1842 in Overton County, Tennessee, d. May 2,1916.
He married Sallie Copeland #65132.
+ 220. vi Richard Johnson Poston #65133 b. May 02, 1844.
+ 221. vii Huntsman Poston #65136 b. Aug 11, 1846.
222. viii Anna Poston #65139, b. Apr 09, 1848 in Overton County, Tennessee.
She married James M. Swallows #65140.
223. ix Clementine Poston #65141, b. Jun 23, 1850 in Overton County, Tennessee, d. Dec 06, 1916.
150. Elysibeth Poston #65142, b. 1818 in Overton County, Tennessee, d. Aug 12, 1878 in Jackson County, Tennessee.
She married James Pierce Phillips #65143, b. Aug 12, 1811, d. Jun 11, 1878 in Jackson County, Tennessee.
224. i Octavia Phillips #65144, b. c 1850.
160. Mary (Polly) Craig #33465, b. May 06 1802,21 Buried: Green Spring Cemetery, d. Jun 01 1867.21 Polly and John Gray were married by Stephen Bovell.[Min. Returns]
She was m/o 6 sons who served in the Civil War. ["Virginia and Virginians";
Dr. R.A. Brock (1888)]
She married John Gray #33466, married Sep 19,1822 in Washington County, Virginia,9 b. Jan 11 1795 in Washington County, Virginia,21 (son of William Gray #56759) d. Feb 02 1875,21 buried in Green Spring Cemetery.
John: Served in the War of 1812. ["Virginia and Virginians"; Dr. R.A. Brock (1888)].
+ 225. i William McCain Gray #62190 b. Dec 1,1825.
+ 226. ii Robert Emmett Gray #50527 b. Jun 1,1837.
+ 227. iii Charles Poston Gray #33467 b. Apr 10 1845.
161. Louisa Dorcas Poston #22765, b. cir 1822 in Virginia,22 County of: Smyth,22 d. bef Oct 15,1879. Smyth County marriage register indicates marriage bond of Louisa Dorcas Poston and William King, dated 17 Sep 1838.[Marriage Register; p10a]. Marriage Register states: Louisa Poston King, age 32, widow on 10 Aug 54; d/o Hatch D. Poston. Louisa and Henry Morgan were married by Isaac Forkner. Louisa must have died before 15 Oct 1879 as (2) husband, Henry L. Morgan, married on this date as a widower.
She married (1) William King #22775, married Sep 17,1839 in Smyth County, Virginia,13 b. Aug 20,1805,23 (son of William L. King #43355 and Salina ???? (King) #43356) Buried: Sinking Spring Cemetery, d. Apr 29,1847.23
William: William King: #22775
05 Oct 1838 - Smyth County, Virginia - Indenture between Stephen Lyon and Margaret, his wife of one part and Alexander McCall and William King... other part... $2493... 277 acres... corner to Sol (Soloman;tc) McReynolds... white oak on the top of the Cedar Clift... south bank of the river thence running diagonally across the river... below the mouth of Cedar branch where the old corner stood... to the beginning. Lying and being in Smyth County on the North Fork Holston River... Recorded: 18 Jun 1839 [DB 2:335-336].
228. i Alexander McCall King #22776, b. cir 1840-41,6 Buried: Sinking Spring Cemetery, d. Feb 15,1865 in Fort Pulaski, Georgia.23 Headstone states: Capt. Alexander McCall King d. as a P.O.W in Fort Pulaski, Georgia. He was a member of 50th Reg., 4th Va Cav, CSA.
229. ii Eliza Campbell King #22777, b. 1846 in Saltville, Virginia, d. Aug 5,1917. TCV, Richlands: Eliza Campbell SMYTHE, white female, married, b. 1846, Saltville, VA, d/o William KING, Nashville & Mary PASTON (Poston), SCV; d. 05 Aug 1917.
She married ???? Smyth #61809.
230. iii H.D. King #22778, b. cir 1844.6 (Note: name was possibly Hatch Dent King).
231. iv Mariah Anastacia King #22779, b. cir 1846, Buried: Sinking Spring Cemetery, d. Dec 19,1861 in Martha Washington College.23 Headstone states: died at age 15.
She married (2) Henry Lewis Morgan #22780, married Aug 10,1854 in Saltville, Washington County, Virginia,22 b. 1829 in Virginia,22 (son of James Morgan #22781) Occupation: Overseer in Washington County, Virginia,22 County of: Washington,22 Buried: Emory Cemetery, d. May 12,1908.23
Henry: Henry Lewis Morgan: #22780
Birth register entry of 21 Nov 1855 states Henry's occupation was "Overseer". By 1857, a farmer in Russell County, Virginia at time of birth of daughter, Mary Morgan. [Ref: Russell County Register of Births]
Served in the Civil War as a member of the Saltville Artillery.
Marriage register states; Henry L. Morgan was age "52", widowed; on 15 Oct 1879; manager; resident Smyth County; (Parents unnamed).[p54;Ln62].
Headstone states: "Henry L. Morgan, d. 12 May 1908, age 84y 8d, Father". (The calculated birthdate is Tuesday 04 Mar 1824.)
232. v Unnamed Son Morgan #45726, b. Aug 11,1854 in Virginia,24 County of: Washington. Identified by birth register as "Son no name"; s/o Henry L. & Louisa P. Morgan; birth reported by mother.
233. vi Thomas P. Morgan #24166, b. Nov 21,1855 in Virginia, County of: Washington.24 Identified by birth register of Washington Co. as unnamed male; s/o Henry L. & Louisa Morgan; born 21 Nov 1855.[p26;Ln20]. Marriage register states; Thomas P. Morgan, was age 27, single; b. Washington Co.; Civil Engineer; s/o Henry L. & L.P. (Morgan).[p61;Ln3].
He married Sarah F. Phipps #29702, married Jan 10,1883 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1859 in Virginia,25 (daughter of Jerome B. Phipps #29683 and Matilda ???? (Phipps) #29684) County of: Smyth.25
234. vii Mary Morgan #29036, b. May 24,1857 in Virginia,26 County of: Russell.26 Birth register states: Mary Morgan; d/o Henry & Louisa P. Morgan; birth reported by father.[Ln 28 of 1857; Register of Births].
163. Maria C. Poston #22767, b. Apr 1826.6 Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Miriah Poston, 75, b. Apr 1827; living with daughter, Ada Tudkins, in Rich Valley District.[Hockett].
+ 235. i Ada Poston #34199 b. Jul 1865.
164. Elizabeth (Bettie) Poston #22768, b. 1827 in Virginia,25 County of: Smyth.25 Marriage register states; Bettie Poston was age 36, single on 20(?) Oct 1863; d/o H.D. & A.E. Poston.[p17;Ln33](Note: page is very dim on m/film).
She married Alexander Campbell #22770, married Oct 20,1863(?) in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1826 in Scotland.25
Alexander: Evidently, Alexander Campbell married Betty Poston as a soldier of the Civil War; for the marriage register, he lists residence of Army C.S. (Confederate States ?) and an occupation of ship carpenter.[p17;Ln33].
236. i Robert Campbell #22771, b. cir 1863.27
237. ii Louisa Campbell #22772, b. cir 1865.27
238. iii Mary Campbell #22773, b. cir 1869.27
166. Pauline Miller (Polly Ann) Poston #22713, b. cir 1823.6
She married John S. Call #22728, married cir 1843,6 b. cir 1818,6 Buried: Smyth County, Virginia.
John: John Call was a blacksmith and resident northern district of Smyth Co., VA at birth of daughter, Amanda on 01 Sep 1854.[Birth register, p69; Ln 2].
239. i Mary V. Call #22729, b. cir 1844.6
240. ii Eliza Call #22730, b. Apr 15,1846 in Smyth County, Virginia,6 d. Mar 20,1916 in Russell County, Virginia. RCV, New Garden: Eliza CALL, white female, single, b. 15 Apl 1846, Smyth, 70y; d. 20 Mar 1916, d/o John S. CALL, Wythe & Polline B. POSTON, Smyth; Nannie CALL, Swords Creek
241. iii Nancy Call #22731, b. cir 1849.6
242. iv Louisa K. Call #22732, b. Sep 10,1852 in Smyth County, Virginia,6 d. Jan 21,1916 in Russell County, Virginia. RCV, New Garden: Louisa K. CALL, white female, single, b. 10 Sep 1852, Smyth Co., 63y 8m 11d; d. 21 Jan 1916, d/op John S. CALL, Wythe Co. VA & Pauline B. POSTON, Smyth.
243. v Amanda Call #22733, b. Sep 1,1854 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: Amanda Call; d/o John & Polly Ann Call; birth reported by grandfather, Isaac Poston. Marriage register states; Amanda Call was age 21 on 18 Apr 1871; single; d/o John Call.
She married William K. Johnston/Johnson #20477, married Apr 18,1871 in Washington County, Virginia,22 b. 1850 in Virginia,29 (son of John Johnston #15307 and Lydia ???? (Johnston) #15308).
William: 1850 Census indicates age of 2/12. Marriage register states: William Johnson was age 23* on 18 Apr 1871; single; Farmer; s/o John & Lydia Johnson.
244. vi Sarah (Sally) Call #22734, b. Nov 20,1856 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
245. vii William Henry Call #22735, b. cir 1858.6
246. viii Thomas M. Call #22736, b. Sep 15,1859 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
He married Martha C. Boyd #54936, married Jul 16,1884 in Russell County, Virginia,30 b. 1859 in Virginia,30 (daughter of Joseph Boyd #54937 and Priscilla Robinson #54938) County of: Russell.
247. ix James L. Call #22737, b. Sep 20,1860 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
He married Electra C. Wilson #54895, married Dec 21,1885 in Russell County, Virginia,30 b. 1867 in Virginia,30 (daughter of John P. Wilson #54896 and Catherine Barrett #54897) County of: Russell.
248. x Harvey Call #22738, b. cir 1866.6
249. xi Reese Call #22739, b. Dec 8,1868 in Rich Valley, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
168. Isabella Poston #24971, b. c 1830 in Smyth County, Virginia.
She married Allen Grogan #24970.
+ 250. i Robert G. Grogan #55313 b. Sep 19,1852.
+ 251. ii Isaac C. Grogan #12930 b. c 1855.
252. iii W.W. Grogan #55318, b. 1870.
He married Lillie Holmes #55319, married Mar 9,1896 in Washington County, Virginia, b. 1882, (daughter of Alexander Holmes #24783 and Mary A. ???? (Holmes) #30119).
169. William M. Poston #22716, b. May 10,1831 in Virginia,6 Buried: Smyth County, Virginia, d. May 18,1918. SCV: W. M. POSTON, WHITE MALE, WIDOWED, B. 10 MAY 1831, SMYTH CO. VA, S/O 18 MAY 1918, S/O ISAAC POSTON, SMYTH CO. VA & DONâ€™T KNOW (MARION).
He married Mary Elizabeth (Lizzie) Scott #25610, b. Aug 1840 in Virginia.31
Mary: Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Mary E. Poston, age 59; married 41 years; mother of 11 with 9 living. Maiden name from obit. & death certificate of son, Manning Poston.
+ 253. i Susan V. Poston #25611 b. cir 1860.
254. ii Beverly W. Poston #25612, b. Apr 1860.31
+ 255. iii James Harrison Poston #25613 b. Sep 9,1863.
256. iv Nancy Poston #29367, b. Feb 6,1865 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
257. v Nancy P. (Nannie) Poston #25614, b. Mar 2,1866 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Marriage register states: Nannie P. Poston was age "28", single on 28 Nov 1896 d/o Wm. & M.E. (Poston); married by D.E. Hawk.
She married Thomas G. Wright #33487, married Nov 28,1896 in Smyth County, Virginia,32 b. 1868 in Virginia,32 County of: carpenter in Wythe County, Virginia,32 County of: Wythe.32
Thomas: Marriage register states: Thos G. Wright was age 28, single; born Wythe Co.; a carpenter in Wythe Co.; s/o Religh(?) & Mary (Wright).
258. vi William L. Poston #25615, b. May 9,1868 in Chestnut Ridge, Virginia,28 County of: Miner in Mingo County, West Virginia,33 County of: Smyth.28
He married Lake Eril Cline #60023, married Aug 30,1899 in Davy, West Virginia,33 b. 1877 in West Virginia,34 (daughter of John W. Cline #60024 and Susan ???? (Cline) #60025) County of: Wyoming.33
259. vii Alcey Bell Poston #29384, b. Nov 30,1870 in Rich Valley, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: Alcey Bell Poston; d/o Wm & Elizabeth Poston; birth reported by father, Wm. Poston. (Note: father's occupation was "Mechanic" in Smyth County, Virginia).
260. viii Maggie L. Poston #29598, b. Jul 10,1873 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: Maggie L. Poston was d/o William and Lizzie Poston. Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Maggie L. Poston, age 26; born Jul 1873; living with parents, William & Mary E. Poston.
261. ix Unnamed male Poston #29454, b. Dec 19,1875 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: (unnamed male) "Poston"; s/o Wm & Mary E. Poston.
+ 262. x Worley Morgan Poston #57506 b. Oct 24,1877.
+ 263. xi Manning Hufford Poston #35324 b. Jan 1881.
264. xii *Unknown #35355, b. bef 1900, d. bef 1900.
170. Richard Poston #22717, b. 1833 in Virginia,25 County of: Smyth,25 Buried: Smyth County, Virginia, d. 1900 in Scott County, Virginia.35 Resident Estilville District, Scott County, Virginia (1900).
He married Emily L. Epperson #25630, married Apr 14,1861 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. Jun 1845 in Virginia,6 (daughter of John Apperson #25628 and Rowena/Roanna Bryant #25629) County of: Smyth.25
Emily and Richard Poston were married by Richard Roberts.
1900 census (Scott Co.) indicates Emily had been married 39 years; mother of 8 children with 2 living in 1900.
[via Kim Hagy]
01 Apr 1901: Washington County, Virginia: Civil War Pension Application of wid. of Richard Poston... couple was m. 1860 in Smyth Co. Application dated 1 Apr 1901
Emily F. Poston, age 56, res. Big Cut, Scott Co., VA.
During the war, Richard Poston was detailed as artisan to make & repair wagons for Gen. John Floyd's Brigade.
Richard d. in 1900 in Scott Co., VA [struck by a freight train on the Va & SW Ry.] Entitlement of $25.00 per annum granted 8 April 1901.
265. i Mary V. Poston #25631, b. cir 1862.27
+ 266. ii Charles L. Poston #25632 b. Apr 04,1864.
267. iii Alexander Poston #25633, b. cir 1866.27
268. iv Elizabeth A. Poston #29508, b. Jan 28,1867 in Rich Valley, Virginia,5 County of: Smyth,12 d. Feb 24,1867 in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Virginia.12 Death register states: Elizabeth A. Poston died at age 27 days; (cause not stated); d/o Richd. & Elizabeth Poston; reported by father, Richard Poston. [p19; Ln56]. (*Note: a speculative entry as all previous info states wife of Richard Poston to be Emily).
269. v Ellen Frances Poston #25634, b. Dec 13,1868 in Rich Valley, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: Ellen (Poston); d/o Richard & Ellen Poston; birth reported by father.
270. vi Burnie A. Poston #29444, b. Mar 1872 in Rich Valley, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
173. Martha Poston #22719, b. cir 1839 in Virginia,25 County of: Smyth.25
She married Jezrul Harmon #22722, married Nov 10,1864 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1804 in Virginia,25 (son of Mathais Harmon #22725 and Mary ???? (Harmon) #22726) County of: Farmer in Smyth County, Virginia,25 County of: Wythe.25
271. i Joanvaline Harmon #22723, b. cir 1868 in Virginia,27 County of: Smyth.
272. ii Amanda Harmon #22724, b. cir 1869 in Virginia,27 County of: Smyth.
175. Hamilton Scott (Hamil) Poston #22721, b. Apr 7,1848,36 d. Jun 11,1929,36 buried in Elizabeth Cemetery. SCV: HAMIL POSTON, WHITE MALE, MARRIED TO ELLA POSTON, B. VA 07 APR 1849, D. 17 JUN 1929, S/O ISAAC POSTON, VA & NOT KNOWN, MRS. H. S. POSTON, INFORMANT (SALTVILLE, VA) (ISAAC POSTON MAR. JANE MILLER. â€“JH)
He married (1) Frances Elizabeth Roberts #29794, b. 1852, (daughter of George Roberts #29888 and Martha (Patsy) Pippin #29889) d. Mar 3,1891 in Smyth County, Virginia.
Frances: Death register of Smyth County, Virginia indicates; 03 Mar 1891, Frances E. Poston, died at age 39y of heart failure; d/o George & Martha Roberts; consort of H.S. Poston.
273. i Louisa V. Poston #29796, b. Nov 3,1873 in Virginia, County of: Smyth.
274. ii America Poston #33482, b. Feb 5,1879 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth. Birth register states: d/o Hamil S. & Elizabeth (Poston).[p148:Ln88]. America Poston and Andrew Wilson were married by G.W. Summers. The marriage register gives no information but Andrew Wilson was probably a brother of Jerome Wilson, husband of Martha Poston, America's sister.
She married Andrew J. Wilson #33483, married Jan 23,1900 in Smyth County, Virginia.32
275. iii Martha (Patsy) Poston #29795, b. Feb 1,1881 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.25 Marriage register states; Martha Poston was age 17, single on 01 Nov 1899; d/o Hamil Poston. Martha and Jerome Wilson were married by J.W. Louthian.
She married Jerome Wilson #29799, married Nov 1,1899 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1878 in Virginia,25 (son of B.C. Wilson #29797 and Mary ???? (Wilson) #29798) County of: Farmer in Smyth County, Virginia,25 County of: Smyth.25
Jerome: (Note: a probable relationship to the Andrew J. Wilson who married America Poston in Smyth County on 03 Jan 1900).
276. iv Margie Poston #33485, b. Apr 23,1887* in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth. Birth register states: Margie Poston was d/o H.S. & Elizabeth Poston. Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Margie Poston, age 11, born *Feb 1889; living with parents.[Hockett abstract].
277. v Harrison Poston #35361, b. Jan 1887 in Virginia,31 County of: Smyth.
+ 278. vi Benjamin H. Poston #57534 b. May 3 1888.
279. vii Alex Poston #33486, b. Feb 1889 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth, d. Nov 1894 in Smyth County, Virginia.12 Birth register states; Alex Poston was s/o H. Scott & Eliza Poston. Death register states: Alex Poston died at age 6 years of Croup; s/o H.S. & Elizabeth Poston.
He married (2) Ellen ???? (Poston) #33484, married 1892,31 b. Aug 1874*.31
Ellen: Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Etta Poston, age 25; married 8 years mother of 4 with 4 living. By 1910 census; mother of 8 with 7 living. (Note: In Elizabeth Cemetery, sharing a headstone with Hamel Scott Poston; is Ellen Mitchell; *05 Aug 1868 - 21 Jan 1945).
+ 280. viii Ora Poston #35327 b. Jun 22,1894*.
281. ix Rosa Poston #35328, b. Dec 1895 in Virginia,31 County of: Smyth, Buried: Elizabeth Cemetery, d. 1974.37 Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Rosa Poston, age 4, born Dec 1895; living with parents. Identified by headstone, near parents, as Rose Herbert, neâ€š Poston; 1896 - 1974.
282. x Pearl Poston #35329, b. Oct 1896 in Virginia,31 County of: Smyth.
283. xi Willie Poston #35330, b. Sep 1899 in Virginia,31 County of: Smyth.
284. xii Kelly R. Poston #35343, b. Sep 3,1902,37 Buried: Elizabeth Cemetery, d. Nov 27,1948.37
285. xiii Virginia Poston #35356, b. cir 1904 in Virginia,38 County of: Smyth.
286. xiv Nannie Poston #35357.
287. xv Elizabeth Poston #35358, b. cir 1909 in Virginia,38 County of: Smyth.
176. William H. Poston #22744, b. cir 1832.39
He married (1) Mary ???? (Poston) #29596, married cir 1853, b. cir 1834,39 d. bef Mar 30,1868.
288. i William L. Poston #29597, b. Dec 6,1855 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: William L. Poston; s/o William & Louisa Poston. [Ref: p1;Ln75]. 1870 census shows a William L. Poston, 16, living in the household of William H. & Mary Poston.
+ 289. ii Charles H. Poston #29599 b. May 1856.
290. iii Elias B. Poston #29552, b. 1858 in Smyth County, Virginia,5 Occupation: Mechanic, d. Aug 20,1892 in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Virginia.12 Death register states: Elias B. Poston died at age 34 of Flux; s/o W.H. & Mary Poston; consort of Rachel Poston; reported by mother, Mary Poston.[p98; Ln41] Elias lived only 10 days after the death of his wife.
He married12 Rachel Campbell #29553, b. in Smyth County, Virginia, (daughter of Charles C. Campbell #29554 and Susan C. Poston #29555) d. Aug 10,1892 in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Virginia.12
Rachel: Death register states: Rachel Poston died of flux; (not completely legible, in her 20s); d/o Charles & Susan Campbell; consort of E.B. Poston; reported by mother-in-law, Mary Poston.[p98; Ln40].
291. iv Nancy E. Poston #29600, b. 1860 in Virginia,25 County of: Smyth.25 Marriage register states; Nancy E. Poston was age 21, single on 02 Feb 1881; d/o Wm.H. & Mary E. Poston. Nancy and John Humphries were married by Jno. W. Louthian.
She married John M. Umphries #29698, married Feb 2,1881 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1861 in Virginia,25 (son of Charles Umphries #29696 and Susan ???? (Umphries) #29697) Occupation: Farmer in Smyth County, Virginia,25 County of: Smyth.25
John: Marriage register states; Jno. M. Umphries was age 20, single on 02 Feb 1881; s/o Chas. & Susan (Umphries).
292. v Susan J. Poston #29601, b. 1862 in Smyth County, Virginia.25 Marriage register states; Susan G. Poston was age 17, single on 08 Oct 1879; d/o W.H. & Mary Poston. Susan and Augustine Whitley were married by J.J. Louchian. (Note: a headstone in Elizabeth Cemetery states: Salley Whitely; 29 Aug 1861 - 08 Sep 1931).
She married Augustine S. Whitley/Whitely #29692, married Oct 8,1879 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1855 in Virginia,25 (son of William Whitley #29690 and Mary ???? (Whitley) #29691) County of: Smyth.25
Augustine: Marriage register states; Augustine Whitely was age 24, single, farmer; on 08 Oct 1879; s/o Wm. & Mary.
He married (2) Mary L. Harris #22753, married Mar 30,1868 in Smyth County, Virginia,6 b. cir 1835,6 (daughter of Henry Harris #29590 and Lucinda ???? (Harris) #29591).
Mary: Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Mary L. Poston, age 66; married 45 years; no children.
177. Thompson Poston #22742, b. cir 1833.6
He married (1) Nancy Harris #63552.
293. i Sarah F. Poston #63553, b. May 11,1858, d. May 6,1934 in Smyth County, Virginia. SCV, Rich Valley/Saltville: Sarah F. DeBORD, white female, widow of Wm., b. 11 May 1858, VA, 75y 11m 25d; d. 06 May 1934, d/o Thompson POSTON, VA & Nancy HARRIS, VA; Carl DeBORD, Saltville, VA
She married William Debord #63554.
He married28 (2) Emily ???? (Poston) #29368.
294. ii Calvin Poston #29369, b. Oct 10,1866 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
178. John M. Poston #22743, b. c 1842 in Virginia,25 County of: Farmer in Smyth County, Virginia,25 County of: Washington,25 d. May 27,1922. John M. Poston: #22743
04 Mar 1866 - Smyth County, Virginia - Marriage register lists the marriage of Jno.M. Poston, age 24; single; s/o Elias & Sarah; and Susan M. Scott, 16; b. Washington Co.; d/o Samuel & Eliza; by Wm. Sturgess.[p21;Ln23]
__ Apr 1884 - Smyth County, Virginia - Marriage register states: John M. Poston and Lou Harris: (names only, no information and no minister listed)[p65;Ln30]
19 Dec 1887 - Smyth County, Virginia - Marriage register states; John M. Poston, 47; widowed; b. Smyth Co.; s/o Elias & Sally; and Louisa A. Harris, 36; single; d/o Henry & Lucinda; by B.W.S. Bishop.[p72;Ln89]
__ ___ 1900 - Smyth County, Virginia - Census: John M. Poston, 60 (Nov 1839); Louisa, 46 (Sep 1853) wife, m. 16y m/o 8/6; Thos. W., 23 (May 1877) step-son; Mannie, 20 (Jun 1879) step-dau; John T., 14 (Aug 1885); H.Dent, 13 (Feb 1887); Maud, 11 (Oct 1888); Marcus, 7 (Sep 1892) [Hockett abstract].
He married (1) Susan M./W. Scott #22752, married Mar 4,1866 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. Oct 27,1849 in Rich Valley, Virginia,5 (daughter of Samuel Scott #52822 and Eliza ???? (Scott) #52823) County of: Washington,25 d. Dec 2,1882 in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Virginia.12
Susan: Identified by marriage register as Susan M. Poston, age 16, single, on 04 Mar 1866; b. Washington County, Virginia; d/o Samuel & Eliza (Scott). Susan and John Poston were married by Wm. Sturgess. Death register states: Susan W. Poston died at age 33y 1m 5d of consumption; "Illigetimate"; consort of John M. Poston; reported by husband, John M. Poston [p60; Ln14]. This statement of Susan being born out of wedlock leaves the question: was she d/o Samuel Scott, or Eliza ?.
295. i Infant Poston #29379, b. Dec 20,1868 in Walkers Mountain, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth,28 d. Dec 20,1868 in Walkers Mountain, Smyth County, Virginia.28 Birth register indicates a stillborn male infant; reported by Uncle, William Poston.
296. ii Benjamin L. Poston #29456, b. May 2,1876 in Rich Valley, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: Benjamin L. Poston; s/o John M. & Susan Poston; birth reported by father, John M. Poston (a laborer in Smyth Co.).[p126; Ln 97].
297. iii Unnamed Infant Poston #29583, b. Mar 8,1879 in Rich Valley, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: (Unnamed male) Poston; s/o Jno.M & Susan M. Poston. [p148; Ln89].
+ 298. iv James F. (Foot) Poston #29844 b. 1882.
He married (2) Louisa Ann Harris #29584, married Dec 19,1887 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1851 in Virginia,25 (daughter of Henry Harris #29590 and Lucinda ???? (Harris) #29591) County of: Smyth.25
Louisa: Marriage register states; Louisa A. Harris was age 36, single; on 19 Dec 1887; d/o Henry & Lucinda (Harris ?). Louisa and John Poston were married by B.W.S. Bishop. (*Note: Louisa's sister, Mary, was 2nd wife of John Poston's brother, William). Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Louisa Poston, age 46, born *Sep 1853; married 16 years; mother of 8 with 6 living. (Note: The Smyth County marriage register does not list the surname of parents, therefore the speculation that since Louisa was single, she was d/o Henry Harris).
299. v John T. Poston #35336, b. Aug 1885.31
300. vi H. Dent Poston #29585, b. Feb 1,1887 in Rich Valley, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: H. Vent Poston; s/o John M. & Louisa Poston.[p19;Ln103] (*Note: probably H."Dent" Poston). Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as H. Dent Poston, age 13, born Feb 1887; living with parents.
301. vii Maude Poston #29586, b. Oct 5,1888 in Rich Valley, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states; 05 Oct 1888, Maude Poston; d/o John M. & Louisa. [p23:Ln76]. Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Maude Poston, age 11, born Oct 1888; living with parents.
302. viii Mollie Mattie Poston #29588, b. Jun 1890 in Rich Valley, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth,28 d. Jul 1890 in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Virginia.12 Identified by birth register as Mattie Poston; d/o John M. & Lou Poston. Identified by death register as Mollie Poston; died at age 1 month; d/o John M. & Lou Poston.
+ 303. ix Marcus Scott (Mark) Poston #29589 b. Sep 1892.
180. Emily B. (Emma) Poston #22746, b. cir 1843*.6 Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Emma Poston, age 54, born Feb 1846; mother of 5 with 5 living; mother in law; in the household of Samuel Davidson.
304. i Anna (Emma) Poston #29769, b. Jan 1872 in Smyth County, Virginia.31 Marriage register states; Anna Poston was age 23, single on 30 Oct 1896; d/o Emily B. Poston. Anna and Samuel Davidson were married by D.E. Hank. [p97;Ln69]. Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Emma Davidson, age 28; married 5 years; mother of 1 with 0 living.
She married Samuel Davidson #29772, married Oct 30,1896 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1860 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 (son of James Davidson #29770 and Elizabeth ???? (Davidson) #29771) Buried: Smyth County, Virginia.
Samuel: Samuel was a widower when he married Anna Poston.
305. ii Della M. Poston #29792, b. 1877 in Virginia,25 County of: Smyth.25 Marriage register states; Della M. Poston was age 22, single, on 29 Nov 1899; d/o Emma B. Poston. Della and Thomas Chapman were married by Edward Vertegans.
She married Thomas Chapman #29793, married Nov 29,1899 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1875 in Virginia,25 (son of Joseph Chapman #17500 and Sarah (Sally) Phipps #17501) County of: Farmer in Smyth County, Virginia,25 County of: Smyth.25
Thomas: Marriage register states; Thomas Chapman was age 24, single on 29 Nov 1899; s/o Jos. & Sarah (Chapman).
306. iii Lou E. Poston #29837, b. 1881 in Virginia,25 County of: Smyth.25 Marriage register states; Lou E. Poston was age 21, single on 28 Dec 1904; d/o Emma Poston.
She married John Thomas #29840, married Dec 28,1904 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1881 in Virginia,25 (son of William Thomas #29838 and Nannie ???? (Thomas) #29839) County of: laborer in Smyth County, Virginia,25 County of: Smyth.25
307. iv Llewylan/Lewellen Poston #35325, b. Jan 1883.31 Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Lewellen Poston, age 17; brother in law; in the household of Samuel Davidson.
+ 308. v Leonard Poston #35326 b. Sep 1887.
182. Llewellyn Poston #22749, b. cir 1851.6
He married Elizabeth ???? (Poston) #29485.
309. i Unnamed female Poston #29486, b. Mar 28,1882 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
310. ii Unnamed female Poston #29487, b. Jun 19,1883 in Rich Valley, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth,28 d. Jun 19,1883 in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Virginia.12
183. Susan C. Poston #29555, b. Aug 7,1851 in Saltville, Washington County, Virginia, d. Aug 30,1924 in Smyth County, Virginia. SCV: SUSAN C. CAMPBELL, WHITE FEMALE, WIDOW OF CHARLES C. CAMPBELL, B. 07 AUG 1851, D. 0 AUG 1924, 73Y11M 28D, B. SALTVILLE, VA, D/O ELICE (ELIAS â€“JH) POSTEN, SMYTHE (SMYTH â€“JH) CO. VA & SALLIE BLITHER (SARAH BILLITER â€“JH), H. E. CAMPBELL, INFORMANT (RICH VALLEY, SALTVILLE) (1850C, SMYTH CO. VA, HH 125: POSTON, ELIAS, 40; SALLY, 38; THOMPSON, 17; JOHN, 11; RACHEL, 8; EMILY, 7; EDWIN, 4; SUSAN, 2).
She married Charles C. Campbell #29554.
311. i Rachel Campbell #29553, b. in Smyth County, Virginia, d. Aug 10,1892 in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Virginia.12 Death register states: Rachel Poston died of flux; (not completely legible, in her 20s); d/o Charles & Susan Campbell; consort of E.B. Poston; reported by mother-in-law, Mary Poston.[p98; Ln40].
She married12 Elias B. Poston #29552, b. 1858 in Smyth County, Virginia,5 (son of William H. Poston #22744 and Mary ???? (Poston) #29596) Occupation: Mechanic, d. Aug 20,1892 in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Virginia.12
Elias: Death register states: Elias B. Poston died at age 34 of Flux; s/o W.H. & Mary Poston; consort of Rachel Poston; reported by mother, Mary Poston.[p98; Ln41] Elias lived only 10 days after the death of his wife. (Note: My contention is Mary Poston was the present wife/widow(?) of William H. Poston and the step- mother of Elias B. Poston).
185. Stephen Hamil Scott #22693, b. Feb 7,1820 in Virginia,16 County of: Washington,16 Buried: Broadford, Smyth County, Virginia, d. Dec 2,1882 in Broadford, Smyth County, Virginia,12 buried in Roberts Cemetery. Death register states: Stephen H. Scott died at age 62y 10m 25d of pneumonia; s/o Peter & Rachel Scott; consort of Elizabeth H.N. Scott; reported by son, William P.M. Scott. (*Note: calculated date of birth = 07 Jan 1820). Smyth County, Virginia: Register of Deaths; Book 1; p60; Ln17]. (Death register also states place of birth as Broadford, Smyth County, VA).
He married Elizabeth Henry M. Campbell #22694, married Jun 6,1845 in Smyth County, Virginia,13 b. Oct 28,1821 in Virginia,16 (daughter of William Campbell #22695 and Sally Adams #22696) County of: Washington,16 Buried: Roberts Cemetery, d. Jan 28,1899.17
Elizabeth: Smyth County marriage register indicates the marriage bond of Elizabeth H.M. Campbell and Stephen H. Scott on 06 May 1845.[Marriage Register; p22a]. "History of Smyth County" states a marriage date of 07 Jun 1845. Identified by headstone as Elizabeth H.M. Scott; w/o Stephen H. Scott.
+ 312. i William P.M. Scott #22698 b. Mar 12,1846.
313. ii Charles Campbell Scott #22699, b. Oct 6,1848 in Virginia,16 County of: Farmer in Broad Ford, Smyth County, Virginia,16 County of: Smyth,12 Buried: Roberts Cemetery,18 d. Jul 18,1885 in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas.12 Death register states: Charles Campbell Scott died at age 38 of Malaria in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas; s/o S.H. & E.H.C. Scott; (no mention of wife); reported by brother, E.L. Scott.[Smyth County, Va: Register of Deaths; p72; Ln 48].
+ 314. iii Peter Alexander Scott #22700 b. May 1,1851.
315. iv Edward L. Scott #22701, b. Oct 27,1854* in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 (Note: "History of Smyth County states: born *21 Oct 1854).
316. v Lucretia J. Scott #22702, b. Sep 2,1857.16
317. vi Sallie C. Scott #22703, b. Aug 2,1860 in Virginia,16 County of: Smyth,12 Buried: Roberts Cemetery,18 d. Aug 9,1886 in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Virginia.12 Death register states: Sallie C. Scott died at age 26 of consumption; d/o Stephen H. & E.H.M. Scott; reported by brother, T.P. Scott.[p76; Ln45]. Identified by headstone as Sallie C. Scott; d/o S.H. & E.H.M. Scott. [Ref: Smyth County Virginia Cemeteries; Vol.I; Sturgill].
318. vii Rachel N. Scott #22704, b. Jun 13,1863 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 A twin.
319. viii John S. Scott #22705, b. Jun 13,1863 in Virginia,28 County of: teacher,12 County of: Smyth,28 Buried: Roberts Cemetery,18 d. Mar 17,1892 in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Virginia.12 Death register states: John S. Scott died at age 28 of consumption; s/o S.H. & E.H.M. Scott; teacher; death reported by brother, T.P. Scott.[p99; Ln52].
320. ix Theodore Pearson Scott #22706, b. Aug 17,1865 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
186. Narcissa Tarpaul P. Cecil #45492, b. Jun 15,1815,19 d. Apr 23,1887.19
She married James French Pendleton #45503, married Sep 3,1829,19 b. Jul 1,1805,19 d. Sep 12,1878.19
321. i Samuel Cecil Pendleton #45504, b. May 19,1834,19 d. Aug 28,1854.19
+ 322. ii Albert Gallatin Pendleton #45505 b. Feb 20,1836.
+ 323. iii John Strother Pendleton #45506 b. Oct 14,1838.
324. iv James French Pendleton Jr. #45507, b. Oct 24,1843,19 County of: Medical Doctor, d. Feb 2,1883.19
325. v Sallie Pendleton #45508.
+ 326. vi William Cecil Pendleton #45509 b. Jan 16,1847.
327. vii Edmund Piper Pendleton #45510.
189. William Poston Cecil #39047, b. Apr 9,1820,40 County of: Lawyer in Tazewell County, Virginia, d. Jul 12,1899.40
He married Isabella Chapman #45495, married Apr 19,1842,19 b. Jun 10 1818,19 d. cir 1890.19
328. i Mary Cecil #45496, b. Jul 5,1854.19
196. Priscilla C. Scott #29538, b. Jun 7,1820 in Virginia,17 County of: Smyth,12 Buried: Thomas Cemetery, d. Dec 1,1885 in Smyth County, Virginia.12 Marriage register indicates date of marriage 08 Jun,1841; marriage bond dated 02 Jun 1841(?)(this listing is under heading of year 1836).[page 6a of 1836]. Priscilla and Abijah Thomas were married by R. Ganaway. Death register states: P.C. Thomas died at age 65 of Heart Disease; d/o Mitchell Scott; married (husband unnamed); death reported by son-in-law, A.G. Pendleton.[p70; Ln48].
She married Abijah Praston Thomas #29539, married Jun 8,1841 in Smyth County, Virginia,13 b. May 21,1814,17 (son of Thomas Thomas #34178 and Freelove Cole #34179) Buried: Thomas Cemetery, d. Dec 1,1876.17
Abijah: Abijah is buried beside parents in Thomas Cemetery.
329. i Virginia A. Thomas #29670, b. 1840 in Virginia,25 County of: Smyth.25 Virginia and John Carter were married by Jas. T. Leftwich.
She married John D. Carter #29673, married Mar 14,1865 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1834 in Tennessee,25 (son of Martin B. Carter #29671 and Martha ???? (Carter) #29672) Occupation: Physician in Knox County, Tennessee,25 County of: Knox.25
+ 330. ii Aseneth W. Thomas #22707 b. 1848.
331. iii Mitchell W. Thomas #38971, b. 1849 in Virginia,22 County of: farmer in Smyth County, Virginia, County of: Smyth.
He married Margaret C. Smith #38972, married Dec 12,1873 in Washington County, Virginia,22 b. 1849 in Virginia,22 (daughter of Pleasant Smith #38973 and Mary Ann Nobles Carpenter #43708) County of: Washington.
332. iv Abijah Praston Thomas Jr. #61781, b. Jul 28,1857, d. Dec 9,1939. SCV, Marion: Abijah Praston THOMAS Sr., Crockett's Cove VA; white male, married to Eliza Agnes CROCKETT, b. 28 Jul 1857, SCV, 82y 4m 15d, s/o A. P. THOMAS, SCV & Priscilla SCOTT, SCV; A. P. THOMAS Jr. Wytheville, VA, inf.; bur. Wythe Co. VA; d. 09 Dec 1939.
He married Eliza Agnes Crockett #61782.
197. Edward A. Scott #29493, b. 1821 in Virginia,5 County of: Farmer in Smyth County, Virginia,12 County of: Smyth,12 d. Dec 5,1865 in near Marion, Smyth County, Virginia.12 E.A. Scott reported the death of father on 08 Sep 1858, Smyth Co., Virginia. Identified by Smyth County death register as: Edward A. Scott; died at age 44 of "Drubles" near Marion; s/o Mitchell & Seny Scott; born Smyth Co.; consort of Mary J. Davis; reported by Wm.M. Scott.[p15; Ln49].
He married Mary Jane Davis #29506, married May 18,1843 in Smyth County, Virginia.13
Mary: Smyth County marriage register indicates the marriage bond of Mary Jane Davis and Edward A. Scott on 18 May 1843.[Marriage Register; p18a].
333. i Virginia C. Scott #29881, b. cir 1849.41 Identified by 1850 Smyth County census as Virginia C. (Scott), age 1; living with parents in household of grandfather, Mitchell Scott.
198. Asenath Ann Scott #29879, b. cir 1830, Buried: Thomas Cemetery, d. Jul 10,1880.17 Identified by 1850 census as "Aninath A. (Scott), age 17; living in household of Mitchell Scott, 59. Smyth County, Virginia Marriage register shows the marriage bond; 10 Sep 1850 for Asseneth Ann Scott and William A. Jones. Identified by headstone as Asenath A. Jones; w/o Wm.A. Jones; aged 50 years; married 12 Sep 1850".[Ref: Smyth County Virginia Cemeteries; Vol.I; Sturgill].
She married William A. Jones #29880, married Sep 12,1850 in Smyth County, Virginia,36 b. 1825,17 Buried: Thomas Cemetery, d. Dec 11,1894.17
William: Headstone states; Wm. A. Jones; aged 69 years.[Ref: Smyth County Virginia Cemeteries; Vol.I; Sturgill].
334. i Infant Jones #34175, Buried: Thomas Cemetery, d. 1852.17 A twin. Identified by headstone as Infant Jones one place away from that of supposed parents, William A. & Asenath (Scott) Jones.
335. ii Infant Jones #34176, d. 1852. A twin. Identified by headstone as Infant Jones one place away from that of supposed parents, William A. & Asenath (Scott) Jones.
199. Sarah Elizabeth Scott #52983, b. 1828,42 d. aft 1870.43
She married James M. Scott #52978, married Nov 17,1846 in Smyth County, Virginia,44 b. cir 1824, (son of William Scott #52966 and Elizabeth (Betsy) Porter #52967).
336. i William M. Scott #52984, b. 1847.
He married Elizabeth Hale #52991, married Nov 9,1872 in Grayson County, Virginia,42 b. 1853.
337. ii Asenath Posten Scott #52985, b. 1852.42 Asenath & Samuel Wilson were married by W.W. Wilson.
She married Samuel W. Wilson #52990, married Aug 30,1871 in Smyth County, Virginia, b. 1849.42
338. iii Charles R. Scott #52986, b. 1854.
339. iv Edward J. Scott #52987, b. cir 1856 in Virginia.
340. v Hamill P. Scott #52988, b. 1865 in Virginia.42
341. vi Benton Thomas Scott #52989, b. 1865 in Virginia.42
214. John Sims Mathews #65118.
He married Nancy Eckels #65119.
342. i Daniel M. Mathews #65120.
220. Richard Johnson Poston #65133, b. May 02, 1844 in Overton County, Tennessee, d. Mar 27, 1919.
He married Nancy May Stewart #65134.
343. i Hiram Poston #65135, b. Apr 23, 1890 in Texas, d. Apr 15, 1898.
221. Huntsman Poston #65136, b. Aug 11, 1846 in Overton County, Tennessee.
He married Emeline Warden #65137.
344. i Hiram Poston #65138, b. Nov 11, 1871.
225. William McCain Gray #62190, b. Dec 1,1825 in Virginia,23 County of: Wythe, d. Feb 15,1896,23 buried in Green Spring Cemetery. 1870 WCV Census Hh#: 2/2 GRAY, Wm. N. [Wm. McCain], 44, farmer, $18000/$9300; Nancy [Nancy Jane Davis], 37, keeping house, TN; Robert H., 10; Francis, 14, [f], house servant; Banks A., 12, nurse; HOWINGTON, E. [or E. Howington Gray?], 21, b, labourer, NC.
He married Nancy Jane Davis #62191, married Mar 6,1856 in Washington County, Virginia, b. 1833-35 in Washington County, Virginia, (daughter of James L. Davis #62192 and Eveline J. ???? (Davis) #62193) d. 1909,23 buried in Green Spring Cemetery.
345. i Robert H. Gray #62194, b. 1860.
226. Robert Emmett Gray #50527, b. Jun 1,1837 in Washington County, Virginia,45 Buried: Washington County, Virginia, d. Mar 15,1902,23 buried in Green Spring Cemetery. Born 6 miles south of Abingdon, VA. Served in the Civil War; enlisted 1861 in Co. D, 1st VA Cav.; wounded at Dumfries, Va; captured at Gettsyburg & sent to Point Lookout where he escaped aft 3 months. ["Virginia and Virginians"; Dr. R.A. Brock (1888)].
He married Mary J. McChesney #50526, married Mar 17,1863 in Washington County, Virginia,22 b. May 2,1841 in Virginia,45 (daughter of Hugh Alexander McChesney #49238 and Julianna W. McChesney #49188) County of: Washington, Buried: Green Spring Cemetery, d. Jun 20,1920.23
346. i William Fred Gray #56752.
347. ii Grace Gray #56753.
348. iii Nellie Gray #56754.
349. iv David S. Gray #56755.
350. v Kate S. Gray #56756.
351. vi Bessie A. Gray #56757.
352. vii Robert McChesney Gray #56758.
227. Charles Poston Gray #33467, b. Apr 10 1845 in Virginia,21,46 County of: Washington,21 d. Jan 17 1921,21,46 buried in Bethel Cemetery (252).
He married Corrina Catherine Duff #33468, married Nov 13,1865 in Washington County, Virginia,22 b. Apr 23 1845 in Virginia,21,46 (daughter of Thomas Jefferson Duff #31233 and Ann Elizabeth (Betsey) Spraker Ketron #31234) County of: Washington,21 d. Dec 08 1895,21,46 buried in Bethel Cemetery (252).
Corrina: Catherine & Charles P. Gray were married by Benjamin Gildersleeve.
+ 353. i Mary Elizabeth Josephine Gray #33469 b. Jul 24 1870.
235. Ada Poston #34199, b. Jul 1865.31
She married ???? Tudkins #34200.
354. i Edward Tudkins #34201, b. Oct 1890.31
250. Robert G. Grogan #55313, b. Sep 19,1852 in Virginia, d. Dec 4,1931 in Washington County, Virginia, buried in Emory, Washington County, Virginia. WCV, Meadowview: Robert GROGAN, white male, married to Mary RHOTEN GROGAN, b. 10 Sep 1852, RCV, 79y 2m 24d, d. 04 Dec 1931, s/o Allen GROGAN, VA & Isabell POSTON, VA; bur. Emory, VA (1850c, WCV, HH 2042: GROGAN, Allen, 21, wagonmaker, with WARREN, George, 27; Catherine V., 24; Salena, 2).
He married Mary Bickley Rhoten #55312, married cir 1878,47 b. Aug 2,1863 in Virginia, (daughter of Ezekiel B. Rhoten #24968 and Eliza Bailey #24969) County of: Lee, d. Jan 25,1946 in Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, buried in Emory, Virginia.
Mary: Identified by 1910 census as married 32y; m/o 11/8.
+ 355. i Emory A. Grogan #55314 b. 1884.
356. ii Frank S. Grogan #59692, b. cir 1889 in Virginia.47
357. iii Belle E. Grogan #59693, b. cir 1892 in Virginia.47
358. iv Nora Grogan #59694, b. cir 1896 in Virginia.47
359. v Annie M. Grogan #59695, b. cir 1899 in Virginia.47
360. vi Grace B. Grogan #58125, b. cir 1902 in Virginia.48
361. vii Malcom H. Grogan #58126, b. cir 1905 in Virginia.48
251. Isaac C. Grogan #12930, b. c 1855 in Tazewell County, Virginia, Occupation: wagon mechanic in Washington County, Virginia. Marriage Register states: Isaac was age 25, single, cabinet maker on 09 Mar 1881; s/o Allen & Isabella Grogen. Marriage Register states: Isaac C. Grogan was age 61, widowed, mechanic on 08 Aug 1917; s/o Allen & Isabella Grogan. (*Note:this entry also indicates Isaac was born in Smyth County, Virginia). 1910 Census states: Isaac C. Grogan was age 29;married 29 years; 1st marriage.
He married (1) Rhoda Ellen Rhoten #12931, married Mar 9,1881 in Washington County, Virginia,22 b. Feb 12,1856 in Scott County, Virginia,23 (daughter of Ezekiel B. Rhoten #24968 and Eliza Bailey #24969) d. Mar 27,1915,23 buried in Smyth's Chapel Cemetery.
Rhoda: Marriage Register states: Rhoda was age 23, single on 09 Mar 1881; d/o Ezekiel & Eliza Rhoten. Rhoda and Isaac were married by A.F. Cumbo. Identified by 1900 census as Rhoda E. Grogan, age 44; married 19 years; mother of 7 with 7 living. 1910 Census states: Rhoda E. Grogan was age 54; married 29 years; 1st marriage mother of 8 with 7 living.
+ 362. i Etha Viola Grogan #12926 b. Feb 16,1882.
363. ii Chilton B. Grogan #13556, b. Oct 1883 in Virginia.49
364. iii Robert A. Grogan #13557, b. Nov 1885 in Virginia.49
365. iv Lakie G. Grogan #13558, b. Mar 1887 in Virginia.49 Identified in 1910 census as Lakie G. Grogan, age 8.
366. v Henry S. Grogan #13559, b. Jul 1891 in Virginia.49
367. vi Maurice E. Grogan #13560, b. Dec 1893 in Virginia.49
368. vii Lottie M. Grogan #13561, b. Jun 1896 in Virginia.49
369. viii Emerson G. Grogan #27756, b. cir 1901 in Virginia.47
He married (2) Ethel May Keller #26362, married Aug 8,1916 in Washington County, Virginia,22 b. 1870 in Virginia,22 County of: Washington.
Ethel: Marriage Register states: Ethel May Snyder was age 46, widow on 08 Aug 1916; d/o L.J. & ___ Keller. Ethel and Isaac Grogan were married by G.C. Rector.
253. Susan V. Poston #25611, b. cir 1860.27
She married John H. Musselwhite #25627, married Sep 16,1885 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1846 in Virginia,25 (son of Worley Howard Musselwhite #25625 and Mary Scott #52812) Buried: Smyth County, Virginia.
370. i Nannie L. Musselwhite #29570, b. Aug 25,1893 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: Nannie L. Musselwhite; d/o John H. & Sue V. Musselwhite birth reported by father (a mechanic in Smyth County).[p58; Ln89].
255. James Harrison Poston #25613, b. Sep 9,1863 in Smyth County, Virginia,22 d. Dec 25,1931 in Marion, Smyth County, Virginia. Found in 1920 Mercer County, West Virginia census living next door to supposed brother, Manning Poston. J.H. Poston, 45; Eliza, 45; L.N., 29 son; Bert, 21, son; Virginia, 12, dau.
SCV, Marion: James Harrison POSTON, white male, married to Elizabeth POSTON, bookkeeper, b. 09 Sep 1863, 68y 3m 16d, d. 25 Dec 1931, s/o William POSTON, Saltville, VA & Elizabeth POSTON, Olympia, VA.
He married Elizabeth B. (Lizzie) Montgomery #25617, married Jul 18,1889 in Washington County, Virginia,22 b. Jul 7,1859 in Virginia, (daughter of Lilburn B. Montgomery #18825 and Caroline Witt/Whitt #25616) d. Jul 30,1939, buried in Round Hill Cemetery.
Elizabeth: Identified by 1860 Washington County census as age 11 months. Identified by 1870 census as Elizabeth Montgomery, age 12. Identified by 1880 census as Lizzie Montgomery, age 20. 1900 census indicates Lizzie B. Poston was born Sep 1863; married 10 years, mother of 5 children with 4 living in 1900.
371. i L. Montgomery Poston #25618, b. Apr 1890.6
He married Helen G. Feuntermacher #25623, married Dec 22,1921 in Mercer County, West Virginia,6 b. 1898 in New York.6
372. ii Fred S. Poston #25619, b. Aug 17,1891 in Virginia,24 County of: Washington.24
373. iii Caroline P. (Carrie) Poston #25620, b. Nov 4,1893 in Virginia,24 County of: Washington,24 d. Dec 17,1893 in Abingdon, Washington County, Virginia.50 Caroline P. Poston, died at age 1m 13d of Croup in Abingdon, VA; d/o J.H. & L.L. Poston.
She married Lee Inman #25624, married Aug 9,1911 in Sullivan County, Tennessee.6
374. iv James S. Poston #25621, b. Apr 1895,6 d. Dec 11,1914 in Princeton, Mercer County, West Virginia. James S. Poston: #25621
(Via Kim Hagy)
OBIT: "Bluefield Daily Telegraph", Sat., Dec. 12, 1914, Front Page--
"PRINCETON YOUTH SHOOTS RIVAL AND COMMITS SUICIDE--No Quarrel Preceded Tragedy Enacted in Front of Home of Their Sweetheart.--HAD INTENDED TO KILL GIRL, ALSO, LETTERS SHOW--James Poston and Oppie Chambers Walked Together to Call on Miss Karnes But When Gate Was Reached, Former Began to Shoot--Mother of Dead Youth Prostrated.--
The dramatic episode of two young rivals in a romantic little courtship walking together, chatting pleasantly on the way, to the home of their sweetheart, culminating at the threshold in an attempt at murder and a suicide and without a single word in quarrel, was the tragedy staged in Princeton last night which plunged three homes in the depths of anguish and remorseful gloom and awoke the city to its greatest sensation of years, when James Posten shot and wounded Oppie Chambers and then sent a bullet speeding through his own heart, that killed him instantly.
Poston was the son of J.H. Poston, Chambers is the son of J.F. Chambers and the young girl about whom the tragedy entwines is Miss Minnie Karnes, the seventeen-year-old daughter of Robert Karnes, all the families being among the most prominent of the county seat.
According to a Princeton report at a midnight hour, after a coroner's jury had been hastily summoned to inquire into the case, for a year young Poston, nineteen years of age, had been devoting his attentions to Miss Karnes, and judging from his shocking deed of last night had become wildly enamoured of her. Sometime since young Chambers, seventeen years of age, also began to pay Miss Karnes some attentions, but apparently it was never dreamed by him that this fact had aroused the jealously [sic] of Poston.
Yesterday afternoon Poston entered the Stag Store in Princeton where Chambers was clerking and invited the latter to attend the show with him last night. Chambers replied that he had a previous engagement, whereupon Poston laughingly remarked that he knew where he was headed for. This conversation was of a jovial nature and the young men parted. At an early hour in the evening Chambers boarded a street car in the east end of the city and started to the home of Miss Karnes, who resides in the west end suburbs of the city. Getting off the car opposite the court house he started on his way to the Karnes home, when he was hailed by Poston, who said he was going to the Karnes home too, and so they would go together. Chambers agreed and the young men conversed gleefully along the way until the yard gate to the Karnes home was reached, when Poston is alleged to have brought his companion to a halt by suggesting that they not go into the house. Chambers replied that he proposed to call, when the story is told that Poston warned him if he did he would kill him. Chambers apparently considered the threat a joke and proceeded toward the house, Poston lingering at the gate, and when Chambers was on the first step Poston true to his threat, shot but no more than broke the hide of Chambers' left arm, below the elbow. He then fired at Chambers twice more, as he attempted to escape into the house, the last shot breaking the glass in the door as Chambers grasped its knob.
Mr. Karnes had been aroused and both he and Chambers were wrenching at the door knob when the last shot rang out. Mr. Karnes was warned by Chambers of the danger he was in, whereupon Mr. Karnes made a break for the back door and ran to a neighbor's house, where there was a telephone, to call the police.
During this lapse of time Earl Bailey, a nearby neighbor, rushed over to the Karnes home to inquire into the cause of the shooting, when he staggered upon Poston's prostrate body on the sidewalk by the gateway. He raised Poston's head up and saw he was dead.
The news of the tragedy spread over the town with a flash and an hour had hardly elapsed after the occurrence at 8:30 o'clock before a coronor's jury was sitting on the case to investigate and render a decision as to the manner in which Poston came to his death. Chambers related the story of his and his rival's love romance with Miss Karnes and the various incidents up to the time of the fatal hour. Mr. Karnes' story was heard and Dr. James Vermillion, who dressed Chambers' wound, testified. Also, according to report, members of the coroner's jury found letters in young Poston's pockets which indicated that it had been the intention of Poston to take the girl's life and then take his own life, but by the mere chance of fortune it seems probable that Chambers aside escaping with his own life proved the means of saving the girl's. The coroner's jury adjourned until Monday morning until 10 o'clock, when further testimony will be heard.
It was a rumor in Princeton afterwards that Mr. Karnes had forbidden Poston calling on his daughter.
The Poston family removed from Marion, Va., to Princeton about one year ago. The mother of young Poston is prostrated from grief and at an early hour this morning was under the care of a physician."
"Bluefield Daily Telegraph", Sun., Dec. 13, 1914, Sec. 1, page 5--"Poston Funeral This Afternoon--The grievous tragedy of Friday night which occurred at this place and an account of which appeared in yesterday's Telegraph, has cast a gloom over the community and especially among the younger people. The families of all concerned have the deepest sympathy of the entire city. The remains of young James Poston, the unfortunate victim of his own act, will be laid away this afternoon in the city cemetery, just two hundred yards west of the spot where he shot himself to death."
375. v Bertrum Poston #25622, b. Jun 1897.6
376. vi Virginia Poston #35574, b. cir 1908.51
262. Worley Morgan Poston #57506, b. Oct 24,1877 in Virginia, County of: Insurance agt., County of: Smyth, Buried: Resthaven Park Cemetery, d. Dec 9,1968 in Princeton, West Virginia. Worley Morgan Poston: #57506
[Via Kim Hagy]
Mercer Co., WV MR3:55:7--Worley M. Poston and J. Pauline Karnes were married 17 July 1912 by P.M. Baber. Register states Worley was 35, single, born in Smith Co., VA and residing in Princeton.
Mercer Co., WV DR11(L-R):27:10--Worley Morgan Poston, male, widowed, age 91, died 9 Dec 1968 at Princeton Memorial Hospital. Occupation listed as "ret. agent insurance." Cause of death listed as apoplexy, contributing factor: hypertension. Register lists birth as 24 Oct 1877 in Virginia to William Poston and Elizabeth Poston. Body was released to Geo. W. Seaver III, funeral director, for burial on 11 Dec 1968 at Resthaven Park Cemetery. Certifying physician was Frank J. Holroyd, informant was Francis Lilly. Certificate filed 17 Dec 1968 by Frances L. Doughten, registrar.
OBIT: "Bluefield Daily Telegraph", Tues., Dec. 10, 1968, p. 2
"W. M. Poston Dies Of Stroke--Worley M. Poston of 1412 North Walker St., Princeton, died Monday in a Princeton hospital following a stroke.
He was a retired businessman who had worked for Ritter Lumber Co., a wholesale grocery in Princeton, the West Virginia State Road Commission, and recently had operated the Poston Insurance Co. He was a member of Masonic Lodge 134 and had served as past master of the lodge. He was a member of the Royal Arch Chapter 44 in Princeton, and a member of the Bluefield Commandery 19 Knights of Templar. He had been a member of Beni Kedem Shrine Temple in Charleston, and the other organizations for 50 years. He was also a charter member of the Princeton Rotary Club and the Princeton Elks Club No. 1459.
He was a graduate of the University of Kentucky in 1921. He was born in Smyth County, Va., a son of the late William and Elizabeth Poston and was preceded in death by his wife, Pauline Karnes Poston, in 1961.
Survivors include one daughter, Mrs. John (Francis) Lilly of Princeton, with whom he made his home; one son, William K. Poston of Bluefield, and two grandsons.
Funeral services will be conducted Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. at the George W. Seaver Chapel in Princeton with Rev. Paul Carter and Rev. Yandell Page officiating. Burial will follow in Rest Haven Park Cemetery.
Members of the Princeton Elks Lodge 134 will be pallbearers and conduct graveside rites. Honorary pallbearers will be members of the Princeton Elks Club, Princeton Rotary Club and the Princeton Old Guard.
Friends may call at the mortuary from 2:30 to 9:30 p.m. today."
He married Janie Pauline Karnes #57507, married Jul 17,1912 in Mercer County, West Virginia,52 b. May 5,1890 in Princeton, West Virginia,53 (daughter of George L. Karnes #57508 and Esther Frances ???? (Karnes) #57509) County of: Mercer, Buried: Resthaven Park Cemetery, d. Oct 11,1961 in Mercer County, West Virginia.53
Janie: Janie Pauline Karnes: #57507
[Via Kim Hagy]
Mercer Co., WV DR10:131:14--Pauline Karnes Poston, female, married, died 11 October 1961 at age 71. Cause of death listed as "apoplexy". Register lists Pauline as born 5 May 1890 in Princeton to Georte [as written] Karnes and Esther Karnes. Body was released to Geo. W. Seaver for burial in Resthaven on 13 Oct 1961. Certifying physician was Frank Holroyd, informant was Worley M. Poston. Certificate filed 28 Oct 1961 by Frances L. Doughen, registrar.
OBIT: "Bluefield Daily Telegraph", Thurs., Oct. 12, 1961, p. 2
"Mrs. Poston Of Princeton Dies--
"Mrs. W. M. Poston, 205 Center St., Princeton, died Wednesday in Memorial Hospital in Princeton, following a stroke suffered at her home Tuesday.
She was a life-long resident of the Princeton area, daughter of the late George L. and Esther Frances Carnes. She was a member of the First Baptist Church, the Delphian Club, and the Matthew French Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
She was educated at Virginia Intermont College, Bristol, Va., Martha Washington College, Abingdon, Va., and Madison Hall Seminary, Washington, D.C.
Survivors include her husband, Worley M. Poston of Princeton; one son, William K. Poston of Bluefield; one daughter, Mrs. Frances Poston Lilly of Princeton; two sisters, Mrs. W. Howe Bailey of Phoenix, Ariz., and Mrs. O.E. Susong of Princeton; and two grandchildren.
Funeral services will be conducted Friday at 2:30 p.m. at the George W. Seaver Memorial Mortuary in Princeton, with Dr. L.B. Huston officiating and burial in Resthaven Cemetery.
The body will remain at the funeral home, where friends may call after 2 p.m. Thursday."
+ 377. i William Karnes Poston #57510 b. Jun 9,1913.
378. ii Frances Elizabeth Poston #57511, b. Oct 25,1921 in Princeton, West Virginia,54 County of: Mercer.
She married John William Lilly #57512, married Nov 20,1944 in Mercer County, West Virginia,55 b. 1920 in Athens, West Virginia.55
263. Manning Hufford Poston #35324, b. Jan 1881 in Saltville, Virginia,31 County of: Smyth, Buried: Resthaven Park Cemetery, d. Jun 7,1964 in Princeton, Mercer County, West Virginia.56 Manning H. Poston: #35324
(Via Kim Hagy)
Mercer Co., WV MR9:47:17--Manning H. Poston and Vivian Bruce were married on 16 Oct 1911 by T. G. Hamilton. Register lists Manning as 30, single, born Smythe Co., VA, and residing in Princeton.
Mercer Co., WV DR10:213:12--Manning Hufford Poston, 83, male, white, widowed, died 7 Jun 1964 of broncho pneumonia. Born in Smythe Co., VA on 5 Jan 1881 to Wm. Poston and Mary E. Scott. Occupation listed as retired salesman. Certifying physician was F.C. Goodall, and informant listed as Scott M. Poston. Body was released to George W. Seaver III, funeral director, for burial in Resthaven Cemetery on 9 Jun 1964. Certificate filed 30 Jun 1964 by Frances Doughten, Registrar.
OBIT: "Bluefield Daily Telegraph", Mon., June 8, 1964, p. 2
"Manning H. Poston, 83, of 107 Mahood Ave., Princeton, died Sunday in Memorial Hospital after a long illness.
He was a member of the Princeton Old Guard and the First Methodist Church and had been a resident of Princeton since 1916.
He was a native of Smyth County, Va., son of the late William and Mrs. Mary Scott Poston.
Survivors include two sons, Scott Poston of Princeton and Manning Poston of Norman, Okla., one brother, Worley M. Poston of Princeton, and ten grandchildren.
Funeral services will be conducted at Seaver Mortuary in Princeton Tuesday at 11 a.m. with Rev. Willard Jenkins officiating and burial in Resthaven Cemetery.
Friends may call at the funeral home after 3:30 p.m. today."
He married Vivian Naff Bruce #35571, married Oct 16,1911 in Mercer County, West Virginia, b. Jul 14,1885 in Virginia,57 (daughter of Greenville D. Bruce #57516 and Nannie Stafford #57517) County of: Bland,57 Buried: Resthaven Park Cemetery, d. Jul 29,1942 in Mercer County, West Virginia.57
379. i Emily E. Poston #35572, b. cir 1913 in Bluefield, West Virginia,51 County of: Mercer.
She married Kenneth Daney Swope #57518, married Jul 3,1940 in Mercer County, West Virginia,55 b. 1909 in Alderson, West Virginia, (son of ???? Swope #57520 and Carrie Morris #57519).
380. ii Manning Hufford Poston Jr. #35573, b. 1920 in Princeton, West Virginia,51 County of: Mercer. Identified by 1920 Mercer County census as M.H. Poston Jr, age 6/12. Identified in fathers obituary as resident of Norman, Oklahoma.
He married Nansie Graves Bird #57521, married Jul 20,1944 in Mercer County, West Virginia,55 b. 1919 in Princeton, West Virginia, (daughter of Ben W. Bird #57522 and Elizabeth Ball #57525) County of: Mercer.
+ 381. iii Scott Morgan Poston #57515 b. Jan 22,1920.
266. Charles L. Poston #25632, b. Apr 04,1864,27 d. Jan 13,1927 in Scott County, Virginia, buried in Peters Cemetery. Scott Co VA: Chas. L. PASTON (Poston), wh m, mar to Jane PASTON, b 04 Apr 1864, SCV, 63y 9m 9d, d 13 Jan 1927, s/o Richard PASTON, SCV & Emily EPPERSON, SCV, J. H. (F.?) PASTON, Gate City, VA, inf, bur Peters Cem
He married Iona (Onie) Peters #25635, married cir 1885, b. Jan 1874.58
Iona: 1900 census of Scott County, Virginia indicates Onie Poston had been married 5 years; mother of 3 children with 3 living in 1900.[Hockett abstract].
382. i John Poston #25636, b. Jul 1886.58
383. ii Nannie Poston #25637, b. Feb 1897.58
384. iii Fleet Poston #25638, b. Apr 1898.58
385. iv Nat Poston #25639, b. Oct 1899 in Virginia,58 County of: Scott.59
He married Lola Williams #32261, married Dec 20,1932 in Washington County, Virginia,59 b. 1906,59 (daughter of Reece (Rice) Williams #32259 and Emily Lane #32260).
278. Benjamin H. Poston #57534, b. May 3 1888 in Virginia,5 Buried: Resthaven Park Cemetery, d. Dec 7,1927 in Nemours, Mercer County, West Virginia.60 Benjamin H. Poston: #57534
[Via Kim Hagy]
Mercer Co., WV DR4:182:3--Benjamin H. Poston, white male, born in VA, died 7 Dec 1927 from heart failure at age 39 years 7 months 4 days. Occupation listed as "Mfg. Black Powder." Informant listed as M. R. Walker, Registrar.
OBIT: "Bluefield Daily Telegraph", Thurs., Dec. 8, 1927, p. 4
"B.H. POSTON DIES OF HEART ATTACK--Nemours Man, an Employe [sic] of Powder Company, Is Well Known in Region: Dies While on Way to Doctor--Heart trouble caused the death of B.H. Poston, of Nemours, yesterday morning about 9:30 o'clock, according to statements of physicians to Sheriff G.H. Crumpecker, who was called to Pocahontas, Va., together with 'Squire W.W. McNeal, of Bluefield, for the purpose of holding an inquest over the body. The officers decided there was no need for an inquest after investigation.
Shortly after he had left a group at a Nemours grocery store to get a drink of water at a spring nearby, Poston was seen to be staggering across the railroads [sic] tracks. Persons at the grocery store rushed to his assistance, and he was just able to tell one of them to get him to a doctor quickly. An automobile was secured, and several men started to speed toward Bluestone with Poston, but he died on the way. The body was taken to Pocahontas where physicians concurred in the opinion that heart failure was the cause of death. Sheriff Crumpecker was called and responded immediately.
Poston is survived by his widow, who was formerly Miss Hattie Carter and to whom he was married September 1, 1914, six children, Louise, Harry, George, Ireline [sic: Arleen], Margaret and Garley May: his father, Hamilton Poston, of Saltville, Va., and three sisters, Mrs. Grayson Compton, of Falls Mills; Mrs. Martha Wilson, of Bluefield, and Mrs. Andy Wilson, of Smyth county, Va.
Poston had been in the employ of the DuPont Power [sic: Powder] company at Nemours, for the past eleven years.
Funeral arrangements had not been completed late last night."
He married Hattie E. Carter #57535, married Sep 1,1914.61
386. i Alice Louise Poston #57536, b. cir 1911 in Virginia. See Mercer County, WV Birth Register 5:166:17.
She married Hobert Sexton #58363, married Apr 10,1932 in Mercer County, West Virginia, b. cir 1911 in Virginia.
387. ii Harry Poston #57537.
388. iii George William Poston #57538, b. Oct 3,1918 in Nemours, Virginia,62 County of: Mercer.
He married Dorothy Henderson #57542, married Aug 30,1941 in Mercer County, West Virginia,63 b. 1922 in Coopers, West Virginia.
389. iv Arleen Poston #57539, b. Sep 19,1919 in Nemours, Virginia,62 County of: Mercer.
390. v Margaret Marie Poston #57540, b. 1924 in Nemours, Virginia, County of: Mercer.
She married William Wade Richardson #57543, married Sep 2,1943 in Bluefield, Mercer County, West Virginia,55 b. 1916 in Bluefield, West Virginia, County of: Mercer.
391. vi Garley May Poston #57541.
280. Ora Poston #35327, b. Jun 22,1894* in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth,28 Buried: Elizabeth Cemetery, d. Aug 8,1946.37 Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Ora Poston, age 6, born *Jun 1893; living with parents. Identified by headstone as Ora Bryant, neâ€š Poston; 22 Jun 1894 - 08 Aug 1946; wife of Henry M. Bryant. (Another possible child, from headstone in Elizabeth Cemetery next to Ora (Poston) Bryant, is Joseph H. Bryant, born 30 Aug 1913; (no date of death on headstone).
She married Henry M. Bryant #35331, b. Aug 29,1888,37 d. Oct 19,1980.37
392. i Rosa L. Bryant #35332, b. Jul 7,1918,37 Buried: Elizabeth Cemetery, d. Aug 19,1918.37 Identified by headstone as d/o H.M. & Ora Bryant.
289. Charles H. Poston #29599, b. May 1856 in Virginia,31 County of: Farmer in Smyth County, Virginia,25 County of: Smyth.25
He married Mary Wyoma (Wyoming) Campbell #29602, married Jun 27,1877 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. Jan 1861 in Virginia,31 (daughter of William T. Campbell #45627 and Nancy ???? (Campbell) #45628) County of: Smyth.25
Mary: Marriage register states; Wyoma Campbell was age 16, single on 27 Jun 1877; d/o W.T. & Nancy (Campbell). Wyoming and Charles H. Poston were married by James C. Campbell. Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Wyoming Poston, age 39; married 23 years; mother of 10 with 9 living.
393. i William T. Poston #29603, b. cir 1878.64 William was not listed with family in 1900 census. He was possibly the William Poston, age 22, born May 1878; with wife, Earl, age 19, born Aug 1880; married less than 1 year in 1900 census of Smyth County, Virginia.
394. ii Charles R. Poston #29604, b. Nov 12,1879 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: Charles R. Poston; s/o Chas.H. & Mary W. Poston. [p148;Ln90]. Identified by 1880 Smyth County census as Charles R. Poston, age 7/12. Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as C. Ross (? Ron) Poston.
395. iii Nancy (Nannie) Poston #29605, b. May 27,1881 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: Nancy Poston; d/o Charles H. & Wyoming Poston. [p165;Ln77]. Marriage register states; Nannie Poston was age 18, single on 20 Dec 1899; d/o Chas.H. & Wyoma (Poston). Nancy and William Call were married by William McReynolds.
She married William F. Call #29800, married Dec 20,1899 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1875 in Virginia,25 County of: Farmer in Smyth County, Virginia,25 County of: Smyth.25
William: Marriage register states; Wm F. Call was age 24, single on 20 Dec 1899; s/o R. C. & C.E. (Call).
396. iv Rachel Emma Poston #29606, b. Jun 6,1883 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: Rachel Emma Poston; d/o Charles H. & Wyoming Poston. [p179;Ln80]. Marriage register states; Rachel E. Poston was age 18, single on 13 Nov 1901; d/o Chas. H. & Wyoming (Poston); married by J.M. Dunnwing(?).
She married Thomas W. Harris #29807, married Nov 13,1901 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1877 in Virginia,25 (son of John M. Harris #29890 and Lou ???? (Harris) #30915) County of: Farmer in Smyth County, Virginia,25 County of: Smyth.25
Thomas: Thomas Harris was son of John M. Harris(?).
[Ref: Marriage Register of Smyth County, Virginia; p114;Ln7]. (*Note: Penmanship in marriage register is illegible; verify surname from another source).
397. v Nellie Poston #29607, b. Apr 1886 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states; Nellie Poston; d/o Chas. H. & Wyoming Poston.[p10;Ln95].
398. vi Mary L. Poston #29609, b. 1889 in Virginia,5 County of: Smyth, d. Aug 2,1892.12 Death register states: Mary L. Poston; died at age 3y of Flux; d/o C.H. & Wyoming Poston.
399. vii John Harrison Poston #29608, b. Mar 1891* in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: John H Poston; s/o Chas.H. & Wyoming Poston.[p47;Ln101] Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as John H. Poston, age 9, born *Nov 1890.
400. viii James Thornton Poston #35319, b. Jun 1892 in Virginia,31 County of: Smyth.
401. ix Jeremiah E. Poston #35320, b. Nov 1895 in Virginia,31 County of: Smyth.
+ 402. x Zephaniah Jackson Poston #35321 b. Dec 26,1898.
298. James F. (Foot) Poston #29844, b. 1882 in Virginia, County of: Smyth.25 Marriage register states; Jas. F. Poston was age 23, single on 25 Dec 1905; s/o Jno. M. & Ann (Poston).
He married Mattie Clark #29845, married Dec 25,1905 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1884 in Virginia,25 (daughter of Allen Clark #29846 and Clara ???? (Clark) #29847) County of: Smyth.25
Mattie: Marriage register states; Mattie Clark was age 21, single on 25 Dec 1905; d/o Allen & Clara (Clark); married by J.M. Romans.
403. i George Allen Poston #32372, b. 1907.65
He married Fannie G. Stoots #32375, married Jul 15,1927 in Smyth County, Virginia,65 b. 1906,65 (daughter of William A. Stoots #32373 and Alice ???? (Stoots) #32374).
404. ii John James Poston #32342, b. 1912.66
He married Mary Bell Robinson #32343, married Jul 17,1937 in Smyth County, Virginia,66 b. 1918,66 (daughter of Roy Robinson #32344 and Omie Wyatt #32345).
405. iii Ola Jane Poston #32347, b. 1914.66
She married Frank Sullins #32346, married May 18,1936 in Smyth County, Virginia,66 b. 1902,66 (son of David Sullins #17426 and Martha Evitt #18629).
406. iv Clara Annie Poston #59842, b. Aug 25 1908.67
303. Marcus Scott (Mark) Poston #29589, b. Sep 1892 in Rich Valley, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28 Birth register states: Mark S. Poston; s/o John M. & Lou Poston.[p54;Ln81]. Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Marcus Poston, age 7, born Sep 1892; living with parents.
He married68 Annie H. ???? (Poston) #32456, b. cir 1899 in North Dakota.69
407. i Lionel M. Poston #32457, b. cir 1915 in Canada.68 1920 census indicates age 4 7/12.
308. Leonard Poston #35326, b. Sep 1887.31 Identified by 1900 Smyth County census as Leonard Poston, age 12; brother in law in household of Samuel Davidson.
He married Mary ???? (Poston) #35337, b. cir 1895.70
408. i Lelian Poston #35338, b. cir 1919.70 Identified by 1920 Smyth County census as Liliar Posron, age 9/12; daughter; in household of Leonard & Mary Poston.
312. William P.M. Scott #22698, b. Mar 12,1846 in Virginia,16 County of: Farmer in Broad Ford, Smyth County, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.25 William was a veteran of the Civil War; a member of Lowry's Battery of McLaughlin's Artillery, Wharton's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia; from March 1864 to the close of the war. Marriage register states Wm.P.M. Scott was age 30, single, Farmer; b. Smyth County, Virginia; s/o S.H. & Elizabeth H. (Scott).[p45;Ln27].
He married Aseneth W. Thomas #22707, married Jun 8,1876 in Smyth County, Virginia,25 b. 1848 in Virginia,25 (daughter of Abijah Praston Thomas #29539 and Priscilla C. Scott #29538) County of: Smyth.
Aseneth: Marriage register states; Asseneth W. Thomas was age 28, single; b. Smyth Co.; d/o Abijah & Priscilla C. (Thomas). Aseneth and William Scott were married by W.H. Groves. (Aseneth and husband, William Scott were 2nd cousins).
409. i Thomas Hamil Scott #29474, b. Mar 14,1877 in Elkhorn Branch, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
410. ii George Martin Scott #29475, b. Sep 10,1878 in Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
411. iii Charles T. Scott #29476, b. Apr 10,1880 in Broad Ford, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
412. iv Peter M. Scott #29478, b. Oct 28,1881 in Saltville, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
413. v Edward Jefferson Scott #29488, b. Jul 25,1883 in Broad Ford, Virginia,28 County of: Smyth.28
314. Peter Alexander Scott #22700, b. May 1,1851 in Virginia,16 Buried: Washington County, Virginia, d. Apr 19,1926,23 buried in Smyth's Chapel Cemetery. Peter A. Scott: #22700
22 Jun 1880 - Washington County, Virginia - Census: North Fork District, Hh# 347/348; Peter A. Scott, 28, school teacher; Rachel A., 29 wife; William H.S., 1 son; Emory P., 3/12, b. March, son; Nellie E. Thomas, 23 cousin.
Peter and Rachel Scott also lived in Tazewell County, Virginia.
WCV, Glade Spring: Peter Alexander SCOTT, Emory, VA, wh m, mar to Rachel SMYTH SCOTT, b 01 May 1851, SCV, 74y 11m 18d, d 19 Apr 1926, s/o Stephen Hamil SCOTT, SCV & Elizabeth Henry CAMPBELL, SCV, bur Smyth Chapel Cem (See Poston Family History.)
He married16 Rachel Ann Smyth #22708, b. 1849 in Virginia,23 d. 1944,23 buried in Smyth's Chapel Cemetery.
414. i William H.S. Scott #33579, b. cir 1879 in Virginia.71
415. ii Emory P. Scott #33580, b. Mar 1880 in Virginia,71 Buried: Smyth's Chapel Cemetery, d. 1942.23
416. iii Elizabeth Scott #46777, b. Nov 8,1881,23 Buried: Smyth's Chapel Cemetery, d. Aug 1,1883.23 Headstone states: "...d/o P.A. & R.A. Scott."
322. Albert Gallatin Pendleton #45505, b. Feb 20,1836,19 d. Mar 2,1901.19
He married (1) Catherine ???? (Pendleton) #45511, married cir 1862,19 d. cir 1862.19
He married (2) Olivia Tinsley #45512, married cir 1865,19 d. cir 1869.19
417. i Kate Olivia Pendleton #45515, b. Oct 8,1868.19
She married Frank W. Craig #45516, married Oct 25,1887.19
He married (3) Elizabeth Madison (Lizzie) Sheffey #45513, married Oct 28,1872 in Smyth County, Virginia,19 b. Jan 5,1842 in Virginia,19 County of: Smyth, d. May 10,1878.19
Elizabeth: Smyth County, Virginia; Marriage Register 1: 1853-1915 states a marriage date of 24 Oct 1872 by minister, Wm. V. Wilson.
+ 418. ii James Sheffy Pendleton #37599 b. Jan 1,1874.
He married (4) Missouri Freelove Thomas #45514, married Feb 26,1879,19 b. Feb 28,1846,19 d. Mar 3,1929.19
419. iii Narcissa Cavinett Pendleton #45517, b. Nov 29,1879,19 d. May 29,1881.19
420. iv Alberta Thomas Pendleton #45518, b. Jul 28,1881,19 d. Oct 10,1908.19
421. v Mary Virginia Pendleton #45519, b. Jan 15,1884,19 d. Jan 13,1977.19
She married19 Frank Baker Mitchell #45520, b. Nov 10,1873,19 d. Mar 1,1932.19
323. John Strother Pendleton #45506, b. Oct 14,1838,19 County of: Medical Doctor, d. Aug 14,1917.19
He married Olivia Venable #45521, married Feb 7,1857,19 b. Aug 12,1843,19 d. Jan 12,1919.19
422. i William Cecil Pendleton #45522, b. Nov 5,1874.19
423. ii Mary Alice Pendleton #45523, b. Feb 13,1877,19 d. cir 1944.19
She married William T. Shepherd #45527, married cir 1898,19 d. cir 1935.19
424. iii Carrie Strother Pendleton #45524, b. Aug 6,1878,19 d. Dec 30,1971.19
She married James Clyde Love #45528, married Jul 31,1901,19 b. Apr 1,1879,19 d. Dec 29,1941.19
425. iv James F. Pendleton #45525.
426. v Sallie Pendleton #45526. died young.
326. William Cecil Pendleton #45509, b. Jan 16,1847,19 County of: Author, d. May 11,1941.19
He married Julia Franke Bittle #45529, married Jun 17,1875,19 b. Apr 16,1849,19 d. Feb 29,1916.19
427. i Narcissa Bittle Pendleton #45530, b. Nov 3,1876.19
She married Conrad Fudge Tynes #45531, married Apr 11,1900,19 b. Feb 1877,19 (son of A.J. Tynes #45532 and Harriet Fudge #45533).
428. ii Frederick William Pendleton #45535, b. Jan 5,1878,19 d. Aug 1937.19
429. iii Louise Cecil Pendleton #45536, b. Sep 12,1879.19
430. iv Julia Leonard Pendleton #45537, b. May 2,1882,19 d. Jul 30,1938.19
431. v James French Pendleton #45538, b. Jul 31,1883,19 d. Jun 18,1918.19
432. vi Ruth Holland Pendleton #45539, b. Jul 25,1885,19 d. cir 1956.19
433. vii Sallie Strother Pendleton #45540, b. Mar 7,1889.19
434. viii John Strother Pendleton #45541, b. Dec 4,1890,19 d. Apr 3,1917.19
330. Aseneth W. Thomas #22707, (See marriage to number 312.)
353. Mary Elizabeth Josephine Gray #33469, b. Jul 24 1870 in Abingdon, Virginia,21 County of: Washington, d. Jun 24 1964 in Warren County, Illinois.21
She married John Monroe Dakin #33470, married Dec 24 1890 in Abingdon, Washington County, Virginia,21 b. Jul 14 1860 in Abingdon, Virginia,21 County of: Washington, d. Oct 30 1945 in Warren County, Illinois.21
435. i Maude Ellen Dakin #33471, b. Jan 05 1892 in Virginia,21 County of: Washington,21 d. Nov 23 1935 in Warren County, Illinois.21
355. Emory A. Grogan #55314, b. 1884 in Virginia, County of: Scott.
He married Lucinda M. (Lou) Holley #13863, married Nov 24,1902 in Washington County, Virginia, b. Apr 3,1874 in Washington County, Virginia,24 (daughter of William David Holley #25098 and Dorcas Venable #27140) d. Mar 4,1934 in Washington County, Virginia.
Lucinda: Identified by 1900 census as Lou Holley, age 23, born Apr 1877.
WCV, Meadowview: Lou GROGAN, white female, married to Emory GROGAN, b. 31 Mar 1876, 58y 11m 4d; d. 04 Mar 1934, d/o David HOLLEY, SCV & Dorcus VENABLE, SCV; bur. Meadowview, VA
1910 Census states: Lucinda Grogan was age 37; married 7 years; 1st marriage; mother of 2 with 1 living; living with brother, Wyndham G. Holly.
436. i Margie Grogan #27746, b. cir 1905.47
437. ii Infant Grogan #27747, b. bef 1910,47 d. bef 1910.47
362. Etha Viola Grogan #12926, b. Feb 16,1882 in Virginia,72 d. Aug 8,1969.72 1910 Census states: Etha B. Montgomery was age 28; married 6 years; 1st marriage; mother of 3 with 3 liiving; (Etha and husband and children are living next door to her parents).
She married John Gordon Montgomery #12923, married Feb 3,1904,72 b. Dec 10,1866 in Virginia,23 (son of William Hilliard Montgomery #12921 and Nancy J. (Nannie) McNew #12912) County of: Farmer in Washington County, Virginia,48 d. Nov 10,1937,23 buried in Emory Cemetery.
John: Identified by 1900 census as John G. Montgomery, age 33, single; living in household of brother, James M. Montgomery. 1910 Census states: John G. Montgomery was age 43; married 6 years; 1st marriage; a farmer and living on Saltville Road. 1920 Census of Washington County, Virginia indicates residence on Abingdon Road.
438. i Nannie Lee Montgomery #12927, b. 1905 in Virginia,47 County of: Washington.22 Marriage Register states: Nannie was age 19, single; resident (R.F.D.)Meadow View, Virginia (1924); d/o J.G. & Etta Montgomery; Nannie and Marvin were married by John C. Orr.
She married Marvin Leslie Roland #20228, married 1924 in Abingdon, Washington County, Virginia,22 b. 1896 in Tennessee,22 (son of R.G. Roland #20226 and Delpha A. ???? (Roland) #20227) County of: Teacher,22 County of: Hawkins.22
Marvin: (*Note: date of marriage illegible on M/film copy). Marvin was a resident of Church Hill, Tennessee (1924).
439. ii Lake Ella Montgomery #12928, b. 1907.47 Marriage Register states: Lake was age 20, single on 24 Dec 1927; d/o John G. Montgomery; Lakie and Opie were married by John Cleveland Clark.
She married Opie Clinton Clark #20162, married Dec 24,1927 in Washington County, Virginia,22 b. 1900 in Jonesboro, Tennessee,22 (son of H.E. Clark #20160 and Sallie E. ???? (Clark) #20161) County of: Minister in Bristol, Virginia.
Opie: Resident Bristol, Virginia (1927).
440. iii James C. Montgomery #12929, b. Nov 1908.47
441. iv M. Janet Montgomery #15807, b. 1911 in Virginia.48
442. v G. Geneave Montgomery #15808, b. 1918 in Virginia.48
377. William Karnes Poston #57510, b. Jun 9,1913 in Princeton, West Virginia,73 County of: Mercer.
He married Katheryn Hughett #57513, b. in Bluefield, West Virginia, County of: Mercer.
443. i Unnamed Male Poston #57514, b. Apr 5,1948 in Princeton, West Virginia,74 County of: Mercer, Buried: Resthaven Park Cemetery, d. Apr 6,1948 in Princeton, Mercer County, West Virginia.74
381. Scott Morgan Poston #57515, b. Jan 22,1920 in Princeton, West Virginia,54 County of: Florist in Princeton, Mercer County, West Virginia, County of: Mercer, Buried: Resthaven Park Cemetery, d. May 10,1982 in Mercer County, West Virginia.75 Scott Morgan Poston: #57515
[Via Kim Hagy]
Mercer Co., WV BR6:197:29--Scott Morgan Poston, male, born 22 January 1920 in Princeton, WV to Manning Hufford Poston and Vivian Naff Bruce. Father is shown as 39, born in Saltville, VA, and employed as a traveling salesman. Mother is listed as 35, born in Bland, Va., mother of 3 with 3 living. Register remarks state: "Correction D.V.S. 6-19-67"
Mercer Co., WV DR17:112--Scott Morgan Poston, white male, age 62, died 10 May 1982 in Princeton Community Hospital. Occupation: retired, floral business. Register shows birth as 22 Jan 1920 in Mercer Co., WV to Manning Hufford Poston and Vivian Natt [as written] Bruce. Cause of Death given as Cardiac Failure, secondary to carcinoma. Mildred (Swim) Poston is listed as both surviving spouse and informant. Certifying physician is L.J. Pace, M.D. Body was released to Seaver Funeral Home for burial in Resthaven.
OBIT: "Bluefield Daily Telegraph", Tues., May 11, 1982, p. 2
"Scott Morgan Poston, 62, of 303 Low Gap Rd., Princeton, died Monday in a Princeton hospital after a short illness.
A life-long resident of Princeton, he was a son of the late Manning Hufford and Vivian Bruce Poston.
He was a retired florist and member of the First Baptist Church of Princeton. He was a member of the Princeton Elk's Lodge No. 1459, Princeton Post of the VFW, and a commissioner with the Princeton Fire Department's Civil Service Commission. He served as an ensign in the U.S. Navy during World War II.
He was preceded in death by his first wife, Virginia Bird Poston, and one sister.
Survivors include his wife, Mildred Swim Poston; three sons, John W. Poston of Princeton, Stephen B. Poston of Bluefield and Scott M. Poston Jr. of Tazewell, Va.; four daughters, Mrs. L.M. (Betsy) Carter of Clifton Forge, Va., Mrs. H. Phil (Lucile) Burks of Covington, Va., Christine Ella Poston of Clarkston, Ga., and Virginia L. Poston of Princeton; one step daughter, Mrs. Dennis W. (Drema G.) Perry of Martinez, Ga.; one brother, Manning J. Poston Jr. of New Smyrma [sic: Smyrna] Beach, Fla.; and 11 grandchildren.
Funeral services will be conducted Wednesday at 11 a.m. at George W. Seaver Funeral Chapel at Princeton with Rev. Harry Christie and Rev. Roger McGuire officiating. Burial will follow in Resthaven Park Cemetery at Princeton.
Friends may call at the funeral home today from 7 to 9 p.m."
He married (1) Virginia Bird #57523, b. Jan 31,1919 in Princeton, West Virginia,76 (daughter of Ben W. Bird #57522 and Elizabeth Ball #57525) County of: Mercer, Buried: Resthaven Park Cemetery, d. Mar 12,1965 in Princeton, Mercer County, West Virginia.76
444. i Elisabeth Poston #57526.
445. ii Lucile Poston #57527.
446. iii Scott Morgan Poston Jr. #57533, b. Jul 20,1955 in Princeton, West Virginia, County of: Mercer, Buried: Oakwood Cemetery, d. Jul 25,1955 in Princeton, Mercer County, West Virginia.77 Scott Morgan Poston Jr.: #57533
[Via Kim Hagy]
Mercer Co., WV DR8:214:2--Scott M. Poston, Jr., premature infant, 5 days old, died in Princeton of "atelectosis, premature birth" on 25 July 1955. Register states infant was born 20 July 1955 in WV, son of Scott M. Poston, Sr. and Virginia Bird. Certifying physician was J.I. Markell, and informant was Scott Poston. Body was released to Rowland Bailey, undertaker, for burial in Oakwood cemetery on 26 July 1955. Certificate filed 4 August 1955 by Anna Wickline, registrar.
447. iv Cristine Poston #57528.
448. v Virginia Lynn Poston #57529.
449. vi John Poston #57530.
450. vii Stephen Poston #57531.
451. viii Scott Morgan Poston Jr. #57532.
He married (2) Mildred Swim #57524.
402. Zephaniah Jackson Poston #35321, b. Dec 26,1898 in Virginia,78 County of: Smyth, d. Dec 1946.
He married Tinsy Mae Eskridge #60462, married Dec 14,1921 in Bonners Ferry, Idaho.
452. i Eunice Joselyn Poston #60463, b. Aug 9,1922, d. Jul 6,1986.
She married ???? Gertz #60471.
453. ii Jacquelyn Zoe Poston #60464, b. Nov 28,1923, d. 1999.
She married ???? Strom #60472.
454. iii James Poston #60465, b. Jan 13,1926, d. cir 1975.
455. iv Barbara Loretta Poston #60466, b. Jul 21,1929.
She married ???? Vowells #60473.
456. v Billy Lorraine Poston #60467, b. Jul 21,1929.
She married ???? Cann #60474.
457. vi Richard Larry Poston #60468, b. Sep 25,1931.
458. vii Patricia Poston #60469, b. May 28,1933.
She married ???? Hill #60475.
459. viii Bruce Poston #60470, b. Dec 23,1939, d. A[pr 6,1956.
418. James Sheffy Pendleton #37599, b. Jan 1,1874,19 d. Jan 26,1946.19
He married Nancy Margaret Fudge #37559, married Jun 15,1898 in Royal Oak Presbyterian Church,79 b. Oct 13,1877,79 (daughter of Granville Henderson Fudge #37545 and Lucy O'Neal Sale #37556) Buried: Round Hill Cemetery,80 d. Jul 26,1948 in Pulaski, Pulaski County, Virginia.79
460. i Albert Pendleton #37600. Died as an infant.
461. ii Granville Fudge Pendleton #37601.
He married79 Ivanna Simpson #37604.
462. iii Katherine Elizabeth Pendleton #37602.
She married79 Wirt L. Wallace #37603.