Search for content in message boards

James Davis Surry County Virginia

James Davis Surry County Virginia

Posted: 28 Jun 2001 4:08AM GMT
Surnames: John, James Davis, Surry County, Virginia
I am descended from James Davis, birth ab. 17l0 in Surry County, Virginia. On my list I see that John, his brother, was born abut 17l8 in Surry County. My information is that their father was Thomas Davis born in Surry County ab. 1658. I have researched and find information that leads me to think the country of origin is England and that the initial ancestor for our family was named William. As I continue to research I will be happy to share. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. Our ancestry is through James, James, William B., William Billie and my grandfather, Sidney Barnes Davis (Whitley County, Kentucky) married to my grandmother, Elizabeth Trosper. There was a Davis Family reunion in Prague, Oklahoma this month (mostly the descendents of Sid B. and his brother Garrett, over 300 people. This reunion is yearly, happy to share information.Happy to meet you, distant cousin!

Re: James Davis Surry County Virginia

Posted: 30 Jun 2001 7:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davis
I don't know for sure if there is a family connection here, or not, but maybe you can be of some help to me. My great grandfather was James Thomas Davis, of Isle of Wight County, VA, and married Mary Edvina Pitt. He was born in 1858. His father was named George Thomas Davis and he was from Surry County. He married a woman named Frances Otelia Driver.

I have only had one chance to go to Surry County to research the court records, and have not had any luck locating information on George Thomas Davis. I am recovering at the moment from open heart surgery, and hope to get back to Surry County this fall to do further research.

Do any of these names mean anything to you?

Thanks,
Debi

Posted: 11 Mar 2002 8:56AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2002 11:55PM GMT
I am looking an Edward DAVIS married Susanna Oliver, from Surry Co., VA. This is all I know on the Oliver family.

SURRY COUNTY WILL BOOK "A" 1754 - 1764
PAGE 161

Thomas Oliver.... 17 Mar 1760/ 16 May 1760....
Son William Oliver 175 acres called "Whiteheads".
Daughter Ann Baker
Daughter Lucy Evans
Daughter Sarah Sturdivant
Daughter Elizabeth Oliver
Daughter Susanna Davis
Daughter Millia (Mildred) Spain
Wife Agnis Oliver land called "Harfords"for life.
Exors: Son William Oliver and my wife. Wit: James Jones and Benjamin
Oliver.

Thomas OLIVER,
Wife Agnis OLIVER
Son;
William OLIVER married Frances MALONE, d/o William Malone
Daughters;
Ann BAKER,
Lucy (married Benjamin) EVANS
Sarah (married Mathew) STURDIVANT
Elizabeth OLIVER
Susanna (married Edward) DAVIS
Millia (Mildred married Drury) SPAIN

Grandchildren born 1740's - 1760's abstracted from Albemarle Parish Records;
EVANS; John, William, Susanna and Archer,
STURDIVANT; Oliver, Christobel and Susanna,
SPAIN; Thomas, Agnus, Eppes, Augustine,
OLIVER; Isaac, Lucy, Anna, Jane, Francis, Rebecca and Sarah

Thomas Spain born 7/12/1760 in Sussex/Surry County Virginia
born two months after grandfather's will was probated, died 1/23/1840, Pitt Co., NC.
This was my gggg grandfather. I have more info only on the Spain family, thru my mother Emily Spain

Jeffrey

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 10:08AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jun 2009 9:23AM GMT
Surnames: Davis
Lewis, We may have a connection. I descend from Thomas Davis of Surry Co. Va We believe his father was James Davis. Thomas was born abt. 1750 m. Martha ?.His sons were Edwin and Littleberry. Thomas' land was next to James Davis land. Joseph Davis was also named as an executor of his will. Our line goes Thomas,Edwin,Blanks, Thomas Bingham,William Thomas, William Judson, Wortley Mae m. Leslie Harris, William Judson Harris, Darlene V. Harris. My Davis family ended up in Portsmouth, Va. Edwim Davis married a Nancy Price. Do you have any Price connections also? Any info on the Davises would be appreciated. Darlene

Lewis Kiracofe (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2002 4:27PM GMT
Darlene, Have had a lot of help from the new census online, purchase of materials and joining family website that seems to connect my Davis line with that of Creekmore family. We don't have the Price name .. as far as I know now.

Is your Davis line connected with Wm. B. Davis/Sarah Rapier, Whitley County, Kentucky? There are two possibilities for our Davis link as it appears now anyway"

Wm.B.Davis b. ab. 1774, North Carolina/Sarah Rapier
Migration through Tennessee into Whitley County, Ky.
James is listed as father of Wm. B. Davis.

or: John Davis b. ab. 1800, North Carolina married to Frances Creekmore b. ab. 1803
Migration through Tennesse into Whitley County, Ky.
James is listed as father of John Davis

There is a Davis Clearing House online for information. Have you contacted them? It is a free, volunteer situation. They are helpful but takes a while for response. I will send their e-mail address to you. Wishing you successful searches! Betty

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 6:14PM GMT
Betty, All our Davis family stayed in VA of my line. I don't know who went out of state. Edwin moved to Isle of Wight and Blanks then moved to Portsmouth,VA . They were grocers. James is a good guess as to where we are connected. Some where I have the will of James Davis. I'll look for it and pass info on. I am trying to connect with cousins. If we have a connection or not I'll be Happy to swap any other info you would like. I would like that clearing house address on the Davis family. Darlene

Robert Victor Sturdivant (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2006 1:59AM GMT
Do you have any information on Estel(le) Spain who possibly married Oliver Sturdivant and any issue they may have had?

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 8:45AM GMT
Surnames: Davis,Trosper
Sidney Barnes Davis was my ggrandfather.His daughter "Etta Mae Davis married Braxton Eaton,their daughter Nancy is my mother.I would appriciate any info. you could give me on the Davis and Trosper families.Thanks.

Sidney Barnes Davis and Elizabeth Louisa Trosper

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 12:54AM GMT
Would you have the name of Lillian Amanda Davis (born November 9, 1900 in Whitley County, KY to Sidney Barnes Davis and Elizabeth Louisa Trosper) husbands? I have she married a Frank and she married a Mr. Maggard, but do not know if this is accurate or not. Did Joseph Garrett Davis (Sept. 10,1909 - July 6, 1985) ever marry? Did Flora Elizabeth Davis marry a Marvin Parks? I have dates on her, but can't confirm them on SSDI.

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 8:10PM GMT
Edited: 12 Sep 2011 8:19PM GMT
lewis i am researching the davis's of surry co. va. would you send me inf on how to get to the davis clearing house, my husband is gr. grandson to Samuel Newton Davis,he was born in Ga. but later moved family to clay co. al.Thank you for any help that you can give me. bev davis e-mail davis4990@bellsouth.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions