Search for content in message boards

Hammack / Hammock family

Hammack / Hammock family

Posted: 27 Dec 2002 2:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Apr 2004 1:16PM GMT
Surnames: Hammock, Hammack, Hammick, Hamic, Hamac
If anyone is working on this family or knows of someone who is, I'd love to correspond. I have many questions :) Thanks.

Jim VanDerMark
family_man@insightbb.com

Re: Hammack / Hammock family

Mark L. Ress (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2002 5:39PM GMT
I have info on the descendants (several generations) of Ephraim Hammack (c.1798-1855) and Cynthia Helen Hix (1904-1895). Cynthia's parents are my ancestors.

Posted: 31 Dec 2002 1:14PM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2004 1:16PM GMT
Surnames: Hammack, Hammock, Hix
Mark,

I've replied to your email address with an outline of what I have on the family. If you could review it and let me know of any errors, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim

Posted: 26 Nov 2004 7:07PM GMT
Surnames: Hammack/Miller
Jim. I am researching the family of MAHALAH HAMMACK,, b. 13Oct.1813, Padukah, KY, d 29Dec 1888, Blair, NE, md. abt. 1830 to JOHN HENRY MILLER, b.4July1807, Kentucky, d. 25May 1885, Blair, NE. Children: Mary, John, Sarah, Charlotte, Amanda, Emily and Clara, plus two early babies who didn't survive.

I am interested to learn Mahalah's parents' and siblings' names. My husband, Robert Arlington Winegar, is Mahalah and John's GtGtGtgrandson.

Posted: 26 Nov 2004 11:18PM GMT
Surnames: Miller, Hammock, Hammack, Hammick
Ann,

I don't know how much help I can be - I can provide some speculation about Mahala's siblings and parents.

Have you found a marriage record for John and Mahala? They are in Perry Co., IN for the 1850 census and have a daughter Susanna listed - perhaps one of the early babies who didn't survive?

Do you know anything about John Henry's Miller family. There was an Elizabeth Miller who married a George Hammock in Perry county, IN on 12 Nov 1837. I always wondered if the two Millers and two Hammocks weren't brothers and sisters?

Census data

Posted: 26 Nov 2004 11:24PM GMT
Surnames: Miller, Hammock
Both couples were in Perry Co., IN for the 1850 census and then in Wayne Co., IA for the 1860 census. They aren't living next door to each other, but I think it isn't just a coincidence.

1850 U.S. Census, Perry Co., IN
Page 418, Oil Township
Lines 33 - 40 Dwelling 1037, Family 1052
Enumerated on September 30th, 1850 by Thomas J Custer, Ass't Marshal

Hammock, George 32 M W Farmer KY Can't read or write
Hammock, Elizabeth 30 F W KY
Hammock, Francis 12 F W IN Attended School
Hammock, John 10 M W IN Attended School
Hammock, Philip 08 M W IL Attended School
Hammock, Daniel 07 M W IN
Hammock, Lewis 05 M W IN
Hammock, Taylor 02 M W IN

1860 U.S. Census, Wayne Co., IA
Washington Township, Cambria Post Office
Page 463, Sheet 79, Lines 07 - 17, Dwelling 576, Family 542
Enumerated on July 5th1860 by Wm Boyle, Ass't Marshal

Hammack, George 43 M W Farmer KY $1200 $795
Hammack, Elizabeth 39 F W KY
Hammack, John 19 M W Farmer IN Attended School
Hammack, Phillip 18 M W Farmer IL Attended School
Hammack, Daniel 15 M W Farmer IN Attended School
Hammack, Lewis 14 M W Farmer IN Attended School
Hammack, Sarah 09 F W IN Attended School
Hammack, Mahalah 07 F W IN
Hammack, Elizabeth 05 F W IL
Hammack, William 03 M W IA
Hammack, James M 08/12 M W IA

1850 U.S. Census, Perry Co., IN
Page 365, Troy Township
Lines 25 - 32, Dwelling 310, Family 311
Enumerated on August 27th, 1850 by Thos. J Cutter

Miller, John 40 M W Laborer KY
Miller, Mahala 34 F W KY
Miller, Mary 15 F W IN
Miller, John 13 M W IN
Miller, Sarah 11 F W IN
Miller, Charlotte 06 F W IN
Miller, Susanna 03 F W IN
Miller, Emily 01 F W IN

1860 U.S. Census, Wayne Co., IA
Page 405, Benton Township (Sheet 21), Corydon Post Office
Lines 33 - 39, Dwellin g168, Family 150
Enumerated on June 12th, 1860 by W Boyle, Ass't. Marshal

Miller, John 52 M W Farmer $40 $100 KY
Miller, Mahalah 44 F W KY
Miller, John H 21 M W Farmer $ - $60 IN
Miller, Charlotte 14 F W IN Attended School Within Year
Miller, Amanda 12 F W IN Attended School Within Year
Miller, Emily 09 F W IN Attended School Within Year
Miller, Clarissa L 07 F W IN Attended School Within Year

Ann Winegar (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2004 1:43AM GMT
Jim. No, I have not found a marriage record for John and Mahala. I have not found birth records, other than what was handed down with Earle Miller's genealogy work. See my earlier query.

I estimated that John and Mahala were married ca 1830. I like your speculation about Susanna..an early baby who did not survive. No, I don't know if the two Millers married two Hammacks, but that's a good theory. We'll keep looking.

I did get to see Mahala's Family Bible this past June. She did not write one line in the Bible. I don't believe she could read or write. Her grandson, James Wesley Miller's family data is in the book. Her name is on the cover of the Bible, partially scratched out.

I also have a photo reported to be of Mahalah. Her gt.grandson's wife has a huge oval photo, with a curved glass front, of a lady she understands to our Mahalah. I took a photo of the picture, through the glass. I am interested to know if anyone has a photo of Mahala Hammack Miller to compare with mine.

Re: Hammack connections

Posted: 27 Nov 2004 1:40PM GMT
Surnames: Hammack, Hammock, Miller
Ann,

I'm not familiar with Earle Miller's work and didn't see it mentioned in your earlier posts.

Did you notice in the census data I posted that George and Elizabeth Miller Hammock named one of their daughters Mahalah - another coincidence or more proof of a connection to your line?

The 1870 and 1880 census both state that Mahala could not write. She must have been able to read - at least they didn't state she couldn't and did state John could not read or write.

Is it o.k. to send you an outline file of what I have accumulated for you to compare with your research?

Jim

Ann Winegar (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2004 9:45PM GMT
Jim. Thanks for your reply. Absolutely, please send an outline of the Hammack's you have.

Secondly, the 1850 US Census, Perry Co. IN that lists "Susanna", must be a nickname, because (John Henry and Mahalah's) Amanda Rosetti Miller would have been 3 years old in 1850. Amanda was b. 03February, 1847, in Indiana.

My e-mail address is <winegar05@rvwifi.com>

Ann Winegar (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2004 9:57PM GMT
Jim, Yes, I noticed, too, that George and Elizabeth Miller Hammock named a daughter Mahalah. In another message, I found information that George and Elizabeth Hammock are buried in Corydon, IA. That message lists a second wife, and step-son.

Thanks to all for assisting my work here. Ann Winegar
per page

Find a board about a specific topic