Search for content in message boards

need info on Robert G. Maddox, born Mar 1816 in MD

need info on Robert G. Maddox, born Mar 1816 in MD

John (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2001 6:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
i'm a novice to this but i traced my family back to this man, but don't know how to go farther. any leads or suggestions? thanks.

Re: need info on Robert G. Maddox, born Mar 1816 in MD

Posted: 28 Mar 2004 8:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am also looking for information on the ancestors and family of Robert G. and Sophia Reid Maddox of Prince William and Stafford Counties, VA. Their son Robert E. Maddox (b. Nov. 7, 1843, d. April 26, 1928) and Mary E. Payne Maddox (b. July 13, 1842, d. May 5, 1917; daughter of John A. and Anne Tolson Payne of Stafford County) who were married in Stafford on Dec. 22, 1868, would be my g-g-grandparents. The siblings of Robert E. Maddox were James Henry (m. Virginia Wamsley), John Allison (m. Margaret Elkins), and Virginia Maddox (died unmarried at age 25).

Robert E., a farmer, served in the Stafford Light Artillery during the Civil War. He and Mary bought property near Warrenton, Fauquier Co., VA where they raised their children. The children's names were Robert E., Jr., John Allison, Lena, Joseph Wilbur, Bertha B., and Thomas Carlyle Maddox. My great grandfather was John Allison Maddox (b. September, 1874) who married Florence E. Terrell (b. September 10, 1874; daughter of Nathaniel A. and Emma Dodd Terrell) of Charlottesville, VA in about 1898. My grandfather Francis Earl (Frank) Maddox was born in Charlottesville in about 1900. His siblings were Emma Elizabeth (m. unknown Chalkley), Doris Dodd (m. Cutler Landon May), and John Allison Maddox, Jr.

I too am stumped by the heritage of Robert G. Maddox. I have a feeling that he may have been the son of Allison and Anne (Swann) Maddox who moved from Charles Co., MD to Prince William between 1800 and 1810, but I have absolutely no proof of this relationship. This statement is based solely on the family tradition of naming the sons "Allison."

I am planning a research trip to Prince William in the near future to do some record searching in the courthouse. Do you have anything to add that might help make a connection to the Charles County, MD Maddox clan?

Cathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions