Search for content in message boards

looking for more names

looking for more names

John Sweet (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2002 6:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a good portion of the Sweet/Swete family in in my files. I go back approx. 1450 in Devonshire Eng. If you have anything you can help me with I would greatful.

Re: looking for more names

Ozzi (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2002 10:04AM GMT
Surnames: Sweet
Congratulations on collecting the Sweet family so far back.
Perhaps you can help some of us who have not been as fortunate? I am looking for the roots of Isaac M. Sweet, b: 1812, Genesee Co, NY. I think the family goes back to the RI Sweets who came originally from England thru Wales, but I have nothing to prove it. I did find John "Isaac" Sweet, b: c1579, Devonshire, ENG, who provides a base and starting about 1780 the name Isaac is used in a number of families, but I've been unable to find that crucial link.
Any assistance appreciated.

John Sweet (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2002 7:10AM GMT
The John you found was born in 1579 in Devonshire Eng
His Father was Robert or Isaac Sweet (Swete) born approx. 1552, his mother's name was Johanna Richards ( or Rainham)
born approx. 1554

Now Robert's father was John Swete (b. approx. 1530)
death about 1613.

Robert's mother Mary Periam (b. approx. 1531) There is another Mary Periam in the family, so don't be alarmed

John Swete's father John Swete (b. approx. 1504)
mother Johane Scoos (b approx 1508)

Johane Scoos father John Scoos (b. approx 1450)

thats what I have. I do have names of some of the children if you want that. go ahead and email me if you need more

Ozzi (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2002 10:54AM GMT
Thanks for the reply. I am searching for the links from my Isaac M. Sweet, b: 1812 back to John, b: c1579. While I think perhaps there are links, I have been unable to find them.
This is mostly guesswork, definitely not able to prove earlier than 1812.

Isaac M. b: 1812, Genesee Co NY
Isaac b: 1788
William, b: 1761
Thomas, b: 1732
James, b: 1687
Benoni, b: 1663
James, b: 1622
John, b: 1579

I'm afraid that Isaac, 1788 was not the father of Isaac, 1812. If you have information that can prove this line-up, I would be grateful.

Ozzi

John Sweet (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2002 9:21PM GMT
I am not sure about the Isaac your referring too. My side of the family is Benoni Sweet. I am still trying to see what I can find for you.

I am showing John (1579) had 5 kids

John b. 1620 d. July 15 1677
James b. 1622 d.1698
Thomas b. 1624
Meribah (Renewed) b.1625 d.1681
Abigail b. 1626

I have names for the kids of both John and James

Ozzi (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2002 11:49PM GMT
HI John,

If my list is correct, Benoni b:1663, m: Elizabeth Manchester. 6 children: James,1687, Margaret, Benoni,Mary, Elizabeth & Thomas.

James 1687, m: Mary Sherman. they had son Thomas in

Thomas,1732 m:Frances Congdon. they had 5 children:
Thomas, William, 1761, Ann, Samuel and Hannah.

William, 1761 m:Patience Maxon. they had 7 children:
James, Frances, William, Hannah, Isaac 1788, Polly, Sally.

Here's the rub.....I can't tie Isaac 1788 to my Isaac 1812 even
tho the line-up is perfect!

h-e-l-p!

Ozzi

Shirley Becker (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2002 3:26AM GMT
Surnames: CLANCY MILLER WRIGHT GRAVES SWEET CANNON OWENS
I have these names also and am a descendant, but I need more documentation. No one has proof of the lines in England at least not good documentation. They cant' even prove when John arrived in the colonies with his brother James. I am willing to trade you sources on any thing that you have documented.

John Sweet (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2002 4:09AM GMT
There is a book with some of the information you are looking for over in England. I will see if I can find out that info for you. Johane Scoos father was born in approx. 1450. He was the Lord of Traine Manor, Modbury, Devonshire England. Give me a day or so I can get that info to you.

John M. Sweet

Posted: 25 Dec 2002 1:59PM GMT
I have two Sweet relatives in my line and I have very little information about them. There is a Wilber Sweet from Leroy, Genesee, NY born about 1762 and his daughter Martha born 1819 also in Genessee, NY. Would you happen to have any information about them? I'm stuck.

Ozzi (View posts)
Posted: 25 Dec 2002 3:33PM GMT
I suspect that my Isaac M. Sweet, b; 1812, Genesee Co, NY could be related to your Martha. I have looked at the town of Leroy as his possible birth place. There were at least two Sweet famlies who purchased land from the Holland Land Co in that area of NY. If you find more of your family, please post them on this board, it's quite possible that we're looking for tbe same family. Do you know where your family went from NY? Mine moved on to PA and to OH.
Do you know for sure that Wilber is Martha's father? The age spread is big enough, it could indicate Grandfather.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions