Search for content in message boards

John Marshall Clemens

John Marshall Clemens

Posted: 12 Dec 2005 10:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clements
I am trying to find parents and sibblings of John Marshall Clemens born Aug 11, 1798 in Campbell Co. VA.
He was the father of Samuel L. Clemens(Mark Twain)

John Clemens married Jan Lampton of Adair County, KY May 1823.
I have found a Hannibal Clemens from Fentress County TN who is listed as "uncle of Mark Twain" in the MARK TWAIN MUSEUM..
Hannibal married Jane Jones of Wayne County Jan 8, 1829.
Consent to marry was given by Hanibal Clemens SR

any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Barbara
Searchin Clemens/Clements/Clemmons of VA KY and MO

Re: John Marshall Clemens

Jane Oakes (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2005 4:39AM GMT
Parents are Samuel B. Clemens and Pamela Goggin

Barbara (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2005 12:43PM GMT
Surnames: Clemens
Thanks Jane
Do you know anything about children of Samuel Clemens, besides John Marshall?
thanks
Barbara

Posted: 1 Jul 2006 1:34AM GMT
Looking for parents of Jacob Clemmons b 1790 ib Virginia (Not sure of the county) He died in Breckinridge Co., KY. He married Frances Meador b, 1798 Bedford Co.,VA. I have info on the parents of Frances, byt not Jacob Clemmons. Please reply to momwom @aol.com

Posted: 13 Jul 2006 9:26PM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Cannifax, Eads, Radford
Hannibal Clemens married Jane Hudson Jones in Wayne Co, KY. Jane was the sister of my ancestor Sarah B. Jones. I have Hannibal's marriage bond. He signed it. There was no Hannibal Clemens, Sr.

Rosemary Shields

Posted: 13 Jul 2006 10:47PM GMT
Here is what I copied at the Wayne County Courthouse

Clemmons, Hannibal and Jane Jones'Surety W. R. Richardson
Married 9 January 1829 by Thomas Hansford. Note included reads" please let Hanibal have lisons to marry my daughter Jane by James Jones"
Second Note reads "Hannibal Clemmons of Fentriss County, Tennessee, gave consent for son Hanibal witness W. P. Richardson"

This appears to me to indicate Hanibal Clemens/Clemmons was indeed Hannibal Clemons JR.

I have just started researching this marriage. I know that Jane and Hanibal Clemens must have gone to Missouri and then came back to KY. (He may have died there) She remarried Aug 10, 1842 to a John Sallee
1850 Wayne County Census lists a child John M Clemens age 14 born in Missouri.
Do you know where in Missouri he was born? When and where Hannibal died?
Thanks
Barbara

Re: Hannibal Clemens and Jane Hudson Jones

Posted: 11 Sep 2006 11:18PM GMT
Edited: 13 Sep 2006 1:02AM GMT
Surnames: Jones,
As I stated before, Jane Hudson Jones was the sister of my ancestor Sarah B. Jones. Sarah and her husband John McBeath moved from Wayne Co, KY to Jamestown, Fentress Co, TN and lived by John Marshall Clemens. I imagine that is how Hannibal Clemens met Jane.

I have the marriage bond of Hannibal and Jane that I obtained at the Court House in Monticello.. Permission was given by my 4th Gr grandfather James Jones. Since Hannibal was over 21 there would be no reason for him to need permission from his parents. Hannibal signed the Marriage bond. .

John Marshall Clemens moved to from Jamestown, TN to Florida, MO where his son Samuel was born. I imagine Jane moved with them since her son John Marshall Clemens was born 12 Oct 1835 in MO. They had an older son James born 1830. I am not sure where Hannibal died. I show 1 Aug 1836 in Jamestown, but I have no verification.

Jane moved back to Monticello to live with her mother Mary Jane Buster Jones who was my 4th gr grandmother..

Hannibal was the son of Samuel Clemens and Pamela Goggins.

Rosemary

Posted: 12 Jan 2007 2:48PM GMT
Surnames: Clements
My grandfather was a Clements born here in Campbell County in the Gladys Community. I have been told my entire life that Mark Twain was a relative. My grandmother still lives and I believe that there may be a family bible. I will ask her more about this and be glad to let you know my findings.

Posted: 12 Jan 2007 3:41PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2007 5:41AM GMT
Surnames: Clemens, Clements, Clemons
Dear Retiring,
Thank you for your offer to help with my Clemens ancestry.
I am anxious to hear what you learn from your Grandmother. I am almost sure my Clemens/Clements/Clemons ancestors came from VA to TN then KY and MO.
My relatives also claim a distant relationship to the legendary Mark Twain. I must admit that it would be wonderful to find proof of that ancestry, but mostly I would just like to know how my John Charles Clemens b 1850? came into this world. He first appears in historical records as a "apprentice" of a Garner Parmley in Wayne County KY 1860.
The Virginia Clemens connection comes from the 1920 census records showing John Charles Clemens father born VA mother born in KY.

thanks again for your offer to help
Barbara

Posted: 12 Jan 2007 6:18PM GMT
Surnames: Clemens
Barbara,
According to the 1939 article by Claude A. Thompson on the New London Museum website www.newlondonmuseum.org page28:

Samuel Clemens and Pamela Goggin were married in Bedford County on Oct 23,1797. They lived in Campbell County. Their first child was John Marshall Clemens, the father of Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain.

Samuel Clemens evidently came to Campbell from Surry County on the lower James River. Surry County records show the will of John Clemens, May 2, 1710 whose wife was Mary and children Samuel, John and Anne. Will mentions a brother William. William's will mentions wife Ales (Alice?) and their five children:Lucy, Elizabeth, Samuel, William and Henry.

I hope that this may be of some help. Mike Beard
per page

Find a board about a specific topic