Search for content in message boards

John & Ursula Baird 1775-1825

John & Ursula Baird 1775-1825

Posted: 5 Feb 2005 2:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jun 2006 5:22PM GMT
Surnames: BAIRD, DETWILER, COUGHENOUR, HOLLINGSWORTH

John and Ursula Baird were in Brown County, Ohio, from at least 1808 until about 1813 when they moved to Washington County, Pennsylvania and finally on to Fayette County, Pennsylvania. They had at least three children:
1. Cynthia Baird, born October 03, 1808, in Brown County, Ohio. She married John Detwiler January 19, 1832, Perryopolis, Fayette. Pennsylvania. They remained in Fayette County until 1856 when the moved to Muskingum County, Ohio, and two years later traveled to Van Buren County, Iowa where they lived out their lived. They had seven children: John Henry, George Marion, Mary Francis. Isaac Winfield, Clarence Smith. Lucy Ann, and Harriet Eliza.
2. Lucy Baird was also born in Brown County, Ohio about 1812. She married Valentine Coughenour, a business partner and friend of John Detwiler, about 1832. They remained in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, until after the 1850 census. In 1860, they were living in Industry township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania where they remained through 1870. They had eight children: Drucilla, Margaret A., Amanda, Daniel Kane (Cain), Albert, Eliza J., Franklin P., and George W.
3. Benjamin Baird (Beard) was born in Pennsylvania about 1815. By 1850, he was living in Westmoreland County in the town of Pleasant Unity as a widower with 3 children (William, Eliza Jane and David) and was working as a carpenter. By 1860 he had married his second wife, Rosanna Hollingsworth who had a son, Seymour Hollingsworth.. In a letter written in 1871, Benjamin wrote that he was living in Bradenville, Pennsylvania. Of note was that Benjamin signed his name as Benjamin Beard.

Would like to hear from anyone with information on any of the above families

Donald Detwiler

Re: John & Ursula Baird 1775-1825

Posted: 29 Apr 2005 7:44PM GMT
I have ruled out John as the son of Absalom, per his revolutionary war records. They state that John died without children.

Posted: 1 May 2005 7:43PM GMT
Baird, Beard, and Bard were common names in the Cumberland Valley, Pennsylvania. There were several Johns, Williams and James; this makes tracing the family very difficult. There was a John Baird in Eagle, Brown County, Ohio in 1820 whose family demographics appear to fit what's known of Cynthia's family. Another is in Rostraver, Westmoreland County, PA, a short distance from Perryopolis, in 1830 who is also a fit.

Posted: 1 May 2005 9:39PM GMT
Andrew and William Beard lived just a few doors away from Henry Detwiler on the 1810 census for Letterkenny, Franklin County, PA. They each had a son named John. Their father was William Baird--an early settler of Letterkenny. Each fought in the Rev. War. William is thought to be the son of John Baird or Beard who came from Tryone, Ireland and settled in Christinia Hundred, New Castle County, Del. about 1728. The original John also had descendants who settled in Westmoreland County near where Benjamin Beard settled. So I'm wondering if Cynthia is descended someway from this family.

Posted: 2 May 2005 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: Beard, Baird, Detwiler
Hi Marcia,
I certainly appreciate the information that you sent me on the Beard/Baird family. The information in you message of May 1st looks the most promising based on what I have. Thanks again. You were most kind.

Don Detwiler

marcia thomas (View posts)
Posted: 6 May 2005 8:16PM GMT
It appears that the Letterkenny Bairds/Beards/Bards (of my last message) are cousins to Moses Baird who settled in Adams County, Ohio early in the 1800's, coming orginally from Fayette County. His daughter Annie died in Ripley. This family is seeming more probable as ancestors to Cynthia. This family is a real challenge. A book entitled "BAird and Beard Families" theorizes that John Baird, Jr of Christiana Hundred is the likely the ancestor of all the Pennsylvania Bairds.

Posted: 23 May 2005 12:45PM GMT
Hi Don--on some message board (which I can't located again) you made reference to Cynthia's mother being Ursula Burgess. Do you still believe this is true? I have have found Ursula Burgesses in Maryland in the early 1700's but no other information. I would love to know what you have found. Thanks, Marcia

Posted: 2 Jan 2007 1:37PM GMT
John Baird's wife was definitely Ursula Burgess, daughter of Basil and Anne Smith Burgess. This is confirmed by search of Jaynie Arnago. Anne's will provided by Jaynie:
I. Anne Burgess, of Washington Township, Fayette Co., Being in a sick and low condition, But of sound mind and memory do hereby make, Constitute and appoint this my last will and Testament

First: I commit my soul to God who gave it and my body to be buried at the discretion of my Executor herein after named.

Second: It is my will and I hereby Bequeath unto my son Frances Warren Burgess the whole of my estate real and personal allowing him to pay my just debts and funeral expenses and one dollar each to my children viz: William, Amelia, Bazel, Walter, Elizabeth. Mary, Ursley and Lucy or to he husbands of these my daughters who are married 2 dollars_ I do hereby constitute and appoint John Patterson Esquire and my said son Frances Warren Burgess whole and sole executors of this my last will and testament. In testimonial of which I have here unto set my hand and seal the 5th day of December One Thousand Eight Hundred and three, the words Lucy were read before signing
Anne Burgess (Her mark)

Signed, sealed and declared to be the last will and testament of Anne Burgess before to the 5th day of December 1803.

Edward Cook Andrew Brown William Cunningham

Fayette Co.. SS

This 11th day of March Ammo Domini 1806 before me Alexander McLAIN Register for the Probate of Wills and Drawing Letters of Administration in and for said Co. personally came Andrew Brown and on his Solemn oath did declare that he saw the testatrix sign seal and acknowledge the foregoing as and for her last will and Testament. That she was at time of doing the said in sound mind and memory to the best of his knowledge and belief, that he knew of no undue influence used to thrawt her inclination or any later will made by her the rest of her life this the 12th . Edward Cook Esquire appeared and on oath declared the same-Under my had and seal of office this 12th day of March 1806

Alexander McClain, Register Recorded and Compare 12th March 1805

Posted: 15 Jan 2007 2:51PM GMT
Here is addional information about John and Ursula from fellow descendant Jaynie Arango:

In the book by Franklin Smith Farquhar he says that Thomas Baird Lived in Cookstown ( Fayette City Pa. ) I will list here what it says about him. Not sure how factual it is.

He states:
“My Grandfather was Charles Burgess; his father was Franklin Burgess, son of Basil. My grandmother was Nancy Beard; her father was John Beard; son of Thomas Beard. I know little of the Beard family. They all passed away long before my time, except my grandmother. Legend has it that Thomas Beard came with his family from Westmoreland Co. Pa., to Freeport (now Fayette City ) Pa. , where he became the first general merchant. The county records show that he was in business there in 1828. How long he continued thus I have been unable to learn. From the general history of Fayette County , Pa. by Franklin Ellis, published in 1882, I quote the following :

“Thomas Beard (an Irish refugee) one of the traders, kept a dry goods store on Second Street , near Union , (closet to J. C. King’s furniture shop).

“William E. Fraser (chosen to the state legislature in 1855 and as a canal commissioner in 1859) says that in 1827 Cookstown had three stores, of which th principal one was kept by Thomas Beard near the corner of Second and Union Streets.

I hereby submit some additional data on the Beard family, Where I got the record I do not know, but I think it came from an old bible in possession of my aunt, Mrs. Sarah Ursula Krepps, wife of David Krepps, of Allenport, Pa. and a sister of my mother (note by Jaynie his mother would have been Mariah Burgess daughter of Charles and Nancy Baird Burgess) It follows;

John Beard, son of Thomas and Nancy Beard was born June 21, 1778. Ursula Burgess, wofe of John Beard, was born June 21, 1778. John Beard and Ursula Burgess were married May 12, 1803. To them were born four Children all of whom grew to maturity. Cynthia Born Oct. 3, 1808, Benjamin born Dec. 6, 1810, Lucy born Feb. 3, 1813 and Nancy born Apr. 20 1815. All the above is from his book.

In the book here mentioned Franklin Smith Farquhar lists her children as such;

1. William remained behind in Maryland

2. Bazil soon after coming to the “west of the mountains” ( Pennsylvania ) went to Illinois as a young man

3. Walter went to Kentucky

4. Richard went to Ohio and was killed by Indians

5. Lucy marred Rev. Charles Smith and later went west

6. Franklin Warren the father of Charles Burgess

7. Mille (it states here she married Hager founder of Hagerstown Maryland , but I think he is wrong here cannot prove or disapprove this)

8. Mary Holliday married William Carson (they stayed in Pa. )

9. Ursula married John Beard (parents of Nancy, Cynthia etc)

10. Charles died in infancy

Posted: 12 May 2007 12:52AM GMT
Hello

I am Jaynie Arango and my 4th great grandfather was Charles Burgess who married Nancy Beard/Baird. Am willing to share their descendents if anyone is interested.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic