Search for content in message boards

Jeremiah Mathews/Matthews

Jeremiah Mathews/Matthews

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 4:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: mathews/matthews
I am looking for Jeremiah Matthews. Not sure when or where he was born, but he married a Susanna Medbury on 1/25/1737/38 in Barrington, Briston, MA. I believe that before the marriage Jeremiah lived in Providence and Susanna lived in Barrington.

I do know that sometime between Jeremiah's son's birth (Benjamin Matthews b June 11, 1755 in Rehoboth, Bristol, MA (now RI)) and Jeremiah's Grandson (son of Benjamin)(John Mathews b December 18, 1782 in Rehoboth, Bristol, MA) the spelling of the last name changed from Matthews (2ts) to Mathews (1t) and has remained that way ever since. (Although sometimes in the census records it will show up with 2-t's- a misspelling by the Census taker.

I would love any additional info you could provide.

Thanks

Angie Mathews-Lauters

Temecula, CA

Re: Jeremiah Mathews/Matthews

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 9:32PM GMT
Happen to run across them(Jeremia and William). They lived near the Barrington/East Providence line. then Rehoboth 1740's period. William has two ma. records first to the widow Mehetable Carpenter in 22 May 1735. She is a Peck b. 1711 and is buried in Barrington died 1740 had two children Sara 1737 and Abigail dy. William Matthews then married (intentions)Ruth Allen daughter of Daniel Allen in 24 Jan 1740. William and Jeremia are in the Rehoboth tax list of 1754(non rateable) then no more. There is a newspaper advertisement for a deserter Daniel Matthews Sailor from Providence and Rehoboth in 1777 age 22. There also was a John and wife Phebe about the same time, thats all i could find.

Re: Jeremiah Mathews/Matthews

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 1:30AM GMT
Surnames: Matthews, Smith
I was wondering if anyone has made any progress on this family. I am looking for the parents of Susannah Matthews, born about 1743. She married in Rehoboth 8 Apr 1768 Stukeley Smith, b. Swansea 2 June 1745, drowned in the Great Gale of 1815 in Cranston, RI, 23 Sept. 1815. Susannah died after 1836 when she applied for a Revolutionary War pension at the age of 93 based on her husband's service. At that time she was living in Woodstock, Conn., probably with son Sutkeley. Susannah and Stukeley had children Ruth (b. 1768), Kezia (b. 1770), William (b. 1772), Sarah (b. 1774), Benjamin M. (b. 1775), Stukeley (b. 1781), Hannah (b. 1787), and Sukey. The children were born in Rehoboth, but Stukeley and Susannah moved with their children to Cranston, RI, after the Revolution. I wonder if Susannah could have been the daughter of Jeremiah and Susannah. The birthdate seems about right.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions