Search for content in message boards

Book: History of Outagamie County

Book: History of Outagamie County

Posted: 24 Feb 2004 9:07AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
I have a copy of the History of Outagamie County (edited by Thomas Ryan, published sometime after 1910) which contains a fair number of biographical sketches of early settlers. I would be happy to look up specific people, as long as the demand isn't too great.

Re: Book: History of Outagamie County

Penny Stinson (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2004 12:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Calkins, Wied, Nelson
Ann, I'd be most grateful if you might check for these families: CALKINS (Henry J., Malvina (nee Dey), Milo, Anna (nee Wied), Harold, Marian, Leslie, Evelyn) and WIED (James, Marian (nee NELSON)) or others of those surnames. They would probably be in the Maple Creek area.

I'll gladly pay for copying and mailing if you find anything. Thanks.

Penny Stinson (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2004 12:35AM GMT
Surnames: HUTCHISON
Also interested in the name HUTCHISON of Maple Creek. Thanks.

Posted: 2 Mar 2004 7:55AM GMT
Hi, Penny! I'm sorry that this is probably going to be a disappointing reply. But the book has some severe limitations: it indexes only men, and fairly prominent ones, and was published in 1911. I don't know how far back in time it attempts to go.

Anyway, I found nothing for the names Calkins, Wied or Hutchison. There was a mention of a John Dey (Greenville, b. 1825 in Montgomery Co, NY). There was nothing about a Malvina, though.

There were two Nelsons: Birdell (from Dale, b. in Medina 6-27-1867) and Nels (Cicero Township, b. 1-23-1863 in Denmark), but neither entry included a Marian.

If you can think of additional names from your male lines, let me know!

(The book really needs a better index!)

Ann

Posted: 6 Mar 2004 4:27AM GMT
Ann,
I'm looking for information on Christina Hartjes, whose family immigrated from the Netherlands in 1880 or thereabouts. She was about 6 at the time. She married Charles DeKoch who had a tragic death--he lay down on a railroad track while likely inebriated and was decapitated by a train. I haven't found an obit or an article about his death and would like to. Christina married Leonard Boyer next.

If you have any info on any of these names/people, I'd be more than happy to reimburse you for any cost of sending and copying.

Ronna

Ann (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2004 10:57AM GMT
I'm sorry, Ronna, but none of the names you mention are in the book.

Ann

Posted: 7 Mar 2004 8:02PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2005 6:34PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Wilson, Shaw, Carter
Would you look up an Elisha Thompson who was married to a Sarah Wilson. They had 11 children of whom 9 were living in 1880 and 1910 in Seymour Twp., Outagamie. A son Harry Thomspon. A daughter Stella was married to an Arthur Korath or Kolath (?). They resided in this township for many years. They were listed in the 1870 census in Black Creek, Outagamie. Alfred Carter also lived in this county for awhile.

Posted: 29 Mar 2004 12:31AM GMT
Ann, maybe you can solve a mystery I've been working on for some time! Looking for 'anything' on Peter Huldrick (Holdrick), he settled in the Fox River Valley ( early 1800's). Also John & Elizabeth Lavigne (Lavine), or John & Elizabeth Dashner
( Dascher, Dashnier). Elizabeth lived in Lawrence, then Kaukauna where she died in 1923. I know your index only has male names so, anything you could find on these surnames could be helpful. thank you & I would also be glad to pay for any copying or poastage.

Re: Book: History of Outagamie County web link to text

Posted: 12 Jun 2004 8:15PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2004 4:38PM GMT
I found this web link of the book that you are talking about. It was recently converted and placed online. Since the files are in Adobe reader format it can be easily searched.

Hope this helps

http://www.foxvalleymemory.org/Ryans/indextext.html

It helped me significantly.

Tom

Posted: 9 Jul 2004 5:46PM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2004 3:25AM GMT
Any info about Bodohs in there? Any infor on the Dawson photo studio in New London (years of operation are what I am looking for) Sure would be a big help.,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic