Search for content in message boards

Francis Littlefield (parent)

Francis Littlefield (parent)

Stephen Snowman Sr. (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2005 12:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have 2 Francis Littlefield's one married Meribah Wardwell.
He was b.Bef. 24 Mar 1635/36 in Titchfield, Hampshire, England Who were his parents?

The second one was b. Bef. 17 Jun 1619 and was married to
Rebecca Rust, Jane Hill, and Mary Wade. I have His parents as Edmund Littlefield & Annis Austin Searching I have found
Emund & Annis as Both of them's parents I don't think this could be. Someone help me please.

Re: Francis Littlefield (parent)

Posted: 8 Jun 2005 9:50PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2006 10:42PM GMT
Surnames: Littlefield
While seemingly improbable, they are by all accounts brothers. Refered to as Francis Sr and Francis Jr. Francis Sr being baptised in Tichfield, Hampshire, England 17 Jun 1619 and Francis Jr baptised 24 Mar 1635/36 at same location. I'm not an expert, but I believe the most popular reason given for this is that Francis Jr. was named in memory of his maternal uncle, whereas Frances Sr. had been named for the paternal side of the family.

Most of my data has been derived from the Littlefield Family Newsletter, published in Wells, Maine where many descendants of Edmund have resided for over 300 years. Info on newsletter and more can be found at www.littlefieldhistory.com if interested.

Posted: 2 Apr 2007 2:10PM GMT
Francis Sr and Francis Jr ARE brothers but Jr was named because Sr was thought to have died because they couldn't find him. I am related through their brother Anthony baptized Oct 7, 1621. My line goes Anthony(1), Edward(2), Samuel(3), Elijah(4), Benjamin(5), John(6), Abner(7), Emily Morse(8), Grace Trevett(9), Robert(10), Candace Hedges(11) and Christina-Marie Briere(12). I am looking for any other information on siblings parents or in-laws. nice to talk to you.
Christina-Marie
cmbriere@yahoo.com

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 12:52AM GMT
Christina-Marie,

Savage's book came out in 1861, and the 1913 NEHGR article, vol. 67, p. 348 says this disputing the reason cited by Savage as to why there were two son's name Francis:

"* The tradition given in Savage, Gen. Dict., vol. 3, p. 100, concerning the reason for naming two sons in this familly Francis, seems to be incorrect."

Jeff
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions