Search for content in message boards

Garretts of Lowndes Co.

Garretts of Lowndes Co.

Posted: 30 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 2:40PM GMT
Surnames: ABBOTT, BARNES, ERNEST, GARRETT, GOLDEN, MAY, MERRITT, MOONEY, PEAVY, ROBINSON, SCARBOROUGH, TANKERSLEY
My great-great grandfather was Silas GARRETT. He was born in Georgia in 1805. He married Mary ERNEST, daughter of George and Sarah ERNEST in May, 1927, probably in Butler Co. as Lowndes Co. did not exist at the time. They had several children: James Madison, Sr., b. Jan. 20, 1829, William Mallam, b. Nov. 14, 1833, Rebecca Jane, b. abt 1836, Ephraim Alexander, b. in 1836, Martha L. “Mattie”, b. abt. 1838, and Josephine, b. abt. 1840, d. before 1850.

James Madison, GARRETT, Sr. married Saphronia Arabella MOONEY on Aug. 1, 1861. They had several children: Jonothan Silas Garrett, b. October 19, 1862, d. Sept. 16, 1863, James Madison Garrett, II, b, September 24, 1864, Alexander Mooney, b. Jan. 9, 1867, d. Aug. 4, 1868, Missouri Belle Garrett, b. August 31, 1869, Ephraim Spencer, b. Dec. 31, 1871, Joseph Ernest Garrett, b. May 3, 1874, Samuel (Henry or Jordan) Garrett, b. May 19, 1877, Benjamin Milton Garrett, b. September 15, 1879, d. Feb. 13, 1889, William Emmit Garrett, b. January 11, 1882, and Mary Alabama Garrett, b. January 30, 1884. I believe most of the children, if not all, were born in Mt. Willing. I also have photographs of some of these siblings. But, I would like to have their family information. Who did they marry, children, etc. I am willing to share what I have.

James Madison, II married first Lucy TANKERSLEY and second Mary BARNES.
Ephraim Spencer married first Rubye Elizabeth MAY and second Francis Kathleen ROBINSON.
Missouri Belle married Emmett Decatur SCARBOROUGH and was a teacher in Lowndes Co. until her retirement.
Joseph Ernest married Charlotte "Lottie" Mary MERRITT. He was a minister among other things.
Samuel (Henry or Jordan) married Marie Louise GOLDEN.
William Emmit married Adele Josephine ABBOTT.
Mary Alabama married Paul Watson PEAVY, Sr.

I am also interested in the other children of Silas GARRETT and Mary ERNEST. I have some information on William Mallam and Ephraim Alexander. I have very little on Rebecca Jane or Martha L. “Mattie.” Again, I will very willingly share all I have on these folks.

William Mallam Garrett

Richard B. Garrett (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Garrett
I am great-grandson of Wm. Mallam Garrett of Lowndes Co. Would be interested in any info on him/ancestors/descendants that you have. I can provide some info on ancestors. Thanks

William F. Abbott

Sandi Cooper (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Abbott
Seeking information about Mary M. Freeman born between
1816 and 1845 to John Freeman and his wife Elizabeth
Chandler in Banks or Franklin County, Georgia.

Mary M. Freeman married William F. Abbott on
3 January 1852 in Franklin County, Georgia.

Mary and William F. Abbott may have moved to Lowndes Co. AL.

Sandi

Mary Freeman & William Abbott

Posted: 12 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 2:40PM GMT
Surnames: FREEMAN, ABBOTT
William & Mary Freeman Abbott do not appear in the 1860, 1870, or 1880 US Census, Lowndes County, Alabama. Searched cemetery records and did not find them. Do not believe George Freeman, father of Eva Freeman Garrett who was the wife of Caswell William Garrett, was related.

Re: William F. Abbott

Donna Stockton Abbott (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2003 1:27PM GMT
Surnames: Abbott, Ashley, Beam, Blanton, Bostick, Milner, Sides, Stockton, Waddle, Wood
There are Abbott families in Marion & Franklin County, AL, but not sure if same family you are looking for.

Re: William F. Abbott

Posted: 1 Sep 2003 2:41PM GMT
Edited: 20 Apr 2004 12:28PM GMT
Hi, what makes you think William F. & Mary Abbott moved to Lowndes County? When?

Re: Garretts of Lowndes Co.

Posted: 20 Oct 2009 9:04PM GMT
Surnames: Garrett, Bonneau, McCall and Duffield
Carolyn, I think we have been in contact before but my email address has changed. I was living in Fayetteville, AR at the time.
Martha Lavinia Garrett was my husband's great-grandmother. She married Dr. John Bruce Bonneau from South Carolina on August 1 1861 in Lowndes Co., Alabama. Dr. Bonneau served as a physician during the civil war and sometime between 1778 and 1880 they relocated to Parker Co., Tx. Their children, Augusta, Esther Mae, Silas G., William W, Richard V., Rebecca A., were born in Alabama and John B. was born in Texas. My husband's grandmother, Esther Mae, married Joseph McCall,of the Kentucky McCalls,in Parker Co, Tx on February 14, 1892. They had two children, James and Anne Vallingham who was my husbands mother. She married W. O. Duffield and they had two sons, W.O.,Jr. and Joe Thompson who was my husband. He died in 1981. If you would like more detailed information, let me know and I will be happy to supply it.
Sincerely,
Shirley Duffield Gore

Posted: 20 Oct 2009 10:07PM GMT
Shirley,

By all means, I would love to have more on this family. The census records show Richard and Rebecca being born in Texas. Contact me directly at cgolowka@prodigy.net and we can go from there. Thanks for contacting me again, cousin.

Carolyn

Posted: 21 Oct 2009 2:26PM GMT
You're so right about the births of Richard and Rebecca being in Texas, too. I hurriedly looked at the census as I was writing my note and picked up the wrong column. Thanks for correcting me. They are an interesting family and I will be happy to provide any information I have to anyone who may be interested.

Sincerely,
Shirley Duffield Gore

Posted: 21 Oct 2009 2:35PM GMT
I failed to report in my previous message that John Paul Bonneau and his wife, Martha Lavinia Garrett had another child after the 1880 census, a little girl they named Anna Marie, for Dr. Bonneau's mother.

Shirley Duffield Gore
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions