Search for content in message boards

Cornelius RAIN

Cornelius RAIN

Barbara Till Prestridge (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: RAIN
Is anyone rsearching Cornelius RAIN of Alachua Co., FL? I came across him while looking for Joseph RAIN descendants who settled in Washington Co., AL. Would like to know if there's any connection. Cornelius was born in GA and raised a family in Alachua Co.

Re: Cornelius RAIN

Posted: 20 Jul 2001 9:02PM GMT
I am interested in Cornelius Rain who was a judge. I don't have enough except that "he came from Fl". He married Margaret Lucas in 1763 in St John's Parrish, GA. He had a son, Cornelius Rain (Jr?) 1764-1842 who died in Washington Co, AL. He married Elizabeth Johnston.

My wife, Sylvia McKay Chastain, is descended from Cornlesius Rain.

Do you have any additional info on him?

Bill

Re: Cornelius Rain

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 8:44PM GMT
Surnames: Rain, Rains, Raines
Hi there my name is Randolph Rain I am descended from:
Stonewall Rain and Martha Allen Thomas
Cornelius Rain and Doris Hedden
Cornelius Rain and Lenorah Coburn
Cornelius Rain and Telullah Burnette
Cornelius Rain and Martha MB Williams who were married in St Marys Ga and moved to Alachua county Fl sometime prior to 1847.

I have unearthed a great deal of information about the Rain family in South Georgia and North Florida from roughly the 1760' on. We left Ga and Settled in N. FL (Nassau River) just prior to the Revolution and remained loyal to King George (Florida was British at the time), then after the Seven Years War Britan ceded Florida back to Spain and Joseph, Cornelius, and William Rain(Jose, Cornelio and Guillermo) stayed in N. Fl and swore allegiance to King Charles of Spain. Then in 1795 the Rains were involved in an attempted overthrow of the Spanish Colonial authorities for which their lands were embargoed (confiscated) and we returned to Georgia and became American citizens. I live here in North Florida and am available to do some research in this area if anyone is interested. Camden County GA has an excellent historical library that contains a fair amount of information about the Rain family if one is persistent enough to find it and Alachua county has one of the best Ancient Records Presences on the internet WWW.alachuaclerk.org. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. rrain62-at-aol.com

Best Regards Copusins!
RRain

Re: Cornelius Rain

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 3:33AM GMT
It appears that your Cornelius, in Alachua by 1847, was a son of Cornelius Rain and wife Susan ??. Cornelius [h of Susan] was a son of Joseph Rain and Winnie ??? Do you agree? If so, do you know Winnie's maiden name, and whether she was the mother of Joseph Rain's other children? What do you know of their origins? Spanish census indicates Pa or Md [depending on the translation] for Joseph. Kay
per page

Find a board about a specific topic