Search for content in message boards

Bachman Memorial Orphanage

Bachman Memorial Orphanage

Charlotte Thornton (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2003 7:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Taylor Young/Mary Prince
Need information regarding Bachman Memorial Orphanage that was in Farner Tenn 1912. Trying to find information regarding my mother, Mary Ellen Young whose father (we think) was a Taylor Young (possibly a Dr.) and mother (we think) was a Mary Prince. We do not think they were married.
My mother was born around 1920. She attended Farner Elementary School (records destroyed in fire in 1935). High School was Copper Basin High School, Copperhill, TN, class of 1939. Over the years we have done many searches for information but none have been done since the availability of the internet. This is the first time we have tried to post a message to see if we can get any replys. If anyone has any information or know of a source where to look I would appreciate a reply. Although my mom has never known her true identity she has never let it bother her. But at age 83 time is beginning to get away fom us. Thank you to anyone that may be able to help.

Re: Bachman Memorial Orphanage

charlthorn (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 2003 8:33PM GMT
Please note change of email address. Still looking for info on orphanage.

Posted: 1 Jul 2003 10:53PM GMT
As of July 1, 2003 email address is charlthorn@hotmail.com.

West (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2003 3:55PM GMT
We go through Farner quite often. We have often wondered what the boarded-up brick buildings were on the east side of the highway going through Farner. We stopped at the post office yesterday in Farner (which is virtually across the highway from the buildings), and asked about the buildings. We were told it was formerly an orphanage. We were told the people living in the main house own all the land and buildings, and were very friendly if we wanted to stop and talk to them. We were also told there's an annual reunion of the surviving people who lived at the orphanage. I suggest you contact the post office in Farner and ask them for the name of the people who own the land. It must have been something in its day.

Kamy Rayburn Gamble (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2004 2:03AM GMT
Bachman has been through many changes over the years. I don't know for how long but it is associated with the Presbyterian Church, USA. It falls under the East Tennessee Presbytery. It is now a school for children with ADD and other learning problems. I remember Art Phlug was the director for years until he retired. He is still active in the Presbytery. I'm looking at an old directory for Presbytery and his mailing address is as follows:

Arthur Pflug
678 Bough Spring Road
McDonald, TN 37353

He may be able to tell you if the old records still exist or not.

Hope this helps in some way.

Posted: 10 Feb 2004 2:05AM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2004 1:27PM GMT
I almost forgot - Bachman is located in Bradley County, TN.

Posted: 10 Feb 2004 2:09AM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2004 1:27PM GMT
I just read the other reply to your inquiry. Let me say the present Bachman school is in McDonald, TN in Bradley County. It has been there for years - the gentleman that I gave you the address should be able to give you some history.

Posted: 24 Oct 2011 4:10AM GMT
Surnames: Iverson
Hi, my father, Roy Iverson and his two siblings were at Farner, Tn. Orphanage. I've visited the farm, but cannot find information. Have you had any luck.

Peace & Regards,
Jackie Scarbrough

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 3:56AM GMT
My dad knew Roy Iverson for a short time at the orphanage. You can reach me at netgk@hotmail.com for more info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions