Search for content in message boards

Samuel Simmons b.c. 1850 Corning area?

Samuel Simmons b.c. 1850 Corning area?

Posted: 2 Dec 2009 2:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dickey, Simmons
I am looking for any information on Samuel Simmons. In the 1860 census, he is 11 years old and living with Lester Dickey in Corning and says that he was born in Steuben County. There is also a George Simmons, age 20 living with the Dickey family as well - I assume this is a brother? George was a boatman, as was Lester.

The Dickey family - and Samuel Simmons - moved to Lewisburg, PA by 1870. Lester served in the Civil War from Union Co., PA, so he clearly moved there prior to 1865. Samuel's grave also has a Civil War marker, but he did not serve in the same company as Lester, so I do not know if he served out of New York...While in Lewisburg, both Lester and Samuel were boatmen/boat builders.

I am looking for any information on Samuel or this Simmons family. I do not know if Samuel's parents died prior to 1860, or if he was just staying with his older brother for other reasons. I cannot find Samuel in the 1850 census (he might not have been born?) nor could I identify George in the 1850 census, or trace him after 1860.

Again, any info is really appreciated.

Thanks,
Kristin
kristin8881@yahoo.com

Re: Samuel Simmons b.c. 1850 Corning area?

Posted: 16 Dec 2009 3:53PM GMT
kg - did you try LDS Family Search? -he's in there: US Census 1880 -Samuel Simmons born 1848 in NY; he reported he was 32, his wife was Annie M. age 26, born PA; children: Anna M. 7, Walter C. 5, & Emma M. 2 (all born in NY) -Samuel reported he was a boatbuilder living in Lewisburg, PA -hope this helps, Resp, GJ Messmer

Posted: 4 Jul 2011 4:51PM GMT
The Sam Simmons (Samuel Way Simmons) that has the Civil War marker is from Great Valley, New York. He served with the 154th Regiment - New York. Father is Seth Simmons, mother is Hannah Way Simmons. Samuel Way Simmons died in a POW camp during the war. He did not have a brother George. He lived in Cattaragus County, New York & was born in New Hampshire. I don't think your Samuel Simmons is the same one since Samuel Way Simmons never lived in PA nor was he a boat builder. If you need any further information about Samuel Way Simmons, please let me know. Good luck in your search!
Judy

Posted: 4 Jul 2011 7:39PM GMT
I agree that it must be a different Sam Simmons, since I know my Sam Simmons lived into the 1890s in Pennsylvania. Where is Great Valley in relation to Corning or Steuben County? Perhaps there is a connection...maybe Seth Simmons was an uncle or other relation? Do you know anything about Seth Simmons and his family (specifically brothers or uncles)?

Thanks!

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 3:28AM GMT
Surnames: Simmons
Great Valley is in Cattaraugus County, 2 counties west of Stueben County. Here's what I do know (cited) for Samuel Way Simmons:
Father: David P Simmons (1801-1872) I've hit a wall for his father, David Simmons, so I don't have any information about uncles.

Brothers: Bradley Simmons (b 1830-?), Seth Simmons (1831-1885), Josiah Simmons (1837-1862).

He also had a son, Samuel W Simmons (1857-1937) who lived & died in Cattaraugus County.

Seth Simmons (my g-g-grandfather), 1832-1885. He had a son, Seth, but I know he was institutionalized in a State Hospital, so there's another dead end for you.

If you know your Sam Simmons lived into the 1890's in PA, it doesn't look like anyone in this branch would work for you. As I continue my search for David Simmons' family, I will keep an eye out for you & post here if I find anything.

In your search, if you come across anything about David Simmons, please remember me! Thanks,

Judy

Posted: 22 Sep 2012 2:01AM GMT
Judy - I am doing research on my family and it has lead me to this entry by you. My gg grandmother is Sarah Simmons Morton, sister to Samuel, daughter to David P. and Hannah Way Simmons. Were you ever able to find anthing more on David Simmons. I have Hannah's parents as Samuel Way and Hannah Sterling Way. Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks, Trudy

Posted: 22 Sep 2012 5:31AM GMT
Hi Trudy,

Yes - we're researching the same family. I never knew what happened to Sarah Pelton Simmons (dau of David P & Hannah Way Simmons) - maybe we could share? Sarah would have been Seth's (my g-g-grandfather) sister.

My research agrees with yours - their father, David Pelton Simmons (1801-1872) was married to Hannah Way (1801-1868). I have a lot more on the Way family. David P & Hannah had the following children:

Sarah Pelton Simmons, b 1824 in Hanover, NH
Samuel Way Simmons, b 1827 in Hanover, NH, d 1864 in VA
David Bradley (DB) Simmons, b 1829 in NH, d 1906 in NE
Seth Simmons, b 1832 in VT, d 1885 in NY
Harriet Simmons Green, b 1835 in NH, d 1918 in NY
Josiah Simmons, b 1838, d 1862 in NY
Mary E Simmons Calkins, b 1842, d 1933 in NY (I still need documentation for her death)

I'm currently working on this family line (David & his father Samuel, etc) and would like to correspond with you to share information. Please contact me at mjjfreed@comcast.net

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Judy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic