Search for content in message boards

Descendants of Josiah BIGGS, d.1840 Warren Co.,Indiana

Descendants of Josiah BIGGS, d.1840 Warren Co.,Indiana

eric (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2005 7:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 May 2005 7:04AM GMT
Surnames: Biggs
I would like to interact with people researching this family. There is a possible connection with a Biggs family whom I've been researching.
My gggrandmother was Laura A. Biggs, b.1848 in Indiana. Her known siblings were Martha E. (b.around 1850) and Harvey (b.1854). They were orphans living with Nancy Wood (b.1807 in Virginia) in Covington, Indiana in 1860.
The 1880 census shows Harvey Biggs in Warren Co. living with the family of Zachariah Clem. Zachariah's cousin was married to Newton Biggs Hiatt, son of Isom Hiatt and Elizabeth Biggs. This Elizabeth was a daughter of Josiah. Her brothers were Reuben, Uriah, Daniel, Josiah, and William.
Another connection is that the Clems were also related to the Wood family of Virginia. Also, a Martha Biggs is found on the 1870 census of Johnson Co.,Indiana living with the Alexander family. Louisa Alexander was married to a Clem.
The Fountain County Census of 1830 shows Josiah's son Uriah (md. Sarah Smith in Ohio 1824) and William (married Margaret Forman in Ohio).
If anyone has information on these families, I'd like to hear from you.

Re: Descendants of Josiah BIGGS, d.1840 Warren Co.,Indiana

Debbie Motsinger (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2005 10:23PM GMT
Edited: 26 Sep 2005 12:07PM GMT
Hi Eric,
I am a descendant of Josiah Biggs Sr, through his son Josiah Jr, and grandson Josiah III. It would be interesting to find out exactly what part of Virginia these orphans and others possibly related to the Biggs family were from. As far as I know, we do not know what county in Virginia Josiah Biggs Sr was from, or if it definitely was Virginia. As some people say they were from Pennsylvania or possibly Virginia. This is because of conflicting info given to census takers. Debbie

eric (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2005 5:28AM GMT
Hi Debbie,
We've made some progress since I last posted this message, but still don't have the parents of the three orphans. It appears that this Nancy Wood was originally a Dixon, and her family came from the Augusta Co. area.
I've found several ties to the Dixon family, but nothing connecting them with the Biggs except for a reference to A Uriah Biggs who married Jane Dixon in 1843.
Do you know of any relationships between the Biggs and Dixon families?

Debbie Motsinger (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2005 5:49AM GMT
I looked through some of my notes tonight, and couldn't find anything that referred to any Dixons, although it sounds vaguely familiar, for some reason. If the Uriah Biggs that married Jane Dixon is Josiah Jr's son, then they are connected to the Biggs line.Sorry I'm not much help.

Posted: 25 May 2009 7:35PM GMT
Hi there. I do not know whether you are still researching Josiah Biggs, Sr., or not. . . .but my husband is a direct decendant of his through his son Reuben Biggs. We have not yet been able to get any further than Josiah Sr. in our research thus far. We continue to show possibilites of his coming from Virginia or Pennsylvania.

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 1:05AM GMT
I am a direct descendant of this Josiah Biggs Sr. through his son Reuben.
I am finding it maddening that I can't get past Josiah and now finding that nobody else is either.
Are there any stories about Josiah? And does anyone know what his wife Elizabeth's maiden name was?

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 2:39AM GMT
Has your husband taken or considering taking the Y-DNA? I did take the Family Tree Y-DNA about 3 years ago and was able to help prove my link to a particular Biggs line.

I would be glad to answer questions or point you to the web site.

Tommy Biggs

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 6:07AM GMT
ive only gotten as far back as josiah myself if anyone ever gets back beyond that would u let me know
per page

Find a board about a specific topic