Search for content in message boards

lavenia Willey

lavenia Willey

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 8:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
She is the daughter of William J. Willey of Marion County, Virginia (now West virginia). I'm looking for any information on their family and what became of them. I know that William J. moved to Missouri in 1865 and died there in 1867. He is the brother of Waitman Willey (U.S. Senator from West Virginia). Thanks

Re: lavenia Willey

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 1:42AM GMT
Surnames: Willey
Lavernia married A.J. Morgan Dec 31 1866 in Pettis County, Missouri. So far that is all I have been able to find out about him. Lavernia was the 5th of the 6 children of William J. and Elizabeth Morgan Willey. Lavernia and her sister Elizabeth moved to Missouri with their parents in 1866 after the case against Col Willey was dropped for lack of evidence. He volunteered his services to the Confederacy and rose to the rank of Colonel in its army. In October, 1865, he was indicted by a Marion County grand jury on a felony charge for his alleged part for having, in May, 1861, burned the B&O railroad bridge spanning Buffalo Creek, near his home, to prevent the eastward advance of Union soldiers. He was captured and held prisoner for most of the war. In April 1866, the indictment was quashed because of insufficient evidence to prosecute it. About the same time Col. Willey moved to a farm near Sedalia, Missouri, where he died in January 22, 1868. By the way he was Waitman T. Willey's half brother - both their mothers died while they were small children.
So far I haven't been able to find out a great deal about the children of William J and Elizabeth and would welcome any information you are willing to share.
Carol

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 3:04AM GMT
Thank you Carol. That is very interesting. I am writing a biography of John Henry Stover Funk, and have been baffled by the Willey family for some time. Funk took a job as a doctor in Marion County in the spring of 1860 after graduating from the Winchester Medical College. There he met William J. Willey and fell in love with his daughter, who he called "Venie". I have about 40 letters from and to Funk while he was in marion County to back this up. William j. and Venie, however just seemed to vanish after that though. BTW, Funk rose from captain of his militia company to the rank of colonel, and died here in Winchester commanding the Stonewall Brigade in the Third Battle of Winchester in Sept 1864. My name is Jerry Holsworth and I live in Winchester. If you're on facebook look me up and become my friend that. I've written two books on Winchester during the war and both include Funk. I'd also like to get the primary sources you used for that information for my book. Also look up my name on Amazon and you'll see the books that I have written.

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 12:13PM GMT
Carol,

If you would rather do this by email my email address is: jerryh670@gmail.com

I am an archivists at the Handley Library here in Winchester, and going to Kansas or Missouri to research is beyond my means. Are you realted to Lavernia? I have a lot of information to share with you if you want it. Let me know

Jerry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions