Search for content in message boards

Michael Mooney

Michael Mooney

Posted: 11 Jan 2005 2:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Michael left Ireland, presumedly from County Meath, for America in 1850. Father's name is patrick and mother's name is Ann. Does anyone have any connection to these Mooney's? Any suggestions on where I can find information? Thanks.

Re: Michael Mooney

Posted: 13 Jan 2005 8:23PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jun 2005 3:31AM GMT
Michael,

Have you verified in US civil and church records that he was indeed born in Co. Meath and if so, do you have a date of birth for him as well as a location in Co. Meath, i.e. townland and civil parish, where he was born?

Eilís O'Hara

Peter Mooney (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2005 10:30PM GMT
Eilis, unfortunately the answer to both of your questions is no. The information I have is coming from a relative who has done some extensive research on the family but the knowledge I have starts with Michael coming to the U.S. From census (U.S.) it puts him being born between January 23 and June 13, 1831. His father is supposed to have been Patrick and his mother Ann but I have no records to verify that information. I can' verify that County Meath is the birthplace.

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 2:02PM GMT
Peter,

In order to begin your search for Michael Mooney's family in Ireland or for anyone in Ireland or researching here to make a connection, you would need to know specifically not only what county he was born in but also the townland/civil parish within that county.

There are generally no surviving census records for the 1800s for Ireland. Those from 1821 through 1851 were largely destroyed during the Irish Civil War in 1922 when the Four Courts Building in Dublin, where they were housed, was bombarded. The 1861 and 1871 census records were destroyed by the British Government (there was no Irish Government at that time) shortly after they were completed for confidentiality reasons. And those from 1881 and 1891 were destroyed by the British Government for use as pulp during WWI.

Civil registration didn't start in Ireland until 1864 (Protestant marriages in 1845) so the source for your family's information would be church registers for the specific location, i.e. townland/civil parish/county where they resided. A description of these civil divisions is at http://www.ancestry.com/library/view/news/articles/2435.asp
A list of the names of all the civil divisions is at http://www.seanruad.com and select any county to see the names. You would need to know also the emigrants parents names as well as their religion. LDS, the Mormons, have copies of some of the church registers and they would be available through a LDS Family History Centre.

So US records would be your source to find the specific location in Ireland for your ancestors as well as parents' names. Those records would include:

For the Emigrant: civil and religious marriage and death records, naturalisation records (esp. the Petition for Naturalisation/Declaration of Intent which provided more information than the final papers), obituaries, cemetery information, tombstones, and wills.

For the Emigrant's children: civil and religious records including birth, baptism, marriage, death, as well as the cemetery information, and tombstones.

In religious records you may also want to pay special note to the sponsors who were often relatives or neighbours from the home area in Ireland.

Eilís O'Hara

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 10:12PM GMT
Eilis, thank you for the information. I have Michael marriage certificate unfortunately it doesn't give a clue about parents. I do know who stood up for Michael ans Catherine, though. Also, since Michael to the U.S. alone at 20 and ended up in Syracuse, NY it seems likely that he emigrated to a place when relatives were living. I'll keep digging and thanks again.

Pete.

Posted: 22 Jan 2005 6:49PM GMT
Eilis, one more attempt. I found a listing for Patrick Mooney and Anne Richards in Leinster. Patrick is listed as having been born about 1804 in Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin, Leinstrer province, Ireland. Anne Richards was born about 1808 same diocese. They are listed as being married in 1829. Michael was born about 1831. No children are listed. I realize this is really reaching but is there someway for me to pursue this further? Thanks.

Pete.

Posted: 23 Jan 2005 1:23PM GMT
Pete,

What source did you use to find that information and what source did the poster use, i.e. what was the religious parish where the information was found? There are 56 RC parishes in the Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin. Also, is the mother's surname the same as your Michael Mooney's mother?

There are no surviving census records for the 1800s for Ireland and civil registration didn't start until 1864 (Protestant marriages in 1845). So the reason you need to know specifically where "your" Michael Mooney originated, i.e. townland and civil parish as well as county and his parents names (incl. mother's surname) is to identify what the church might be for the location where they originated as well as which of the Mooneys listed in that church register are "yours".

There's a description of these civil divisions at http://www.ancestry.com/library/view/news/articles/2435.asp
There's a list of the names of all the civil divisions at http://www.seanruad.com and just select your county of interest. There are over 64,000 townlands in Ireland and 2,500 civil parishes. The civil parishes aren't the same as the religious parishes.

Some church registers have been microfilmed and are available through a LDS Family History Centre. Other microfilms are available only through the National Library in Dublin while other churches' registers have not been microfilmed at all. So you wouldn't know what would be available for research until you know specifically what that church was.

So US records are really your research source to find specifically where Michael Mooney originated and his parents names (i.e. mother's maiden name) before you start trying to find the family in Ireland.

Eilís O'Hara

Posted: 23 Jan 2005 2:34PM GMT
Eilis, I always appreciate your information. As I said before I am really searching (grasping) for information. I got the marriage information from the LDS church records, International Genealogy Index. The submitter's name is not given. The only information I have is that the Michael's father was named Patrick and his mother's name was Ann (Anne?). I don't know her maiden name. Supposedly they came from theCounty of Meath. The birth dates dates and marriage date "fit" into Michael but I have no evidence these are the right people. Would there have been any available immigration records that might provide clues? Thanks as always.

Pete.

Posted: 23 Jan 2005 3:29PM GMT
Pete,

Your main sources for research would be:

1. US Federal Census Records (and if there was a state census in any of the states where Michael or his children lived.) They would give you locations for the following other research sources:

2. For Michael: his civil and religious marriage and death records, obituary, tombstone information, naturalisation records (esp. the Petition for Naturalisation/Declaration of Intent which had more information than the final papers), cemetery records and will.

3. For Michael's children: their civil and religious birth, baptism, marriage and death records, obituaries, wills and cemetery information. If any of them were born in Ireland, their naturalisation records also and you'd continue looking for any information in their children's records.

You should pay special attention in church records to any sponsors because they were often relations or neighbours from the home area in Ireland. Sometimes US churches required proof of baptism before they would marry the emigrants in the US. Occasionally churches kept those records but as a general rule they didn't.

Sponsors may also help you identify if Michael had any other siblings sho also emigrated. Irish emigrants often didn't emigrate by themselves but more often with either siblings or other connections in Ireland. The civil and religious records for those connections would be more sources.

The closest sources to "immigration records" would be the naturalisation records or ships lists. Ships lists are extremely difficult to research because you would need to know:
a) the name of the ship
b) the date of the voyage
c) the port where the emigrant went to.

Irish emigrants often went to Canada (cheaper voyage) and many of them went on cargo vessels as ballast. The vessels would pick up lumber in Canada for use in England. Before 1865 there were no requirements for passenger vessels to keep passenger lists and, of course, cargo vessels wouldn't generally have kept any passenger records. In addition, most ships lists haven't been microfilmed or even survived.

There were no passport requirements, and no records in Ireland of who left or where they went. Millions of people emigrated from Ireland to not only the US but Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and many other corners of the world. So there's no "central" immigration list either in Ireland or the US. Many Irish and English ports were used as ports of departure.

Eilís O'Hara

Mooney Ancestors

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 8:41PM GMT
My GGrandfather Patrick Mooney was born about 1832, believe in County Kildare (ajoins County Meath, parents were Patrick & Jane (Daly) Mooney, immigrated to New Jersey about 1852, married Rosanna McKee 1856 in Trenton, New Jersey, moved to Edgerton, Wisconsin and died ther in 1916. He had siblings Thomas (1836-1891, Marcella, Richard, Bridget, Mary.

We recently visited Ireland and found several Mooneys in the old Dunfierth Cemetery, County Kildare, Ireland which is near the border with Enfield, County Meath.

Does any of this information fit with your Mooney ancestors ??
Bill Hanke, behanke@att.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic