Search for content in message boards

William McDaniel, born 1790 in South Carolina

William McDaniel, born 1790 in South Carolina

Posted: 17 Dec 2000 6:59PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jun 2005 7:43PM GMT
I am looking for the parents and siblings of William McDaniel, born 1790 in South Carolina. He married Rebecca ? , who was born 1805 in South Carolina. Their children: Sanford, Amanda, Washington, Drayton, and James. The family was living in Gwinnett Cty, Ga. by 1850. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank's! Julie.

MCDaniel surname

Posted: 17 Jan 2001 6:51PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2001 3:46AM GMT
Where is Gwinnett city. Ga?? for your McDaniel(s)? I too am looking for McDaniels
in Georgia--maybe we can help each other-however mine is a huge mystery I've worked
on for years. Does you McDaniel data have a Nora or something close to that spelling---
maybe Clara? born abt-1869--has an older sis
named--Polk or Poke--could be a nickname, and their could have been other siblings too
dont know? send your e-mail, will tell you
my story, and you can see if anything matches.

Helen Ross--melr@rapidnet.com

William McDaniel of SC and GA

Posted: 7 Feb 2001 12:04PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 12:32AM GMT
Sorry, but I just moved and do not have my computer with all my info hooked up. What I have in print is James McDaniel born about 1750 in Ireland, married Mary?(born abt 1760 in BArnwell, SC) 1779 in Barnwell District, SC and died about 1810 in Barnwell District, SC. They had a son William, Born January 16, 1782 in Barnwell, SC married Sarah Couch January 6, 1808 in Barnwell, SC and died September 29, 1848 in Gwinnett County, GA. Sarah died in Gwinnett November 11, 1862.
Their daughter, Elizabeth Soloma McDaniel born December 24, 1819 in SC married Elijah Pittard Jan 7, 1838 in Gwinnett County, GA. She died in Gwinnett County, GA Feb 17, 1899. Their son, Charles Hamilton Pittard was my great grandfather. His son, Mack Wheeler Pittard SR, my grandfather, and my dad is Mack Wheeler Pittar Junior.
On the webpage "The Pittard Connection" is an entry about the McDaniel Family. States that James was a Sergeant in George Liddle's Company in the Rev War. William was executor of his father's estate in SC and then came to Georgia between 1821 and 1823 by ox cart. He moved to a virgin Forest and made camp beside a spring, a mile south of Camp Creek Church. Next they went to what is now Liberty Babtist Church at Lilburn. Here he purchased land and spent the rest of his life.
Of William's 11 children, the first 6 were born in SC. His 6th child was Elizabeth Saloma who married Elijah Pittard. Many of their descendents still live in Gwinnett county today. That is my dad's family.
Hope that this might help.
I cannot find a thing about Jame's wife Mary, and nothing about William's wife Sarah Couch. If you ever do, please let me know. Thanks, Penny Please email me at pennypit@yahoo.com Thanks again.

William McDaniel of SC and GA

Posted: 7 Feb 2001 12:07PM GMT
Gwinnett County, GA is a little north of Atlanta. I was born there in Duluth. The McDaniels and Pittards still live there to this day. Here is what I have about my McDaniel family ties:
Sorry, but I just moved and do not have my computer with all my info hooked up. What I have in print is James McDaniel born about 1750 in Ireland, married Mary?(born abt 1760 in BArnwell, SC) 1779 in Barnwell District, SC and died about 1810 in Barnwell District, SC. They had a son William, Born January 16, 1782 in Barnwell, SC married Sarah Couch January 6, 1808 in Barnwell, SC and died September 29, 1848 in Gwinnett County, GA. Sarah died in Gwinnett November 11, 1862.
Their daughter, Elizabeth Soloma McDaniel born December 24, 1819 in SC married Elijah Pittard Jan 7, 1838 in Gwinnett County, GA. She died in Gwinnett County, GA Feb 17, 1899. Their son, Charles Hamilton Pittard was my great grandfather. His son, Mack Wheeler Pittard SR, my grandfather, and my dad is Mack Wheeler Pittar Junior.
On the webpage "The Pittard Connection" is an entry about the McDaniel Family. States that James was a Sergeant in George Liddle's Company in the Rev War. William was executor of his father's estate in SC and then came to Georgia between 1821 and 1823 by ox cart. He moved to a virgin Forest and made camp beside a spring, a mile south of Camp Creek Church. Next they went to what is now Liberty Babtist Church at Lilburn. Here he purchased land and spent the rest of his life.
Of William's 11 children, the first 6 were born in SC. His 6th child was Elizabeth Saloma who married Elijah Pittard. Many of their descendents still live in Gwinnett county today. That is my dad's family.
Hope that this might help.
I cannot find a thing about Jame's wife MAry, and nothing about William's wife Sarah Couch. If you ever do, please let me know. Thanks, Penny Please email me at pennypit@yahoo.com Thanks again.

William L. McDaniel

Posted: 21 Feb 2001 4:24PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jun 2001 10:36PM GMT
DO you have a William L. McDaniel born SC, 1827 and married Amanda abt. 1863 in GA? They had 6 children in the 1880 GA Census: Loula, Madizamus (female), John Young, Nora, Sallie Estelle, Mary A. William was 53 in the 1880 Census.

William McDaniel

Posted: 22 Feb 2001 9:41AM GMT
Sorry, that is not my branch of the family. Good luck to you.

Re: William McDaniel of SC and GA

Posted: 13 Nov 2004 3:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have just recently discovered that Drayton McDaniel son of William and Rebecca is part of my family. William, Rebecca and family lived next door to Nathan and Fancy Dobbs in Cains District Gwinnett County in 1850. Is Rebecca a daughter of Nathan?

Drayton married Kizzie Hall. The Hall connection is my link to the McDaniels and I am interested in finding out where the family lived and possibly where they might be buried. My e-mail is dorajohnson@charter.net and I would welcome sharing information. Thanks.

Re: William McDaniel, born 1790 in South Carolina

Posted: 13 Nov 2004 3:21AM GMT
Julie: Is Rebecca daughter of Nathan and Fancy Dobbs? Nathan and Fancy lived next door to William and Rebecca in Cains District, Gwinnett County Ga in 1850. If this is the case I have some information that you might be interested in. My e-mail is dorajohnson@charter.net.

Penny Maroldo (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2004 6:16PM GMT
I do not have a William married to Rebecca in my family tree. My William married Sarah Couch, and any other Williams in my tree I do not have spouses for them....one of those is probably yours.
If you have any dates for your William and Rebecca and their son, Drayton, and who that William's parents are....maybe we can make a connection.
My William had a son, William Henry born April 20, 1822 married to Melissa Frances Barnett. They had a son, William born March 25, 1845, and I do not have his wife's name.
Here is what I know about the Gwinnett McDaniels.
THE MCDANIEL FAMILY
From "History of Gwinnett County, 1818-1960", Volume II, by James C. Flanigan, copyright 1959 , we find the following information:

"Among the early settlers of the western part of Gwinnett Co. was William McDaniel, who married Sarah Couch in South Carolina. He was Scotch-Irish, strong, sturdy and determined. In religious beliefs, he was puritanical, in convictions firm, exceedingly thrifty and industrious, but somewhat lacking in pride and polish.

He was the son of James McDaniel, born in Ireland, who died in 1810 in Barnwell Dist., South Carolina. James was a sergeant in George Liddle's Company in the Revolutionary War. William was the executor of his father's estate, then he came to Georgia between 1821 and 1823. Through virgin forests he went to Gwinnett Co. in ox carts, along with other settlers to the area. Their first camp was beside a spring, a mile south of Camp Creek Church, and it is said that a young lady in the company stuck her riding switch into the damp ground by the spring. It lived and grew there still in 1959, a huge sycamore tree. Their next camp was at what is now Liberty Baptist Church at Lilburn. There they found a spring of good water, and their first supper included bread baked on a hot plow. And here William McDaniel purchased land and spent the rest of his life.

The log house William built stood long into the 20th century. There was a hall through the middle leading across a breeze way to the kitchen behind it. On each side of the hall was a large room with rock chimneys stacked with red mud, each chimney having a wide rock fireplace. A closed door led up a crude winding stairway to the second story. The board roof was steep and gabled at each end. The logs were weather-boarded over to keep out the cold. In the yard were designs of flat rocks, ornamental cedars, and English boxwoods. Under the south room was a cellar.

Among the things William brought from South Carolina was a small silver-plated box which once bore the McDaniel coat of arms. This has been handed down to the oldest son for many generations, and is still in the family. Young McDaniels are still being raised on the land William cleared, and much of the land is still in the family.

The original settlement was named McDaniel, after this family, but was chartered as Lilburn in 1910. William gave an acre of land for the original Camp Creek Church, and was one of its founders. He then served as presbyter for the formation in 1824 of Sweetwater Primitive Baptist after being turned out of Camp Creek for standing fast for a missionary program, which was contrary to the belief of that church.

Then, in his home, next to a fresh water spring below today's Lilburn First Baptist Church, he and ten others met in 1840 to form a missionary Baptist church, Liberty Missionary Baptist. There was a difference of opinion again over a missionary program so he gave the land and the logs to build the new church in 1841. Four members of his family were charter members, and he is buried near that first building. Liberty's name was changed to Lilburn Baptist, but the old graveyard is still referred to as Liberty.

Of his 11 children, the first six were born in South Carolina. His sixth child was Elizabeth Saloma who married Elijah Pittard, son of Thompson Pittard. Their descendants are still in Gwinnett Co. to this day." (Penny's note: these are my ancestors)

Sources for birth, death, marriage and burial dates and sites:
Title: McDaniel History, 1947, by Lucille McDaniel Baldwin
Title: Gedcom from John Musser, Date of Import: Oct 23, 2001

Source for number and sexes of children in household 1830:
1830 Census Gwinnett County, GA
1 M 1-5yr 2 M 5-10yr 1 M 10-15yr 2 M 15-20yr 1 M 20-30yr 1 M 50-60yr 2 F 1-5yr 1 F 5-10yr 2 F 15-20yr 1 F 40-50yr, 4 M & 4 F slaves, 22 Total in household

Source: News-Herald, Lawenceville, GA, August 18, 1949:
"Besides their own eleven children William and Sarah McDaniel reared five children of his sister, who married a Phillips."
That is a total of 16 children raised!!!!

Posted: 6 Oct 2005 2:32AM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2006 5:59PM GMT
In Gwinnett County, Ga, there were 2 William McDaniels. One married Rebecca...my line, the other married Sarah Couch, an as yet unconnected line.
In my line of William and Rebecca, they had a grandson Henry McDaniel. At that time, there was also another Henry McDaniel who was Governor (?) in Ga. These Henrys do not connect.
William and Rebecca had 2 sons who were very close. Their son Bluford married Elizabeth Hannah. Their daughter, Elizabeth married Sanford Hannah. Their son Jackson married 3 times: Mahala Cook, Martha Ramey & Potia Beam.
My line is through Jackson.
Bluford, Jackson and Elizabeth appear to have been very close. They always lived near each other and often one or two of the children of one family was living in the household of another.
These William's and Henry's were very confusing to me for a long time!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic