Search for content in message boards

Blake family info

Blake family info

Posted: 5 Feb 2002 4:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Mar 2002 1:29AM GMT
Nathan Blake born oct 1819 died aug 1878 buried in new hope cemetary we assume in tn. his father was William Blake , Nathan was married to Elizabeth Summers she was born nov 18 1827 died apr. 25 1891 also buried in new cemetary. they had 14 children Kathren, b 9-18-1845, John Henry b3-61847, Zachrich b 8-7-1849,Thomas b 10-17-1851,Christopher C b 12-18-1852.d 10-14-1943, Geo. Washington b 9-30-1854, James F. b 5-20-1856,David b 11-23-1858,d 2-25-1931, Eliza Barnette ( may be married last name)b 2-27-1860 went to Wa. state,Robert K. b6-14-1862,d 12-30 1897,was married to Susan Parilee Delaney, Benjamin F. b 1867, Mary b 3-17-1865 d 8-11-1906, Joseph b 10-25-1869 d 5-13-1953. If any has any info on any of these please let know. Thanks

Re: Blake family info

Posted: 6 Feb 2002 1:28PM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2003 5:41AM GMT
Surnames: BLAKE
Vivian,

WHERE did all this take place? Where is New Hope Cemetery?

Re: Blake family info

Posted: 6 Feb 2002 2:32PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2002 1:29AM GMT
I guess in tn. maybe around Harriman Tn. in 1980 a cousin from Oakdale Tn. told my sister-in-law that he had heard that a Wm. Blake brought 3 children Nathan,Eli, and Lucinda down the river(?) about 1831 ,he left them in a cabin north of Harriman a Ahijah Snow found the children and raised them for awhile Eli married Rosa Kittrell they had one child Linda she d in 1957 Lucinda married Charles Davis lived in Harriman she died 1874.the cousin also said he visited some Blake's around Knoxville they had a relative William who the Indians tracked to the Holston river and killed about this time ., I have no one to ask ,everyone that i Know is dead, if anyone can help please do. Thanke Vivian

Re: Blake family info Morgan Tennessee

~Paula~ (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2002 5:37PM GMT
Classification: Census
Thank you for a very informative message. I believe based on what you have written that the Lucinda Blake (married name Davis) I am researching is a sister to the below Nathan. See 1850 Morgan Co Tn Census below . The Nathan Blakes are living next to relative Melinda Davis Staples sister of Charles Greer Davis b. 1826 who married a Lucinda Blake. My Lucinda Blake was born about 1825. Before finding your message that was all I knew about Lucinda Blake's ancestors

Morgan County, TN - 1850 Federal Census
1850 Census TN MORGAN 19TH SUBDIVISION - EAST TN /MF#432

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/tn/morgan/census/1850/1...

13 440 BLAKE NATHAN 30 M W FARMER
14 440 BLAKE ELIZABETH 23 F W 15 440 BLAKE JOHN H. 4 M W 16 440 BLAKE ZACHARIAH T. 2 M W 17 440 BLAKE WILLIAM 1 M W

18 441 BLAKE ELI 38 M W FARMER
19 441 BLAKE KATHERINE 38 F W

Posted: 12 Dec 2002 1:26AM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2004 2:18AM GMT
Surnames: Blake, Snow & Staples
Paula,
I am also researching the Blake, Snow & Staples families in Morgan county.. I would love to exchange information with you. Please contact me at Famtracr@bellsouth.net

Brenda

~Paula~ (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2002 4:02AM GMT
I couldn't find a New Hope Cemetery in Morgan Co TN but I did find a Mount Hope Cemetery near Wartburg. Perhaps that is where Lucinda Blake Davis born 1825 is buried. Anyone know if she is listed in a Morgan County Cemetery Book ?
http://www.cem-maps.com/usgstnmorgan.htm

Some Blake / Indian encounters

~Paula~ (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2003 2:38PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Bullard, McKenney,Dorman,Killbuck,Neff
I could find no connection to the later Nathan Blakes in Morgan County TN but these are interesting stories.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mlmckenzie/Cheshire...
CHESHIRE CO. (New Hampshire)Keene is one of the most flourishing towns in New Hampshire. The soil is ofvarious kinds, and generally good.
~cut~

The usual scourge, which attended the frontier settlements, visited this town. In 1745 the Indians killed Josiah Fisher, a deacon of the church: in 1746, they attacked the fort, the only protection of the inhabitants. They were, however, discovered by Capt. Ephraim Dorman in season to prevent their taking it. He was attacked by two Indians, but defended himself successfully against them, and reached the fort. An action ensued, in which John Bullard was killed; Mrs. M'Kenney who being out of the fort, was stabbed and died; and Nathan Blake taken prisoner, carried to Canada, where he remained two years. Mr. Blake afterwards returned to Keene, where he lived till his death, in 1811, at the age of ninety-nine years and five months. When he was ninety-four he married a widow of sixty. The Indians burnt all the buildings in the settlement including the meeting-house. The inhabitants continued in the fort until April, 1747,when the town was abandoned. In 1753 they returned, and recommenced their settlements. In 1755 the Indians again attacked the fort. Their number was great, and the onset violent, but the vigilance and courage of Capt. Syms successfully defended it. After burning several buildings, killing cattle, &c., they withdrew. They again invaded the town, but with little success.

http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:HC68_7TeCnAC:www.hsccnh...

Blake was one of Keene's most prominent and respected citizens for nearly seventy-five years during Keene's early days. He married Elizabeth Graves in 1742. Nathan and Elizabeth spent sixty-two years together until her death in 1804.

Two years later, at the age of 94, Nathan decided to remarry and entered into a marriage agreement with Mrs. Mary Brintnall.
~~~
http://www.dartmouth.edu/acad-inst/upne/features/HebertQ&...
There is a fiction book written by Ernest Hebert "The Old American" that incorporates Nathan's true story.

The Monument says, “1736 Nathan Blake built the first log house in Keene on this spot. 1746 Blake was captured by Indians and taken to Canada. 1749 Blake was ransomed by his wife Elizabeth Graves.”
Also I find this part of the author's interview interesting.
"All that’s known of Blake’s captor and his tribe are the few tidbits he left behind in casual conversation recorded by others. He said his captor was an older man with “pretty daughters.” He reported that he had an Indian wife, but, perhaps in deference to his English wife, no details about her personality. "
~~~~~

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/reference/revbib/nh.htm
The only other Blake reference I find associating with Indians is a manuscript at:
US ARMY CENTER OF MILITARY HISTORY
The Continental Army

Blake, Thomas. "Journal of Lieutenant Thomas Blake." In Frederick Cook, editor, Journals of the Military Expedition of Major General John Sullivan Against the Six Nations of Indians in 1779 with Records of Centennial Celebrations (Auburn, N.Y.: Knapp, Peck & Thomson, 1887), pp.38-41.
~~
Also there was a Mrs Blake mentioned in below Battle of the Trough found in a history of Hardy County WV. More on battle at website. No mention if any of the men killed were Blakes.

http://www.mineral-county.com/school/khs/students/a/ahardy.h...
The county was the site of many Indian battles during the 1700s. In the spring of 1756, for example, two Indians, from a party of 60 to 70 warriors, led by Shawnee Chief Killbuck, attacked the farmhouse of a Mrs. Blake on the south fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River, about 15 miles north of Moorefield. They took Mrs. Blake prisoner and killed a Mrs. Neff who was in the farmhouse at the time of the attack. They then traveled to the vicinity of Town Fort, about one and a half miles south of Moorefield and, pretending to have fallen asleep, purposively allowed Mrs. Blake to escape to the fort.
"Early History of West Virginia Counties."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic