Search for content in message boards

Joe Stokes or Mary E. Stokes Arkansas or Missouri

Joe Stokes or Mary E. Stokes Arkansas or Missouri

Posted: 16 May 2001 3:41PM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2003 11:41AM GMT
I am looking for information on my great great grandfather (Joe Stokes) and/or his daughter Mary E. Stokes. They were either from Arkansas or Missouri, the story is told that Joe Stokes built the courthouse in West Plains, Missouri, this would be in the middle 1800's I think.

Thanks,
Donna

Stokes

NANCY STOKES (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2001 8:51PM GMT
I'm doing a family tree and I have found several Joe's but I do not know if they had a daughter by that name if Joe's father was James or John Stokes I may be able to get you more information.I am from Arkansas. Thanks

Joe Stokes

Posted: 18 May 2001 3:08PM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2003 11:41AM GMT
Thank you for answering my posting, the truth is I don't know anything about Joe Stokes' parentage, or even his wife's name the only reason I know his name it is listed on the death certificate for his daughter, my ggrandmother, Mary E. Stokes Halpain, there is a bit of confusion about where she was born and in hopes of maybe finding some information I will include the confusion in this posting. Mary E.'s death certificate lists her birthplace as Tennessee, however; the obituary lists it as Arkansas. We know she was in Arkansas because she married Nathaniel Sinclair Halpain from Howell County, Missouri, and we are concluding that they were married in Missouri or Arkansas although there is no definitive information on that either. I hope maybe some of this information will help you help me please feel free to email me directly donnavan@warwick.net

Re: Joe Stokes

Posted: 27 Jun 2001 2:27AM GMT
Surnames: Stokes
Hello My name is Rebecca Simmons. I live in West Plains, MO. And my grandfather is a Stokes. The name Joe rings a bell. I will do some checking for you and get back with you.

Rebecca

misschiff@townsqr.com

Re: Joe Stokes

Posted: 22 Nov 2002 4:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STOKES, HALPAIN
Just curious if you have found any more information on Joe Stokes and family. It appears to me that Mary E. may have been born in Arkansas. That is listed as her place of birth on the birth certificate of her child, Ella Sledge Halpain 10 Nov 1882. It also says that Nathaniel was born in Tennessee.

Re: Joe Stokes or Mary E. Stokes Arkansas or Missouri

Cheryl (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 2002 11:22PM GMT
Surnames: Stokes
Could your Joe Stokes be a Joel Stokes. I have Joel Allen Stokes b1848 Kentucky but died in Benton Co., Arkansas.
Check out www.my-ged.com/krajnik to see if anything rings bells. Most of my Stokes line migrated into Missouri around Adair Co. and Arkansa but some stayed in Ken.
Cheryl in Idaho

Donna Van Benschoten (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2002 9:18AM GMT
Cheryl,
I doubt that they are the same the only thing I know about Joe is he is listed as Mary E.'s father on her death certificate, I do know she had at least 2 sisters and 1 brother his name was Joe too. I assume they were orphaned because the 1860 census has them living in a household with a different surname.
Donna in PA

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 7:56PM GMT
I am looking for my mothers great grandmother Mary E Stokes. She married Henry Coy in Schuyler county MO April 16, 1867 and divorced him Nov 7, 1889. They had seven children; 5 sons and 2 daughters. Charlie, Ike, Mike, Sike, Frank, Julia L. and Jennie. Jennie was my grandmother. She married Thomas Marion Silvey on Jan 8, 1895. They had 2 daughters and one son name William Otto Silvey. William Otto Silvey is my father. Jennie was murdered Aug 11, 1901 close to Kissee Mills, MO. If you have information on Mary E Stokes (Silvey)(?)please contact me.

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 12:30PM GMT
I am sorry to say the names you have here are not part of my family as far as I can tell. My great grandmother Mary Elizabeth Stokes married Nathaniel S. Halpain and lived in Texas.

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 8:37PM GMT
Surnames: Stokes, Coy
Hi, I have a bit but not much. Maryann Elizabeth Stokes born 1845 inMacon Mo daughter of James Hardin Stokes and Sarah Elizabeth Alloway Strange. She was the younger sister to my great grand father John T Stokes born 1842. I have her marreid to Henry Ewin Coy May 16 1867 and divorced. best to contact privatly at Cheryl Stokes Krajnik Nampa Id cousin2cousin@msn.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic