Search for content in message boards

Wood Families in York County ONT

Wood Families in York County ONT

Posted: 3 Apr 2008 2:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wood
Hello
I seek to chat with any researchers searching for WOOD family surname - from Mt Dennis and areas - anywhere in and around YORK...

I know Robert Hamilton Wood should have relations - first wife must have died - married my relations from England and brought them to Mt Dennis in 1920 -

Thanks

Re: Wood Families in York County ONT

Posted: 4 Apr 2008 4:52PM GMT
Surnames: Wood
I have Wood ancestors that lived, were born and died in Toronto, York County Ontario. Do Henry John Wood, William Henry Wood ring any bells in your lines?

Posted: 4 Apr 2008 11:05PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, Stinson, MacCrea
Hi :

I wish I knew so we could help each other out! I only had this Robert born about 1860 maybe 1859 .....can't dechiper if his dad is the millwright James as on his wedding certif or the other Robert Wood married a Stinson and a MacCrea .....

Do you have such a Robert? I have one picture of him, that's it ------ my grandmother did not like chatting about her step father though he would of raised her from age of 5 on. Would a pic help you to find resemblance?

I see a SAM wood - must be related as I have photo.....perhaps a son by a first marriage and/or a brother but this SAM looks too young for that...

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 1:46PM GMT
Hi:
We posted long ago and now I am just getting to my Robert Wood family. I see by past post that in 1881 James Wood Irish born Ireland farmer age 70 wife Sarah Ann age 50, Irish born Ont?, children: Exaline age 15, henry age 19, Robert age 13 and Charles age 10.

Is this your family as well!? If so I would love to chat off line via private email. This census was Clarence Russel, Ont but I later find my Wood in York. Perhaps this Henry is yours?

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 9:16PM GMT
My name is Robert Wood
My GGGF was Robert Wood, born 1857 in Yorkshire, England
He died in Lakeview, Ont, in 1949
His wife was Rosie Riley.
Is this your family?
My email address is: bobwood2000@hotmail.com
Bob

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 9:57PM GMT
Hi Bob, unfortunately not. My Robert was born Jan 22, 1860 (approx on year could have bee n1859) died 1929 Christie Hospital in Ontario. Wish you were related so we could discuss the Wood family and their kin.

thanks

Posted: 1 May 2012 1:49PM GMT
Hi
Do you have any info on other members of your Robet?
Christie St. hospital was for soldiers wounded in the first and second wars.
There is a family of Wood's in the Peterborough Ontario area
that have a Robert Wood who came to Canada back in the 1800's
You can find them on Ancestry.com
My Robert came to Canada in either 1866 or 1869, from Yorkshire.
I have spent many hours on Ancestry looking for him in England and his travel to Canada
I did find him in Canada census of 1881, but nothing before that.
His father was George. His mother's maiden name was Richardson, I think
Bob

Posted: 1 May 2012 7:35PM GMT
Hi Bob:

The Robert Wood in Peterborough confused me to as he is the same age as my Robert with mine born Carleton County. The Robert you mentioned married a Stevenson and can be found in census records out west, BC if I recall. I have that information on had I can check and see if he is yours?

My Robert was a vet buried in Prospect, though I am not aware of his being wounded, he was old and they put him in the Construction Btt saying he was fit for construction, so I don't think they let him fit.

I can do some searching if you like, since I looked for several of them in the process of finding my own. What area in the census did you find him, York? I ask because in Mt Dennis Ontario was another family of Wood, Robert that was an artist whose father was a preacher as was his fathers father...

Email me triplebay@eastlink.ca and

Posted: 1 May 2012 9:53PM GMT
Hi again
My Robert settled in Yorkville originally, which I beleive was the area of Yonge St. just north of Bloor St.
(It is now an upper scale $$$$$ place.)

He and Rosie stayed in that area through various census'.
He married Abia Clegg in 1910, two years after Rosie died. He was still in that area in the 1911 census.
Abia died in about 1918 in the Toronto Western Hospital, which is on Bathurst St. and is still there.
Robert died in Lakeview which was a summer cottage area in the early 1900's
I have found a lot about Robert and Rosie once they arrived in the Toronto area.
My problem is finding Robert in the passenger lists in 1866 or 1869 and in the English census and birth lists. I Know that according to the handout at his funeral it said that he was born in Yorkshire, and I am sure that he was in his 93rd year at the time of his death.
The problem is, that in those years, they showed very little information about the person, and it is not possible to identify which one is my Robert. My aunt has the Wood family bible, and I have copies of the births, deaths, and marrieges, but there is nothing in them that tell anything of his previous history
Are you in Canada?
I live in Brampton Ont.
I am heading home on Friday and should be there by next Tuesday.
We have a long distance phone plan that covers anywhere in Canada.
I am also on Skype.
Perhaps we can talk directly at your convenience.
Keep in touch.
Bob

Posted: 1 May 2012 11:34PM GMT
Hi Bob:

No I lived in Eastern Canada, don't like the "telephone" much and don't use Skye or Webcams. I can be emailed though.

I will see if I can find anything for you - did the funeral card not have date of funeral giving you are year of birth if you thought he was 93 - it would be a help!

triplebay@eastlink.ca
per page

Find a board about a specific topic