Search for content in message boards

Family History Library Catalogue

Family History Library Catalogue

Posted: 6 Dec 2011 3:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Is the above available on Ancestry.com? If so how do i access it. I don't seem to be able to find a link for it.
I am searching for a relative's birth and marriage cert. After entering the details on here, i found the info , however couldn't view it and was promted to view it on the family history library catalogue.

Kind regards
Janette

Re: Family History Library Catalogue

Posted: 6 Dec 2011 8:26PM GMT
There's a Family History Library Catalog on the FamilySearch.org site (the Mormon church's site). The catalog won't give you the specific record you're looking for; it's a list of microfilmed records that are available to be viewed at one of the Family History Centers. These microfilms are often films of original records at clerks of court offices, cemeteries, etc.

However, the FamilySearch.org site does have a search engine which will search their records that are online, and there are quite a few online. I'd suggest you search the site first, and if your records don't come up, then browse the catalog to see which films might contain the information you're looking for.

Posted: 7 Dec 2011 2:15AM GMT
Something doesn't seem right -- ancestry.com doesn't prompt users to go to familysearch.org -- (as far as I know...?)

Which birth and marriage certificates are you seeking? If you post the names/info, we could probably get the details for you.

Posted: 7 Dec 2011 8:01AM GMT
Janette, you probably found a search result from an index that Ancestry.com acquired from the LDS' Family History Library. Ancestry.com recently acquired quite a few such indexes. Ancestry lists the source as the FHL microfilm number such and such.

As stated by another, the actual microfilms are listed in the FHL Library Catalog. The LDS' Historical Records site has the same indexes, and as also already noted, many of the actual images are also posted on that site:

https://www.familysearch.org

If you are looking at WV items, the images are at the WV Archives vital records site:

http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_select.aspx

--except for post-1970 death records.

Posted: 7 Dec 2011 9:36AM GMT
Sorry prompt seems to be the wrong word i used. However i have now figured it out thanks to everyones help.

I am fairly new to all this and find some parts very confusing :-)

Thank you all !

Regards Janette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions