Search for content in message boards

Joseph Hayden ROUTH

Joseph Hayden ROUTH

William Perkins Nash, lll (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Routh, Nash, Maddox, Percifield, Bales
Joseph Hayden ROUTH

My great grandfather was Joseph Hayden Routh who sold the land where Ballinger is locaded to the railroad in 1886. I was born in my grandmother's house at the foot of the hill on 8th street in 1919. My grandmother was Emma Amanda Melvina Routh Nash. My grandfather, William Perkins Nash, was a type setter at the Newapaper. I would like any information and pictures about the old days and my ancestors.

Re: Joseph Hayden ROUTH

Posted: 28 Jan 2006 3:57AM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2006 3:43AM GMT
Surnames: ROUTH , PERKINS, NASH, SCALLORN
JOSEPH HAYDEN 111BORN JAN 13, 1903 HAD 2 SISTERS, VERLYN RUTH ROUTH AND ELIZABETH AILEEN ROUTH. vERLYN WAS MY GRANDMOTHER AND I HAVE FOUND SOME PICTURES OF THEM AND THEIR RELATIVES THE " NASH " FAMILY IF INTERESTED. NANCIE EAST DALLAS TEXAS

Posted: 15 Feb 2009 7:54PM GMT
Surnames: ROUTH, NASH
Greetings to all ...

I am descended from the ROUTH family of Runnells County (Ballinger) Texas. Unfortunately, that's about all the details I have on this line of the family.

What I do know is my that my ROUTH family had three children: Nell Marie, born: May 20, 1909, Kathryn, born: February 14, 1908, and Will Edwin, born: Unk.

Father's name is A. M. Routh, Mother's name is unknown.
I believe this line is connected to the marriage of Emma A. ROUTH and William P. NASH, married 5 June 1890 in Runnells County, Texas.

There was also a probate case in Runnells County, Texas involving this ROUTH Family in 1914. I'm assuming it was probably due to a parent's death.

If anyone has information on this family, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks !

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 3:30PM GMT
Surnames: Nash, Routh, Moore
I found the following information from Emma Amanda Nash's death cert.;

Emma Amanda Nash
Widow
March 2, 1870
May 5, 1962
Died Brownwood, Brown, Texas
Father: Joseph Hayden Routh
Mother: Amanda M. McDaniel
Informant: Jessie Routh Moore
Burial: Evergreen Cemetery, Ballinger, TX

Attachments:

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 7:26PM GMT
Surnames: ROUTH, NASH
Thanks for posting the death cert. Still not sure how it may fit into my tree, but eventually I'll figure it all out. I have decided to post a scan of an old post card I inherited after NELL MARIE ROUTH passed away. I'm not really sure who is in the picture, but the card was mailed to a Mrs. A.M. Routh just after the turn of the century. Youll notice it was originally mailed to OAKLAND, Texas, then evidently forwarded to MULDOON, Texas. Both towns are now essentially "Ghost Towns" according to my research. If anyone can help me make sense of the clues here, I'd certainly appreciate it.
Attachments:

Posted: 8 Oct 2009 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: ROUTH
Nancie, I am most interested in the photographs you mentioned. Please contact me here so we can talk further about this ROUTH family.

Thanks !

Posted: 8 Oct 2009 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: ROUTH
William, Joseph Hayden Routh, Jr. is my great grandfather. I'd like to contact you and exchange information on this family. Please reply to this message board.

Thanks!

Posted: 4 Feb 2012 5:39AM GMT
Joseph Hayden Routh's five children were James Kensington Routh, William Amercrombie Routh, Emma Amanda Routh, Joseph Hayden Routh Jr. and Josie Bradshaw Routh. However, Emma was also known by Amanda Malvina Routh or A. M. Routh so I don't know how your father's name could be A. M. Routh.

I didn't find the information on the 1914 probate case. Could you tell me more information about the 1914 probate case?

Posted: 4 Feb 2012 3:51PM GMT
Surnames: Routh,Maddox,Ballou,Nash,O'Daniel,Scallorn
I've progressed in my research since that message was posted:

Husband: Joseph Hayden Routh, Sr.
Born: April 2, 1841 Barry County, Missouri
Married: August 19, 1865 Fayette County, Texas
Died: June 17, 1923 Ballinger, Runnels County, Texas
Buried: 21 Jun 1923 Place: Evergreen Cemetery, Ballinger, Runnels, Texas

Parents:Dr. Kenzie Routh and Amanda Melvina Murrell

Wife: Amanda Elizabeth O'Daniel
Born: October 6, 1847 Plum Grove, Fayette County, TX
Died: February 26, 1893 Ballinger, Runnels County, Texas
Buried: Evergreen Cemetery, Runnels Co.

Parents:James O'Daniel and Elizabeth Alice Scallorn

Children:

1) M James Kensington Routh
Born: November 28, 1866 Plum Grove, Fayette County, TX
Died: January 9, 1874 Plum Grove, Fayette County, Texas

2) M William Abercrombie Routh
Born: March 13, 1868 Plum Grove, Fayette County, Texas
Died: May 6, 1872 Plum Grove, Fayette County, Texas

3) F Emma Amanda Melvina Routh
Born: March 2, 1870 Plum Grove, Fayette County, Texas
Spouse: William Perkins Nash, Sr.
Married: June 5, 1890 Runnels County, Texas
Died: May 14, 1962 Brownwood, Brown County, Texas

4) M Joseph Hayden Routh, Jr.
Born: April 30, 1872 Plum Grove, Fayette County, Texas
Spouse: Greola Jane Ballou/Bolen
Married: November 18, 1893 Ballinger, Runnels County, Texas
Died: December 24, 1915 Ballinger, Runnels County, Texas
5) F Josie Bradshaw Routh
Born: November 28, 1874 Plum Grove, Fayette County, Texas
Spouse: Robert Lee Maddox
Married: April 20, 1898 Runnels County, Texas
Died: January 10, 1931 Ballinger, Runnels County, Texas

The probate case was actually dated July 14, 1916 and concerned the children of Joseph Hayden Routh, Jr. He died in Runnels County on 24 December 1915. Although I haven't yet obtained it, it concerned Kathryn, Nell Marie, and Will Edwin Routh who were minors at the time of his death.

It is most likely that the post card was sent to Mrs. Emma "Amanda Melvina" Routh as it is dated 1908. I've speculated that she was named her paternal grandmother, Amanda Melvina Murrell.

Muldoon is a town in southwestern Fayette County, Texas 10 miles north of Flatonia, and 16 miles southwest of La Grange.

Since it was originally addressed to her in Oakland, Texas then forwarded to Muldoon the possibility exists that perhaps Mrs. A.M. Routh was previously residing in Oakland around that time.

There are six communities named Oakland active in 1908. I think the most probable are these two:

The Oakland in Colorado County is just southwest of the intersection of Farm roads 532 and 2144, on the Lavaca county line eight miles south of Weimar in northwest Colorado County. It is on a site originally granted to James Bowie. As early as 1844 the community, then called Prairie Point, had a store on the stage line between Columbus and Gonzales. In 1884 the town had 200 inhabitants, a public school, three general stores, a saloon, a steam cotton gin, two churches, and grist and saw mills. In 1900 Oakland had a population of 264, and in 1904 the community had one school with sixty-five white pupils and another school with eighty-one black pupils.

The Oakland located Brazoria County is one mile west of Freeport and one mile north of State Highway 36 in south central Brazoria County. Oakland was the name of the plantation of Henry William Munson, who came to the county in 1828 and purchased land from Stephen F. Austin. State highway maps of 1936 showed a church and school at the site, but in 1974 only St. Joseph Church, an adjacent cemetery, and scattered dwellings remained.

Of the two above, I think it most likely she was at one time, located in Oakland, Colorado County. More research is required, however.

There were also towns named Oakland in Cherokee, Houston, Hopkins and Van Zandt Counties.

My father's name isn't A.M. Routh - perhaps I didn't make that clear in the original post. My relation to the Routh family is through my paternal grandmother.

Appreciate your response and interest.

Posted: 4 Feb 2012 3:58PM GMT
DYK? Joseph Jr.'s death certificate filed as James Hodee Routh.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic