i am wondering where my family fits in?
father dail edward chaffin
grandfather bud chaffin
great grandmother m.(?) harris
grandmother genette chaffin
mother mary ann andres (maiden)
grandmother joan kiehle (maiden)
grandfather frank andres

let me know, im wondering just how related people are by their names.

peace jc

Chaffin/Chafin genealogy

Scott Chafin (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2000 8:15PM GMT
Jason,

If you want to know, you have to pose the questions properly, and you have to use proper grammar (proper names should be capitalized; I know it's popular to type everything in lower case, but in genealogy, it's really annoying). Describe where your father was born, when, when he was married; where he lived; and if he's not still living, when and where he died. Do the same for every generation you know as far back as you know.

For example, here's mine:

Father: Othel Viron Chafin (b. 5 Jun 1923, Port Arthur, Jefferson Co, TX; d. 5 Jun 1997, Georgetown, Williamson Co, TX) married (17 Aug 1947, Georgetown, Williamson Co., TX) ) Norma Beatrice Bartley (b. 1 Sep 1925)

Grandfather: James L Medie Chafin (b. 18 Aug 1896, near Marietta, Love Co. OK; d. 20 Aug 1958, Georgetown, Williamson Co., TX) married (3 Jan 1921, Waco, McLennan Co., TX) Mary Josephine Oney (b. 2 Feb 1903, Waco, McLennan Co., TX; d. 21 Nov 1993, Austin, Travis Co., TX)

G-Grandfather: Joseph Newton Chafin (b. 18 Jun 1848, Newton Co., GA; d. 6 Jul 1934, Lampasas Co., TX) m. (1/17 Nov 1871, Blount Co, AL) Piety Ballard; (2/c.1881, prob. Marion Co, AL) Julia Dean Self (b. 23 Jun 1865, Marion Co., AL; d. 31 May 1953, Williamson Co., TX)

GG-Grandfather: William Chafin, Jr. (b. 1811, Jasper Co., GA; d. 12 Jul 1886, Fayette Co., AL) m. (1/4 Aug 1834, Newton Co., GA) Sarah N. Jones (b.c. 1808, prob. Jasper Co., GA; d.c. 1870, prob. Blount Co., AL); (2/c. 1871, Mary Ann ?)

GGG-Grandfather: William Chaffin, Sr. (b.c. 1773, Charlotte Co., VA; d. bt. 1860-1870, Newton Co., GA)

GGGG-Grandfather: Joshua Chaffin, Jr. (b.c. 1750, Charlotte Co., VA; d.c. 1835, Jasper Co., GA)

If you'll do it like that, someone might recognize a name or place and be able to help. Throwing out names with nothing more makes it virtually impossible for anyone to help. Try again with more detailed information. Good luck!

And just so you know, until the adoption of vital statistics laws "Chaffin" and "Chafin" were virtually identical.

Re: Chaffin/Chafin genealogy

Posted: 15 Nov 2001 1:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 May 2002 12:04AM GMT
Scott,
I think I may have corresponded with you in the past on the Chaffins. Has the relation between these two early Georgia Chaffin families been established? I am referring to your line in Jasper County, GA. and my line in the Habersham and Cherokee County, GA areas. My line (Amos Chaffin and sons)was first in GA between 1822-1824.
Lowell C. Chaffin, a fellow researcher, places Amos' birthplace in Charlotte Co., VA. he married and lived in the Burke County, NC area for many years, c.1775-1822. His brother Abner settled in Jackson Co., TN, leaving Burke County, NC abt. 1799. Another brother Elias Chaffin moved to Illinois Territory where he died after 1834.
I find the movement of these families remarkable. In Georgia, your line settled in the Jasper County area, a little over 50 miles to the south of mine. Then, your GG Grandfather William Chafin died in Fayette Co., AL in 1886, very near where my GGG Grandfather Elias Chaffin died on the Lamar/Fayette Co. line in 1891. And then, my line moved to Bell and McCulloch County, TX , again in near proximity to your line in Lampasas, McLennan, and
Williamson.

Re: Chaffin/Chafin genealogy

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 4:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chaffin
Hello,
I have the ancestrial line. Would you like to view my family tree at ancestry.com?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Judy Beckwith Williams
ancestryobsession@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions