Search for content in message boards

Rose Coghlan

Rose Coghlan

Posted: 31 Dec 2003 2:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a picture of Rose Coglan- from the Fair Photography in New York. I am in Iowa (Milo)- just curious why this would be in my family album of the Godloves, Jacobs and Johnson- any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lori Godlove Frazier

Re: Rose Coghlan

Posted: 1 Aug 2007 10:38PM GMT
Rose was Irish/American actress. Her father was Francis M. Coghlan who published Coghlans Continental Guide and was friend to Charles Dickens. Hope this helps. good luck.

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 10:14PM GMT
Surnames: Coghlan
Hi i have a Francis M Coghlan in my tree. Please can you confirm what the M stands for?elaine.coghlan@virign.net

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 3:52AM GMT
Edited: 29 Apr 2012 3:53AM GMT
Surnames: COGHLAN, KUHLY, MORRISON
The census of 1851 shows the family in Peterborough, Northamptonshire, at No. 3 Market Place. The Head of the house is not at home. Wife is "Ann COGHLAN, 31, born Jersey, Channel Islands." (Info from Wikipedia indicates her name was Amie Marie COGHLAN, nee KUHLY.)

Children are Charles, 8, born Paris, France; Frank, 2, born Wandsworth, Surrey; and Rosamond, 1 month, born Peterborough.

Also in the house is Mrs. COGHLAN's widowed mother, "Anna N. KIRBY" (KUHLY??) 69, born Earsham, Norfolk.

The 1861 census finds the family in Kingston-upon-Hull, Yorkshire. Head is Francis Coghlan, 55, "Author, Topographical", born Dublin, Ireland. Wife's name is spelled Amie. Son Charles, 18, is a "Comedian". Frank, 12, is an Apprentice Ship Broker. Rosamond, 10, is in school.

Wikipedia has quite a long article about the actor son Charles Francis COGHLAN and his family.

I am interested in the COGHLANs because Francis' daughter Frances married William Daniel MORRISON in 1850.

It appears that Frances Susan (b. 1824) and her sister Mary Catherine (b. 1822) were the daughters of Francis COGHLAN and an earlier wife named Catherine COGHLAN. In 1851, this earlier wife was still alive, and describing herself as "married", occupation "Traveller's Guide's Wife"....

Jane Elderfield
per page

Find a board about a specific topic