Search for content in message boards

Mullins

Mullins

Posted: 21 Jun 2004 4:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for information on two people:

Death-
Andrew Jackson Mullins d. 26 February 1931 in Cranes Nest, Diskenson County, VA. (I think)

Birth-
Nancy Ann Mullins b. 19 March 1881. I just received a copy of her death certificate and all it says is place of birth Virginia. I'm guessing since her father lived in Dickenson County maybe it's possible she was born here.

Thanks in advance for any help and any information that can be found is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kim Roulo

Re: Mullins, Andrew Jackson

Posted: 21 Jun 2004 10:28PM GMT
This is "Black Jack" Mullins b10/10/1840 Shelby Creek, Kentucky d02/26/1931 Cranesnest as you have stated. Married Hannah Rife: Children: James Floyd; Arvid Sampson; Kenos Pharo; Paris Roscoe; Claudius Nero; William Freeling; Henry Weddington; Elizabeth; Dicy Jane; Polly Matilda; Charlotte; Nancy Anne; Logan Presley "Blackhawk" Mullins. I show Nancy Anne married Joe Powers. Sorry I can't be of more assistance regarding Nancy.

Re: Mullins

Posted: 26 Jun 2004 6:29AM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2008 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Mullins
It appears that Andrew Jackson "Black Jack" Mullins moved between VA and KY according to census records.
In the 1880 Census he was residing in Wise Co. VA, in the 1900 Census he was in Kennedy Magisterial District, Dickenson County, VA F# 138. In the 1920 Census he was living with his son, William F. Mullins, F# 76, Kennedy District, Lick Fork Precinct.

1880 Wise Co. VA Census
Walker District, F# 53
Mullins, A.J., 41, laborer, b. KY, parents b. KY;
Hannah, 38, b. VA, father b. VA, mother b. KY;
James F., 19, son, b. KY;
Harred S., 16, son, b. KY;
Sarah E., 15, dau, b. KY;
Kanes (?) F., 13, son, b. VA;
Paris R., 12, son, b. VA;
Clodes N., 11, son, b. VA;
Rhodia J., dau, b. KY;
Charloty, 6, dau, b. KY;
William F., 5, son, b. KY;
Henry W., 2, son, b. VA

As Nancy was born in 1881 it is very likely that she was born in either Wise Co VA or Dickenson Co. VA, rather than KY.

David Hibbitts (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2004 5:52AM GMT
FYI Andrew "Black Jack" Mullins and Hannah Rife are buried in the Hibbitts Cemetery near Darwin, Va.

Posted: 9 Oct 2006 6:46PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2008 11:25PM GMT
Surnames: Mullins
Sorry to butt in But are Black Jack and Brandy Jack
Mullins the same person. I have a Brandy Jack Mullins
showing up in my search oof the Rose.Hill families of Wise VA.

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 8:38PM GMT
Surnames: Mullins, Rose, Hill
My records reveal they are two different individuals. Both had the same name, Andrew Jackson, but 'Black Jack' was bc 23 Sep 1839 Pike Co, Ky- d.26 Feb 1931 Dickenson Co, VA, the son of James S. & Mary (Newsome) Mullins. He m. Hannah Rife, abt 1861. 'Brandy Jack' was bc Feb 1824 in Lawrence Co (now Carter Co), KY and was married 4 times. He was the son of Sherwood & Mary (Roberts) Mullins. The reason he shows up in your search of Rose/Hill families is probably because his 2d wife was Phoebe Vance, dau of David & Elizabeth (Rose) Vance; Elizabeth's parents were Elias and Nancy (Hill) Rose.
Posted: 30 Oct 2008 5:06AM GMT
Dear Kim,
Go to you local libary or buy a copy of "The Melungeons"
by N.Brent Kennedy. It has the family trees of the author, who is related to Andrew Jackson Mullins. He is listed in the index six different times and his picture is on page 19. I just finished reading this book and it is wonderful.
Hope this helps. Laura
Posted: 30 Oct 2008 5:19AM GMT
Dear Kim,
May have the wrong Andrew Jackson Mullins. This one is "Brandy Jack". Laura

Posted: 8 Jun 2014 6:14PM GMT
No they are not the same person. Brandy Jack is my G-G Granddad.

Posted: 8 Jun 2014 6:17PM GMT
Brent is my cousin and he has written some good books with some good information in them.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic